PDA

View Full Version : Biergarten reviews please....

wdwnutz
03-03-2012, 11:41 AM
We are trying Biergarten for the first time...any reviews would be much appreciated! Taking ds5 & dd18...any thoughts? :eat:

Quadstriker
03-03-2012, 12:24 PM
Wife and I (younger couple with no kids) went there last Tuesday. It was our first time there.

First the goods:
The musicians were good. The service was acceptable. The darker beer was good.

And the bads:
The amount of kids running around crazy and unattended was bleh. Having to share a table with strangers was not high on my list of things I want to do - especially when it's a couple with many young children. Don't get me wrong they were nice enough, but the place is just not at all a relaxing dinner experience. More like a bunker in a combat zone. Don't move or you'll get slaughtered!

The food ranged from meh to average. Schnitzel was not as good as hoped. Sausages were fine but nothing to get excited about. Just not at all in the same class as most of the other places we have been (Say, Coral Reef, Ohana, Teppan Edo, Cali Grill, Brown Derby, Narcooses, Flying Fish, etc).

I can't see us going back to Biergarten again.

SBETigg
03-03-2012, 12:30 PM
It's one of those Disney places everyone should try once. For us, once was enough but we were glad we gave it a shot.

The atmosphere is neat, like a Bavarian village at night. Tables are shared, though, so this is great if you're social and enjoy meeting new people and awkward if you're not. Little ones love dancing to the Oompah band, making it a great place for kids who need to get up and move. Supervising little ones is recommended, of course.

The food is good, if it's your kind of food. We're not big sausage and potato salad fans, so it wasn't really great for us. It is a buffet, and the food quality suffers a little for it. But there are some fun things to try and some good things, especially the desserts, strudel and dark forest cake. And of course, a decent selection of beer. Service was good for us.

tadshome
03-03-2012, 12:36 PM
It is a restaurant that I am glad that we tried once for the experience. The musicians were great and the beer was good. We did not enjoy the food, sitting with strangers at the table nor all the children running around in chaos. Maybe we were just unlucky on the night that we visited...

Quadstriker
03-03-2012, 12:37 PM
It is a restaurant that I am glad that we tried once for the experience. The musicians were great and the beer was good. We did not enjoy the food, sitting with strangers at the table nor all the children running around in chaos. Maybe we were just unlucky on the night that we visited...

That's pretty much exactly how we felt, so I doubt it's just a case of you getting unlucky.

Scar
03-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Biergarten is, IMO, the best restaurant on property when you take all things into consideration; value, food, entertainment, service, etc. I don't have kids, have eaten there many times, and never thought the "kids running around" detracted from the expierience.

Prost! :beer:

AmandaChan
03-03-2012, 05:01 PM
This is one of our must places... I loveee me a big tall stein. Music is fun and it has a nice atmosphere. We shared a table the first time, and we loved it. The second time we had our own table (we had party of 8) but it was also more dead, going before dinner normal times. I love the food, and the desserts are always amazing. I believe you won't regret at least trying it.

PETE FROM NYC
03-03-2012, 05:43 PM
We enjoy eating there. I always found the food familiar and similar to what my imported German relatives made for the holidays. The band makes for a fun atmosphere. I am not a drinker so I cannot comment on the beers.

Disney Doll
03-04-2012, 10:18 AM
I like it. The atmosphere is fun and much like what we experience at our local Oktoberfest. It is not a quiet relaxing dinner, but I don't think it's meant to be. It's really pretty inside and the live band is a nice touch. I think a buffet is a nice way to experience new things because you can sample a few more adventurous dishes and also have your comfort food. There is enough variety that you can certainly find something to eat even if you don't typically like traditional German fare. I encourage everyone to give it a try!

tjstrike
03-04-2012, 03:51 PM
We liked it both times we were there. The atmosphere is really fun, not a stuffy, quiet sit down and keep to yourself type of place. If you're into beer, music and friendly crowds with lots of good food this is the place for you.

MarkC
03-04-2012, 08:50 PM
Agree with Scar above. Its a can't miss for us. Food is good and atmosphere is great. Its not for a romantic candlelit dinner for two, but I've always enjoyed it. I will admit I'm very social by nature but even my quiet wife loves it there. My college age boys love it for the massive amounts of food they can consume.

BelleBeauty
03-05-2012, 09:27 AM
My DH and I went there for the first time in November. It was one of our favorite places! We went a bit too early (right as lunch seatings started) and the band was not on. It was very calm and quiet though, so if you are worried about too much noise, schedule early. LOVED all of the food and the beer selection. Sitting with other people isn't always the best, but we sat with a very nice family and chatted a bit. Our server was great!

KatrinaJ91
03-05-2012, 11:42 AM
We went there for the first time in December and loved it! The atmosphere was so much fun and reminded us of Oktoberfest. We thought the food was excellent...so many choices and very delicious. The band was alot of fun and the beer was cold and tasted great! All in all, we definitely want to return!!

Wright46
03-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Very cool setting and I think the food is good as well. Just have a little more slef control than I do and don't stuff yourself too much if you want to enjoy the rest of the day at EPCOT.

Davy Crockett
03-07-2012, 09:54 AM
We always have either lunch or dinner at least once during each visit. Wonderful atmosphere and good authentic German cuisine. I've spent a lot of time in Bavaria / Deutschland working and it may be hookie but it brings back those visits, not to mention the beer is cold and plentiful :eat:
I would put it down as a must!

SurferStitch
03-07-2012, 12:45 PM
DH and I love Biergarten. We tried it on a whim one time, and it's now a must do for us!

Food is very good. We are not sausage eaters, and luckily, there really isn't much of that at all. There are plenty of great things to choose from like chicken schnitzle, salmon, spaetzle, salads.... plenty!

We like sitting at a table with people we've never met before. What better way to meet people! We've always had nice groups of people, so no complaints there.

We never really had kids running around us annoying us. They usually stuck to the dance floor to let off steam.

We've always had great servers, too! You will have a great time!

CanadianWDWFan
03-07-2012, 02:52 PM
My DW posted our take on the Biergarten last summer here (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=185569).

Being of German decent I was always wary of trying it out. But once we did I was really impressed by the taste of my comfort foods that brought back pleasant memories. Now we never pass up a chance to go there and enjoy all it has to offer. Oh and the beer is simply the best. You can get a flight (3 glasses) of wine as well as beer. PROST! :cheers:

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-08-2012, 10:53 AM
I would rate the food as good but not the best on property. Ambience is great. I think your youngest will really like it. Like others have said you do have to sit with others.

Jim&AngieMarriner
03-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Let us add our hat into the ring of fans. We like this spot. Yes its a Buffet and we agree the food can suffer from it. However, Disney, to us, has always been about jumping into a story or theme. The themeing in there is great from the dark woods to the band and all the little things you often over look but would notice if they were NOT there. Community seating is common in Germany and especially Bavaria. So it isnt Disney being lazy, its being reasonably authentic. Being in the Army, I lived in the Bavarian part of Germany for three years. It was very much like being at a local festival.

If you want quiet, deffinately go somewhere else. It just isnt going to happen here. However if you can mentally transport yourself while here you will be fine.

As to the kids, you know them best. If your 5 year old is a super picky eater you might have some issues but i have heard of guests asking for Mac and Cheese or chicken fingers for their kids and the wai staff has provided. Your mileage might vary if you have bad wait staff. The music is fun for the kids though.

I also agree with the beer comments. If beer is your thing, its the best in the park IMO. However be warned, its is authentic German beer. Which means its stronger than american beer. If you can "feel" the effect from 3 beers it might only take one here.

All in all, it a a great place in our opinion.

zipadeedoodah
03-08-2012, 11:15 AM
I eat here almost every trip to the world. The food is just average, IMO, but I LOVE the atmosphere. It could be because I grew up with german music and polka bands :) But whatever the reason, its so much fun to kick back after dinner with a couple pints of beer and enjoy the entertainment. 185 days and I'll be clinking my glass again!

mdricks
03-08-2012, 05:35 PM
I travel to diz in two distinct ways...

With family (includes wife & 2 school age boys)

And "boys trip" (includes 4 40something boys)

Only once with the family..

every trip with the idiots.

A shot or two of jager at the cs outside and then big steins inside.

Ziggy zocky baby!

:beer:

zipadeedoodah
03-08-2012, 05:47 PM
Ziggy zocky baby!

:beer:

:beer: *clink!*

wdwnutz
03-08-2012, 07:57 PM
Thank you everyone! I wasn't too sure about going, but everyone definitely convinced me to try it out! Looking forward to it in 7 days! :mickey:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
03-08-2012, 08:35 PM
It reminded me of some of the fun, loud, chaos that is Oktoberfest and eating at a family style German (tourist oriented) restaurant IN Germany! Sharing a table - guess what - that can be TYPICAL IN GERMANY - in ANY RESTAURANT (hubby visits Germany often with work) - you don't like this idea, don't book Biergarten.

My hubby and I loved it and my daughter and I have our ADRs set up for June.

CuteAsMinnie
03-12-2012, 06:45 PM
It was fun. The food was good. German food is very heavy on the startches. DH appreciated it the experience the most. BUT if u want the best Brat you've ever had in your life, make time during your trip to have one at the stand located wayyy in the back of the courtyard in Germany. We just discovered them this last trip and bou were they fabulous! A cold beer doesn't hurt either!:blush:

dizneydeb22
03-13-2012, 11:28 AM
I am greatful for this post. My hubby and I have been wishy washy about trying for years, but it will now definitely be part of our trip in August. Can anyone tell me if there is a drastic difference between lunch and dinner?
We would like the full experience! The oompah band...dancing...etc.

Thanks in advance for the input!:beer:

Scar
03-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Can anyone tell me if there is a drastic difference between lunch and dinner?There's a slight difference. Dinner offers two or three more entrees. There may be something else but both are still good.

zipadeedoodah
03-13-2012, 03:22 PM
Does lunch at the Biergarten include the Polka band as well? I may be wrong, but I thought they only had the "entertainment" during dinner times.

Scar
03-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Does lunch at the Biergarten include the Polka band as well?

Yes, but I think they don't start untill 12:30 or 1:00ish

MississippiDisneyFreak
03-13-2012, 03:38 PM
I think the band starts at 1pm

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
03-13-2012, 03:40 PM
I am greatful for this post. My hubby and I have been wishy washy about trying for years, but it will now definitely be part of our trip in August. Can anyone tell me if there is a drastic difference between lunch and dinner?
We would like the full experience! The oompah band...dancing...etc.

Thanks in advance for the input!:beer:

They do play at lunch, but don't start til 1:15, shows used to be about 25 minutes and ran every hour or so.

micky95
03-13-2012, 04:20 PM
my dw & i tried it in feb.i wasnt to keen on sharing a table but we had a good group that were talking football which my dw is a nuts about.the food was ok but we would go back ,just not every trip.

spoonfulosugar
03-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Love it. Love the atmosphere, love German food and Biergarten's selections are pretty darn authentic. Yes, it is busy and loud and you sit with other people...Ummm, hello?!?! It is a biergarten, would you expect anything less??