PDA

View Full Version : WL Room Rehab?!?!?!

CuteAsMinnie
02-29-2012, 03:40 PM
I just came across info stating the beloved WL will have all the room and hallways rehabed top ti bottom beginning on April, lasting 26 weeks. This would be very extensive!

What do OUR Intercot experts know? Are there preliminary sketches anywhere? It sure seems like they rehabed the rooms maybe 5-6 years ago. Should we be excited?!
:cool:

buzznwoodysmom
02-29-2012, 04:39 PM
I just came across info stating the beloved WL will have all the room and hallways rehabed top ti bottom beginning on April, lasting 26 weeks. This would be very extensive!

What do OUR Intercot experts know? Are there preliminary sketches anywhere? It sure seems like they rehabed the rooms maybe 5-6 years ago. Should we be excited?!

This is great news. On our trip in Dec. I noticed that the rooms were looking worn. Nothing major, but I was sure there must be a refurb around the corner. We were at WL in June of 2010, March of 2011, and again in December of 2011, and on each trip I did notice more and more wear in the rooms.

We stayed at WL in Feb. of 2007, which I think was very shortly after the new decor was put in, so that would be at least 5 years. Definitely time for a change by Disney resort standards.

CuteAsMinnie
02-29-2012, 06:11 PM
From what I can find, it looks like WL is getting new carpet, wallpaper (possibly replaced with paint in some areas), new paint, new tubs, toilets, bathroom fixtures, tile, vanity, soft goods, something with the balcony.

Can't wait to see pics.

buzznwoodysmom
02-29-2012, 10:20 PM
From what I can find, it looks like WL is getting new carpet, wallpaper (possibly replaced with paint in some areas), new paint, new tubs, toilets, bathroom fixtures, tile, vanity, soft goods, something with the balcony.

Can't wait to see pics.

Yep, those were pretty much all the things I noticed that were looking worn. Our bathroom, however, was in great condition. The bathrooms over at the Poly really need to be replaced. Those looked old, dated, and not so clean. But I think the Poly is getting ready to have it's own refurb in the next year or two. Or at least that's the "word on the web". LOL.

BrerGnat
03-01-2012, 08:24 AM
From my limited internet sleuthing, it appears that everything but the headboards and major furniture is up for replacement with new/different items.

It's about due. We stayed in the WL in 2007, just after the last soft goods refurb was done. But, from reports I've seen lately, the rooms are looking pretty worn, particularly the bathrooms. That resort is quite old, so it's probably overdue.

I think we might stay here on our next trip, in 2013 or 2014, so that is good news and I will be interested to see the finished product.

floridamom
03-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Look forward to hearing/seeing more. We love to stay at WL at Christmastime- seems like the refurb should be done just in time for holiday visitors.

Davy Crockett
03-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Thank you CuteAsMinnie for this heads up. This has me bothered. We stayed at WL right after the last rehab, but from the reports I've been able to find it looks like they will just be kicking off everything by the end of May, SO my question is... Is there any way to know in advance what floor or floors they will be working on? And I'm going out on a limb here to think that calling the concierge or the front desk at the WL would not help as I don't think they would give any specific details on the construction. I don't want to put in a request that for obvious could not be filled or be in the construction zone. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks again!

BrerGnat
03-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Thank you CuteAsMinnie for this heads up. This has me bothered. We stayed at WL right after the last rehab, but from the reports I've been able to find it looks like they will just be kicking off everything by the end of May, SO my question is... Is there any way to know in advance what floor or floors they will be working on? And I'm going out on a limb here to think that calling the concierge or the front desk at the WL would not help as I don't think they would give any specific details on the construction. I don't want to put in a request that for obvious could not be filled or be in the construction zone. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks again!

Typically, resorts are refurbished from the top down, one floor at a time. Not sure if this helps you any.

kakn7294
03-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Oh pooh, I hate being at a resort during a refurb and we'll be there in July, right in the middle! I hope our room will be one that's already done and that they'll working at the other end of the resort!

Jeff T
03-02-2012, 11:47 AM
To my knowledge this potential refurb has not been officially announced - correct? Disney World Travel is definately not aware of any extensivie refurb work at the WL. I contacted them recently to see if the rumored work would affect our stay at the WL in June. Neither is Magical Journey's which booked our trip.

madhatterrules
03-04-2012, 10:01 AM
I'm a little concerned now; I just reserved a July stay. Will this negatively impact our time there? I usually don't choose a resort that's under going refurb.

BrerGnat
03-04-2012, 10:21 AM
Disney has not officially announced this yet, but I did come across the actual work order between Disney and the company doing the refurb, so it's definitely going to happen. Disney likes to make this stuff public as late as possible, so you won't hear anything about this "officially" until a couple weeks before work begins. Par for the course.

For anyone booked there during this time, don't worry. The worst that can happen is you are put in a room either above or under one that is being worked on, and in that case, you can ask for a room change. Usually, they close off a floor at a time, or a section of a floor, and try to keep guests away from the work going on. It's fairly non intrusive.

kakn7294
03-06-2012, 08:41 AM
For anyone booked there during this time, don't worry. The worst that can happen is you are put in a room either above or under one that is being worked on, and in that case, you can ask for a room change. Usually, they close off a floor at a time, or a section of a floor, and try to keep guests away from the work going on. It's fairly non intrusive.

Sorry, I have to disagree with you here. I've been at resorts under refurbishment several times in the past and I do agree that it usually is fairly nonintrusive BUT WL is a different resort - it's not huge and it's all in one building so there could be some issues from a refurb. However, my biggest concern is that I'm hoping for an AP (or any other) discount so this potential refurb may mean no discounts for my stay because there will be fewer rooms available for guests. I might have to rethink that budget. :(

Melanie
03-06-2012, 08:49 AM
I'm very glad to hear this and agree it's due. We stayed at WL during Marathon weekend in January, and in particular, as mentioned, the bathroom areas are quite worn. After having stayed there for our honeymoon when the resort was new, this was quite a letdown. Bring it on!

BrerGnat
03-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Sorry, I have to disagree with you here. I've been at resorts under refurbishment several times in the past and I do agree that it usually is fairly nonintrusive BUT WL is a different resort - it's not huge and it's all in one building so there could be some issues from a refurb. However, my biggest concern is that I'm hoping for an AP (or any other) discount so this potential refurb may mean no discounts for my stay because there will be fewer rooms available for guests. I might have to rethink that budget. :(

Yes, it may mean less discount availability. However, if you are counting on using a discount, you always need to have a plan B. And C.

We wanted to stay at WL in December using a room discount, but alas, there was no availability. We ended up back at Beach Club, which was just fine with us, although I really had my heart set on WL. It's the risk you take when you rely on a discount.