PDA

View Full Version : Remembering Robert Sherman

WDWdriver
03-06-2012, 04:45 AM
Robert Sherman has passed away at the age of 86. He and his brother Richard were the songwriting "Sherman Brothers", known for many Disney tunes, including "It's a Small World After All" from the popular theme park ride. They also created songs for the Mary Poppins and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang movies. Robert was a great talent and will be remembered for his contributions to Disney movies and parks. He was Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

Melanie
03-06-2012, 07:04 AM
From The Hollywood Reporter:

'It's a Small World' Songwriter Robert Sherman Dies at 86

Songwriter Robert Sherman, best known for penning the infectious Disney tunes “It’s a Small World After All” and "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious," died Monday, March 5 in London.

While few details are currently known about the circumstances, news of the 86-year-old's death was posted by Sherman's son Jeff late Monday evening via Facebook. Read the full statement below.

Sherman had accumulated a slew of prestigious awards throughout his career, including two Academy Awards, one Grammy Award and many more nominations. With his brother Richard Sherman -- together known as The Sherman Brothers -- he was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1976. The duo was featured in a retrospective album, released by Disney Records in 1992, titled The Sherman Brothers: Disney’s Supercalifragilistic Songwriting Team.

Sherman was born on Dec. 19, 1925 in New York City.

Read son Jeff's post below:

Hello to family and friends,

I have very sad news to convey.

My Dad, Robert B. Sherman, passed away tonight in London. He went peacefully after months of truly valiantly fending off death. He loved life and his dear heart finally slowed to a stop when he could fight no more.

I will write more about this incredible man I love and admire so much when I am better rested and composed. He deserves that.

In the meantime, please say a prayer for him. As he said, he wanted to bring happiness to the world and, unquestionably, he succeeded. His love and his prayers, his philosophy and his poetry will live on forever. Forever his songs and his genius will bring hope, joy and love to this small, small world.

I love you, Dad.

Safe travels.

Love,

Jeff

Stu29573
03-06-2012, 07:11 AM
We have lost another great one. Rest peacefully, Robert.

Ian
03-06-2012, 07:51 AM
Another great one gone .... RIP Mr. Sherman and thanks for the memories.

i'm grumpy
03-06-2012, 07:56 AM
:(

Butters
03-06-2012, 08:11 AM
He really helped make Disney what it is today... Very sad news...

Davyjones
03-06-2012, 08:29 AM
When I think of things that are quintessential Disney, I think of 4 things: Walt, Mickey, and Bob and Dick Sherman. What a talent! We are all so lucky that we were able to experience what the Sherman Brothers gave us during our lives! For me, he was a genius. Rest In Peace, Bob. Thank you for all the joy you've brought into my life. Say hi to Walt for all of us down here. :mickey:

minnie04
03-06-2012, 08:51 AM
:( sad news... Condolences to his family

Joannelet
03-06-2012, 08:55 AM
Wow so terribly sad:( his music will live on forever as some of the greatest and will be known by generations still to come. My 3 year old son sings his song it's a small world everyday and plays it on the Disneyland iPad app everyday as well. Thank you mr. Sherman for penning such great music!!!! Disney has had another great loss!

disneynarula
03-06-2012, 09:25 AM
Truly a Disney Legacy!

My favorite disney "tape" and then CD was "Disney, the Sherman Brothers."

MadMadamMim
03-06-2012, 09:33 AM
Such sad news, if anyone gets the chance to watch the documentary "The Boys" all about the brothers do so, it's truly amazing all of the things they accomplished.

TracyL
03-06-2012, 09:48 AM
:sadwave:

faline
03-06-2012, 09:54 AM
I listen often to my two-CD set of Sherman Brothers songs. Another wonderful talent lost to this world. Condolences to his family.

Patricia
03-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Sad news.. :(

finaldynasty
03-06-2012, 11:04 AM
We lost a great one...:(

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
03-06-2012, 11:41 AM
He made millions happy. That's a good life.

PlutoPlanet
03-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Yes, what a talent!

Nascfan
03-06-2012, 02:09 PM
He will truly be missed, great talent.

badkitty
03-06-2012, 04:21 PM
So, so sad. RIP dear Robert.

BrowncatP
03-06-2012, 07:09 PM
ABC news finished their newscast tonight with a story on his passing.

wiltsan
03-06-2012, 10:20 PM
A sad day -- his work truly helped make Walt Disney Films and Parks what they are today. Thank you Mr. Sherman, RIP.

Kairi_7378
03-09-2012, 12:21 AM
Mr. Sherman, thank you for teaching us that It's a Small World After All, that there is a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, and that the simplest things, like feeding the birds, bring us joy.

Condolances to his family.

Mrs Bus Driver
03-11-2012, 11:13 AM
Such sad news, if anyone gets the chance to watch the documentary "The Boys" all about the brothers do so, it's truly amazing all of the things they accomplished.

While it is sad when someone passes away. Mr Sherman had a good long life. He had a great career and a loving family (even if they didn't always get along. He was blessed.

Thanks for the tip on the doc will watch as soon as I can. Moved recently and things are still in pieces.

LudwigVonDrake
03-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Thank You, Mr. Sherman :(

CajunDisneyDad
03-15-2012, 10:02 AM
As long as there is a Disney theme park, and as long as parents treasure the gift of youth and the gift of song, The boys will live on. I am sure the angels will be singing "its a small world" before too long :) RIP sir, and thank you for all you did to bring joy to generations past and generations to come:angel:

bdm@pga
03-15-2012, 12:23 PM
I am a high school band director and lately, my job seems to be reminding people of what LIFE would be like without music. Not to jump on a soap box, but budget cuts and testing seem to be making that job more difficult everyday. This man, along with his musical legacy is a prime example of my daily plea...Imagine if you will a "Disney" world without music, without Mr. Sherman. How so many of the attractions center round the music of the movie, the lyrics, the excitement of the theme...there would be no park...without this man's contribution to the world of Disney....so remember this the next time some one tries to "put down' or minimize a school music program. Without it, there would be no more Mr. Sherman's...thank you sir for bringing music to all of our lives.:mickey:

Hull-onian
05-01-2012, 10:40 AM
Sorry Robert is gone......a true genius.....