PDA

View Full Version : Magic Kingdom Resort & Express Monorail Lines Daily Closures Starting 3/2/12

Figment!
03-02-2012, 10:47 AM
Effective March 2, 2012; the Magic Kingdom Resort & Express Monorail lines will not be operating from 11:30 am through 6:00 pm daily.

The daily closures are expected to last 4 weeks; however, an end date has not yet been announced.

The daily closures are due to on-going construction on the Disney Vacation Club wing of the Grand Floridian Resort and Spa.

PopPhan
03-02-2012, 11:04 AM
WOW!! Now you'll see the complaints from the MK Resorts crowd!! :thedolls:

Seriously, maybe they can take this time to work on the beams/electrical/etc. as well.

disneynarula
03-02-2012, 12:54 PM
Agreed! This makes the extra cost of a monorail resort so not worth it IMHO!

Butters
03-02-2012, 01:28 PM
Hope they are offering huge discounts for the monorail resorts

DizneyFreak2002
03-02-2012, 02:23 PM

I'd venture to say, no way...

mgmnut
03-02-2012, 04:25 PM
I would be pretty upset if I were staying in a Monorail Resort during this time period especially the Polly. The GF and Contemporary are at least walkable to the MK.

The Monorail is such a huge draw for those Resorts. I feel bad for folks who are staying in one for the first time, probably all excited, and then find out about this.

You have to understand it probably is unavoidable due to the new construction, but I agree the Monorail resorts should be discounted for the time period they are affected, or make up for it some other way.

At least it will be running first thing in the AM and then again at night.

ChipNDale79
03-02-2012, 04:59 PM
Id be upset about this if i stayed at one of these resorts..but, with all the issues the monorail has had lately, this is probably a good thing.

This needs to happen every now and then.

Aurora
03-02-2012, 07:10 PM

They'll only offer discounts if people cancel their ressies and they can't fill the rooms, since they'll still be running the boats and buses as "free" transportation.

Id be upset about this if i stayed at one of these resorts..but, with all the issues the monorail has had lately, this is probably a good thing.

This needs to happen every now and then.

I understood this to mean that the outages are because of the DVC construction, not for monorail upgrades.

I think the timing of this, meaning no advance notice at all, kind of stinks for guests. They should have at least let people know in advance so they could have decided whether it was an issue in their vacation plans.

Aurora
03-02-2012, 07:15 PM
Effective March 2, 2012; the Magic Kingdom Resort & Express Monorail lines will not be operating from 11:30 am through 6:00 pm daily.

The daily closures are expected to last 4 weeks; however, an end date has not yet been announced.

The daily closures are due to on-going construction on the Disney Vacation Club wing of the Grand Floridian Resort and Spa.

I wonder if they will be running the monorails during all the MK extra magic hours now, seeing as how the trains will be getting some down time from these daily closures and won't need as much maintenance. ;)

Main Street Jim
03-02-2012, 10:38 PM
The GF and Contemporary are at least walkable to the MK. Can't walk to MK from the GrandFlo, at least that I know of. There's a canal between the MK Monorail station and GrandFlo that's used for the Electrical Water Pageant floats, and last I knew, there wasn't a bridge crossing that canal. The walkway from MK just leads to a dead-end at the canal past the Monorail station.

At least there's water transportation between the resorts and the park (the launches).

emerzmom
03-03-2012, 10:43 AM
No advance notice on this. We just got a knock on the door with a printed msg about this & a "sorry fir any inconvienance" this morning. It was fairly disorganized yesterday and already seems headed in the same direction today. Many CM's dont seem to know anything about this or how to direct guests.
And, no the monorail did not run during extra magic hours last night.
All this makes you wonder if paying extra for a monorail resort is really worth it.

Joannelet
03-03-2012, 11:05 AM
No advance notice on this. We just got a knock on the door with a printed msg about this & a "sorry fir any inconvienance" this morning. It was fairly disorganized yesterday and already seems headed in the same direction today. Many CM's dont seem to know anything about this or how to direct guests.
And, no the monorail did not run during extra magic hours last night.
All this makes you wonder if paying extra for a monorail resort is really worth it.

Wow Thanks for updating on this! I was wondering if maybe only people that booked at these resorts were informed about this ahead of time. As you have reported this was not the case and that is just terrible and in very poor taste.

DizneyFreak2002
03-03-2012, 02:43 PM
For anyone who is there, have you seen Disney using the new buses they were testing and training on last week??? I'm wondering if they are really going to use these now or if maybe they are waiting since spring crowds will be picking up soon...

Quadstriker
03-03-2012, 03:33 PM
For anyone who is there, have you seen Disney using the new buses they were testing and training on last week??? I'm wondering if they are really going to use these now or if maybe they are waiting since spring crowds will be picking up soon...

Just spent 5 days there and saw 0 of those buses anywhere.

AmandaChan
03-03-2012, 05:12 PM
I do understand construction and maintenance is necessary but I would be absolutely livid if i did not have some sort of warning when booking my vacation. the whole reason we plan on staying at poly in a couple years is b/c we want the monorail resort luxury. omg I would be so MAD! Especially since those places are SO NOT CHEAP.

DizneyFreak2002
03-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Just spent 5 days there and saw 0 of those buses anywhere.

Thanks!!! :thumbsup:

How about an extra ferry?? I read they MAY use an extra ferry during this time...

Ian
03-03-2012, 07:37 PM
If I was staying at a monorail resort and this happened to us with no advance warning at all, I wouldn't be leaving the manager's office until I got a room elsewhere and a refund of the difference between what I paid for my "deluxe monorail resort" and wherever they put me up.

That's ridiculous to pull this with no warning at all.

epceddie
03-03-2012, 09:22 PM
This is very unfair to guests who made their reservations months and months ago. Disney uses the monorail as a huge perk in its marketing efforts and now these people are having the rug pulled out from under them with no advance warning. Talk about inconsiderate and not giving thought. It's too bad that the CM's, who are wonderful and extremely helpful, are going to have to bear the brunt of customer complaints while the high-and-mighty Disney execs are hiding behind their office doors counting their money and laughing all the way to the bank. They should be ashamed of themselves. If they had any guts, they'd work a couple of shifts at one of the monorail stops and meet their customers face to face. The only way guests are going to get Disney's attention is by NOT staying at the monorail resorts. I hope a lot of people demand some kind of refund, because Disney is not delivering on what it promised.

Quadstriker
03-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Let me tell you something else about that construction that was nearly a disaster for us and is a disaster for others right now. If we were getting married now at the Disney Wedding Pavilion, there would be hell to pay. The place looks horrible now compared to when we were there. Imagine big construction equipment driving by as your wedding party is pulling in. Yeah. I saw it happening with my own eyes to people last week.

SOOOOOOOO thankful the construction was delayed till after our day.

mgmnut
03-04-2012, 09:44 AM
Can't walk to MK from the GrandFlo, at least that I know of. There's a canal between the MK Monorail station and GrandFlo that's used for the Electrical Water Pageant floats, and last I knew, there wasn't a bridge crossing that canal. The walkway from MK just leads to a dead-end at the canal past the Monorail station.

At least there's water transportation between the resorts and the park (the launches).

Thanks for clarifying, I have never stayed at the GF, I just figured being so close there was a walkway. I guess that's what I get for assuming.

Disney Doll
03-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Yeah, I'm not usually one to throw a fit, but springing this on resort guests with no warning is just unacceptable especially when the monorail resorts are so much more expensive. It looks like they tried to avoid peak times, but these hours will surely impact those with young kids who might want a quick way to go back for an afternoon nap. I'd be furious if I were there now.

AmandaChan
03-04-2012, 10:49 AM
And, I'm sure they knew in advance that they were going to be working on the DVC portions of the GF... I can see if, for the safety of their crew and what not, they would need to shut the monorails down for construction in case something bad happened, or they found something that needed repair that turned out to be a bigger problem than what they thought. But I can totally see them not giving out an advanced warning to people making deluxe resort reservations months in advance for fear of losing money. If we go in 2014 we would have saved up for almost 3 years, spent about $6000 if not more just to stay in one of those resorts, and did I mention that I would be very upset?? hah.

cranes in the park sometimes, that happens. it's unavoidable. but big construction vehicles around a wedding pavilion after someone has just spent their life's savings on the wedding of their dream? I would be so beside myself.

Disney Doll
03-04-2012, 11:05 AM
Does anyone know how they handled the weddings? To me the issue with the monorail is not that it is down, but how they handled it. Construction is inevitable, but a flyer under your door midway through your vacation is about the worst way to do something like that. There should have been advanced warning and an effort to accommodate those who might have wanted to move elsewhere.

There are plenty of gorgeous spots to have a wedding at Disney. I'm sure the pavilion is the most popular, but I would hope that they offered those couple who would be impacted by construction an opportunity to move their ceremony elsewhere on property. I was in the world 11-11-11 and it seemed like there was a wedding taking place around every corner.

Quadstriker
03-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Does anyone know how they handled the weddings? To me the issue with the monorail is not that it is down, but how they handled it. Construction is inevitable, but a flyer under your door midway through your vacation is about the worst way to do something like that. There should have been advanced warning and an effort to accommodate those who might have wanted to move elsewhere.

There are plenty of gorgeous spots to have a wedding at Disney. I'm sure the pavilion is the most popular, but I would hope that they offered those couple who would be impacted by construction an opportunity to move their ceremony elsewhere on property. I was in the world 11-11-11 and it seemed like there was a wedding taking place around every corner.

Yes I can tell you how they handled those weddings impacted by the construction. The word we are looking for here is "poorly."

Here's the problem. Say you book your wedding date a year out. Now you go take your trip to Disney for your planning session - and there's no question going in that you want the wedding pavilion. You get there, it looks amazing so you book it for what I assure you is not an insignificant amount of money. And now you start planning your event with all your focus on the wedding pavilion.

Then you get an email months later that says "lol construction lol at you" with no offer of compensation. What? What construction? What's going on? Why wasn't I told about this? This is not acceptable. No I don't know about choosing any other venue I DIDN'T LOOK AT ANY OTHERS WHEN I WAS DOWN THERE BECAUSE THE ONE YOU SOLD ME WHEN I WAS THERE WAS PERFECT. And the response you get "Huh? What? We'll get back to you." But they won't. They'll leave you sitting there twiddling your thumbs. Your phone calls will be directed to different people all trying to pass the buck. Your bride will be in tears. You will go 3 weeks after an agreement is made to offer a compensation with absolutely ZERO contact. After an extended period of time, you will receive a "compensation" offer which will be at least somewhat appropriate, but could never make up for the stress you had to deal with.

AND WE WERE THE LUCKY ONES. The construction was not in full swing during our wedding in October, there was just a blue wall up which I barely remember seeing that day. Still the looming thought of not knowing what in the world we were to encounter when we got there was a big issue.

And I'll be honest, we went on another trip last week, and the place looks like <snip> right now. Absolute <snip>.

DVC slapped the disney's wedding enterprise in the face with pretty much zero warning - customers be <snip>. The Wedding people were scrambling, had their hands tied, and were overwhelmed, frustrated, you name it. They were placed in an impossible situation. I don't blame them so much as whoever dropped this bombshell on them after they already were planning weddings.

DVC (or those responsible for the decision) needed to have a plan GOING IN as to what to do about the weddings, and they didn't. They needed to have established what they were going to do for their brides and grooms BEFORE planning the construction instead of making them fight to get what they were sold and paid for.

So yeah, they handled it... poorly.

AndrewJackson
03-04-2012, 01:42 PM
I wonder if they will get extra or larger boats for the deluxe resorts. That would help some.

LilHooligan74
03-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Has anymore been said in reference to how long it will be? We will be there next month and I have always enjoyed the monorail.

BrerGnat
03-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Has anymore been said in reference to how long it will be? We will be there next month and I have always enjoyed the monorail.

I would assume a pretty long time. Most certainly will still be in effect next month. They are constructing the DVC structure AROUND the track partially, to add a station. So, my guess is for at least the rest of this year.

TheRustyScupper
03-10-2012, 10:18 AM
1) We stayed GF-Main-Building this week.
2) The monorail did, indeed, halt during the day.
. . . it stopped at 11:30am each day
. . . it started again at different times
. . . it started anywhere between 4:30pm and 6:16pm
3) It really was not such a big deal from GF.
. . . there were plenty of buses
. . . they brought over Friendships for boat transit
4) Some folks around the pool complained.
5) Most just took it in stride.
6) Wife and I had no real issues with it.

Fangorn
03-10-2012, 01:14 PM

The official word on this from Disney is that "Weather permitting, we expect this work to be complete before the end of March.".

Obviously construction will continue, but the portion requiring the monorail to shut down should be over relatively quickly.

Steve

Jared
03-10-2012, 01:58 PM
I would assume a pretty long time. Most certainly will still be in effect next month. They are constructing the DVC structure AROUND the track partially, to add a station. So, my guess is for at least the rest of this year.
Where do you get your information from? At least for the rest of the year? The monorail is scheduled to resume regular service next month. That has been widely reported.

Scar
03-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Can't walk to MK from the GrandFlo, at least that I know of. There's a canal between the MK Monorail station and GrandFlo that's used for the Electrical Water Pageant floats, and last I knew, there wasn't a bridge crossing that canal. The walkway from MK just leads to a dead-end at the canal past the Monorail station.I can't for life of me understand why a bridge was never built here, unless the answer is money. They should have at least put a temp up for this time. The Army Corps of Engineers could have had one up in 15 minutes.

Main Street Jim
03-10-2012, 02:07 PM
I can't for life of me understand why a bridge was never built here, unless the answer is money. They should have at least put a temp up for this time. The Army Corps of Engineers could have had one up in 15 minutes.You have to realize how *tall* the EWP barges are, too (like about 25-30' at least). If they *had* built a bridge here, it would a) have to be tall enough to clear the EWP barges, and therefore very *steep* to walk over, or b) the ramp would have to be *very* long to get to the height needed to clear the barges. Either way, I think would be very unsightly in that location.

Scar
03-10-2012, 02:10 PM
... or, c) they could have built a drawbridge. ;)

BrerGnat
03-10-2012, 02:12 PM

You beat me to it.

They just don't want to spend the money. Plain and simple. It could be done quite easily. They could simply close off the walkway at night to allow for the EWP barges to get through.

Fangorn
03-10-2012, 02:44 PM
It could be done quite easily. They could simply close off the walkway at night to allow for the EWP barges to get through.

Exactly. They have a drawbridges elsewhere on property. Why can't they put one across that canal? That would be just an awesome walk.

Steve

Dyanna
03-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Are they utilizing this time the monorail is down to repair the track? Would be a wise idea to kill 2 birds with one stone.

A Big Kid
03-11-2012, 01:26 PM
Exactly. They have a drawbridges elsewhere on property. Why can't they put one across that canal? That would be just an awesome walk.

Steve
If Disney thought they could create a revenue stream for the adventure of crossing the bridge, they would build it. Until that happens, don't expect a bridge.

brivers222
03-12-2012, 02:06 PM
so after the DVC is built i am anxiously anticipating the monorails being open until the last remaining park closes... and not shut down at dumb hours like it did recently.

afterall they now have 7 hours a day (7 days a week) to work on those track and safety renovations.

/sarcasm i know it will never go back to full working capacity... once they take something away you can rest assured they won't bring it back!

This does make my decison of staying offsite with a car SO MUCH EASIER...

Scar
03-12-2012, 02:17 PM
If Disney thought they could create a revenue stream for the adventure of crossing the bridge, they would build it. Until that happens, don't expect a bridge.Hmmm... A toll bridge at Disney World... Interesting concept.

A Big Kid
03-12-2012, 09:41 PM

Steve

Hmmm... A toll bridge at Disney World... Interesting concept.

You just KNOW there is an imagineer reading this thread right now conking himself on the forehead saying, "why didn't I think of that?!"

brownie
03-13-2012, 10:44 AM
Does daily mean this happening on the weekends too? I have a work trip coming up that's going to allow me to get some weekend time in at Disney World and I was trying to work out some logistics to make it to multiple parks.

diz_girl
03-13-2012, 12:35 PM

I was thinking the same thing too.

A pp mentioned that they're working on a monorail station for the DVC. Really? I haven't seen that posted anywhere. I thought that the DVC would have a covered walkway to the main building (which is nice because none of the other GF buildings have one). But I doubt that the DVC would have its own monorail station. I think that monorail disruption is just caused by the need for the crane to be in such a small space, sandwiched in-between the wedding pavilion, the beach, the beach pool and the monorail line, that they have to work over the monorail line and it would be a safety issue when that happens.

SBETigg
03-13-2012, 01:46 PM
I was thinking the same thing too.
A pp mentioned that they're working on a monorail station for the DVC. Really? I haven't seen that posted anywhere. I thought that the DVC would have a covered walkway to the main building (which is nice because none of the other GF buildings have one).

This is exactly what I've read, that there's to be a covered walkway leading to the current monorail stop at the GF and not a separate monorail stop for the new building. This might have changed, but wasn't in the plan that I saw. They could be somehow adding on to the current monorail stop though, or altering it somehow to deal with increased crowds.

I can't imagine that Disney would connect a walkway through the boat storage area between MK/GF, because that would also involve making that area less unsightly to guests walking by and require a bigger solution than just making a drawbridge. You can see it now, but just passing through or from a distance. I imagine they wouldn't want guests lingering close to an area that is essentially a backstage area.

Also, as far as staying at a monorail hotel, I think most of the the guests there won't be that blown away with disappointment. We all know there are other transportation methods and the real magic for many of us who choose to stay in that area is not actually having the monorail but having the proximity to the MK and lagoon. As for my family, we prefer the boats much of the time anyway. Not to say this isn't terribly inconvenient or handled well. Obviously, they could have done much better and not having the monorail option would be a disappointment, albeit more minor than one might think.

Figment!
03-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Does daily mean this happening on the weekends too? Most likely, yes.

BrerGnat
03-13-2012, 07:13 PM
I thought I read that the construction of the DVC building will be on both sides of the monorail track? I took that to mean that there will be a station there. No? If not that, maybe there will be a "pass through" into a courtyard or something. Otherwise, why would there be building construction on both sides of the track?

Melanie
03-13-2012, 07:17 PM
We were at Magic Kingdom today, and it was fairly crowded. That said, they had three ferrys running, and it wasn't too inconvenient to leave during the monorail closure. Of course, this is speaking as a non-resort guest. I'd still be miffed if I were staying at a monorail resort. :unsure:

spoiledraf
03-16-2012, 01:39 PM
Also, as far as staying at a monorail hotel, I think most of the the guests there won't be that blown away with disappointment. We all know there are other transportation methods and the real magic for many of us who choose to stay in that area is not actually having the monorail but having the proximity to the MK and lagoon. As for my family, we prefer the boats much of the time anyway. Not to say this isn't terribly inconvenient or handled well. Obviously, they could have done much better and not having the monorail option would be a disappointment, albeit more minor than one might think.

I would strongly disagree. Take all the people that use the monorail and try to put them on that little ferry. It would be the longest que you stand in all day!

Bay Lake
03-20-2012, 08:29 AM
Are they utilizing this time the monorail is down to repair the track? Would be a wise idea to kill 2 birds with one stone.

Yes they are, last week your could see them on the track near the MK bus station. Then later in the week I saw the machine closer to the TTC.

Lizzy
03-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Has there been any more updates on an estimated completion time? Not for the DVC but for the part that closes the monorail during the day?

Tygger7
03-26-2012, 01:26 PM
From what I read, the work completed quicker than expected and the monorail was back to normal operating schedule effective March 15th.