PDA

View Full Version : Big Thunder rehab?

FaithTrustPixieDust
03-06-2012, 12:26 PM
I'm sure this is old news to everyone except me. Can someone tell me what the story is with the extensive rehab to Big Thunder Mountain RR? Seems like a very long time to be closed just for regular maintenance.

Thanks

DizneyFreak2002
03-06-2012, 01:29 PM
Fixing some track, and supposedly making the queue interactive and indoors... But I am honestly not sure about the queue part, that is what I read...

Strmchsr
03-06-2012, 04:07 PM
The queue is definitely being inclosed, but no word about how it might be made "interactive" yet. They're also fixing some of the effects that have been dead for a while.

DizneyFreak2002
03-06-2012, 05:14 PM
The queue is definitely being inclosed, but no word about how it might be made "interactive" yet. They're also fixing some of the effects that have been dead for a while.

Thanks for clarification Chris... Making the queue indoors will be welcome...

waymickey
03-06-2012, 07:05 PM
I don't know if I like the idea of them enclosing the line. I will miss seeing the attraction and feeling like I am on the mountain. I like looking out at the fort across the lake and seeing some of the park from higher up. (I am very short so I miss a lot on ground level :blush:) I am also not a fan of the interactive queues. Standing in line talking with my family about what we just saw or what we are about to see is part of the fun. I like seeing all the themeing Disney has put so much thought into and I like watching the train pop out from the cave and seeing everyone on the ride smiling ( or trying to keep down lunch!). I find the attraction to be interactive enough.

I think sometimes people forget to pick their heads up and really notice all that is going on around them and they miss out on a lot.

Ian
03-06-2012, 07:33 PM
The queue is definitely being enclosed ... Not a fan. Part of the charm of that BTMR queue is being able to look out over parts of the ride while you wait. Enclosing it will ruin that feeling.

They're also fixing some of the effects that have been dead for a while.Well there's a novel idea! :D

Wolf
03-08-2012, 04:25 PM
:(Yall's residential panicker right here...Tell me it'll be done by end of Sept??? BTM is my ALLLLLLLL TIME fav ride!!! I might cry if it'll be closed for our 10 day...

zipadeedoodah
03-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Yes, BTMR is scheduled to reopen by the end of May. :)

Wolf
03-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Squee!! :party:

Jared
03-09-2012, 10:50 AM
Seems like a very long time to be closed just for regular maintenance.
This is the attitude that needs to change in order for the parks to return to prominence. Attractions regularly require lengthy refurbishments to keep them operating as intended. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was a disaster for months before Disney finally realized it needed to go down. Splash Mountain could use at least six months as well, but the Orlando management team is so terrified of having two major rides closed simultaneously.

That's a shame, because it cheapens the experience for everyone.

Nobody likes when their favorite is closed during a trip, but it's a necessary reality of running a 24/7, 365-day-a-year theme-park business. Long refurbishments should be embraced, not criticized.

Let's face it -- Peter Pan's Flight could use a year under the knife. Here's hoping it's next on the list when the new Fantasyland opens.

Stu29573
03-09-2012, 10:53 AM
I agree that the enclosed, interactive line doesn't sound wonderful. I could write a book on why I hate interactive lines, but suffice it to say I feel that it shows the decline of civilization as we know it. (ok, maybe not, but man, I really hate 'em!)

I also like looking out over the park while waiting. Its the lull before the ride, so to speak that is nice and relaxing.

Oh well.....

texas211
03-10-2012, 09:35 PM
I agree, closing in will make change it, and take something away. It adds to the ambiance. It'd be like adding movies or something to POTC. The line adds something to the experience. But modern folks need constant stimuli, and perfect conditions.

Itchy
03-11-2012, 12:05 AM
I think everyone who criticize the refurb's of rides should go to 6 flags, that way they can really appreciate what Disney has to offer. I remember the six flags in St Louis advertising " Just as good as Disney World only twice as close".

I don' think so.

Go Disney.... 76 days for first trip and 177 for second trip.:mickey::mickey::mickey:

RBrooksC
03-12-2012, 08:06 AM
I like those ads about being just like Disney only closer. Morey Piers had, or still does have, a similar promotion.

They let people know they have more "rides" than WDW. Which may be true. And, I will admit I have always loved Morey's Piers and what was on Wildwood's Boardwalk before them.

But, they forget to mention their experience isn't the same as a WDW experience.

LudwigVonDrake
03-12-2012, 12:22 PM
I can't wait to see what it looks like in 127 days!! :cowboy:

wiltsan
03-20-2012, 02:55 PM
I am with waymickey, Ian and Texas in that they do not need to enclose the queue or add interactive components - agree part of the fun is talking about the day, anticipating the ride as riders come through, the heat from the tracks and the boulders.....now with that being said, I also agree that refurbs are necessary but just fix it up - don't change the charm. It will be closed when I arrive in 36 hours but I have ridden it so many times, it is okay. However, my DD (7) is just starting to like coasters and this is really the only one she likes so that will be a disappointment to her. Maybe get her on Space :) ?

Ian
03-20-2012, 04:26 PM
I agree that the enclosed, interactive line doesn't sound wonderful. I could write a book on why I hate interactive lines, but suffice it to say I feel that it shows the decline of civilization as we know it. (ok, maybe not, but man, I really hate 'em!) No, I'm pretty sure you're right about it being a sign of the decline of civilization as we know it. ;)

On the subject of refurbs, I sort of agree with Jared. I'm pretty sure that back in the day rides would routinely close for extended periods of maintenance and you just had to deal with it. I vaguely remember being very disappointed on one trip as a child because Big Thunder was closed and that was one of my favorite rides.

It's so weird ... On one hand you'd think TDO has no concern for the happiness and enjoyment of their guests whatsoever. At least, not based on the way they maintain the parks, invest in them, etc.

But then on the other hand they appear to be somewhat terrified of them. They refuse to close attractions to refurb them for fear of complaints, refuse to enforce park rules like line jumping for fear of alienating someone(s), refuse to stick to their own rules like the Fastpass return window, and in general seem to go out of their way to kowtow to the cranky and grumpy guests. I totally don't understand their M.O.

DizneyFreak2002
03-20-2012, 06:31 PM
I totally don't understand their M.O.

Ohhh ian, i thought you knew... Their M.O. is MORE MONEY, MORE MONEY, MORE MONEY.. And yes, I can totally see Meg Crofton sitting there with her minions, gathered in a board room in the TDO building saying that LOL...

Ian
03-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Ohhh ian, i thought you knew... Their M.O. is MORE MONEY, MORE MONEY, MORE MONEY.. And yes, I can totally see Meg Crofton sitting there with her minions, gathered in a board room in the TDO building saying that LOL...Sometimes I think that and then other times I think they're just totally clueless.

If it was all about 'Mo Money, 'Mo Money why pour billions in FLE? Why spend over a billion on this stupid NextGen thing??

It's like they spend, but just on all the wrong things. Not that FLE was the wrong thing, mind you ... but NextGen? What a WASTE!

lettripp
03-20-2012, 09:57 PM
As much as I will miss looking out over the ride if they enclose the queue, I will not miss the heat of that line. I still have memories of being a kid in a cranky family sweating like crazy in that particular queue. I think it could use some quality AC! Maybe enclose it with windows? Best of both worlds!!

DizneyFreak2002
03-20-2012, 10:23 PM
Sometimes I think that and then other times I think they're just totally clueless.

If it was all about 'Mo Money, 'Mo Money why pour billions in FLE? Why spend over a billion on this stupid NextGen thing??

It's like they spend, but just on all the wrong things. Not that FLE was the wrong thing, mind you ... but NextGen? What a WASTE!

Images of Damon and Marlon Wayans just flashed through my head...

paragon
03-21-2012, 11:09 AM
As much as I will miss looking out over the ride if they enclose the queue, I will not miss the heat of that line. I still have memories of being a kid in a cranky family sweating like crazy in that particular queue. I think it could use some quality AC! Maybe enclose it with windows? Best of both worlds!!

Yay! Finally, someone thought of WINDOWS. I would imagine, that they have already considered this, and I'm guessing that there will probably be views of key areas still. A/C in the line would be great, interactives will be OK if it doesnt hamper the movement- so far, the Pooh, SM, and HM interactives don't seem to cause any slow downs, and do keep the little ones busy while waiting, now if only thay had something like that for TSM!

Poohluv85
03-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Dunno how I'm going to like the NexGen thing, since I haven't experienced it yet. One of the things I truly love about Disney is how they immerse you in the themeing of their rides..its magical. And when you were in que for BTMRR it really felt like you were in a older time. It seems that adding any kind of interactive experience will detract from that, but I don't want to form an opinion until I see it. Were going April 9-14, does anyone know if they may be doing soft openings by then?

MargaretMessler
05-14-2012, 09:12 PM
I don't think I like the idea of the queue being TOTALLY enclosed, but more shade/fans/misting, that I'm all on board with. Interactive, take it or leave it. I don't think it's necessary but as long as it's not over the top, I'm ok with it. And I would rather the necessary shut downs happen to ensure we're all safe and to keep things going good for years to come. If I miss out on a fave while I'm there, well....just a good excuse to plan another trip right? ;)

Kathy Jetson
05-14-2012, 11:33 PM
Has anyone heard if they are still going to open on May 27th?

Lizzy
05-15-2012, 12:31 PM
I don't think I will much like the new line queue being enclosed and interactive.

Since I was 3, every year when we have gone to MK we tromp through that line and moo like cattle. We get everyone in line on board and it's one of my favorite things to do at MK. Now it's gone :(

But I really wish they would finish it early and be open for my trip this weekend, but that never happens

Strmchsr
05-15-2012, 01:54 PM
Has anyone heard if they are still going to open on May 27th?

But I really wish they would finish it early and be open for my trip this weekend, but that never happens

Tentatively, yes, it will be open by the end of the month. Saw BTMRR this morning. The queue does NOT appear to be enclosed. As far as I could tell all the "windows" were still open. Obviously they still have some work to do, but it does not look like it will be enclosed. Can't say about the interactive part. I talked to one of the Imagineers about it while I was there (guys in the Imagineer hardhats were all over MK this morning). He said they were running slightly behind schedule so don't expect it to open early at all and there's a slight possibility it'll be pushed back.

DizneyFreak2002
05-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Chris, I heard they started cycling the trains with those water dummies... Have you seen or heard if that was true??? I think that would give a good indication if they were pretty much done with the track portion...

And I hope they don't add interactivity to the queue... I really hate that nonsense...

Kathy Jetson
05-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Tentatively, yes, it will be open by the end of the month. Saw BTMRR this morning. The queue does NOT appear to be enclosed. As far as I could tell all the "windows" were still open. Obviously they still have some work to do, but it does not look like it will be enclosed. Can't say about the interactive part. I talked to one of the Imagineers about it while I was there (guys in the Imagineer hardhats were all over MK this morning). He said they were running slightly behind schedule so don't expect it to open early at all and there's a slight possibility it'll be pushed back.

Thank You we will be there June 3rd and really didn't want to miss this!

Lizzy
05-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Yeah I figured opening early was too much to ask. :(

Strmchsr
05-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Chris, I heard they started cycling the trains with those water dummies... Have you seen or heard if that was true??? I think that would give a good indication if they were pretty much done with the track portion...

Yep. Saw that on a couple of occasions this week. It's hard to tell from a distance, of course, but the ride looked really smooth. From what I was able to gather the track is pretty much done. Just finishing exterior touches now.

DizneyFreak2002
05-16-2012, 04:37 PM
Thanks Chris... DaMouse confirms everything with a series of picture updates... I have to say, so far, the glory has been restored to Big Thunder Mountain... The paint job really makes the mountain look new... And if the ride is smooth once again, then this is one refurb I can give them kudos for... now, if only Splash Mountain could get the same love...

Strmchsr
05-16-2012, 05:01 PM
It really looks better in person than even in the pics. Looks really fabulous. I agree. Big kudos on this one. Hopefully the interior effects (i.e. falling rocks) are restored, too.

Couldn't agree more about Splash. It should also go down for 6 months or so and be restored to original state.

darthmacho
05-16-2012, 05:45 PM
Couldn't agree more about Splash. It should also go down for 6 months or so and be restored to original state.

I agree, so long as they start in September... ;)

Very selfish, I know. :blush:

DizneyFreak2002
05-16-2012, 06:40 PM
It really looks better in person than even in the pics. Looks really fabulous. I agree. Big kudos on this one. Hopefully the interior effects (i.e. falling rocks) are restored, too.

See, this is where I get scared... That falling rock scene... I had read elsewhere, so take it with a grain of salt, that they were testing screen technology there... They were projecting an image of a falling rock onto a screen in that scene...

Splash needs 6 to 8 months at the minimum...

Strmchsr
05-16-2012, 07:50 PM
I had read elsewhere, so take it with a grain of salt, that they were testing screen technology there...

Yeah, that's confirmed that they were testing it. One of my buddies working on the project confirmed that much, but never would (couldn't) discuss what they finally decided upon. If that's the case I could see where it might work if done well, but I'll be holding my breath on the first ride until I see it.

DizneyFreak2002
05-16-2012, 08:05 PM
Yeah, that's confirmed that they were testing it. One of my buddies working on the project confirmed that much, but never would (couldn't) discuss what they finally decided upon. If that's the case I could see where it might work if done well, but I'll be holding my breath on the first ride until I see it.

Just may not feel, real... I don't know... Like you said, have to wait to see what exactly is done with that scene...

DizneyFreak2002
05-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Seems like soft openings took place today... Queue has been plussed, parts of it look indoors and reports are A/C has been added (a plus!!!)...

And some have reported that, 20 minutes into soft opening, they had to evac everyone... Thus, the soft openings.. Work out the bugs they are sure to have...

DizneyFreak2002
05-26-2012, 07:51 PM
Seems like soft openings took place today... Queue has been plussed, parts of it look indoors and reports are A/C has been added (a plus!!!)...

And some have reported that, 20 minutes into soft opening, they had to evac everyone... Thus, the soft openings.. Work out the bugs they are sure to have...

To fix what I said prior... AC was added to load, not sure about the rest of the queue... There will be interactive elements but they aren't online yet... The falling rock in the ride?? GONE... Replaced with nothing... The bats are the same old bats from before...

From the sounds of it, only a paint job with some cosmetic changes to the queue... Other than that, nothing special... Just based on reports coming from people who have been on it today, scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being a gret a job over all, sounds like another TDO refurb fail... But I will reserve final judgment until the ride is "officially" reopen... Like I said, today was a soft open so maybe not everything was brought online... But, i am not nothing my breath...

Melanie
05-26-2012, 08:11 PM
Think I'll head over there first thing in the morning.

DizneyFreak2002
05-27-2012, 01:02 AM
Just watched a video of the ride taken from Saturday's soft opening... Queue is still open appears something has been added... Maybe AC ducts??? Going off reports, again, AC has for sure been added to the load...

The ride scenes are finally show ready... The paint job looks really really good... Makes the mountain and ride look new... Won't last long, that Florida sun plays havoc with paint lol...

There now appears to be a working geyser in the middle of the ride... And it seems as if something about the last show scene was different... There are geysers in the last show scenes... And, unless it is only because they repainted everything, the last show scene looks changed.. I can't recall though...

And yes, the falling rocks are not falling anymore... Some people say they have been removed completely, replaced with just stationary rocks, but it also may wind up being just turned off for now... Soft openings and all..

Mel, let us know if the ride seems smoother.. Can't tell in a video obviously...