PDA

View Full Version : Twitter Rumor: Stitch closing 2013

HackLaSalle
03-05-2012, 10:51 PM
I saw this rumor making the rounds on twitter the other day. The prevailing thought is that once FLE is completed and they have some more attractions eating up capacity, Stitch will be closed. For what who knows but that is what was going around pure speculation and rumor.

Quadstriker
03-05-2012, 11:19 PM
Close it for good today as far as I'm concerned.

Ian
03-05-2012, 11:52 PM
Fine if they intend on doing something worthwhile with the space, but if it just ends up being another vacant building then I'd rather they leave it. It still draws in some crowds and keeps them away from the good attractions. ;)

RAIDER
03-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Shames its not closing down this year !!:thedolls:

BrerGnat
03-06-2012, 08:18 AM
Blowing it up would be more approrpiate. Or, demolition with a wrecking ball, in an elaborate ceremony with lots of media presence.

I actually liked it when it was Alien Encounter. Thought it was original and unique and it scared the pants off of me the first time! :D

kakn7294
03-06-2012, 08:27 AM
I'm with Ian - keep it open if it's just going to be a vacant building.

Ed
03-06-2012, 08:30 AM
Buh Bye ! :wave:

In my book, this one is almost as bad as "Sounds Dangerous".

floridamom
03-06-2012, 09:02 AM
It still draws in some crowds and keeps them away from the good attractions. ;)

Hilarious ...
And true.

disneynarula
03-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Bring back Mission To Mars!!

Am I totally dating myself here?

Ian
03-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Blowing it up would be more approrpiate. Or, demolition with a wrecking ball, in an elaborate ceremony with lots of media presence. If TDO had any sense of humor at all they'd run a contest where the grand prize was the chance to press the "virtual plunger" that "blew up" the show building.

Maybe they could use the projector technology they use for the Castle show to simulate the explosion. :D

laprana
03-06-2012, 09:49 AM
I sure hope this rumor proves to be true! The worst attraction in all of WDW and I wouldn't be sorry to see it go.

If TDO had any sense of humor at all they'd run a contest where the grand prize was the chance to press the "virtual plunger" that "blew up" the show building.

Maybe they could use the projector technology they use for the Castle show to simulate the explosion. :D

This is a GREAT idea!!! :thumbsup: I would definitely enter that contest!

Joannelet
03-06-2012, 11:30 AM
Alien encounter was soooo scary! Loved that! (use to love the line in the head speakers of some guy saying "it looks like my mother in law lol!) Stitch well I can definitely do without. Plus I can't even remember the last time I went in there. Hopefully they will bring something good! Please Disney don't let it be empty for long! Hopefully they have plans for something else to take its place.

darthmacho
03-06-2012, 11:44 AM
I preferred Alien Encounter, but I like Stitch, and since it's a favorite of my kids, I'm sorry to hear it might go. If a fabulous attraction goes in it's place, I'll accept its departure, but if it turns into a Princess Meet and Greet, a half-hearted replacement, or worst of all, a vacant structure, then what's the point? :nope:

Maybe they could make it a Creature Cantina? ;)

SurferStitch
03-06-2012, 11:50 AM
I'd be very sad to see it go.... Unless they finally bring Stitch Live! to WDW. That would make me very happy!!

:stitch: :stitch2:

bdm@pga
03-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Maybe they can make it a secret hotel room and Ian can stay there too!!:secret:

DizneyFreak2002
03-06-2012, 01:30 PM
I wouldn't take any talk on Twitter to be serious... With that said, if Stitch closed tomorrow I wouldn't miss it, even though he is one of my favorite characters... The attraction is just, eh...

Jared
03-06-2012, 02:48 PM
I wouldn't take any talk on Twitter to be serious... With that said, if Stitch closed tomorrow I wouldn't miss it, even though he is one of my favorite characters... The attraction is just, eh...
Whatever they do, I hope Disney finds a way to re-purpose that incredible Stitch animatronic in a worthwhile way. It's a fantastic figure in an absolute waste of an attraction.

magicman
03-06-2012, 03:30 PM
The only thing worse than Stitch's bad breath would be no breath.

If they aren't going to replace it with something, I would rather it remain open.

Ian
03-06-2012, 03:38 PM
Maybe they can make it a secret hotel room and Ian can stay there too!!:secret::rotfl:

waymickey
03-06-2012, 07:09 PM
[QUOTE=darthmacho;2247443]I preferred Alien Encounter, but I like Stitch, and since it's a favorite of my kids, I'm sorry to hear it might go. If a fabulous attraction goes in it's place, I'll accept its departure, but if it turns into a Princess Meet and Greet, a half-hearted replacement, or worst of all, a vacant structure, then what's the point? :nope:

Ditto I do not want another meet and greet. If there are no plans than just leave it until they have come up with something really really cool.

Ms. Mode
03-07-2012, 07:50 AM
Blowing it up would be more approrpiate. Or, demolition with a wrecking ball, in an elaborate ceremony with lots of media presence.

I actually liked it when it was Alien Encounter. Thought it was original and unique and it scared the pants off of me the first time! :D

We have a WDW DVD that told us they reason they took AE out was because it scared people to much (especially children). Wish we could have seen it before it was gone! :secret:

BrerGnat
03-07-2012, 07:54 AM
We have a WDW DVD that told us they reason they took AE out was because it scared people to much (especially children). Wish we could have seen it before it was gone! :secret:

Yeah, well, Space Mountain scared me when I was a child, but they didn't take that away.

Seriously, that's a dumb reason. It very well may be true, but I think it was lack of popularity in general.

It was a really cool ride. Everyone was scared the first time they experienced it, even if some won't admit it now. ;)

CuteAsMinnie
03-07-2012, 09:32 AM
If TDO had any sense of humor at all they'd run a contest where the grand prize was the chance to press the "virtual plunger" that "blew up" the show building.

:thumbsup:

Ian
03-07-2012, 10:36 AM
We have a WDW DVD that told us they reason they took AE out was because it scared people to much (especially children). Wish we could have seen it before it was gone! :secret:That's definitely not the reason. The reason is simple ... Stitch was the first truly big hit Walt Disney Animation had in over a decade and they wanted to exploit his popularity as quickly as possible.

The easiest (and cheapest) way to get him into the parks was to wedge him into the storyline of AE (it was already themed around aliens, Stitch is an alien, etc.), so that's why they made the switch. It didn't have anything to do with it being too scary ... if you think about it, Stitch is still pretty scary for kids, so it hardly would have solved that problem.

tennantsrwe
03-07-2012, 11:18 AM
So long Stitch lol!! I'm not a fan of the attraction, I wasn't really all that into AE either. I can hope, if the rumor is true, they DO NOT do another meet and greet. If it's Stitch or nothing, ok fine keep it. But I'm going to cross my fingers they come up with another....waaay better....concept.

Jim&AngieMarriner
03-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Good riddence to a horrible attraction IMO.
I only experienced it once and that was once to many. :ack::ack:

BrerSchultzy
03-07-2012, 02:13 PM
They could just shutter it to keep operations costs down. Now, I know they try to keep vacant buildings to a minimum in MK (not so in other parks, obviously). So it might become some sort of Pixar meet and greet, but I don't see anything else being added to MK for a while after FLE.

darthmacho
03-07-2012, 03:06 PM
That's definitely not the reason. The reason is simple ... Stitch was the first truly big hit Walt Disney Animation had in over a decade and they wanted to exploit his popularity as quickly as possible.

The easiest (and cheapest) way to get him into the parks was to wedge him into the storyline of AE (it was already themed around aliens, Stitch is an alien, etc.), so that's why they made the switch. It didn't have anything to do with it being too scary ... if you think about it, Stitch is still pretty scary for kids, so it hardly would have solved that problem.

Even though I LIKE Stitch, and even the new attraction, what bothered me about the switch from AE to SGE was exactly what you alluded to, the shoehorning of already existing characters for the purpose of exploiting merchandise. What bothers me about this was that they took what was an original story being told, exclusive to this attraction, and simply gave it a movie overlay. While I understand that a LOT of attractions have been inspired by the movies with success, the true magic comes from the experiences that you get that are unique to the parks, AE being a prime example.

I hope that made sense? :confused::blush:

Ian
03-07-2012, 03:40 PM
They could just shutter it to keep operations costs down. Now, I know they try to keep vacant buildings to a minimum in MK (not so in other parks, obviously). So it might become some sort of Pixar meet and greet, but I don't see anything else being added to MK for a while after FLE.I agree, which is why I'm sort of on the fence. I would definitely rather it stay open than have them close it and throw like a Stitch meet-n-greet in there or something.

Even though I LIKE Stitch, and even the new attraction, what bothered me about the switch from AE to SGE was exactly what you alluded to, the shoehorning of already existing characters for the purpose of exploiting merchandise.Even more than that, IMO, is that they totally botched up the story of Stitch in order to make it work. For example, the attraction is supposed to take place before the film, but it's called "Stitch's Great Escape?"

He wasn't named Stitch until he met Lilo. :confused:

DizneyRox
03-07-2012, 07:18 PM
Is it 2013 yet?

Tearin_it_up
03-07-2012, 07:50 PM
I remember the line being huge for Alien Encounter back when I was on it, but maybe that only lasted the first year or two:confused:

Crow
03-08-2012, 11:46 PM
I liked Alien Encounter.
but yea Stitch is ok not great. but better than a meet and greet

LudwigVonDrake
03-12-2012, 12:24 PM
I would love to have Alien Encounter back but I know that's not feasible. At this point I'll take anything but Stitch in that spot :wave:

cuteduck223
03-12-2012, 12:48 PM
stitch would be better if they kept up on the maintenance. Last time we were there, 3 of us rode it--one had no bad breath, one had no speakers, one didnt have a locked shoulder rest...so everyone missed some aspect. If they kept it up, it wouldn't be so bad.

darthmacho
03-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Even more than that, IMO, is that they totally botched up the story of Stitch in order to make it work. For example, the attraction is supposed to take place before the film, but it's called "Stitch's Great Escape?"

He wasn't named Stitch until he met Lilo. :confused:

True about the discrepancy with the title, and I do think there are a variety of plot holes that don't fit right with the movie. Nevertheless, I don't think they refer to him as Stitch during the show, so I'll give them that much credit. I think they pretty much had to use the name Stitch in the attraction name too, because of the recognition and brand merchandising, so I'll give them a pass in that regard. I like the attraction because the effects are decent, the show is actually entertaining and funny, and I actually find the characters endearing. Also, my kids really like it.

Pleakley's voice can get pretty annoying though.:mad:

Mrs Bus Driver
03-13-2012, 08:04 AM
I admit I wanted to hate Stich, really liked AE. After reading posts about how bad it is thought it would be terrible. But when I got the chance to see it I liked it. Would go see it again if I was there. I really don't want it replaced with another meet and greet. They would need to put in something at least as good.:mickey:

brownie
03-13-2012, 10:46 AM
I enjoyed Stitch and would be sorry to see the attraction go. I never experienced Alien Encounter so I can't make the comparison.

Gator
03-15-2012, 03:14 PM
I'm for replacing it with something cool. Maybe a TRON attraction. A Recognizer or light cycle sim ride would be awesome. MK could use another E Ticket.

DizneyFreak2002
03-15-2012, 07:17 PM
The Stitch building does not have room for an e-ticket attraction... which is the problem when it comes time to replace Stitch...

mariak
03-15-2012, 07:31 PM
Thank God! It's about time!

Mackflava99
03-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Whatever they do, I hope Disney finds a way to re-purpose that incredible Stitch animatronic in a worthwhile way. It's a fantastic figure in an absolute waste of an attraction.

Very true- great animatronics, bad attraction,,, and that seems like it wouldnt be the case.

P.Sherman42
05-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Couldn't come soon enough! I rode this once and that was plenty. Hopefully they replace it with a good attraction.

Tekneek
05-07-2012, 09:46 PM
Probably need another place for photos to be made during holiday parties.

In my experience, young kids enjoy it, and it is a better fit for Tomorrowland than Laugh Floor is.

texas211
05-12-2012, 11:17 PM
Not true, in the future, the new green energy source will be laughter..

I think there might be a better chance of kinetic sidewalks that store the energy..