PDA

View Full Version : August Questions

buzznwoodysmom
03-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Ok, so I know I said several times that we were going to take an extended break from WDW after our Christmas trip. Well....surprise, surprise we are thinking about an August trip!

My husband has a military training assignment that will take him to Germany for almost the entire month of August. We are not "invited" to join him. We couldn't go even if it were allowed, as my kids go back to school around August 15th. Since he'll be gone from his regular, civilian job, for that amount of time we've decided to not have a week long summer family vacation. Instead we'll do a few weekend getaways here and there. DH has said if our sons and I want a nice summer vacation we are more than welcomed to go somewhere while he is in Germany to cap off our summer.

My mom and I got to talking and decided we would like to take the kids somewhere for the first week in August. We threw around several ideas and the only place we'd really all enjoy is WDW. I don't want to travel to any new locations without DH, and my mom is not fond of the beach, or the mountains. We have thought about many places, but none are as appealing, so WDW is really the only place all 4 of us could agree on.

I've been to WDW in August once. It was my very first trip, I was clueless, our resort was over 30 minutes away (even tho it was advertised as being "10 minutes" away) so there were no mid day breaks when the heat became intolerable. It was a very long time ago, but those memories aren't really fond ones. LOL. I just remember the heat, the extreme heat and humidity. Now that we have 15+ trips under our belts, we will definitely be staying onsite, and don't mind spending huge chuncks of the day at the pool or water parks I'm thinking we can do it without being miserable. Am I kidding myself??????? Is it just as hot and miserable as I remember? Has anyone visited in August recently who vowed to never do that again? Has anyone visited in August recently who actually had a great time? Please either tell me I'm crazy, LOL, and talk me out of it, or tell me what a great time you had despite the awful heat and humidity of August.

I also wanted to note that I live in Southern Louisiana so heat and humidity is nothing new to me or my kids. As a matter of fact my kids keep saying "mom we can either be hot at home or hot in WDW!". Obviously they would rather be hot in WDW! LOL.

faline
03-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Yes it is hot. Yes it is humid. Since you know that and plan to spend considerable time at the pool, I think you'll be fine.

I've found it works well to plan a nice table service meal (or at least in a nice air conditioned building) in the early afternoon followed by some rest and pool time before returning to the parks in the evening.

gaffz70
03-02-2012, 01:45 PM
We have only gone in August. So, for us, we don't know any better. It is definitely a nice vacation for us. We don't go crazy at the parks,we start out early, we stay in deluxe hotels with convenient transportation so we can spend pretty much every afternoon back at the hotel swimming or napping. We also really like spending time at the water parks.

The first time we went, I expected the worst. My dh HATES heat and humidity. I was shocked, he had more fun than any of us.

The other thing that helps is that it is hot & humid at home when we go, so it's really not that much different there.

I often wonder what it would be like going another time of year. But for me, it is too stressful taking kids out of school, too busy during school year holidays and possibly the chance of not enjoying the pools like we do, So the end of August always wins for us.

I think the key is just mentally preparing for it.

Janmac
03-02-2012, 04:57 PM
It probably is just as hot and humid but you are now much more prepared and/or knowledgeable, so chances are you will not be as miserable. Besides, you'll be in the World - you weren't before.

Kids know. You can be hot at home or hot at WDW.

And the thing is, which will you regret more: going to WDW or staying at home? :D

Jan

buzznwoodysmom
03-02-2012, 05:14 PM
And the thing is, which will you regret more: going to WDW or staying at home? :D

Jan

Jan, that is a fantastic way to look at it!!!!

I never thought of looking at it that way. I think if we go we'll have fun and might still prefer not to go in August again, but I doubt that I'd actually regret it. On the other hand, if we don't go I bet I'll be crushed when that week comes around and we are stuck at home when "we could have been in Disney World".

Hmmmm....good thing I already booked Ohana's just in case. LOL.

Disney Doll
03-02-2012, 05:37 PM
We went in September and vowed never to go back because of the heat, but in reality if it was really the only time that worked we would go. It sounds like you know what you are getting into and I really think that makes all the difference.

buzznwoodysmom
03-02-2012, 06:45 PM
We went in September and vowed never to go back because of the heat, but in reality if it was really the only time that worked we would go. It sounds like you know what you are getting into and I really think that makes all the difference.

So true. On that trip in August years ago I too vowed to never go back in August, yet here I am thinking about it. :blush: I think the huge difference in what I knew then and what I know now, will make all the difference in the world as to how much we can enjoy a trip in the extreme heat. But.....I still wonder if an Aug. trip is worth it.

tinksmom02
03-02-2012, 08:18 PM
If you already have an ADR for 'Ohana, then I think we all know what your decision will be. :mickey:

I've always sworn that we'd never do WDW in August, but we did a few days at Universal in August last summer and had a wonderful time, so much so that I've decided we can handle WDW & Universal this August! Just know that it'll be unbearably hot and pack ponchos for the daily thunderstorms, drink plenty of water and enjoy!

BrerGnat
03-03-2012, 10:30 AM
It is pretty darn hot. And humid. I did it once, and while I can't say I'd never do it again, I'm also not itching to do it again.

However, seeing as how you live in the south anyway, and this is nothing different for you, you should totally go!

However, how about doing more water parks this trip, maybe? They are a LOT of fun in the hot summer days! Also, choose a resort with a fabulous pool. :thumbsup:

You've been to WDW enough times now that you know where to find the air conditioning when you need it.

Just go to get away, have some fun, but don't try to be a park commando. Spend a couple hours in the parks, then head back for pool time. Or, plan the majority of your park time in the evenings. The good thing about August is the parks are open late. You could theoretically not even head into the parks until after 5pm or so, and still get in a full "day" worth of park time.

buzznwoodysmom
03-03-2012, 01:37 PM
However, how about doing more water parks this trip, maybe? They are a LOT of fun in the hot summer days! Also, choose a resort with a fabulous pool. :thumbsup:

If we do go this is our plan. We have left over water park tickets that have not expried yet, so we were planning at least 4 water park days/half days anyway.

As for the pool. We are trying to keep costs low, and may have to go with a moderate. However, my boys absolutely adore the pool at CBR, so if we have to go with a mod, this one will work just fine. If I can find DVC points to rent I may "splurg" and upgrade to BC. So we are definitely looking for a resort that has a pool we love to spend time at.