PDA

View Full Version : Going Home for the Holidays Day 7

buzznwoodysmom
02-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Day 7
Monday, December 26

We were originally supposed to leave today. However, I am known for adding an extra night or two, or more! This trip was no different. Right before we left I rented points from a good friend of mine and we booked Old Key West. I would love to one day be able to say we’ve stayed at every resort. Old Key West is a resort I’ve wanted to check out, but doubt I’d ever want to spend a whole week at, so this was perfect.

We got everything packed up, checked out of Wilderness Lodge and made our way to OKW. It was just 9am and the check in was swamped! Looks like everyone is getting to Disney today. Check in was smooth and our room was ready. We drove, and drove, and drove to what I’m pretty sure was the farthest room in the resort. I noticed at the check in desk that we appeared to be pretty far out, and I remember mentioning to the CM that if we were here for a whole week that room location wouldn’t be one we’d like. She offered to look for something closer, but since we were there for the one night I declined. I thought of a poor family checking in after me for the whole week ending up in that location, so we kept the room. We were in a studio, and it was huge! Much larger than any of the other studios we’ve stayed in. This resort is quite charming!

We unpacked a few bags, and headed for the pool. My kids loved this pool. We had lots of quick service credits left so we unloaded a bunch at the little pool bar area. I don’t remember what we got, but it was all good. The kids swam, played on the playground, we participated in the pool party. We spent a good chunk of the day at the pool.

We eventually pulled ourselves from the pool, and back up to the room to get ready for dinner. Before heading to the Beach Club we drove to All Star Sports for the boys. They both love football, especially Landon. Landon asked if they could go play football on the little field at the resort. We must have stayed there for at least an hour. They played football, met a kid from Louisiana that played with them for a bit, and Landon proclaimed this his new favorite resort. We stayed here for a few nights a few years ago, but he wasn't as into football as he is now.

We drove to the Beach Club for our dinner at Cape May Café. We still had one more set of table service credits which we used here. We’ve eaten at Cape May a few times in the past and really enjoyed it, but this time was not so great. First of all the price has increased since our last meal here, and I hardly thought this meal was worth the price tag. Sure it’s a lot of seafood, but the quality of the food wasn’t great. I don’t think we’ll be eating here again, at least not for a very long time.

After dinner we spent the rest of the evening strolling the loop. I love this whole area during the holidays. We toured all the Christmas displays. We spent some time at the Beach Club, walked along the beach, hung out for a bit at Yacht Club. As much as I like to think I’m a Magic Kingdom girl, I absolutely love the Epcot resort area. I could spend several nights there on each trip and I don’t think I’d get bored with it. We headed to the Boardwalk and decided to head in at Big River Grill. I’ve read about the beer sampler they have there years ago. DH loves beer so we decided to try it. Kevin and I sat at the bar, while the kids sat at the little bar area facing the entrance. Since they are minors they couldn’t sit at the main bar, but were allowed to sit at this other bar. We ordered them cokes and they thought they were so cool to be sitting at the bar by themselves (with mom and dad arms reach away). ;) LOL. The beer sampler was fun to try. I didn’t enjoy most of the beers, but DH thought it was a great deal and he thoroughly enjoyed doing this. If I remember correctly it was 5 or 6 samples for $7.99. While we were tasting beers we watched the Saints pregame show. After Big River Grill we walked the Boardwalk, watched one of the entertainers for a bit, walked through the shops, and explored the inside of the Boardwalk resort. We always just kind of pass through, enjoying the outside, but never really took much time to see the inside, other than the Christmas decorations in the past. We also saw the clown pool for the first time. My boys would love to stay here one day, they loved the pool area, but I don’t know, this resort didn’t really do it for me. I’m sure we’ll stay one day, but I’m in no hurry.

Back at BC we all decided we were done for the night. Landon really wanted to get back to the room to watch the Saints game. He’s a huge fan! Back at OKW we settled in for our last night in WDW. We watched the game and were all soon asleep. Tomorrow would be the long drive home!

faline
02-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Very relaxed day! A perfect way to prepare for spending a long time on the road!

emerzmom
02-23-2012, 12:40 PM
It sounds like it was a really nice day!

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Sounds nice

vizsla
02-25-2012, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the report.