PDA

View Full Version : Ocean temps first week in Dec?

natstroop
03-06-2012, 08:27 PM
We are taking a trip to the world the first week in December. We want to take the kids to see the ocean again. The last time we went though was Oct, so the weather was still nice. Does anyone know if the ocean (either Atlantic or Gulf) will be swimmable then? I've looked up records for temps, etc. but I was wondering if any of you personally knew? Would one side be warmer than the other? Thanks much!

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-06-2012, 08:55 PM
It will be chilly, but my DD will swim in anything at anytime.

So, it is possible, but I wouldn't plan on a beach day ... although this year the weather has been so crazy anything is possible!

Ed
03-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Click here (http://www.tropicalweather.net/picts/daytona_beach_average_beach_water_temperature.jpg) for a chart showing average monthly water temps for Daytona Beach area. The farther south you go, the warmer the water. For example here's the chart for Miami Beach. (http://www.tropicalweather.net/picts/miami_beach_average_beach_water_temperature.jpg)

joonyer
03-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Water temps in the Gulf at Tampa Bay & south, Sarasota St. Pete, will probably be a little bit warmer than the Daytona, Titusville area (but not by much). However it's a longer drive from Orlando.

DisneyDog
03-07-2012, 07:18 PM
I would bet that the Gulf will be fine for swimming. We used to live 5 miles from the Gulf in Naples, and it was always, always warm. Of course, that is 3 hours south of Orlando, but I think you will be fine.

MNNHFLTX
03-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Water temps in Florida in December will be chilly or downright cold at that time of year, even in the Gulf. Or at least too chilly for me to swim in--usually in the low to mid 60's, a few degrees warmer if you go south. In fact, even the ocean water off the Keys only gets to about 70 degrees at that time of year. Okay for wading in on the Gulf side, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to swim.

natstroop
03-07-2012, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I'm not sure if my kids would swim if it was that cold. They complain when the pool gets down below 85. But you never know...we don't get to the ocean all that often and they might just do it. We'll have to just think about it.