PDA

View Full Version : need another restaurant...opinions please!

zipadeedoodah
03-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Hey mousketeers...I have one more table service restaurant and I'm stuck on which to choose...opinions?

I so far have :

Le Cellier
50's Prime Time Cafe
Narcoosee's
Biergarten

I need to choose one more and I've narrowed them down to:
Whispering Canyon Cafe
Rose & Crown
Tony's Town Square
Coral Reef
O'hana
Rainforest Cafe

Which would you choose out of those six?

SBETigg
03-02-2012, 03:44 PM
You've listed six, so I think you mean which would you choose out of the six? Of your list, I would choose 'Ohana, not because it has the best food (it doesn't- food is up and down here for us) but because of the atmosphere. It feels like a uniquely Disney sort of experience and I love the Polynesian resort. My second choice would be Rose and Crown, again more for the atmosphere than the food.

Of the six on your list, I would eliminate Rainforest Cafe and Tony's Town Square, because Tony's is mediocre, nothing special as far as reviews go, and Rainforest is a chain, not a uniquely Disney sort of place for us. Plus, the food isn't great for what you're paying.

zipadeedoodah
03-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Thanks....yes, I meant 6. I forgot to add 2 others so I edited my last post but forgot to change that part. ;)

Thanks for your input! I have never eaten at O'hana, but have always heard good things about it. And I'm all about unique Disney experiences.

Having said that, I'm also open to any other suggestions anyone may have on a restaurant that I didn't list as one of my 6. I'm bringing a first timer to the world this year, so I wanna make it extra special for her. :mickey:

disneynarula
03-02-2012, 04:00 PM
I know most people here will say O'Hana.

I prefer Coral Reef. Foodwise I think Coral Reef is better and I enjoy looking at the huge aquarium while I eat. Coral Reef is a little more subdued than O' Hana. After spending all day at the parks I look forward to a nice quiet meal.

That being said... O'Hana is really a unique experience. I don't think there is any other place in the world where you eat large amounts of meat off skewers while children race coconuts around the room.

Everyone should try O'Hana at least once. Once was enough for me. I don't regret eating there. It wasn't my style.

For me Rainforest Cafe was nice and my boys really loved it. Since there are Rainforest Cafes in other locations in the States it would not be my first pick.

I have not eaten at any of the other places on your list of choices.

bunkyg
03-02-2012, 04:04 PM
If your looking for a fun dining experience try Whispering Canyon. The food isn't fancy but you will have fun.

Make sure you order a large drink and be sure to need ketchup sometime during the meal. :thedolls:

And don't let them seat you back in the alcove.

zipadeedoodah
03-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Thanks everyone!

I remember eating at the Whispering Canyon Cafe the first year the Wilderness Lodge opened. My family and I stayed there that year. But I was a child then, and I dont really remember much about it. Coral Reef always sounds so fun, too...but I don't think my traveling partner enjoy seafood too much, so I'm not sure about that one.

Jillirose
03-02-2012, 04:37 PM
Coral Reef or Rose and Crown, based on your menu preferences. We hit each of these on every trip!

cer
03-02-2012, 04:52 PM
I would say 'Ohana, it is one of our family traditions while at Disney. Last time after dinner, we watched the fireworks from the Poly beach and then rode the ferry back to Magic Kingdom. We go so close to the water parade, our ferry had to stop as it passed us by. So quiet and calm out the lagoon with the lights reflecting off the water...loved it! One of my best Disney memories! (but now that I think about it, you don't need to dine at 'Ohana do see the fireworks or ride the ferry) - but it is so good!

Rainforest is going to be very loud - and not uniquely Disney.

I have been to Coral Reef once in 2006 and it was ok... but never really felt the need to return, but we aren't big seafood eaters -

I have only dined at Whispering Canyon during lunch and they do not have the antics at lunchtime. I think this would be a pretty loud dining experience at dinner - but I think that is what draws people, too.

Rose and Crown was all right on our last visit, but I would choose 'Ohana over it.

Tony's gets sooooo many mixed reviews that we have never been there.

Other ideas you may want to consider, Teppan Edo, Grand Floridian Cafe....

Good luck! I wish I needed to make those kinds of decisions....

darthmacho
03-02-2012, 04:54 PM
Picking purely from the restaurant choices, I'd pick Whispering Canyon, and then Ohana as my second choice.

The final decision would be made on where I'd be coming from. If I was at MK, I'd consider Ohana because it's easy to get to, though you could always take the boat to WL too!

Good list, hard to make a wrong choice really. :mickey:

buzznwoodysmom
03-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Without a doubt I'd pick Ohana. It's a must do for my family. A trip to WDW would not be complete without it, and I'm pretty sure we've eaten there on every one of our trips.

A few years ago we booked a last minute trip for my husband's two week leave from Iraq. His only rule was if we couldn't get Ohana then we couldn't go to Disney! I was only able to get an ADR at 9:30. DH said it best "late Ohana's is better than no Ohana's".

mgmnut
03-02-2012, 05:10 PM
We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge last trip and really enjoyed Whispering canyon, but it was also very convienient. Good food, good fun, brightly lit, somewhat loud, family restaurant.

Ohana was good, we would go there again but not go running back

We ate at Coral Reef last trip. My kids really liked it, but that is more for the atmosphere than the food. I found the food was ok, nothing great. Although, we ate there many many years ago and thought it was absolutely great back then so seems lots have changed over the years.

We really all enjoyed Teppen Edo, food, atmosphere, service were all very good.

We thought Artist Point at the WL was excellent, but that is a signature restaurant so you pay premium prices for the experience.

Another we really liked was Les Chefs de France, that was 2 trips and a few years ago but I do remember thoroughly enjoying it there.

Itchy
03-02-2012, 05:33 PM
Were you using the dining plan or out of pocket.

If you were doing the dining plan that would mean that two of your choices would be signature dining and take two credits. Le Cellier and O'hana.

As far as Ohana, I ate there once with my daughter, she loved it and I was not blown away. Once was enough for me.

Have you tried Raglan Rd at DTD. It is a must for us each trip. In the evening they have live entertainment ( Irish of course ).

We will be there again in May and Sept of this year.

Like Crown & Rose and Prime time 50's, as well as Coral Reef.

Hope this helps...:mickey:

ElenitaB
03-02-2012, 08:10 PM
Of the six, I'd chose Rose & Crown and 'Ohana. You don't have any character meals on your list. If you were to add one, I would add Garden Grill.

Kairi_7378
03-02-2012, 08:30 PM
I'd go with WCC or Coral Reef.

ddd
03-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Were you using the dining plan or out of pocket.

If you were doing the dining plan that would mean that two of your choices would be signature dining and take two credits. Le Cellier and O'hana.

As far as Ohana, I ate there once with my daughter, she loved it and I was not blown away. Once was enough for me.

Have you tried Raglan Rd at DTD. It is a must for us each trip. In the evening they have live entertainment ( Irish of course ).

We will be there again in May and Sept of this year.

Like Crown & Rose and Prime time 50's, as well as Coral Reef.

Hope this helps...:mickey:

according to ddp ohana is only one credit

Crow
03-02-2012, 11:54 PM
never ate at Ohanas..thought about trying it
WCC ive eaten at a few times...the skillet is all you can eat family style and its in WL..those are t good points. otherwise i wouldnt eat there again
Coral Reef was ok, the aquarium is a good point
Tonys in MK i tried once, wasnt impressed
Rose and Crown isnt too bad and its in Epcot.
Rainforest..eh. ate there a while ago
so Id go with Rose and Crown or Coral Reef mainly because i like Epcot

Katzateer
03-03-2012, 07:20 AM
The thing I don't like about Ohanas is it is all about the meat! We don't eat a lot of meat -the sides and dessert are more interesting to me (and I don't like Ohanas dessert).

My choice would be California Grill.

Have fun deciding!:thumbsup:

mickeyman42
03-03-2012, 08:22 AM
I would pick Tony's or O'hana. these seem to be more uniquely disney experiences. Never eaten at tony's but we have eaten at O'hana. I enjoyed it, DW didn't, DD8 and DD4 didn't eat and were tired so I blame that for clouding our experience. I would go back and give it another shot if only to have dessert again, yummy! We have thought about tony's ourselves several times, I just think there something great about eating at the same restaurant as "lady and the tramp" I know there really isn't anything special about it but its something different, plus we are big "lady and the tramp" fans.

have eaten at Coral reef and would never consider it again, unless you just go to watch the aquarium, that was fantastic. again I enjoyed the meal, and the lava cake, but no one else did, not even a little.

Rainforest cafe is so generic that I think you could find it in any town, in any state not just disney world, and wouldn't bother unless you walked up and paid OOP, wouldnt "waste" a ADR or DDP credit on it.
Rose and crown basically describes most restaurants in our neck of the woods that its an obvious no go, now if irish/british pubs are not common where you live then maybe its worth a try, but to me I could find that place in my own backyard. no experience with

mickeyman42
03-03-2012, 08:28 AM
didn't read about a non-list place.....

somewhere not on your list that we love, the grand floridian cafe for dinner, and kona cafe for dinner, both are amazing, probably not overly disney though I guess.......also love les chefs de france, again, ate here during illuminations and thought it was great, decent view of the show if you're near the windows in front. I guess the disney experience that can't be beat would be dinner at the california grill and then watching wishes.......ahhhhhhh

Gusgus
03-03-2012, 09:34 AM
Whispering Canyon Cafe Good food and FUN!

ledudes
03-03-2012, 09:48 AM
Ohana for sure. We love it there and love the food. Salad, pineapple bread, noodles, dumplings, tons of shrimp and meat, and delicious bread pudding at the end. I can't wait to go back in September.

Quadstriker
03-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Dump your Biergarten reservation and take Ohana and Coral Reef.

zipadeedoodah
03-05-2012, 11:11 AM
Okay, thanks for your responses everyone! I've always wanted to try O'hana, so I think that's what we'll go with. It seems that most are recommending that.

We are doing lunch at Le Cellier which is still just one credit. Is California grill a signature restaurant? I have thought about that, but we already are going to Narcoosee's (we never pass it up) so we don't want another signature. And we're going on a night that there is a halloween part at MK - get to watch Halloween Wishes fireworks without paying for the party! :)

I have thought about dropping Biergarten, as the food isn't all that tasty, but I love the entertainment! The band is always so much fun!

SBETigg
03-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Okay, thanks for your responses everyone! I've always wanted to try O'hana, so I think that's what we'll go with. It seems that most are recommending that.

We are doing lunch at Le Cellier which is still just one credit. Is California grill a signature restaurant? I have thought about that, but we already are going to Narcoosee's (we never pass it up) so we don't want another signature. And we're going on a night that there is a halloween part at MK - get to watch Halloween Wishes fireworks without paying for the party! :)

I have thought about dropping Biergarten, as the food isn't all that tasty, but I love the entertainment! The band is always so much fun!

'Ohana is a good choice (O'hana is a common mistake on that one, and it always makes me think of a Polynesian Irish restaurant, which would be fun actually). California Grill is a signature restaurant, 2 TS.

Checkers
03-05-2012, 08:51 PM
Have you considered Via Napoli? It is one of our favorites and we can't wait to go back in Oct. We also enjoy Kona Cafe & Raglan Road. Ohana's doesn't do much for us as we have had mediocre experiences there on two occasions and haven't been back for dinner since. Breakfast was more enjoyable there.

Bethanymouse
03-19-2012, 09:14 PM
My husband and I vote OHANA!!!!!!!!!

TinkerbellT421
03-19-2012, 10:22 PM
I know I vote for O'Hana, and pretty sure so would DBF but he is not here to confirm. But personally O'Hana's is a must do for us every trip out of the option you have listed here. We have had dinner at the other's but O'Hana's is the only one we have been back to every trip. Food has always been excellent for us, never a bad experience. And would atleast chalk it up to a "must try" sometime so why not now? lol