PDA

View Full Version : cell phone/iPad reception

pidge9101
03-08-2012, 01:37 PM
Can anyone tell me what the reception is like, if any, with cell phones or the use of an iPad? Never been on a cruise before, so this might be a silly question. Thank you!

joonyer
03-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Once you leave port, you will have to pay dearly for cell service or internet connections. Someone here can give us a current price, I'm sure.

DizneyRox
03-08-2012, 08:43 PM
From Disney's site regarding Internet pricing:

Internet Rates
Internet/Wireless Internet Access
For sailings less than 7-nights:
Pay as you go - $0.75 per minute
50 min for $27.50 ($.55 per minute)
100 min for $40 ($.40 per minute)
250 min for $75 ($.30 per minute)

Internet/Wireless Internet Access
For sailings 7-nights or longer:
Pay as you go - $0.75 per minute
100 min for $55.00 ($.55 per minute)
250 min for $100 ($.40 per minute)
500 min for $150 ($.30 per minute)

Most cruise ships have cell towers on board, reception shouldn't be an issue. I think when I called RCCL last summer, and then ATT for rates, i could have purchased an Internation Roaming plan, which pasically saved me about $.20 a minute on calls. But still it was like $2.29 a minute for a cell phone call.

USVI are considered USA and cell phones work great and are just subject to your normal data/call charges. Anywhere else, and you're on International roaming.

My advice, turn off cell phones once on a ship. I've heard stories of people thinking that since they were in port they were good, until the bill comes and they discovered they were connected to the ship tower.

WiFi, at least you have some control, and you'll need to supply a CC to access it.

wildernesslady
03-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Don't do it. My daughter currently works on the Dream and her first phone bill was over $400. She thought she updated her phone correctly with the best plan. Definitely turn off your phones as you are leaving port.

We do video chat occasionally, and the connection isn't the best.

pidge9101
03-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Thank you all for your input. My husband has his own business and needs to have phone/internet access 24 hours a day. Maybe a cruise isn't the best for us. But thank you for all of the info...It was very helpful! :mickey: