PDA

View Full Version : Toddlers Flying with Car Seat

2disneyfans
02-23-2012, 07:00 PM
We will be flying Southwest and purchased seats for each of our two DS even though the youngest could still be held.

Do most people traveling with toddlers (3.5 years old and 22 months) use car seats on the airplane?

We will be taking Magical Express once we arrive at MCO to get to Disney and are only using resort buses when we are there (no rental car).

I was just wondering what most people do regarding car seats.

minnie-mouse
02-23-2012, 07:51 PM
We did not travel with a car seat for our DD when she was that age. We just buckled her into her own seat. But we used a car rental whe nwe arrived in Orlando and rented a car seat for the rental car. I would think on the Magical Express bus you wouldn't need a car seat.

mickeys_princess_mom
02-23-2012, 08:12 PM
We did not travel with a car seat for our DD when she was that age. We just buckled her into her own seat. But we used a car rental whe nwe arrived in Orlando and rented a car seat for the rental car. I would think on the Magical Express bus you wouldn't need a car seat.

Haven't seen them on ME.

goofynmd
02-23-2012, 08:27 PM
When our DS was 22 months we bought him a seat on the plane even though we didn't need to. We used his car seat on the plane because he knew he had to sit still and be buckled in it. We stored it on the ME bus with the rest of our luggage. When he was 2&1/2 and 3&1/2 we had him just sit in the regular plane seat.
I think it depends on the child. If they are easy going and will sit still, then sitting in the regular seat with the buckle may be enough.

NJGIRL
02-23-2012, 10:04 PM
We never took a car seat on the plane when my son was that age. I never saw a reason to, plus my son enjoying standing in his seat when he was tried of sitting. That kept him happy and quite.

Pirate Granny
02-24-2012, 12:12 AM
You are not allowed to use a car seat in ME...must be put under the bus in the luggage area.

BrerGnat
02-24-2012, 08:05 AM
If you have a wiggly child, I'd take the carseat for the plane. Kids should understand that air travel is the same as car travel. Must remain seated, buckled in for the duration, unless they need to get up for the bathroom. Unexpected turbulence can cause serious injuries if a child is unbuckled or sitting improperly, and instances of turbulence are unpredictable and happen quite often. If you child is old enough to understand he/she must remain seated upright and buckled in, you can skip the carseat.

We allowed our youngest son to sit in the airplane seat without a carseat when he was around 4. Prior to that, we brought the carseat onboard the plane. It's a pain, but safety first.

disneynarula
02-24-2012, 10:22 AM
For a three year old? Probably not. I use a car seat for my younger toddler. Just make sure your car seat will fit. I have a Britax and it does not always fit even though it is "airline approved". It won't fit in a "bulkhead" row where the armrests don't lift up and down. A car seat also puts the toddler in perfect position to kick the seat in front of them. I discovered this on a very loooong trip from London to Las Vegas. I would gate check the car seat. I had mine lost once along with our luggage.

ozmom
02-24-2012, 12:22 PM
Check out the CARES Harness, worked great for us and our grandon (2 yrs) You can either purchase or rent through Ebay, which is what we did. :mickey:

Checkers
02-24-2012, 08:20 PM
If you have a wiggly child, I'd take the carseat for the plane. Kids should understand that air travel is the same as car travel. Must remain seated, buckled in for the duration, unless they need to get up for the bathroom. Unexpected turbulence can cause serious injuries if a child is unbuckled or sitting improperly, and instances of turbulence are unpredictable and happen quite often. If you child is old enough to understand he/she must remain seated upright and buckled in, you can skip the carseat.

We allowed our youngest son to sit in the airplane seat without a carseat when he was around 4. Prior to that, we brought the carseat onboard the plane. It's a pain, but safety first.

So totally agree with this!

Georgesgirl1
02-24-2012, 09:05 PM

Agreed! Car seats may be a hassle, but any amount of hassle is worth it for my child's safety!

Check out the CARES Harness, worked great for us and our grandon (2 yrs) You can either purchase or rent through Ebay, which is what we did. :mickey:
These are also a great option although they are only for kids 22-44 lbs, so makes sure your children are the appropriate size.

disneynarula
02-25-2012, 04:40 AM
Make sure your airline will allow the use of the harness!