PDA

View Full Version : Switching Off vs Baby Swap

dntccc
02-23-2012, 03:30 PM
We have utilitzed what I thought was called "child swap" or something similar at WDW. When my wife and I wanted to ride something that our children could not ride, one of us would go ride while the other one was given what was basically a fastpass that allowed the person that waited to go through the fastpass lane after the other had ridden. I just read on another site about what they called "switching off" (Space Moutain was the ride being discussed). It said that you could all proceed together through the line (children and adults). It said to tell the Disney attendant that you want to switch off. Then, it said once you get to the second attendant, one of the adults will be instructed to wait with the kids while the other one rides. Then, when the person finishes the ride, that person will then wait with the kids while the other person rides.

Is the "switching off" something new? We have been three times with our kids over the past 7 years and were never given this option. We were always given a pass to use the fastpass lane.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
02-23-2012, 03:37 PM
When my husband and I were there in '09 we saw several couples with small/young children that were switching off (one CM called it Baby Swap) with one riding while the other waiting at the front of the line, those lines whose beginning and end were not the same were given a pass to go through the fast pass line.

Patricia
02-23-2012, 04:17 PM
Disney Parks refers to it as Rider Swap but it's often referred to as Baby Swap. I was baby swapping 19 years ago, it's definitely not new. I suggest when you get to the queue, you tell the CM you'd like to use the Rider Swap and keep your group together. If it's possible on that attraction, they will let you know.

You seem to have the details correct. You all enter the queue and stay together, when you get to the loading area you ask a CM to let you baby swap. If you have other children that can and will ride, they can usually remain seated and have another ride with the second adult. As stated above, if the ride ends in a different location you will need to use a switch pass, which is like a fastpass but is usually good for more than one person.

magicjasb
02-23-2012, 04:18 PM
It depends on what ride as to how you switch off (or baby swap). For example, at Soarin you are given a ticket to return to the Fast Pass line. On Star Tours, you proceeded (don't know if this is different now with the new ride) to the actual entrance to the ride. There was a bench outside the doors that one of us sat on and waited. As soon as the ride ended, one adult exited, while the other adult entered the ride. At each ride a Cast Member can inform you as to how that ride works.

Kenny1113
02-23-2012, 06:08 PM
I was actually confused :confused: on our last trip because some of the rides were as you (and I) had experienced in the past with the fast pass type ticket. While some of the rides did not offer the fast pass type ticket and instead told us to wait in line together and one would ride while the other waited nearby. Maybe this is something they are transitioning (back) to or maybe it is as mstngdrvn stated it depends upon where the ride begins and ends.

disneynarula
02-25-2012, 06:24 AM
It depends on how the line is queued. Sometimes the people who are waiting with the child are given a ticket to get in the FP line and sometimes they wait outside the loading area.

The swap system is designed so adults in the party can ride if child in their party can not. Recently WDW guests are using it as a way to ride back to back without waiting in line. This is especially the case if you are given a FP ticket rather than waiting outside the load area. Two people will get a FP and then get in line with the non riding child and say they need a rider switch card. They then get a rider switch card that allows them to get in the FP line with 3 other people. So essentially they are getting 4 additional FP. The people who did not get the original FP could get FP for other attractions. It seems like a lot of work for me but I have heard that is they way it works.

WDWdriver
02-25-2012, 09:03 AM
The procedure is different from ride to ride because some rides either don't have room for a waiting area in the loading zone or it would be unsafe for guests to be waiting in the loading zone. At Kali River Rapids and Expedition Everest children not tall enough to ride cannot enter the queue at all. So we use the FastPass type of swap, variously called a rider switch pass or child swap pass which is good for up to three guests.