PDA

View Full Version : Poly - Just got back! Arrival day

DisneyBarb
03-07-2012, 11:34 PM
Dates March 2nd - 6th
Where - Poly
Who - me , DH, DD (16), DS (13)

We usually go in November with the exception of 1 trip DH and I made in March back in 2004. We are lucky enough to go every other year or so, our last visit the four of us was Nov 2009 and it was as close to perfect as possible. My DS and mom went on a quick trip in October 2010.

Surprised the kids at Christmas with luggage tags in their stockings. I was worried about going in March due to weather and crowds, did research, talk to friends and figure we would beat the spring break crowds, stay tuned to see if that worked out!

Karen at MJ was great as usual, when I changed our schedule several times, we booked the free dining package from March 3 - 6th and added an extra night (room only) about a month ago for the additional night arriviving on the 2nd The airfare difference made it worth it!

We had a 1:40 flight on JetBlue out of Logan, I woke up with a killer migraine and made DS nervous that we would not be able to make it. Thanks to my family and meds, last minute packing was done and we were on our way. Security, flight all went well, lots of turbulence (had to suspend service for a bit) but didn't bother us at all.

I never seem to have a smooth time finding M.E. although have used them at least 6 times! We were in terminal A (should have been in B) but quickly recovered and on our way to the Poly by 5:20.

I thought booking 2 separate ressies (room only and package the remainder) may cause an issue. The desk clerk clearly had an issue as he made a few phone calls (we requested Samoa or Tahiti and to stay in the same room) but he never let on that it was an issue. It took a bit but we got a top room in Samoa and did not have to check in and out (I had done on line check in for both nights).

We unloaded our carry-ons and ate at Capt cooks, DH did not like the hamburger, but the flatbreads were tasty.

We decided to make our way to Downtown Disney, being a Friday night we expected it to be crowded and it was! Did some window shopping and a hot fudge sundae at Ghiardellis made the night complete!

Overall impressions -

JetBlue - we paid a bit more but feel its worth it for the times we wanted and having that t.v. makes the trip for us go by fast!

M.E. - smooth, quick and can't complain about the price!

Poly - We do everything we can to stay here, whether its a shorter trip or we are not able to go as often. DS and I walk into the lobby and take in the tropical smell and relax very quickly!
The desk clerk was fantastic.

Downtown Disney - Nice way to spend a couple of hours, we usually do DisneyQuest but did not get it on our passes this year. Ghiardellis was crowded but quick service

Bus - Lucky enough to catch the busses quickly

Day 2 - 3 parks in a day and monorail (non) service!

vizsla
03-08-2012, 05:27 AM
Thanks for the report.

DisneyorBust
03-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Other than the migraine and a bit of turbulance, your trip is off to a great start!
Poly fans here as well, I took my oldest DD for a short Dad/daughter getaway back in January and although the Poly wasn't in the budget for her trip we did stop by and visit our "home away from home". Just love that resort.

KylesMom
03-08-2012, 09:37 AM
I agree - other than the bout of turbulence, it sounds like your arrival day was a success! :mickey:

Suz36
03-08-2012, 01:35 PM
So excited to see your reports from the Poly - we arrive there on Saturday! Do you remember the order of your ME drop off? Good start to your trip. The hot fudge sundae sounds yummy.

faline
03-08-2012, 06:28 PM
I know what you mean about walking into the Poly! Sounds like your trip is off to a fine start!

emerzmom
03-08-2012, 06:35 PM
I just stayed at the Poly for the first time. I loved it! Sorry about your migraine but it sounds like you made it through it okay. We were there close to the same days as you guys. The crowds got heavier each day we were there.
:mickey:
Julie

DisneyBarb
03-08-2012, 07:10 PM
So excited to see your reports from the Poly - we arrive there on Saturday! Do you remember the order of your ME drop off? Good start to your trip. The hot fudge sundae sounds yummy.

We were dropped off first! I believe we always are, we were in the lobby well within in the hour of landing! Have fun!

DisneyBarb
03-08-2012, 07:14 PM
I just stayed at the Poly for the first time. I loved it! Sorry about your migraine but it sounds like you made it through it okay. We were there close to the same days as you guys. The crowds got heavier each day we were there.
:mickey:
Julie

I couldn't believe the crowds by the time we left! Glad we got alot done the first day!

SBETigg
03-08-2012, 07:33 PM
I love the Poly, too. Ghirardelli's sounds really good right about now!

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Sounds like a good beginning. I would love to stay at the Poly one day.

buzznwoodysmom
03-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Your off to a great start!!! And I'm off to read more!

LilHooligan74
03-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the report! Would love to stay at the Poly...

DizNee143
03-15-2012, 08:34 AM
Things were a little rocky to start out with..but seemed to have gotten better as the day went on :mickey:

Tigerinvestigator
04-09-2012, 11:42 AM
I agree nothing beats the smell of the Poly, or walking into the GCH and knowing you have a full vacation ahead of you!:thumbsup:

January-2007
05-22-2012, 10:38 PM
Thanks for reporting!