View Full Version : We're finally going back! Day 1

SallyMcQueen
02-27-2012, 10:03 PM
Castmembers

Me – 33
DH – 34
DD – 8
DS – 4

As a little bit of background, we did a split stay with 2 nights at Pop and 3 at Beach Club. A big thank you to Kathy at Magical Journeys for making this the most painless vacation I’ve ever booked. Also, we chose to drive from our home in southern Wisconsin to WDW. The plan was to be on the road on Saturday, Feb. 4th by 4:00 am. By noon on Friday I was so ready to leave work. My brain was no longer in work mode. Friday night was filled with getting the last minute packing done and getting the car all ready to go so that all we had to do was pack up the cooler, throw it in the car and hit the road. We’d gotten everything ready to go and I was in bed by 9pm. I was taking the first leg of the driving, so I had the early bed time.

Let’s just say 3 am comes mighty early no matter what time you go to bed. Even though I hopped out of bed, okay more like thudded out of bed, showered and had the cooler packed and in the car by about 3:40. I was hoping to put the kids in the car still asleep, but they were just too excited and were up and ready to go by about 3:45.

The only one not raring to go was DH. Somehow he came down with some sort of bug and was really dragging. Well we didn’t end up getting on the road until close to 4:30, a half hour behind schedule. Something you should know about me is I’m a planner -down to the minute type of planner. This delay was not making me happy. But I kept telling myself “who cares, we are going to Disney World!” The rule we told the kids is we wouldn’t turn on the movies until 7:00 am, in hopes they’d at least fall asleep for a little bit. Well, no such luck. But they did awesome and waited patiently until 7. After about 7 the trip was a blur. I know we hit Paducah, KY around 11, had lunch in Nashville, and we hit Atlanta around dinner time. Everyone was holding up pretty well until about an hour south of Atlanta. That’s when the troops started lagging. Somewhere around Macon, GA is where we got one of the quotes of the trip from DS who was just barely holding it together, “Mom, my butt checks hurt!” I got everyone to hold on for a little while longer. We eventually stopped at the Fairfield Inn in Tifton, GA. They were great and ended up giving us a suite for the price of a regular room. We went out grabbed some Chick-fil-A and then went to bed. We needed to get to sleep because we were going to Disney World the next day!

vizsla
02-28-2012, 04:12 AM
Thanks for the report.

Jillirose
02-28-2012, 07:15 AM
Have done that drive many times from MI. I am always amazed at the vastness of Georgia!

princessgirls
02-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Even though you had some minor bumps...you are off to a great start!!

Julie:mickey:

faline
02-28-2012, 06:10 PM
. By noon on Friday I was so ready to leave work. My brain was no longer in work mode.

I can so relate to this!! You really traveled quite some distance on your first day. Sounds like your kids are really good travelers!

DisneyorBust
02-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Wow! You and your family put in some miles !
I agree with you, 3am is a rough start, regardless of when you went to bed.
Hopefully your husband is feeling better. Of to your next post to find out!

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-29-2012, 01:39 PM
Sounds like a long day:)

buzznwoodysmom
03-02-2012, 09:59 AM
We always drive down so I know the feelings, and I can feel the excitment through your post about the trip down there!!! Your post reminds me of our drives to WDW. Sounds like a long, but productive day!

Dopey's Girl
03-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Wow! That is a long day! We used to do the drive from St Paul and would have never made it that far!

LilHooligan74
03-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Sounds awesome! Getting excited for next month just reading your trip report, even excited about packin and driving....

hauntedmansiongirl
03-07-2012, 01:10 AM
We're leaving in just over a month and your report is getting me so excited!

I can't believe how good your kids were! I love the quote from your son! Just priceless! :mickey: