PDA

View Full Version : Em's Birthday Resort Hoppin Trip Day 2

emerzmom
03-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Me: Birthday Girl's Mom
DD: Birthday Girl (turning 22 on this trip)
2/28-3/5
Poly, BLT, AKL

Day 2 Wednesday 2/29 Leap Day!
Well, after a not so restful night I woke up around 6:30. My DD was still sleeping. I took a shower, got dressed, and went down to the Concierge Lounge to get coffee. The place was hoppin! There were a lot of families and even a few princesses having breakfast and watching cartoons on the TV. I was surprised at the selection offered for breakfast: cereals, fresh fruits, bagels, hot oatmeal, etc. oh..and the famous Pog Juice. I tried it but thought it was a little too sweet. I walked around the resort for a while to let my DD sleep as long as possible. She finally woke up and said she was feeling a little better. I brought her coffee and juice. She got dressed and we got our bags together. I called Bell Service and they sent someone fairly quick to pick up our bags to be transferred to BLT. (this was as easy and smooth as I was told it would be) My DD said she really wanted to try to get out so we took the monorail to MK. I warned her that I thought it was going to be REALLY crowded because it was the BIG “One Disney Day” Leap Day 24 hour celebration @ MK. She said we always go to MK first to see the castle and that’s what she wanted to do. We had already missed one day so I said "let's go for it". Well, to my surprise it was not that crowded. We got our “One Disney Day” buttons and a Birthday Button for my Birthday Girl but she said she was only going to wear it on her actual birthday. I still wanted her to have it. We said “hello” to the castle and then rode our traditional 1st ride Haunted Mansion. We then rode PoC and walked around for a little while. She started to drag so I suggested we hop on the monorail and see if there was any chance our room might be ready. After walking all around BLT we finally figured out that check in was at the Contemporary Check In. There was a convention going on (I think a few) and it was kind of busy. It was odd seeing so many suits checking into a WDW resort. After a short wait we were so happy to hear our room was ready! We were on the 2nd floor and had a studio semi-MK view (it was slightly blocked by something on the building but we could still see most of it!). The room was very nice but small. One full size (maybe queen, not sure) bed with a pull out couch, efficiency type kitchen with a microwave, mini fridge, and a sink. I had read that some said the sink for the bathroom was in the kitchen but we had a sink in the bathroom. The sink area had some shelves that were nice for putting our toiletries. The bathroom was pretty small and we did end up needing to use the kitchen for some hair drying, make up, etc. That was weird but we didn’t use the kitchen much food prep so I was okay with it. My DD took some more meds and grabbed a short nap. I went to the Contemporary food market to buy some coffee creamer, milk, cereal, and water bottles (the tap water at WDW tastes so weird to me). After her short nap we hopped on the monorail and headed to GF for afternoon tea at the Garden Tea Room. It was nice as usual however I can’t help but think that the Dining Plan has diminished the quality of food and atmosphere at many of the restaurants. The tea was a great example. They used to serve the tea with very pretty real china and they had matching tea pots that had pot warmers to put over them at the table to keep the water warm. It was always really lovely and we never felt rushed. Now, no china, no warmers, very plain, and we felt a little rushed through the whole thing. They also used to explain the tea service to new visitors however that didn’t happen either. I am not saying it wasn’t nice, it was, it just wasn’t as nice as it used to be. (the good old days I guess). After tea we went back to the room for another short rest for my DD. We then went to HS for a little walk around and an ADR at 50’s Prime Time at 7:00. We shared the pot roast and enjoyed watching some kids get in trouble for putting their elbows on the table. A group of 3 families was sitting near us and the kids were all getting “Clean Plate” stickers when one of the dads picked up his plate and started licking it (yes, literally licking his plate clean). Well, “Mom” was not amused but gave him a sticker and took his plate quickly. He then started to put his elbows on the table and did quite a bit to get attention. “Mom” told him to straighten up as he was setting a bad example for the other kids but he just wouldn’t give it up. “Mom” tried everything from scolding him to ignoring him. It got really awkward. I think the whole scenario at 50’s Prime Time is fun and adults should have fun too but I think that they should also know where the line is. My DD commented that she would have been mortified if that was her dad. Oh well, the pot roast was good and I was glad my DD was at least out for a little while. Back to BLT. We missed Wishes but my DD was tired and ready for bed. Our pre-trip plans were to go to MK after midnight and stay all night. That was clearly NOT happening. So, off to sleep for us.
Tomorrow EPCOT.

faline
03-07-2012, 06:36 PM
At least you were able to get into the parks for a little bit even if you weren't able to do exactly what you'd planned.

KylesMom
03-08-2012, 03:35 PM
While your daughter clearly wasn't herself yet, I'm glad to hear that you were able to venture out today. I know it wasn't the day you had planned, but you still got to see that castle! Hopefully by Day 3 Em will be feeling much better. Thanks for sharing - ups & downs and all! :mickey:

SBETigg
03-08-2012, 03:54 PM
I'm glad your daughter was feeling well enough to get out for a bit. I agree with you about the dining plan, and it's a shame your tea service wasn't quite what it used to be. Also, I'm laughing at the guy at 50s Prime Time. Some people really do cross those lines. Poor server.

DizNee143
03-15-2012, 09:15 AM
So glad she's feeling at least a little better! And that you guys got to get out and do a few things! :mickey:

vizsla
03-18-2012, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the report.