PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning Released from Colts

diz_girl
03-07-2012, 02:12 PM
Now we know, the Colts released Peyton Manning. Any thoughts on the fate of the Colts without Peyton and who might pick him up?

If last season is any indicator of the Colts performance without Manning, I'd guess that they'll be experiencing a couple more seasons of the same. How much will his leaving affect ticket sales?

Of course, no one's certain how Manning will play now, but I can see a lot of teams expressing interest. Vick, smick, maybe Manning won't mind wearing a green jersey next season. We're used to injured quarterbacks.

Goofy4TheWorld
03-08-2012, 08:57 AM
Curse of the Bambino v2.0

lol

princessgirls
03-08-2012, 10:56 AM
The Colts, Division rivals of the JETS...so I always dreaded any match up with Peyton at the helm. That being said, the guy is classy. In a league full of ME ME ME players, he stands out as a team player. His news conference yesterday was heartfelt. This is NOT a situation he wanted to find himself in. HE LOVES the game of football.

I wish him a good last couple of seasons with whoever he ends up with. I think he is half crazy for wanted to play with his neck the way it's fused together. He's not ready to give up.
Julie:mickey:

Ian
03-08-2012, 12:55 PM
I'm just going to go on record as saying, "What the heck is this guy thinking???" :confused::confused::confused::confused:

He stayed with one franchise his entire career. He won a Super Bowl. He was league MVP too many times to count. He was MVP of the Super Bowl. He went to countless Pro Bowls. He has been the face of the Colts franchise for 14 years (and arguably the face of the NFL for most of that time, as well) and could no doubt land a lucrative TV job simply by saying, "I'm interested." Oh yeah and he has a fused neck!!!

But instead of riding off into the sunset gracefully he's going to go land with some team where he'll, at best, play two or three more seasons only to wind up just like Joe Montana or Jerry Rice at the end of their careers where people are snickering at them behind their backs? At worst, he'll end up a paraplegic!

I don't get it. Retire, Peyton. You've got your ring. You've got more money than your children's, children's, children could ever spend.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
03-08-2012, 04:38 PM
I can't fault the Colts. The amount of guaranteed money they were going to have to pony up, with his age and suspect health plus the Colts are an aging team. You hate to see it for Peyton, but this was sort of a perfect storm for the Colts. Manning getting hurt basically gave them a free pass to start a new rebuilding program, and now they get another (potential) franchise quarterback to fall into their laps at the right time. Even if Peyton did play for the Colts in 2012-13 I don't know that they return to the playoffs with a suspect to no running game and an aging defense.

Some team that's on the bubble and just needs a mature qb will do well with him, assuming he can return to that level again.