PDA

View Full Version : Property wide wifi and refrigerators coming to Value resorts

Disney Hungarian
03-06-2012, 09:34 PM
From the rumor mill, WDW has gotten permits to install property wide wifi and add refrigerators to all of the Value resort's rooms.

I have not heard of when the wifi will take place. The refrigerators are supposed to be installed by the end of April.

I am liking this news. :thumbsup:

Patricia
03-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Property wide wifi would be the best news! Lets hope that's for guests too and not only internal.

Disney Hungarian
03-06-2012, 09:50 PM
Property wide wifi would be the best news! Lets hope that's for guests too and not only internal.
Their internal is already installed. My phone tries to connect to it all over Disney property... bit annoying actually.

disneydeb
03-07-2012, 07:51 AM
All values or just Pop?

Terra
03-07-2012, 08:12 AM
Drats, I wish it was next week when we'll be at the POP! :mickey:

But this is good news! We're bringing a cooler because we don't want to pay the extra fee a day to rent a fridge.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
03-07-2012, 08:28 AM
Property wide wifi? AND fridges - this means costs at Values will be going up and so with the costs and the Mods AND Deluxes.

Right now Many of the Mods already have wifi, but only in the "public areas".....pool, lobby, etc. So the definition of Property Wide WiFi is subject to interpretation.

Polynesian Dweller
03-07-2012, 09:15 AM
Property wide wifi? AND fridges - this means costs at Values will be going up and so with the costs and the Mods AND Deluxes.

Right now Many of the Mods already have wifi, but only in the "public areas".....pool, lobby, etc. So the definition of Property Wide WiFi is subject to interpretation.

And even wifi is open to interpretation. The announcements I've seen only say wireless not wifi. People seem to assume wireless means wifi. But cellular is also wireless and the technology mentioned is more commonly used for that. So we'll have to see what is actually installed.

PopPhan
03-07-2012, 09:32 AM
Saw the WiFi listing...

Walt Disney World property-wide – installation of WiFi and Distributed Antenna System

...but, the Refrigerators were only shown for Pop...

Disney's Pop Century Resort – carpentry for guest room refrigerator installations

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
03-07-2012, 10:09 AM
The big questions in terms of WiFi - will it just be to boost their internal network or will it be for all guests in ALL locations in the World?

And is this the precursor to the NextGen rumors?

Polynesian Dweller
03-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Saw the WiFi listing...

Where did you see that? The paper work from the contractor, unless it's changed, says property wide wireless, not wifi.

joonyer
03-07-2012, 12:17 PM
My questions would be:

1) does "property wide mean at all WDW resorts? (more likely) or at resorts, theme-parks and other WDW locations (like DTD) (probably less likely)

2) In either case, will access be password protected, for Resort guests only? (my guess in probably so.

I can't imagine Disney being willing to provide free wireless access for everybody at WDW. Somebody, resort guest or ticket holders (or both) will see price increases to cover the cost.

Disney Hungarian
03-07-2012, 12:56 PM
My "assumption" based on other "rumors" ie... Interactive queue at IASW involving smartphones and the Pre-order QS in the parks, that wifi/wireless, is to offer guests a signal with which to access these.

PopPhan
03-07-2012, 01:33 PM
Where did you see that? The paper work from the contractor, unless it's changed, says property wide wireless, not wifi.

Sent you a PM with the site info where I found this...

darthmacho
03-07-2012, 03:09 PM
Well if they install fridges at Pop, that will save me about $150 on my August trip because I was thinking of renting one. Funny, I was just having this conversation with Kathy from Magical Journeys, who was well informed. :thumbsup:

Briansmom
03-07-2012, 07:42 PM
so still will have to pay for internet access at POFQ then, correct? This doesnt mean free internet access, right?

But since I'm a slow learner with the phone technology....if I had a mobile hotspot, it wouldnt be a problem for me use it at the resort, right?

Thanks for bearing with an old lady that is tryin her hardest to keep up with technology...:blush:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
03-08-2012, 08:08 AM
so still will have to pay for internet access at POFQ then, correct? This doesnt mean free internet access, right?

But since I'm a slow learner with the phone technology....if I had a mobile hotspot, it wouldnt be a problem for me use it at the resort, right?

Thanks for bearing with an old lady that is tryin her hardest to keep up with technology...:blush:

Actually, if you don't mind going out to the pool area or the lobby of POFQ - there is free wifi. (The "public areas".)

Goofy4TheWorld
03-08-2012, 08:43 AM
Debbie downer here...I don't like either change.

If you want wireless Internet at WDW (especially outside the room) you probably have a cellular plan to obtain it, I don't want to pay for something so few people truly must have and can't get any other way. Nearly everyone hates the idea of NextGen yet can't go to Disney without being surrounded by 24-7 connectivity to the outside world.

I like that Values can be cheaper because they don't have a fridge, a cooler works just fine for me. Another increase in costs I would politely decline if I had the choice...but I don't.

Wow, I am actually in a really good mood this morning but I sound like such a :old:.

princessgirls
03-08-2012, 11:04 AM
OK...It's 2012, Hotels mostly ALL offer wifi AND a fridge. I think it's about time Disney did too. I know they offer a lot of other nice things like busing to the parks, theming, great CM's to work in the resorts so I think a fridge and some Wifi are almost expected these days!

Julie:mickey:

barnaby
03-08-2012, 01:06 PM

Pop Century is already $5 more a night then the All Stars. That started this year I believe.

Disney Hungarian
03-08-2012, 05:21 PM
Guests staying at Pop Century are reporting free resort wide WiFi today. via tweets

lindique
03-08-2012, 07:16 PM

I stayed at POFQ in February and there was free WIFI in the ROOMS, not just the public areas.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
03-08-2012, 09:31 PM
I stayed at POFQ in February and there was free WIFI in the ROOMS, not just the public areas.
This is good to know - as of now, electronic communication in my house is limited to texting, calls, and computer as all we have is "dumb" phones......well my DH has a "smart" phone paid for thru his work.

Briansmom
03-08-2012, 11:04 PM
This is good to know - as of now, electronic communication in my house is limited to texting, calls, and computer as all we have is "dumb" phones......well my DH has a "smart" phone paid for thru his work.

:ditto: for us too...except it's my daughter that has a smart phone.
The only reason I was curious about the wifi at POFQ is that our DS13 has autism and he LOVES YouTube vidoes of fans, jukeboxes, steam engines, etc, and that helps keep him occupied while in the hotel room so we dont have to worry as much about him trying to get out of the room...his iPad doesnt have the 3G thing so we will need wifi the next trip to help keep our sanity!

This is AMAZING news! Saves us some money next trip!:thumbsup:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
03-09-2012, 07:38 AM
:ditto: for us too...except it's my daughter that has a smart phone.
The only reason I was curious about the wifi at POFQ is that our DS13 has autism and he LOVES YouTube vidoes of fans, jukeboxes, steam engines, etc, and that helps keep him occupied while in the hotel room so we dont have to worry as much about him trying to get out of the room...his iPad doesnt have the 3G thing so we will need wifi the next trip to help keep our sanity!

This is AMAZING news! Saves us some money next trip!:thumbsup:

Now, I know that there has been discussion in the past that youtube has been blocked on the wifi. So, you might want to download some videos that you know your son will watch before you leave.

Briansmom
03-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Now, I know that there has been discussion in the past that youtube has been blocked on the wifi. So, you might want to download some videos that you know your son will watch before you leave.

Thanks for the heads up.....I'm thinking one of those $30/month hotspot thingeys might be in our future....wouldnt have to worry about it then, right?

goofygirl67
03-10-2012, 03:51 PM
I use my mobile hot spot all the time when I am there.
I stayed at POR last week and they did have a 'guest' on the internet connection options but I couldn't get it to work in my room.

Itchy
03-11-2012, 12:58 AM
I saw a report from another site that when they were at POP on March 6th that they had the free WiFi. I hope so for my trip in May and Sept. I will use the heck out of my new tablet.

:mickey::mickey:

big blue and hairy
03-14-2012, 06:47 PM

Not necessarily, for two reasons. One, free wi-fi and fridges are pretty much industry standard. It was time for Disney to catch up. Two, look at the timing of the fridges in the values right along the same time they are ordering a LOT of fridges for Art of Animation. Imagine the per unit discount they must be getting for the amount of fridges they are buying. Good timing I'd say.

:sulley:

i'm grumpy
03-14-2012, 09:30 PM
A fridge might come in handy. But I only have a desk top computer. :funny: