PDA

View Full Version : Port Orleans Riverside

zipadeedoodah
03-05-2012, 03:55 PM
So we had originally booked our trip this fall at Pop Century to save some money, and were planning on calling this morning to add the free dining. But when I called at 8:15 they had already all been snatched up! Only the All-Star Sports was available with the free dining package. I even had her look for other weeks in September, but alas nothing was found. So I ended up upgrading to Port Orleans Riverside Resort. AND we had to move our trip up 2 weeks. (which is fine by me...lol) Yes, we'll have to pay an additonal $400, but we get the regular dining plan for free - and since we were planning on upgrading our quick service plan to the regular anyway, it ended up being not TOO much of an increase.

Having said all of that. I've never stayed at Port Orleans, or at a moderate at all for that matter. I've only stayed at value and deluxe. So does anyone have any tips for us at this resort? For those of you who have stayed here, did you enjoy it? I'm kinda excited about staying here for the first time!

Auntie B
03-05-2012, 05:04 PM
We really, really enjoyed Riverside. The boat to Downtown Disney was great. Try to catch Bob Jackson - he is at the Port several evenings starting at 8:30 playing his piano. Lots of fun!

ibelieveindisneymagic
03-05-2012, 06:30 PM
We love Riverside! There is a great pool, with a pretty cool slide. The food court is large, with tons of choice and there are a number of "quiet" pools around the resort. The rooms are being upgraded, so odds are you'll get a brand-new room.

A number of years ago we upgraded from POP to Riverside during free dining and we really enjoyed the resort.

debandbub
03-05-2012, 06:36 PM
Yup-definitely plan on Piano Bob. We'd even make a trip to POR just to see him if we weren't already staying there. (Maybe that day, use a table service for lunch and have your QS at the food curt there- it's really good.) It's a beautiful resort if you like to walk or jog in the morning. They also have horse-drawn carriage rides at night if you want to splurge. And if you are headed to DTD, take to boat. It's a beautiful ride.

Enjoy! I'm wishing I was there now!

Quadstriker
03-05-2012, 07:32 PM
Was there last week.

In case it hasn't been made clear, there are two important tips for Riverside.

1. GO SEE BOB JACKSON

2. Drink lots of gin while watching Bob Jackson

KatrinaJ91
03-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Ditto on everything said above! We love POR...it is our fav resort out of all of them! The food court is really good...make sure to try the pasta station! Enjoy...it is a beautiful resort!

zipadeedoodah
03-06-2012, 09:40 AM
Thanks so much, guys! Now I'm super excited! :) My sister-in-law was trying to convince me to go with Caribbean Beach instead because it's the same price, but I think I'll definitely keep my reservations as they are after what you all said! It sounds awesome :cloud9:

Bob Jackson and Gin and the boat to DTD....gotcha! :)

zipadeedoodah
03-06-2012, 10:22 AM
So, now I see that there was a glitch in the reservation system yesterday morning for Pop Century and the free dining. Apparently now there are rooms available.....dilemma time. Should I switch back to it, and save some money, or leave my resort at POR- pay a little more, and enjoy something new.... Is it worth the extra money? help...

Auntie B
03-06-2012, 11:33 AM
If the extra $ is not an issue, I would stay at POR . . . :thumbsup:

Joannelet
03-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Stay at POR. I think you will enjoy it!

zipadeedoodah
03-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Yeah, I think I am just going to stay at POR. :party: Sept 9th can't get here fast enough?

Does this resort allow you to choose a preference on what building you want to stay in. And, if so, is one area better than the other? I would like one of the newly updated rooms if possible!

Tygger7
03-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Yeah, I think I am just going to stay at POR. :party: Sept 9th can't get here fast enough?

Does this resort allow you to choose a preference on what building you want to stay in. And, if so, is one area better than the other? I would like one of the newly updated rooms if possible!

We stayed at POR for the first time last December and LOVED it. By September, all the room renovations should be pretty well complete. Both the "preferred rooms" and princess rooms cost extra, but they are the closest to the main building. You can always request a specific building when you check in, but there's no guarantee they can honor your request. I would try to get in one of the "mansion" buildings if possible.

There is a great fan website that has a ton of information and maps available for the resort and I was able to find a lot of good info on there. I liked POR so much that I'm hoping to take my mom down for a "mom & daughter only" vacation in September during free dining.

amorillo
03-06-2012, 01:47 PM
i've stayed at both caribbean beach and POR. and while i have no bad comments about caribbean beach... i'd pick POR over it any day. For the landscaping alone! POR is gorgeous! :cloud9:

Quadstriker
03-06-2012, 02:05 PM
Spending the money to stay at POR vs Pop will be your best decision of 2012.

#1donaldfan
03-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Spend the extra few dollars and stay at POR !! That is the best resort on property !! It's a moderate will a deluxe feel !!! There are so many things to do !!! Go, enjoy, you will not regret !!! :thumbsup:

p.s. you can request a building, not a guarantee....building 14/18 & 27 are the closest to the main building and main bus depot.....

zipadeedoodah
03-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Awesome! You are all making me so excited about this resort! It was by accident that we are staying there, but I think it's gonna turn into a happy one!

I'll have to try to find that fan site you mentioned, Tygger7.

I hope you're right Quadstiker! :) Cuz when it comes to where to stay for a week at the world, its an important decision! haha ;)

Auntie B
03-06-2012, 02:36 PM
YAAAYYY POR! The Mansions are pretty close to the food court; however, we prefer the Bayou area. It just seems "secluded" and after a busy park day, it was fabulously relaxing. Our room was really close to the south bus stop and the quiet pool, so it was super convenient. Where ever you end up, you are going to love it. As already stated, the grounds are beautiful! :mickey:

zipadeedoodah
03-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Donaldfan....When do I make the request...during the 10 day before -online check-in process?

Tygger7
03-06-2012, 02:53 PM
To be honest, your best chance of getting a specific room request granted would be to do regular check-in and forego the online check-in. When you do the early check-in, there's no spot to put requests. Plus, I've always found the CM's to do everything they can to grant your request.

Also, if you want, PM me and I can direct you to the Port Orleans site.

zipadeedoodah
03-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Thanks Tygger...I think I found it! :)

tdk316
03-07-2012, 03:41 PM
You'll be staying at one of our favorite resorts! Try to stop over to POFQ (short walk along the river will get you there) and try a beignet! Yum! Enjoy your happy accident!

zipadeedoodah
03-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Ok, thanks for the suggestion! I've read that the beignets are great! I can't wait... 185 days and counting....

kittya
03-07-2012, 03:59 PM
I didn't think it was possible to be MORE excited about this trip than I was a few minutes ago but I am!! We ended up in POR because the value were all booked up. Now I am so glad we decided to stick with the same dates and just pay a little more. From these comments it's obviously a great resort! I can't wait. Thanks for making me feel better about the decision! :cloud9:

Mickey'sIrishPAl
03-08-2012, 07:56 AM
Ok, thanks for the suggestion! I've read that the beignets are great! I can't wait... 185 days and counting....

Sweet. You get there, i believe, a day before we do. See ya there!! :mickey:

zipadeedoodah
03-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Sweet. You get there, i believe, a day before we do. See ya there!! :mickey:

So excited! see ya there!:thumbsup:

kittya, It looks like you were in the same boat as us! The resort just sounds fabulous...enjoy! We plan to! :)

#1donaldfan
03-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Donaldfan....When do I make the request...during the 10 day before -online check-in process?

Right now !!! Make sure they are indicated on your reservations, then about a week out FAX or CALL the resort directly and make sure it's still "indicated" on your reservations.....there are no guarantee's however we have NEVER been denied a request....knock on wood !! Have a great trip, POR is PERFECT !! :thumbsup:

P.S. hopefully we'll have already been there....going in August ..... !!!