PDA

View Full Version : My crazy daughter is asking about camping...

mom2morgan
02-27-2012, 09:42 PM
My DD wanted me to ask about the possibility of camping (we're flying in from Canada, so her and her buddy - they're both 19 - would pack a small pop-up tent and sleeping bags in their luggage.) After looking at the site, I'm thinking they might not be completely crazy...it would certainly be cheap! Thoughts?
Oh, and this would be the latter half of September. Myself, DH and DD 14 are staying at CBR. Morgan got the idea to bring a friend and get their own digs, and so far they've been looking at a value. Trying to do it on a shoestring!

disneynarula
02-28-2012, 06:49 AM
It would be cheap, that's for sure. You get all the benefits of staying on property without the cost.

Just keep in mind that it is still pretty hot that time of year. That would be the only "con" for me.

It might be a good alternative if there are not any discounts at the values.

Disney sometimes offers free dining that time of year. Maybe they would be able to get that too?

DizneyRox
02-28-2012, 06:52 AM
Disney sometimes offers free dining that time of year. Maybe they would be able to get that too?
I don't believe "free" dining is available at campsites. Thought I read that at one point... Value would be the best chance...

Pirate Granny
02-28-2012, 07:37 AM
Beware of the storms...especially if they are in a pop up....September afternoons can be pretty violent...but I suppose they could alwaysnretreat to your value.

disneynarula
02-28-2012, 11:05 AM
I wasn't sure about the free dining at the campsites. I would have them book a value room. As the pp pointed out it can get pretty stormy.

I booked a value when I was around that age and split it with a friend. We were very careful about saving money prior to the trip. I was surprised how much money I saved from brown bagging my lunches and not eating dinner out either. It really adds up. But maybe your daughter is already "thrifty".

joonyer
02-28-2012, 11:57 AM
For us the real savings in camping at FW comes in bringing and preparing our own food at our campsite (breakfast and suppers) This saves our family a lot more than just the difference between the cost of the campsite vs. a value room. If you can only bring a small tent and sleeping bags, you have no way to cook or prepare food, so you won't be able to take advantage of cooking in camp.

Still, you'll be able to save some $$:
Value resort rooms in Sept. (std view) = $85-$95 weekday/weekend (rack rate)
If you can find a discount rate (likely), you may pay even less.

FW campsite in Sept. Partial hookup (cheapest site) = $46-$49 weekday/weekend.
Note: you are less likely to find any discounts on campsites than you are hotel rooms.

That's a $39-$46 per day savings. If you are young and tough, maybe the savings will be worth the discomfort of sleeping on the ground in the heat and humidity of a Florida Sept. night. Never mind the daily thunderstorms. :-)

DizneyRox
02-28-2012, 02:14 PM
Nobody mentioned September is the sweet spot for Hurricane season... Just sayin...

buzznwoodysmom
02-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Nobody mentioned September is the sweet spot for Hurricane season... Just sayin...

I'm pretty sure I've read before that Disney moves guests from the campgrounds into resorts during a hurricane. I don't know all the details, like does Disney charge for such accomodations, but I'm positive I've read this in the past.

I still would not camp tent in September. It can still be pretty hot. And then, just the thought of it raining, which can happen at anytime, is enough to make me never want to tent camp in WDW. I can't imagine what to do with a bunch of wet stuff. Doesn't sound very fun to me.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
02-28-2012, 02:53 PM
As someone that lives in PRIME hurricane area - (We got slammed by Irene in the fall).....I would be very reluctant to tent camp in September in Florida.

mom2morgan
02-28-2012, 04:03 PM
As someone that lives in PRIME hurricane area - (We got slammed by Irene in the fall).....I would be very reluctant to tent camp in September in Florida.
It is amazing the things I SHOULD KNOW, but just don't think of coming from a very different climate....Definitely will NOT recommend the camping option ;-)

LilHooligan74
03-06-2012, 10:21 AM
Camping is fun, and yes it is Disney so it is a more civilized than camping in the woods. BUT it is down south and the ground bound critters are still very active that time of year. Snakes don't bother me too much but I would not want to share my bed roll with a Cottonmouth. :down:
Also as stated before Hurricanes are a very real possibility. Many of the major Hurricanes of the last 25 years to have struck the Southern Atlantic Seaboard hit Between late August and mid to late September.
Value is my vote.:thumbsup: