PDA

View Full Version : Disney Fantasy Christening Report

Ian
03-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Hi guys,

I was fortunate enough, through my wife, to be invited to attend the christening ceremony of the Disney Fantasy last up in Manhattan last night.

Thought I'd share a bit of how the evening went with everyone and give a few thoughts on the ship herself.

We arrived at Pier 88 around 6:15 and got checked in pretty quickly. They clearly were focused on security, because we had to show our invitations, present identification, go through metal detectors, and the whole works.

We checked our coats and then boarded the ship. The atrium area of the Fantasy is just as impressive (and frankly exactly the same) as the atrium of the Dream. When Disney says that the Dream and the Fantasy are sister ships they must mean twin sisters, because they look exactly the same. It was actually flashback-city for me ... I felt like I was back on the preview cruise!

It was obvious right out of the gate that this was a gala affair. There were tons of media walking around, lots of camera crews, and in general there was a serious buzz in the air. We hung out in the atrium, browed the ship a bit, sipped on some champagne, and in short order were directed into the Walt Disney Theater for "the show."

I assumed they were just going to either give a little welcome speech to everyone, thank us for coming, and maybe preview the show(s) that would be run on the ship. I remarked to my wife, "Gee, I wonder if Bob Iger is here." We were among the first into the theater, so we just kinda wandered down to the front and actually ended up in the second row, dead center. I thought they might have that area roped off for VIPs, but nope ... we just grabbed seats no problem.

So the show starts, they show this cute little film talking about the long history of Disney and New York and then the curtain opens and out walks Neil Patrick Harris, who was the host for the evening. DW and I were duly impressed ... I never even considered the fact that there might be celebs in attendance. NPH proceeded to do this hilarious musical number set to the tune of Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious that kinda poked fun at Disney and the whole evening (but in a humorous way).

I was impressed ... NPH is actually really talented song and dance guy. He was hysterical, too. So his number segued into the first preview of one of the ship shows, which was based on Aladdin (hold the comments, Mel!). It was cute, but I found the genie costumes a bit creepy. Very well produced, though, as I expected based on the shows on the Dream.

So then NPH comes back out on stage and introduces "Mr. New York Himself" and I'm thinking, "Huh ... wonder who this is?"

Turns out it was Jerry Seinfeld!! I am a huge Senfeld fan ... HUGE! So I was freaking out a bit. He did like about a 15 minute stand-up routine that was just a riot. At one point I turned to DW and was like, "Man ... I'm glad we got these seats!" because we were like no more than 6 feet from him during the show. Very cool!

So the show wrapped up with two more previews of the other two stage shows on the Fantasy (one based on Princess and the Frog and one called Believe that is a new production). Both looked really great and were totally up to Disney standards. They also had Heather Headley perform a medley of songs from Disney films (You'll Be In My Heart from Tarzan, Can You Feel the Love Tonight from Lion King, and a song I didn't recognize). I didn't really know who she was, but apparently she's a big Broadway star who was in Aida and Lion King. Great voice!

After she wrapped up, NPH walked the crowd and called out some other celebs in attendance ... I didn't know a lot of them, but Mayor Bloomberg was in the crowd, Ty Pennington, and yes Bob Iger. I learned later that some of the others were
Tim Gunn (from Project Runway) and Alan Cumming (who I think is an actor). I also saw Nancy Grace.

So once the show ended we all adjourned into the ship atrium for the christening itself. Iger and Tom Staggs (Chairman, Disney Parks & Resorts) gave a speech and introduced the ship's crew and then the ship's Fairy Godmother Mariah Carey came down and presided over the ceremony. There were tons of characters out and lots of confetti and all kinds of hoopla ... it was really a fun thing to witness.

We then got dinner in one of the dining rooms (Royal Court). It was really good! Appetizer of salmon/tuna tartare, filet, and a great dessert sampler. The food was incredibly good, as it was on the Dream.

Overall, I have to say the event was just amazing. Disney did a first class job producing everything and this ship is absolutely as gorgeous as the Dream is. I'm sure everyone who cruises on her is going to have a great time and truly enjoy themselves.

Thanks for the invite, Disney!! :mickey:

Tink1
03-02-2012, 04:07 PM
I will pick up where Ian left off.

After dinner we moved to Europa

Europa is a nighttime entertainment district exclusively for guests 18 and older that features sophisticated bars and trendy lounges inspired by the very best in European travel.

La Piazza (Carousel Bar) looks like an outdoor area you would find in Italy. Very relaxing, low key and welcoming. They had a guitar player and singer here.

Ooh La La is the Fantasy's champagne bar. It felt like you were in a 1920's boudoir with velvet tufted walls, and sofa seating. Dark, not overly feminine (like PINK on dream is) and very comfortable.

O'Gill's pub is the Fantasy's sports bar, but unlike the Dream is not overly masculine. It was a really charming place and occasionally a dance fight would break out between Irish dancers. I did not have any beer in here, but their house drink O'Gills Irish Cream was very smooth. I can see this becoming a very popular spot. I know my husband would gravitate here.

Skyline is similar to Skyline on the Dream. A nice Martini Bar with light up menus and some really different drinks.

Tube is the largest and loudest of the clubs. The bench seats in this "underground" had material printed to look like subway tickets. Complete with red English phone booths, a Union Jack flag floor the DJ had it really hopping last night!

And of course the area had the freaky bathrooms similar to the Dream (Rounded with mirror ceilings) It was actually quite confusing walking through that area. A very Tatooine feeling.

Although the event was listed to end at 11:30, it was closer to 1am by the time we left Ooh La La.

On our way out we rec'd swag bags that had a bottle of Fantasy champagne, 2 commemorative champagne glasses and 2 scarves. I was very surprised the scarves were not emblazoned with the DCL or Fantasy logo though.

Other thoughts on the ship:

New adult area on Deck 13 is very nice. It was cold and rainy so Kathy and I did not hang out long up there. My only concern is that even with the wind blocks it may get very windy there when the ship is at sea. Time will tell, and we will be sailing her on 3/26 to test it out.

I noticed in the Family Pool area that they moved the drink stations to a more mid-ship location and changed their direction. When I last sailed the Dream (March 2010) the beverage stations ran stem to stern, these now are placed port to starboard and do not seem to interrupt traffic flow as much. Same thing for the condiments near Tow Mater's, Filmore's and Luigi's.

I did notice at Nemo's Reef that the Mr Ray slide now has a nice think landing cushion themed to match the floor. They did not have that on the Dream last Spring. Good idea!

Main Dining Restaurants are basically the same. There are some small differences, but nothing major. The Royal Court chandelier was different (no glass slippers), lighting fixtures different and it actually seemed laid out a bit better.

Cabins are basically the same.

The Fantasy has a Bippity Boppity Boutique instead of conference rooms. Prince and Princess (ages 12 and under) transformations take place here. They have a "full monte" package of about $600 for those who desire a really really total Princess make-over

On Pirate night Capt. Jack Sparrow plunders the Boutique and takes over doing Pirate League enrollments. There is no age limit when he is in charge (he has no rules!).
All in all she is a beautiful ship and Disney throws one heck of a party.

I had a camera malfunction on the preview day, so hopefully I can get better pictures when we sail later this month.

Nanci

Ian
03-02-2012, 05:26 PM
On our way out we rec'd swag bags that had a bottle of Fantasy champagne, 2 commemorative champagne glasses and 2 scarves. I was very surprised the scarves were not emblazoned with the DCL or Fantasy logo though.Oh yeah, forgot to mention the swag bag. The champagne and champagne glasses were really nice, but the scarves were weird. First of all, why scarves?? And yeah, why no DCL or Fantasy logo?

Odd ... Nice, but odd ...

DizneyFreak2002
03-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Mariah Carey??? Couldn't find anyone better??? :ack:

Emme&TeddysMommy
03-02-2012, 07:09 PM
When is the ship leaving new York? Wonder if I would have time to see it before she sets sail.

wildernesslady
03-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Wow! What great reports Ian & Nancy. It seems you were truly spoiled. Thanks for sharing.

Tink1
03-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Mariah Carey??? Couldn't find anyone better??? :ack:

I was hoping Julie Andrews, or Angela Landsbury, Jodi Benson or even Amy Adams

They did not ask my opinion though:confused:

Nanc

DizneyFreak2002
03-02-2012, 09:14 PM
I was hoping Julie Andrews, or Angela Landsbury, Jodi Benson or even Amy Adams

They did not ask my opinion though:confused:

Nanc

Julie Andrews is tied to Carnival I think, so she wouldn't have been able to... But someone that actually has to do with Disney would have been nice... But Mariah??? Why are Disney so hung up on here??? :ack:

Kairi_7378
03-02-2012, 09:26 PM
Thanks for giving us a report of what had to be a fantastic event (Mariah and all.)

princessgirls
03-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Nice report Ian!!

A magical night indeed!!!!

Julie:mickey:

Katzateer
03-15-2012, 09:15 PM
Sounds like you both had a great time-thanks for the reports, enjoyed reading about the ships!

HackLaSalle
03-17-2012, 12:30 AM
I wish that the Fantasy was sailing out of NY next October. Though I may catch it out of Port Canaveral for my honeymoon. Thanks for the great report.

diz_girl
03-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the report. Did you (Ian and Nanci) bump into one another at the event?

Ian
03-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Did you (Ian and Nanci) bump into one another at the event?No, I did look for her, but our paths didn't cross.

Donald_Quackers
03-28-2012, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the report, but I've seen the pics of the Dream and Fantasy lobbies, and while they are the same size, they look quite different...at least to me.

The lighter wood tones, different chandelier, and the carpeting appeal to me more on the Fantasy than the Dream.

shadowden
03-29-2012, 11:38 AM
Sounds like a great time! I'm jealous...