PDA

View Full Version : ***RUMOR*** NextGen To Hit Dining In A Big Way

DizneyFreak2002
02-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Update posted 02-27-2012 10:59 pm by DizneyFreak2002

To clarify some things, this would only be counter service, not table service.. Basically quick serve... And the 180 day out, no... Much more closer to your vacation, more than likely the day of, not 180 days out... So, for example, if you are at Epcot and feel like Electric Umbrella, you can order your food via your smart phone, set up a time, and arrive at that time, pick up your food, and sit down and eat without having to wait to place your order with the cashier, pay, then wait for your food... Made the call to clarify what my friend told me...

-----------------------------------------------

Originally posted 02-27-2012 4:08 pm by DizneyFreak2002

OK, I am prefacing this with RUMOR... We all know we can make ADRs 180 days out from our resort reservation... HOWEVER, new rumor floating around is, as part of NextGen, Disney will allow guests to actually ORDER their FOOD 180 days in advance too... Supposedly you would be able to do this by app or online...

OK, again, please take this as rumor and not something set in stone or happening for sure... But, I think we can still have a discussion about this possibility... What do you all think about this??

Personally, I hate this idea.. I don't know what I want to eat tomorrow never mind 180 days from now... I hate booking ADRs that far out... I rather order my food when I am in the restaurant looking at the menu.. That way I can order what I am in the mood for...

A few problems I can see with this: 1) People ordering food then never showing up; 2) people changing their minds when they arrive at the place they ordered from; 3) orders not going through and not being filled properly...

I would also assume, if this does in fact happen, Disney will make you pay up front for your meal or charge you for the meal if you don't show up.. One way or another, I am sure you'll be charged...

So, discuss... And please, bash this all you want cause this NextGen nonsense will really kill the parks and the WDW experience if you ask me...

Melanie
02-27-2012, 03:11 PM
This is stupid.

AgentC
02-27-2012, 03:18 PM
Why would someone want to do this? Very bizarre idea.

Gator
02-27-2012, 03:18 PM
You can't be serious? Next, we'll hear that they're trying fastpasses for Wishes.

What.....:thedolls:

JPL
02-27-2012, 03:27 PM
I can't see this working for any table service restaurant since there are too many variables in the mix. Daily Specials and menu changes etc. However I can see an app that allows you to order from counter service restaurants, pay in advance and pick up your order being a very nice option! I just can't see the 180 days coming into to play. It would be nice to order from Cosmic Rays or Pecos Bills while you are walking over there and just picking up your order and sitting down to eat. It would really cut down the lines and allow a sort of FP for food.:thumbsup:

buzznwoodysmom
This is going WAY too far, in my opinion. They are trying to drain (won't let me use the word I want - such, with a "k" at the end- lol) all the fun (and money I'm sure) out of a WDW vacation! My family would never go for this. I can deal with the 180 day ADR rule, but I will not place my order before I arrive. That's just plain stupid.

Maybe Disney is throwing all these rumors out there just to see how far the public is willing to go with this.

DizneyFreak2002
You can't be serious? Next, we'll hear that they're trying fastpasses for Wishes.

***coughcough xPass coughcough***

ronandjulie
02-27-2012, 03:47 PM
I hope this is just internet garbage and is not true. What nonsense. I think it's bad enough that you have to plan what restaurant you want to eat at 6 months out, but to plan your meal is insane. I live in the area so WDW to me is easy, but to all of you that come from the 4 corners of the earth, WDW has got to be confusing to have to do that much planning. How do you have any fun?

Quadstriker
02-27-2012, 03:59 PM
Lol come on guys there's no way in Hades that happens. What's the source of this "rumor"?

DizneyFreak2002
02-27-2012, 04:01 PM
I hope this is just internet garbage and is not true. What nonsense. I think it's bad enough that you have to plan what restaurant you want to eat at 6 months out, but to plan your meal is insane. I live in the area so WDW to me is easy, but to all of you that come from the 4 corners of the earth, WDW has got to be confusing to have to do that much planning. How do you have any fun?

Sometimes things are put out there on the internet purposely... That way Disney can gauge fan reaction... Sometimes these rumors are true in the sense that Disney has plans to institute such a program, but when they get hit with backlash, they cancel the project... Other times, people leak plans that are going forward for "company politics" reasons, either the person didn't like the idea and wanted negative reaction to get management to cancel the project, or someone is so in love with a project that management wouldn't greenlight that this person leaks these plans in hopes of getting public support and change management minds'... Is it possible this is one of those situations?? Sure... That is why I brought it here... Disney monitors fan sites... If we fans start speaking up, LOUDLY, then maybe we can influence bad management decisions... And this one, if at all true, is a horrible management decision... And one I hope never sees the light of day...

Jared
02-27-2012, 04:01 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I saw that line in the article you're probably referencing and immediately thought it was a joke. I mean that literally -- I think the author was attempting sarcasm and, apparently, failed miserably. That was my sense of it, anyway.

As for xPASS in general, after reading Jim Hill's latest piece, I'm still not convinced this is really all that bad. I don't know -- it all sounds more or less avoidable if you dislike it, and the reality is I suspect a vast majority of park guests will actually like the system when it comes online.

Tink1
02-27-2012, 04:04 PM
This is stupid.

Simple, yet true

Nanc

DizneyFreak2002
02-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I saw that line in the article you're probably referencing and immediately thought it was a joke. I mean that literally -- I think the author was attempting sarcasm and, apparently, failed miserably. That was my sense of it, anyway.

As for xPASS in general, after reading Jim Hill's latest piece, I'm still not convinced this is really all that bad. I don't know -- it all sounds more or less avoidable if you dislike it, and the reality is I suspect a vast majority of park guests will actually like the system when it comes online.

Who, jimmy Boy??? I take what he says with a healthy dose of salt... But no, he isn't the one I got that from... I was actually told this by a friend of mine who heard it... She works for the mouse...

He reversed his course on xPass in a hurry though...

Jared
02-27-2012, 04:20 PM
Who, jimmy Boy??? I take what he says with a healthy dose of salt... But no, he isn't the one I got that from... I was actually told this by a friend of mine who heard it... She works for the mouse...

He reversed his course on xPass in a hurry though...
Not to question your cast friend, but I'm almost positive this rumor originated as a little joke in a Jim Hill column -- or a story elsewhere on the Internet. I bet if you traced the origin of the rumor, it would eventually lead back there.

This wouldn't be the first time that Cast Members started passing around online rumors as fact. If one credible person says it's true, then suddenly everyone in Central Florida starts saying it and then suddenly you have an avalanche.

Just throwing it out there.

Jared
02-27-2012, 04:21 PM

This, in fact, is starting as we speak. Disney is testing Fastpass for Wishes, the nighttime parade and the castle show starting in March.

DizneyRox
02-27-2012, 04:21 PM
I order 20 minutes in advance for pizza and 10 minutes for Chinese...

Other than that, I order at the table/counter...

ChipNDale79
02-27-2012, 04:24 PM
This morning I was thinking I wanted Pizza for dinner, well now that doesnt sound good. Now Beef Tips and rice sounds good to me.

Jeez....lets hope we can predict what we'll feel like eating in 180 days!!!

Jared
02-27-2012, 04:27 PM
For the record, even in the post-dining plan era, the menus at the restaurants rarely stay exactly the same for that long. I cannot see any feasible way this is true.

buzznwoodysmom
02-27-2012, 04:28 PM
This, in fact, is starting as we speak. Disney is testing Fastpass for Wishes, the nighttime parade and the castle show starting in March.

You have got to be kidding me! So if I want to get a spot to watch the parade, Wishes, or the castle show ahead of time, are you saying there will be spots that are off limits to me if I didn't FP it?

Scar
02-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Disney will allow guests to actually ORDER their FOOD 180 days in advance too... Won't it get cold?

Seriously, if true, why? I mean can Disney benefit in some way from this?

Ian
02-27-2012, 04:38 PM
Not to be too blunt about it, but this is stupid and 99% likely to be completely fake.

FIrst off, Disney would never want to be committed to having a certain menu item available 180 days in advance. Their menus are constantly changing, so why in the world would they put themselves in a situation where they'd be forced to contact people on a daily basis telling them that the entree they selected for their trip in nine weeks is no longer available and please make another selection only to then have to email them six weeks later and tell them that their new selection is no longer available, etc. etc. etc.

Some rumors you can maybe see happening, but this is just dumb and totally unbelieveable. There's no upside in it for Disney or the guests. It's patently absurd.

That is all. ;)

Kenny1113
02-27-2012, 04:55 PM
This is stupid.

:ditto:
Ha! This was my thoughts exactly!!!!!

Kenny1113
02-27-2012, 05:00 PM

I know this is :offtopic: but how is this supposed to work??? :confused::mad:

Jared
02-27-2012, 05:12 PM
I know this is :offtopic: but how is this supposed to work??? :confused::mad:
There is another thread going in the forum about this, but I imagine it will work similarly to how the World of Color Fastpass system works at Disney California Adventure.

DizneyFreak2002
02-27-2012, 05:28 PM
Not to question your cast friend, but I'm almost positive this rumor originated as a little joke in a Jim Hill column -- or a story elsewhere on the Internet. I bet if you traced the origin of the rumor, it would eventually lead back there.

This wouldn't be the first time that Cast Members started passing around online rumors as fact. If one credible person says it's true, then suddenly everyone in Central Florida starts saying it and then suddenly you have an avalanche.

Just throwing it out there.

Two nights ago she told... She works in Food and Beverage... I don't recall his article date... But there is actually more to this than you think... Now, as we all know, it isn't etched in stone...

DizneyFreak2002
02-27-2012, 05:30 PM
Won't it get cold?

Suckering guests out of money???

If this is true and is implemented, this wind up being more stress in planning what is supposed to be a stress free vacation....

DizneyFreak2002
02-27-2012, 05:33 PM
Not to be too blunt about it, but this is stupid and 99% likely to be completely fake.

FIrst off, Disney would never want to be committed to having a certain menu item available 180 days in advance. Their menus are constantly changing, so why in the world would they put themselves in a situation where they'd be forced to contact people on a daily basis telling them that the entree they selected for their trip in nine weeks is no longer available and please make another selection only to then have to email them six weeks later and tell them that their new selection is no longer available, etc. etc. etc.

Some rumors you can maybe see happening, but this is just dumb and totally unbelieveable. There's no upside in it for Disney or the guests. It's patently absurd.

That is all. ;)

Or the 180 day time frame isn't true, but the pre-ordering your meal could be... You can order your food a day, week, maybe hour or two in advance of dining... Kind of like a FastPass for the Quick Service/Counter Service restaurants... Order at 11:00AM for a 2:00PM lunch at Columbia Harbor House... Walk in, pick up, dine.. No waiting on lines to order with a CM...

It really isn't as far fetched as one might think...

Jared
02-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Or the 180 day time frame isn't true, but the pre-ordering your meal could be... You can order your food a day, week, maybe hour or two in advance of dining... Kind of like a FastPass for the Quick Service/Counter Service restaurants... Order at 11:00AM for a 2:00PM lunch at Columbia Harbor House... Walk in, pick up, dine.. No waiting on lines to order with a CM...

It really isn't as far fetched as one might think...
That's a very different concept than ordering food months in advance. This is more akin to ordering pizza an hour before it gets delivered.

dpamac
02-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Sadly I could totally see some PNG sitting in a meeting saying, "Hey guys! I have a brilliant idea on how to increase turnover at our table service restaurant!"

wildernesslady
02-27-2012, 08:09 PM
This is stupid.

Ditto!!!!

Kairi_7378
02-27-2012, 08:15 PM
This is a :goofy2: idea, at least for my family's style of vacation. With no offense to Goofy. We rarely plan a trip more than 180 days out!

But... how many people on these boards decide months out what they are going to eat at each restaurant? For these people, this might be a good option. Especially if it isn't mandatory.

retiredfigment
02-27-2012, 08:15 PM
Will they hold me to my order? WAY TOO MUCH PLANNING!!! What ever happened to being spontaneous.

Disney Hungarian
02-27-2012, 08:54 PM
This is too funny. I just gave up making ADR's and I guess I will just have to quit this before it starts... My idea of planning now... I go out to the bus stop and pick the emptiest bus to take me to a park.

Patricia
02-27-2012, 08:54 PM
This is stupid.

Agreed.

The last time we were in WDW we didn't even bother to eat our sit down meals in the parks because I never know where I'm going to be 180 days in advance and getting a walk up has gone out the window with the dining plan.

If I can't decide where I'll even be, I'm pretty sure I won't know what I want to eat. :blush:

Thank goodness for some of the better counter service restaurants. I can still enjoy the parks spontaneously and not go hungry.

Jared
02-28-2012, 12:05 AM
To clarify some things, this would only be counter service, not table service.. Basically quick serve... And the 180 day out, no... Much more closer to your vacation, more than likely the day of, not 180 days out... So, for example, if you are at Epcot and feel like Electric Umbrella, you can order your food via your smart phone, set up a time, and arrive at that time, pick up your food, and sit down and eat without having to wait to place your order with the cashier, pay, then wait for your food... Made the call to clarify what my friend told me...

Jared, I assure you, this isn't a Jim Hill joke... this is seriously being looked at... Whether it is implemented or not is another thing...
I don't necessarily think the system you're describing sounds that awful. If I'm line at Soarin' and know that when I get off the ride, I will want to grab lunch at Sunshine Seasons, I see no reason why I couldn't put my order in a half-hour in advance. Not saying I'd use that option all the time, but I can envision a scenario where it would be worthwhile.

I imagine Disney would set up a dedicated pick-up lane for this service to keep the flow going.

DizneyFreak2002
02-28-2012, 12:26 AM
I don't necessarily think the system you're describing sounds that awful. If I'm line at Soarin' and know that when I get off the ride, I will want to grab lunch at Sunshine Seasons, I see no reason why I couldn't put my order in a half-hour in advance. Not saying I'd use that option all the time, but I can envision a scenario where it would be worthwhile.

I imagine Disney would set up a dedicated pick-up lane for this service to keep the flow going.

Nope, doesn't sound awful at all... The 180 day thing threw me off... Glad I was able to clarify... I'd use this feature if it is something that gets implemented down the road... No problems with this what so ever.. :)

Aurora
02-28-2012, 02:15 AM
I heard a rumor that as part of NextGen you'll be able to text your order via your smartphone and Disney will beam your meal right to your phone! :party:

BrerGnat
02-28-2012, 08:56 AM
Well, I do this at home all the time. I order pizza (delivery) and Chipotle (to go) from an app on my ipod touch. Sometimes, I even do it *gasp* a day in advance!

Honestly, if it's just limited to CS locations, and limited to 24 hours advanced ordering MAXIMUM, I think it's a great idea. I'd use it. I HATE waiting in CS lines. I just hope that along with this comes a section of tables reserved for those orders. :thumbsup:

This sort of implementation does not take away anything from the vacation aspect of it other than the headache of waiting in long lines at CS locations behind people who spend a decade hemming and hawing over what to order.

Imagine waiting in an attraction line and knowing you want to eat lunch next, and being able to place your order from the line, and having it be ready for you when you arrive 15 min later. That would be awesome! :thumbsup:

I'm all for it.

kcrc
02-28-2012, 10:18 AM
If true, vacations are really getting out of control. Aren't they?
Is everyone so rushed that they cannot wait in line behind a few folks to order their food? I suppose if you have little children it may make it easier. But otherwise, I think a little human interaction with the person submitting your order is a good thing.
I see the pre-ordering ending up with lots of mistakes (by the order-er, not the folks preparing the meals) and/or cold food (if you are not there at just the right time). And *gasp*, what about the folks that don't have an i-phone or similar device?

I think I'll stick to the "original" way and just patiently wait my turn. Call me old-fashioned!

DizneyFreak2002
02-28-2012, 11:32 AM
If true, vacations are really getting out of control. Aren't they?
Is everyone so rushed that they cannot wait in line behind a few folks to order their food? I suppose if you have little children it may make it easier. But otherwise, I think a little human interaction with the person submitting your order is a good thing.
I see the pre-ordering ending up with lots of mistakes (by the order-er, not the folks preparing the meals) and/or cold food (if you are not there at just the right time). And *gasp*, what about the folks that don't have an i-phone or similar device?

I think I'll stick to the "original" way and just patiently wait my turn. Call me old-fashioned!

Well, in one word, yes... people want instant gratification today... Gone are the days when people would wait patiently for their food or 90 minutes in a standby line or 45 minutes on Universe of Energy... attention spans have shortened to 1 minute today... It is all about NOW NOW NOW...

With that said, this is to condition the guests to spend even more money, make no mistake... This is so people spend less time online ANYWHERE and more time in stores (where the real money for the theme parks are made)... Is this a neat idea, Yea... I'd use it to order counter service and not wait... But Disney isn't too concerned with making things easier for the guest... They are more concerned with making guests wait times shorter so more time and money is spent buying merchandise, which is an area Disney is really taking a beating in since their merchandise became garbage and Wizarding World opened...

sonamae80
02-28-2012, 12:15 PM
Speaking as a parent of kids who have NO patience, I would totally use it!! To be able to put in our order before we get on IASM (for the umpteenth time!), and then go directly to pick it up after we're done and not have to wait (hopefully), would be a God send! ;)

Question: Would they link your KTTW card to your smart phone that way you could pay for the meal too??

SBETigg
02-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Actually, this would work well for a lot of people, with the quick service preorder, not as I initially thought you meant ordering at TS restaurants 180 days out. That would be crazy. But preordering quick service not too far out from when you expect to pick it up makes sense. I like the idea.

disneynarula
02-28-2012, 01:53 PM
I would use it if it was for half and hour or so before we were going to eat but not if it costs more. Will the guarantee a place to sit too?

Next thing you know you are going to have to schedule the bathroom breaks on x pass!

I am going to need stall number 2 near the bathroom that is near the exit to Splash Mountain between 12:00 and 12:15.

DizneyFreak2002
02-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Speaking as a parent of kids who have NO patience, I would totally use it!! To be able to put in our order before we get on IASM (for the umpteenth time!), and then go directly to pick it up after we're done and not have to wait (hopefully), would be a God send! ;)

Question: Would they link your KTTW card to your smart phone that way you could pay for the meal too??

I would want to assume that it would be tied to RFID somehow, which would more than likely be on your KTTW card...

DizneyFreak2002
02-28-2012, 02:32 PM
Actually, this would work well for a lot of people, with the quick service preorder, not as I initially thought you meant ordering at TS restaurants 180 days out. That would be crazy. But preordering quick service not too far out from when you expect to pick it up makes sense. I like the idea.

It is a system that would work well for 99% of the park guests... I figured the 180 day out thing was nuts, that's why I clarified with my friend... And yes, it makes much more sense to order the food the same day, even the day before... But 180 days was insane LOL...

darthmacho
02-28-2012, 02:56 PM
Good news!

I just made my August ABRs! (Advanced Bathroom Reservations.)

I better go start working on getting regular... :stir:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
02-28-2012, 04:11 PM
I'm probably the 1% this would never work for even with CS. I will have a small inkling of where I want to eat CS, and an even smaller one of WHAT I want to eat before I head to the parks for the day. I sometimes will change my mind while STILL IN LINE before ordering my food.

But, I take waiting in line as part of the experience - so do my children.

Jared
02-28-2012, 04:44 PM
I'm probably the 1% this would never work for even with CS. I will have a small inkling of where I want to eat CS, and an even smaller one of WHAT I want to eat before I head to the parks for the day. I sometimes will change my mind while STILL IN LINE before ordering my food.

And that's absolutely understandable. I'm sure plenty of people will agree. This sounds like a system, if implemented, that will have no effect on people who choose not to utilize it.

DizneyFreak2002
02-28-2012, 07:29 PM

That works for you and you'll still be able to wait on lines (unless Disney figures out they can make even more money by cutting out the poor CM who is only taking your order, thus not having to pay a ton of employees)... I have waited on lines, and while it doesn't bother me, I'd still use the pre-order system if it ever does go live because it could wind up being very convenient....

sixshot19
02-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Ok I just booked my ADR for May 23 at 1106 AM. 5 Dole Whips. One with 3 napkins. One with 2 napkins. One with 6 napkins (my oldest DS is messy). One with a long handle spoon (my DW is silly that way, but I love her). And mine no napkins straight up (I live dangerously).

What do you guys think, am I missing anything. I could ruin my whole vacation if I can't get this right. Our xpass for swiss family treehouse expires at 1109 AM..........h...e...l...p

JPL
02-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Find it funny how I mention that I could see it working with CS but not TS and presto the Rumor changes ;)

Polynesian Dweller
02-29-2012, 01:50 PM
It doesn't matter which rumor, TS or CS, neither work well. For TS, managing changes in menu would be a nightmare. And with cancellations common, it wouldn't help much in planning for food quantities. Just no upside really.

For CS it's worse. CS places are more assembly lines than restaurants and assemble on a first come first serve basis. A significant number of people would be late arriving. So then the CS place would need a place to store the assembled meal under heat lamps to keep them warm. It's easier and meals warmer simply by assembling them in a first come first served basis.

And at the rate they are assembled there would be no time saving for the customer. You'd still stand in a line waiting for your order with all the others who preordered.

MrPeetrie
02-29-2012, 02:05 PM
Good news!

This is the best post I've read in months!!!!!

waymickey
02-29-2012, 05:15 PM
Good news!

I better go start working on getting regular... :stir:

:rotfl:

Janmac
02-29-2012, 08:27 PM
I am going to need stall number 2 near the bathroom that is near the exit to Splash Mountain between 12:00 and 12:15.

Yabbut, this would totally work so well for my sister's granddaughter whose alarm/notification system is seriously out of whack. Who among us has been blythely touring a park when out of nowhere the kid with you starts sounding like an air raid siren because she SUDDENLY needs to GO!!!!!! :jaw:

. . . and the line at the bathroom is longer than the one for TSM.

We pretty much don't pass up a bathroom. :(

Back on topic: this same kid doesn't know she's hungry until she's doing jelly fish impressions all over the place 'cause she's so out of fuel. Pre-ordering would be such a blessing. As long as one can do so with something other than an iphone or smart phone. I mean if you can do Facebook, GPS, e-mail, etc, could you pre-order your food?

Jan

CuteAsMinnie
02-29-2012, 11:15 PM
This had got to be one of the most idiotic ideas I've ever heard! Seriously.:mad:

CuteAsMinnie
02-29-2012, 11:24 PM
Ok I just booked my ADR for May 23 at 1106 AM. 5 Dole Whips. One with 3 napkins. One with 2 napkins. One with 6 napkins (my oldest DS is messy). One with a long handle spoon (my DW is silly that way, but I love her). And mine no napkins straight up (I live dangerously).

What do you guys think, am I missing anything. I could ruin my whole vacation if I can't get this right. Our xpass for swiss family treehouse expires at 1109 AM..........h...e...l...p

LOL. You're probably not too far off!:number1:

floridamom
03-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Sorry I did not read all the previous posts, but in case it hasn't been mentioned, Tampa has a waterpark that allows you to preorder a quick service "picnic lunch for 3-4" about 2 days in advance that can just be picked up at a certain time.

I would have done it, but planned the trip last-minute so it was too late. Now there aren't nearly the number of places to eat there as WDW, but I could see it working if maybe one eatery per park offered something like this. It would just be an additional dining option, might provide a quicker way of getting food at peak times, and would have little negative effect on those who chose not to participate. (The regular lines may even get a bit shorter.)

Joannelet
03-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Won't it get cold?

Lol true what and how is this beneficial to them? I would never do this. And I can tell you now it isn't going to happen. God forbid a child or an adult has a food allergy and somehow between a phone order etc something is interpreted wrong a huge lawsuit would be waiting! I probably wouldn't order if a member has a food allergy..(my son has a gluten allergy) but still there are some that might.

Disney Doll
03-04-2012, 11:00 AM
180 days, no way and I would be stunned if Disney even offered that as an option. Way too many problems. However, I would probably use a system that allowed me to order meals a few hours in advance. I do that at home anytime we get takeout. With kids anything to cut down on the waiting is worth a shot.

MrPeetrie
03-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Remember when going to a park didn't take so much work prior to going to the park!?

joonyer
03-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Remember when going to a park didn't take so much work prior to going to the park!?

Yep, And I also remember wait times for all popular attractions being at least 60-90 minutes and no fast passes. For that matter, I can remember having to pay for each attraction (ticket books), but admission to the MK was free! Geez, now I'm feeling old.

Mrs Bus Driver
03-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Have not read all the posts in this thread but just had to jump in. I think many are missing the point here. Disney isn't saying order all your food 180 days out. This will simply be an added convenience when you are at the Parks. Think of it this way. Coming up on my favorite counter service and I see a long line, instead of walking away in hopes of finding a shorter line (and wasting time) I use my phone to order my food. I then receive a return time of say 30 minutes. Now I can go find a table or browse the nearby shops until its ready. Since I can pay using my phone I only need to pick up my food. I would certainly use this if offered. Also how difficult would it be to offer the same specials online as on the menu? If you don't want to use it OK, you remind of the people grumbling about fasspasses because they don't know everyone can use them.:beat:

dizneydeb22
03-14-2012, 03:49 PM
Have not read all the posts in this thread but just had to jump in. I think many are missing the point here. Disney isn't saying order all your food 180 days out. This will simply be an added convenience when you are at the Parks. Think of it this way. Coming up on my favorite counter service and I see a long line, instead of walking away in hopes of finding a shorter line (and wasting time) I use my phone to order my food. I then receive a return time of say 30 minutes. Now I can go find a table or browse the nearby shops until its ready. Since I can pay using my phone I only need to pick up my food. I would certainly use this if offered. Also how difficult would it be to offer the same specials online as on the menu? If you don't want to use it OK, you remind of the people grumbling about fasspasses because they don't know everyone can use them.:beat:

:ditto::thanks::exactly:

DizneyFreak2002
03-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Received another confirmation regarding this... Disney IS seriously looking into this, that is fact... You'd order your quick service meal via smartphone... Your order is tied into your RFID tag, which will be in the form of your KTTW door key or the new RFID bracelet... This isn't happening overnight... This is part of the NextGen program which is all scheduled to be implemented over the course of the next several years...

Don't shoot the messenger...

Ian
03-26-2012, 08:33 PM
This is a part of NextGen I might actually use. I really like the idea of saying, "Hey kids are getting hungry ... let's order from Cosmic Ray's now and it will be ready when we get there!"

DizneyFreak2002
03-26-2012, 09:33 PM
This is a part of NextGen I might actually use. I really like the idea of saying, "Hey kids are getting hungry ... let's order from Cosmic Ray's now and it will be ready when we get there!"

Which is exactly what Disney wants you to do... Order your lunch from, say, the queue of Peter Pan... Head to Cosmic Ray's at your pick up time, grab your food without having to wait on line to order it, sit down, eat, leave and buy merchandise!!! Instead of a 40 minute lunch experience, pre-ordering on an app on your smartphone could make your lunch 20 minutes... It is all about cutting the amount of time you spend in line to a minimal as possible... And what does Disney hope you do with that extra time??? But a $5.00 tee shirt for $40.00 :)

Ian
03-26-2012, 10:31 PM
And what does Disney hope you do with that extra time??? But a $5.00 tee shirt for $40.00 :)I'd be more than happy to fork over some of my hard earned cash to them for merch if they actually had any merch that I wanted.

Shirts are okay these days (and functional, so not a total waste of cash), but the rest of the junk they peddle is just :ack:.

It makes me laugh, because they're just so focused on this idea that people who aren't in lines can't spend any money and I think it's just total hogwash. A fantasy conjured up by overpaid execs with piles of cash burning holes in their pockets. I'd be willing to bet that 80%+ of guests who come to Disney have a fixed budget and no matter how long they do or don't wait in line they ain't spending any more dough.

DizneyFreak2002
03-27-2012, 12:35 AM
I'd be more than happy to fork over some of my hard earned cash to them for merch if they actually had any merch that I wanted.

Shirts are okay these days (and functional, so not a total waste of cash), but the rest of the junk they peddle is just :ack:.

It makes me laugh, because they're just so focused on this idea that people who aren't in lines can't spend any money and I think it's just total hogwash. A fantasy conjured up by overpaid execs with piles of cash burning holes in their pockets. I'd be willing to bet that 80%+ of guests who come to Disney have a fixed budget and no matter how long they do or don't wait in line they ain't spending any more dough.

Let's correct that to overpaid, CLUELESS execs and MBAs... Last year was the first time I came with NO Disney merchandise.... NOTHING... I don't think their merchandise is anything worth spending my money on... Nothing attracts me... Nothing...

Agh, I dunno... The more I think about this NextGen stuff, the more I feel I need to really hear more about it... I don't think it is needed, but some parts of it may be very customer friendly... Time will tell...

DizneyRox
03-27-2012, 06:55 AM
Last year was the first time I came with NO Disney merchandise.... NOTHING... I don't think their merchandise is anything worth spending my money on... Nothing attracts me... Nothing...

Been that way for me for about 10 years... Maybe not NOTHING, but significantly less than I used to. I'd spend thousands at the The Gourmet Pantry, or Disney @ Home, but now the only time we spend at DTD is maybe a meal and the obligatory non park day (which I think it's time to weed out of the planning).

There's not much to spend my money on, not standing in line for food won't put me in a fit shop.

Now that I think about it, couple the lack of merchandise and more attractions per day, I might be able to find a day or two to head over to Universal.

How do you like them apples?

I agree with Ian too... Just reading these boards, it sounds like there's a lot less disposable cash in people's pockets. Try as they might, you can't squeeze blood from a stone. Keep raising those prices and they will just stop coming period.

disneynarula
03-27-2012, 07:55 AM
We don't buy a lot either. We only go every three years now and we will usually let the kids spend about $20 each. I buy a Christmas ornament and a magnet.

I think ordering ahead of time is a great idea. It works well for us because we can spend less time in line. I am sure it works better for Disney too because they can turn over more tables quicker. Last time we went during free dining (never again!) it was a madhouse trying to get lunch.

DizneyFreak2002
03-27-2012, 11:08 AM
Been that way for me for about 10 years... Maybe not NOTHING, but significantly less than I used to. I'd spend thousands at the The Gourmet Pantry, or Disney @ Home, but now the only time we spend at DTD is maybe a meal and the obligatory non park day (which I think it's time to weed out of the planning).

There's not much to spend my money on, not standing in line for food won't put me in a fit shop.

Now that I think about it, couple the lack of merchandise and more attractions per day, I might be able to find a day or two to head over to Universal.

How do you like them apples?

I agree with Ian too... Just reading these boards, it sounds like there's a lot less disposable cash in people's pockets. Try as they might, you can't squeeze blood from a stone. Keep raising those prices and they will just stop coming period.

There may be less disposable cash in peoples' pockets, but then again, explain why people are dropping $300 to $500 bucks on Potter merchandise??? Potter is where the disposable cash is going... And before someone says merchandise sales in Disney are up, profits may be up, but sales are down... How you say??? HIGHER PRICES... That is Disney's answer... Not better merchandise... Not more specific merchandise... Nope.. raise prices is their answer.... Things are too generic now-a-days... Merchandise is a disappointment...

Ian
03-27-2012, 02:30 PM
Just reading these boards, it sounds like there's a lot less disposable cash in people's pockets. Try as they might, you can't squeeze blood from a stone. Keep raising those prices and they will just stop coming period.I may be wrong, but I think the average vacationer sets a budget for their trip and has to stay with maybe +/- 5% of that. It's just reality. People are no longer going to go to Disney planning on spendingn $5,000 and spur of the moment throw an extra $2,500 on their Visa. It's just not there. You spend what you have.

And before someone says merchandise sales in Disney are up, profits may be up, but sales are down... How you say??? HIGHER PRICES... That is Disney's answer... Not better merchandise... Not more specific merchandise... Nope.. raise prices is their answer.... Things are too generic now-a-days... Merchandise is a disappointment...Right, don't confuse gross sales with profit margin. If you sell a million widgets at a .50 cent margin per unit you make half a million bucks in profit. If you sell 750,000 widgets at $1.00 margin per unit you make three-quarters of a million bucks.

Just because profit is up doesn't mean you sold more merchandise.

ChipNDale79
03-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Let's correct that to overpaid, CLUELESS execs and MBAs... Last year was the first time I came with NO Disney merchandise.... NOTHING... I don't think their merchandise is anything worth spending my money on... Nothing attracts me... Nothing...

This is the way I feel, I can't tell you how many times we walk into a store at Disney and I want to spend some money that I budgeted for souvenirs, but just because i budgeted for it; doeesnt mean I'm going to spend it. There's hardly anything in those stores that i'll spend my money on. It's all junk.

The Disney Stores are far worse, we have two here in Charlotte. The one near our house we go into every time we go to the mall, I keep thinking i'll find something i want to buy, but 9 times out of 10 i'll walk out empty handed because all they have is junk. The other store is an outlet, they've got a bunch of cool Disneyland tshirts and stuff, but because we are on the east coast, Disney World is where we have been, and I would bet most of people that have been to a Disney Park in our area. I'm not going to buy a T-Shirt to place I havent been to, so why dont they have Disney World T-Shirts in the outlet stores on the East Coast? I'd buy those.

DizneyFreak2002
03-29-2012, 12:02 AM
This is the way I feel, I can't tell you how many times we walk into a store at Disney and I want to spend some money that I budgeted for souvenirs, but just because i budgeted for it; doeesnt mean I'm going to spend it. There's hardly anything in those stores that i'll spend my money on. It's all junk.

The Disney Stores are far worse, we have two here in Charlotte. The one near our house we go into every time we go to the mall, I keep thinking i'll find something i want to buy, but 9 times out of 10 i'll walk out empty handed because all they have is junk. The other store is an outlet, they've got a bunch of cool Disneyland tshirts and stuff, but because we are on the east coast, Disney World is where we have been, and I would bet most of people that have been to a Disney Park in our area. I'm not going to buy a T-Shirt to place I havent been to, so why dont they have Disney World T-Shirts in the outlet stores on the East Coast? I'd buy those.

Makes you feel sad, doesn't it??? I remember when I used to make it a habit of taking my lunch breaks walking through the Disney Store at my local mall... I remember the Disney Store always had to be a stop when I was at any other mall doing some shopping... Now??? I just walk on by... it is a shame really... I always enjoyed my DS visits...

Epcyclopedia
03-29-2012, 06:18 AM
Problem is though - and really, for both us and Disney it's a problem - is that there's this group of die-hard Disney-can-do-no-wrong people that goes in and throws money at them for this generic merch.

Look at the One More Disney Day event and merch. Aside from the park being open, it was a fully underwhelming and uninspired event - the shirts and watches and everything offered weren't even attractive. People threw money at them for it.

That does not encourage Disney to put time money or effort into quality items. Quality will NOT out when people continue to behave like that.

TinkerbellT421
03-29-2012, 08:40 AM
As far as the ordering CS while you are in line somewhere? I like the idea! DBF might even like the idea because I get pretty cranky when I am hungry....lol If it avoids me doing pout face while standing in line to get food and getting cranky DBF will be all for it! lol But doesn't seem like a terrible idea.

BrerGnat
03-29-2012, 09:08 AM
Problem is though - and really, for both us and Disney it's a problem - is that there's this group of die-hard Disney-can-do-no-wrong people that goes in and throws money at them for this generic merch.

I agree with this somewhat, but I really think it's the total opposite. The "newbies" are the ones who are buying up the majority of the junk, I would guess. People who don't "know better", for lack of a better descriptor. Those who are on their "once in a lifetime" trip are the ones spending hundreds on junk merchandise. I think the die hards are a bit more discriminating than that.

I'd be willing to bet that a lot of that "limited edition" special day merchandise ended up on Ebay. People don't really want it to keep it; they want it to sell for profit.

Do a search on Ebay for "one more Disney day". Ear hats for $150+???? Gimme a break. :rolleyes:

Epcyclopedia
03-29-2012, 09:22 AM
Wait, people are buying the One More Disney Day Ear Hats for $150 on eBay?

I totally don't need that sticker-laden hunk of junk more than I need $150!!!

*runs to eBay*

Jared
03-29-2012, 09:48 AM

Look at the One More Disney Day event and merch. Aside from the park being open, it was a fully underwhelming and uninspired event - the shirts and watches and everything offered weren't even attractive. People threw money at them for it.

That does not encourage Disney to put time money or effort into quality items. Quality will NOT out when people continue to behave like that.
First of all, I adore your site. Thanks for doing what you do. It's nice to see you here.

But I'm not sure I totally agree with this -- I think the fans are getting a bit wiser about this stuff. I suspect newbies are more likely to buy that generic junk. Seasoned veterans have figured out that it's all a big waste.

Epcyclopedia
03-29-2012, 10:14 AM
I typed a really long winded thing that rambled and then realized I had no idea what my point was...

So.. I'll say this..

Who are the seasoned veterans? Like what are the requirements?

Because I think maybe what you or a lot of people might call "veterans" I might call average guests in this situation, at least by their buying habits.

I saw people talking up a storm about their love of theme parks and attractions and history and Walt and whatever going and also talking about pin trading and vinylmation and Duffy and string-things and generic princess t-shirts.. etc...

I'm kind of at a point of being old grizzled and jaded that puts most people who have worked for the company their entire lives to shame.

I do not buy any of that generic merch and Disney practically has to pry money from my cold dead hands for anything. I've met very very few people like myself over the years in the fandom. Most are willing to practically throw money at the mouse.

I kid you not, I occasionally get to go to these special events that are either limited capacity for whatever reason by special sign-up and while everyone else is jamming themselves into the merch line I'm the one trying to do the historical tour or attraction offering first all by myself. Every single time.

So if these other "veterans" that don't throw money at Disney exist, I'd love to meet them.

John
03-29-2012, 10:28 AM
So if these other "veterans" that don't throw money at Disney exist, I'd love to meet them.

I have a feeling you'd have a lot of fun hanging with Gary, Ian and I - I all of us could have written your post.

Jared
03-29-2012, 11:17 AM
I typed a really long winded thing that rambled and then realized I had no idea what my point was...

So.. I'll say this..

Because I think maybe what you or a lot of people might call "veterans" I might call average guests in this situation, at least by their buying habits.

I saw people talking up a storm about their love of theme parks and attractions and history and Walt and whatever going and also talking about pin trading and vinylmation and Duffy and string-things and generic princess t-shirts.. etc...

I'm kind of at a point of being old grizzled and jaded that puts most people who have worked for the company their entire lives to shame.

I do not buy any of that generic merch and Disney practically has to pry money from my cold dead hands for anything. I've met very very few people like myself over the years in the fandom. Most are willing to practically throw money at the mouse.

I kid you not, I occasionally get to go to these special events that are either limited capacity for whatever reason by special sign-up and while everyone else is jamming themselves into the merch line I'm the one trying to do the historical tour or attraction offering first all by myself. Every single time.

Quoted for awesomeness. Upon further review, I definitely see your point. While I still believe that newbies make up a large portion of merchandise sales, but there's no doubt that there are plenty of mentally ill fans out there who can't help but give money to the Mouse.

And I can't remember the last time I purchased anything at a Disney park besides food. (Does my ticket and Tables in Wonderland membership count as giving Disney money?)

Does this mean we can be friends?

DizneyFreak2002
03-29-2012, 11:23 AM
R.A., I don't know if I'd be considered a "veteran" or not, I've been going to WDW yearly (except for 2010) since 2000, and I am now a DVC owner... I can tell you my last few trips, I haven't just thrown money at Disney... I downright refuse to buy their generic garbage tee shirts, or poorly stitched hats, or whatever... In fact, last thing I bought at WDW was back in 2008, and that was a CD... OK, I'll give them money for food, but I think that is different than merchandise...

We have really gone off topic LOL...

Disney Hungarian
03-29-2012, 08:06 PM
Hi, my name is Sean. Nice to meet you.
In my last 5 trips I managed to buy 2 baseball caps at WDW. Only because I managed to leave the house without bringing one. I have not bought a Disney souvenir in many years now. I just have not found anything at the parks that I would want at home. I have honestly had more stuff given to me by Disney than I have ever bought.

Ian
03-29-2012, 08:17 PM
I have a feeling you'd have a lot of fun hanging with Gary, Ian and I - I all of us could have written your post.Correct. I agree completely with what he says.

When we're talking about grizzled veterans we're talking about the ones who are ... well ... grizzled. Jaded. Grew up on the real Disney and know what it's supposed to be but isn't.

But there's another group out there for whom Disney can do no wrong. Disney's asking you to shell out $29 for plastic junk made in China? You should just be glad Disney even lets you in the park! You should be thrilled they give you the opportunity to buy that $29 worth of garbage! They could charge $100 for it! I can't believe you're not writing them a letter of thanks for merely existing!

Trust me ... they're out there and there are a lot of them. There are tons of Disney fan sites out there where if you even dare to criticize the Mouse you're shouted down, called "negative" and likely banned from the site.

And yes, they will gladly shell out the money for anything that has Disney stamped on it, no matter how lousy and pointless it is. Combine them with the newbies who buy the stuff because they don't know any better and you can pretty well see what the issue is.

DizneyFreak2002
03-29-2012, 10:43 PM
Correct. I agree completely with what he says.

When we're talking about grizzled veterans we're talking about the ones who are ... well ... grizzled. Jaded. Grew up on the real Disney and know what it's supposed to be but isn't.

But there's another group out there for whom Disney can do no wrong. Disney's asking you to shell out $29 for plastic junk made in China? You should just be glad Disney even lets you in the park! You should be thrilled they give you the opportunity to buy that $29 worth of garbage! They could charge $100 for it! I can't believe you're not writing them a letter of thanks for merely existing!

Trust me ... they're out there and there are a lot of them. There are tons of Disney fan sites out there where if you even dare to criticize the Mouse you're shouted down, called "negative" and likely banned from the site.

And yes, they will gladly shell out the money for anything that has Disney stamped on it, no matter how lousy and pointless it is. Combine them with the newbies who buy the stuff because they don't know any better and you can pretty well see what the issue is.

Ohh Ian... I bow to you sir... Those people, they are Disney lifestlyers... They need to live the Disney lifestyle... I'd name names but I won't... But, they are out there, and their minions are always ready to attack...

As for those other sites, I can attest to that via personal experience... I rather hold my opinion of those webmasters to myself... I'd love to go spam their sites one day though... :) I detest them...

Ohhh and I call those people you describe above, the Pixie Dust Brigade...

Ian
03-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Ohhh and I call those people you describe above, the Pixie Dust Brigade...Heh ... me too! :thedolls:

DizneyFreak2002
03-30-2012, 07:16 PM
Heh ... me too! :thedolls:

Look for the shirts on CafePress... :cool:

CuteAsMinnie
03-30-2012, 10:37 PM

So.. I'll say this..

I saw people talking up a storm about their love of theme parks and attractions and history and
Walt and whatever going and also talking about pin trading and vinylmation and Duffy
and string-things and generic princess t-shirts.. etc...

Well said.
Nice to meet you, Mr. Encyclopedia
:)

CuteAsMinnie
03-30-2012, 10:59 PM
It is a system that would work well for 99% of the park guests... I figured the 180 day out thing was nuts, that's why I clarified with my friend... And yes, it makes much more sense to order the food the same day, even the day before... But 180 days was insane LOL...

This is still the dumbest idea I've ever heard. And, imho, would not work well for 90% of park guests. All the instant gratification needed adults and children who have not learned, or wait, I'm sorry..been taught patience will then be a tad bit not instantly gratified because their pre ordered food is now cold because they just couldnt get to the CS at said time because they were too busy still trying to abuse the finally being enforced FP system. Lord help us if these people account for 99% of park guests.

TheVBs
03-31-2012, 08:17 AM
We would definitely be willing to give the CS pre-order a try! It would be appealing to us to just walk in, pick up our food and eat. The ordering seems to take the longest.

And, regarding the merchandise, LOL! Sheesh, you guys are grim. However, I have to admit that the last time we were in WDW I had souvenir money ready to spend and came home with one hat. I really wanted to come home with a couple of t-shirts. I found a couple that I liked, didn't love, but liked. However, the price tags were way out of proportion to how much I liked them. Really wanted a baseball cap too, and I did come home with one, but it took a whole lot of searching to find one I liked, which really surprised me.

The girls have no problem spending their souvenir money, and ours too if they can talk us into it. We try to steer them towards things they'll enjoy for awhile, not just for that day.

For whatever it's worth, I would not call us seasoned veterans. We go every couple of years, for the past 10 years or so and a few times in our lives before that. I realize that to a lot of people that makes us veterans, but not really compared to most of the people on this board.

Mousemates
03-31-2012, 10:46 AM

:tiphat: Nice to meet you. We go often but likely spend far less money per trip than the average guest. Souvenirs are seldom ( we used to collect resort specific items, but all that pretty much disappeared) purchased anymore, unless I forget a hat or we find something on clearance.

We do still spend quite a bit on dinner in the parks, but try to make up for that by doing breakfast in the room each morning with cereal, bars etc.

Rooms are generally at deeply discounted promotional (often bounceback) rates...and the tickets we use now are long ago purchased ten day no expiration park hoppers. Infact our typhoon lagoon trip tickets we used in March were leftovers we originally purchased in 2008 for a very low per day average cost.

We also tend to only be in the park for 3 out of five days...choosing to spend a couple of days at the resorts, lounging by the pool, bussing over to the AKL to watch animals, or enjoy an evening by watching fireworks from a resort beach and soaking in the ambience of the GF orchestra... and perhaps eating our big meal at some of the nice and more reasonably priced restaurants off property.

We love Disney, but also clearly understand that Disney is a machine designed to deftly separate us from our money. We go and enjoy, but (as I said above) do likely spend FAR less per trip than the average guest.

Ian
03-31-2012, 11:10 AM
I found a couple that I liked, didn't love, but liked. However, the price tags were way out of proportion to how much I liked them.That's pretty much how it always works for me. "Gee, I kinda like this t-shirt, but I don't like it $34.99 worth."

Also, I know John claims this material they make them out of is trendy and what everyone wants, but to me the shirts feel really cheap and man do they shrink up. I can wear XL shirts in just about every brand there is, but if I buy a Disney XL t-shirt, wash it once, and try to wear it again I look like a stuffed sausage!

DizneyFreak2002
03-31-2012, 11:23 AM
This is still the dumbest idea I've ever heard. And, imho, would not work well for 90% of park guests. All the instant gratification needed adults and children who have not learned, or wait, I'm sorry..been taught patience will then be a tad bit not instantly gratified because their pre ordered food is now cold because they just couldnt get to the CS at said time because they were too busy still trying to abuse the finally being enforced FP system. Lord help us if these people account for 99% of park guests.

Here is an idea.... if you cannot make a 2:00 seating, then don't book for 2:00... Simple...

And maybe you missed how this would work, if implemented... You can stand on line at HM, decided, GEEE I WANT COSMIC RAYS FOR LUNCH, LET'S EAT AT 2:00.. It is now 12:00, you ca pre-order your food at 12:00... You then go to Cosmic Rays at 2, and your RFID tag lets them know you are there... Your food is heated, presented to you, no waiting... I see no problem with it, and yes, would work very well for 99% of guests...

It is just a fact of life people don't like waiting whether it is 90 minutes for Peter Pan (this is why FastPass is so popular) or in traffic or online waiting to order food... Does Disney has an alternate motive for this?? Yea... it is to get you in and out of the food area as quickly as possible with hopes you would then spend even more time in shops spending even more money... But that doesn't mean it isn't a good service to provide to guests... (BTW, this is a very brief detailing of how it would work if implemented)...

DizneyFreak2002
03-31-2012, 11:27 AM
That's pretty much how it always works for me. "Gee, I kinda like this t-shirt, but I don't like it $34.99 worth."

Also, I know John claims this material they make them out of is trendy and what everyone wants, but to me the shirts feel really cheap and man do they shrink up. I can wear XL shirts in just about every brand there is, but if I buy a Disney XL t-shirt, wash it once, and try to wear it again I look like a stuffed sausage!

The shirt quality is horrible... I have even hated the designs lately, though they sort of improved, very little, over the last 2 years... A friend of mine visited WDW in December 2011, and her major gripe was the quality of the shirts... She usually takes an XL but had to get a 2X... She is now in the camp of those who refuse to buy Disney merchandise again...

As for that cheap quality being the "in" thing right now, I don't know if that is true or not... I honestly have only seen that cheap material used for Disney shirts... Any tee shirts sold in stores by me are of great quality (or at least better quality that Disney's)... Even my Universal tee shirt is made of stronger quality... In fact, I remember in October all of the tee shirts I checked out in Universal were of better quality than Disney's...

PirateLover
04-01-2012, 09:45 AM
That's pretty much how it always works for me. "Gee, I kinda like this t-shirt, but I don't like it $34.99 worth."

It's definitely "in" for ladies wear. For example come playoff time, Phillies shirts for WOMEN are now made in that material. I have to say, I really LIKE the soft material because it feels better on my skin, but Disney is really one of the only places to make MEN'S shirts like that. Also I never put them in the dryer because they will definitely shrink. I buy my DH all kinds of screen Ts every year for his birthday and Christmas. They are all like regular old t-shirts. The faded/retro look is definitely a huge trend, but I'm not so sure about the cheap material.

AgentC
04-01-2012, 10:53 AM
It's definitely "in" for ladies wear. For example come playoff time, Phillies shirts for WOMEN are now made in that material. I have to say, I really LIKE the soft material because it feels better on my skin, but Disney is really one of the only places to make MEN'S shirts like that. Also I never put them in the dryer because they will definitely shrink. I buy my DH all kinds of screen Ts every year for his birthday and Christmas. They are all like regular old t-shirts. The faded/retro look is definitely a huge trend, but I'm not so sure about the cheap material.

I agree. I have some solid tees that are so think, you can almost see through them. The thicker tees at the same store are actually less expensive than the thin ones.

Crow
04-02-2012, 12:40 AM
went to DL in Feb for the first time and didnt buy but one picture and a necklace for my gf.
used to buy pins at WDW but last few trips..none
gf and I bought hoodies a yr ago at WDW.
yea I dont buy hardly any souvenirs anymore. THeres not as much that I want. The Disney store has mostly clothes that arent as appealing.
I do spend a lot of time planning where to eat and booking that at WDW.
A lot of that is due to having to make ADR or not get in. and i do not like the dumbing down of many of the menus now.
am I going to pay extra for Fastpasses ahead of time? no.
I cant afford the tickets as it is. and now that this fastpass thing w having to be within the hr window is being enforced..

DizneyFreak2002
04-02-2012, 01:01 AM
Crow, no worries... When Disney finally goes to xPass (won't be called that) it will be free...

TinkerbellT421
04-02-2012, 08:29 AM

Ha! So true, I was walking through a store on Main Street, saw an adorable Tinkerbell Sweatshirt. I was like oooo I'd wear that, I grabbed the price tag and then threw up in my mouth a little bit at the $54.99 price tag. I find myself buying T-Shirts at Walmart for $5.00 that last longer and do not shrink like the actual Disney shirts.

On the note about buying. I do buy items at Disney, I hope that means you will all still like me :blush:

But I buy items that are affordable and I am a collector of sorts and Christmas is my favorite holiday. So typically every year when we go I buy 2 or 3 ornaments. I usually buy one with the year and then ones of my favorites Characters from movies. But those are items that I would buy anywhere which are all made in China and are all junk no matter if you were to buy the items at Target, Walmart or anywhere else. So I buy then at Disney because they are Disney ornaments that I actually like. My friend bought a cheesy plastic pickle from Target for $7.99. I bought a Cinderella's castle glass bell for $11.99.

But I also have bought items I will use or needed at the time and said hey why not, I have scrapbooking items I buy there which if you are a scrapbooker no matter where you buy them will be expensive and shock! I have found I get better and more for my money in Disney than my local craft store! I bought a 60page scrapbook kit with sticker, frames, pages, etc. for $24.00 at Disney. I bought a 12 page kit at Michaels for $24.99. I always look at the price tag when I purchase items, if I know it is a deal and something I want, need or use. I will buy it. Because no matter where you buy it, it is going to be garbage.

TheVBs
04-02-2012, 01:43 PM
Are the t-shirt materials that are being called trendy the super-thin stuff? I don't mind it for myself, although I think I've got just one shirt like that. Thankfully it hasn't shrunk! But, again, the price has to be right. I'm just not paying those prices for a t-shirt.