PDA

View Full Version : Storybook Circus Opening Date and Snow White's Scary Adventures Closing Date

Figment!
02-23-2012, 10:08 AM
Part of New Fantasyland’s Storybook Circus Will Open By Late March at Magic Kingdom Park

by Jennifer Fickley-Baker, Social Media Manager
The Official Disney Parks Blog
February 23rd, 2012

Who’s ready for an update on New Fantasyland? I just heard that the first elements of Storybook Circus will open by late March, marking the first in a series of progressive openings for the largest expansion in Magic Kingdom Park history.

Among the first experiences to open will be one carousel of Dumbo the Flying Elephant, a re-themed Barnstormer starring the Great Goofini and the Fantasyland Station of the Walt Disney World Railroad.

... The Disney Princesses will be getting a new home at the location where Snow White’s Scary Adventures is today. The last day of operation for this attraction will be Thursday, May 31.

TinkerbellT421
02-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the info :mickey::thumbsup:

Aurora
02-23-2012, 10:56 AM
RIP Snow White's Scary Adventures. I wonder how many millions of children the witch has terrorized over these many years. We ride it every trip. I will be sad when it's gone. :(

Ian
02-23-2012, 11:27 AM
That's good news for us! SWSA will still be open when we go in May! :thumbsup:

:mickey:

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
02-23-2012, 11:31 AM
Mixed feelings - wonderful that a Dumbo will be up and running during our visit, but bummer that SWSA will not. I love the nostalgia of Snow White.

disneymom15
02-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Very cool, can't wait for Icot15 to be able to see it in person.

Stu29573
02-23-2012, 01:48 PM
SWSA will be missed....by me at least. I always liked it.

FriendsofMickey
02-23-2012, 03:55 PM
:mickey: About the new parts opening. However, I just told my girls and they are very upset about Snow Whites Scary Adventure. :(

Cjsmom1811
02-23-2012, 04:30 PM
Ive never been on SWSA, but I am moving to orlando in FIVE days :party: ill have to remember to ride it when i get down there!

ronandjulie
02-23-2012, 06:20 PM
We liked Snow White better than Mr. Toad. That Witch was scary

Carol
02-23-2012, 06:24 PM
We liked Snow White better than Mr. Toad. That Witch was scary

Like both and they're still available at Disneyland.

AgentC
02-23-2012, 08:49 PM
I'm sad about SWSA. It's one of the rides I remember from my childhood. :(

dnickels
02-23-2012, 09:42 PM
I think trading a ride for a meet & greet instead of a ride for a ride deserves a :(

Have to be sure to ride it a few times between now and then.

badkitty
02-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Like both and they're still available at Disneyland.

Yes, but Snow White is a bit different in CA. WDW has some elements that aren't in DL and seems a bit longer.

Melanie
02-23-2012, 10:21 PM
I think trading a ride for a meet & greet instead of a ride for a ride deserves a :(

I see your point, but I choose to look at it as an upgrade, and that the new ride is going into a different location.

Jeniflower
02-24-2012, 07:58 AM
I'll miss SWSA but can't wait for all the changes

mickeys_princess_mom
02-24-2012, 11:44 AM
Ive never been on SWSA, but I am moving to orlando in FIVE days :party: ill have to remember to ride it when i get down there!

Lucky you! :mickey: We are excited that we'll get to ride it again in May. I was afraid our last trip was the last time for us.

Emme&TeddysMommy
02-24-2012, 12:40 PM
We will get one more ride on SWSA on our vacation in May!!!!!

Jeff
02-24-2012, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the info!

Thumper03
02-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Our first response when hearing about SWSA? Glad we have the memories, but ready for a change.
While SWSA is a classic ride, it is outdated. Cut-out characters with black lights just don't meet the technological standards that Disney's Imagineers are capable of.
We shouldn't expect a meet and greet to be in that location long term as the Princesses will relocate to permanent homes when the Fantasyland expansion is complete.
Looking forward to bigger and better. :thumbsup:

DizneyFreak2002
02-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Our first response when hearing about SWSA? Glad we have the memories, but ready for a change.
While SWSA is a classic ride, it is outdated. Cut-out characters with black lights just don't meet the technological standards that Disney's Imagineers are capable of.
We shouldn't expect a meet and greet to be in that location long term as the Princesses will relocate to permanent homes when the Fantasyland expansion is complete.

But permanent homes aren't being created for ALL the princesses... Ariel, Belle, and Snow White are getting their own areas, but Cinderella, Rapunzel, Tiana, and Aurora aren't... I have simple solutions for TDO free of charge obviously:

Where Rapunzel meets now, make that for Cinderella since, you know, it is Cinderella Castle.. (Yes, they can keep Cinderella in the lobby of the Cinderella's Royal Table)... Tiana can stay on the Riverboat in Liberty Square (isn't perfect but the riverboat is a backdrop in Princess and the Frog and therefore does fit), Rapunzel goes into the area where the new bathrooms are going that will be Tangled themed (Rapunzel's tower is supposedly part of the area designs so no reason her meet and greet couldn't go over there).. That leaves Aurora... Ready for a radical concept for Aurora?? Make the Snow White dark ride a Sleeping beauty dark ride and presto, she now has an area you can make into an Aurora meet and greet, with some sort of interactive (geez I hate even thinking about more interactive queue nonsense) and well themed back drop for the M&G...

disneydeb
02-25-2012, 04:02 PM
I like the ideas, DisneyFreak2002!:thumbsup:

Thumper03
02-25-2012, 04:18 PM
Where Rapunzel meets now, make that for Cinderella since, you know, it is Cinderella Castle.. (Yes, they can keep Cinderella in the lobby of the Cinderella's Royal Table)... Tiana can stay on the Riverboat in Liberty Square (isn't perfect but the riverboat is a backdrop in Princess and the Frog and therefore does fit), Rapunzel goes into the area where the new bathrooms are going that will be Tangled themed (Rapunzel's tower is supposedly part of the area designs so no reason her meet and greet couldn't go over there).. That leaves Aurora... Ready for a radical concept for Aurora?? Make the Snow White dark ride a Sleeping beauty dark ride and presto, she now has an area you can make into an Aurora meet and greet, with some sort of interactive (geez I hate even thinking about more interactive queue nonsense) and well themed back drop for the M&G...

Well thought out. :idea:

WDWRox
02-26-2012, 08:53 AM

At the risk of sounding blasphemous (which I'm not trying to be).....couldn't the same be said for Peter Pan's Flight? Not that I want them to tear it down as it's one of my must-dos each time I'm there.

TheVBs
02-26-2012, 09:25 AM
We rode Snow White when we went last fall. We had never ridden it before, and thanks to info here, I made sure we tried it knowing it would likely be our last chance. Glad we did it!

Our next trip will likely be in the Spring of 2013. Can we expect most of this due to be finished by then?

DizneyFreak2002
02-26-2012, 11:35 AM
I like the ideas, DisneyFreak2002!:thumbsup:

Thanks!!!

Well thought out. :idea:

Of course... That is why TDO would hate me cause I'd make a decision based on common sense, not the cheapest way out... I'd be Meg's worst nightmare...

DizneyFreak2002
02-26-2012, 11:36 AM
We rode Snow White when we went last fall. We had never ridden it before, and thanks to info here, I made sure we tried it knowing it would likely be our last chance. Glad we did it!

Our next trip will likely be in the Spring of 2013. Can we expect most of this due to be finished by then?

The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Storybook Circus, yes.... The Dwarfs' mine train ride: no...

Miss Tink 2
02-26-2012, 02:59 PM
Are they going to have a new Snow White ride? I do not know what all is planned in the new Fantasyland. Can someone tell us what to expect?

Jared
02-26-2012, 03:19 PM
But permanent homes aren't being created for ALL the princesses... Ariel, Belle, and Snow White are getting their own areas, but Cinderella, Rapunzel, Tiana, and Aurora aren't... I have simple solutions for TDO free of charge obviously:

Keep Tiana away from that riverboat. The Rivers of America are sad enough these days. Once the Liberty Belle is anchored, that's pretty much it.

AXOAlum
02-26-2012, 03:53 PM

I think the technological standards they are capable of is questionable *cough*cough*YETI*PTERODACTYL*cough*cough*:beat: :fresh:

We are going in May also, so one last spin (or two) and a few more photos of the cobweb covered Dopey at the ride's end = :giveup: SWSA!

wdwnutz
02-26-2012, 03:56 PM
Does anyone have an exact date, maybe for a soft opening? I am going to be there 3/15 - 3/21!

Kaps
02-26-2012, 05:38 PM
We rode SWSA every time we went. We have not rode Dumbo in years, and now there will be two of them. Don't get me wrong, I know it is a classic but my kids are getting older and they are no longer interested in Dumbo or Alladins carpets (which we have never rode).Now there will be two Dumbo rides we can walk past when 1 was enough. We will miss SWSA as we miss 10,000 leagues under the sea. Might be a major renovation but I am not overly impressed IMO. I know others will disagree.

Kairi_7378
02-26-2012, 05:53 PM
SWSA will be missed....by me at least. I always liked it.

We will miss it too. On our last trip we rode it 4 times. (Snow White is my son's favorite princess.)

TheVBs
02-26-2012, 06:24 PM
The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Storybook Circus, yes.... The Dwarfs' mine train ride: no...

Good to know, thank you!

Sylvia
02-26-2012, 06:45 PM
A couple of weeks ago, thanks to Wendy at MJ, I made reservations for May. I'm glad I'll get to ride Snow White one more time; it's not one of my top favorites, but it's always on my list. :thumbsup:

DizneyFreak2002
02-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Are they going to have a new Snow White ride? I do not know what all is planned in the new Fantasyland. Can someone tell us what to expect?

The new Snow White themed ride will be the Seven Dwarfs' Mine Train coaster... With 2 show scenes.. Will not tell the story of Snow White at all... In fact, you may not even see Snow White until the ride is over.. The Evil Queen will not have a presence at all...

DizneyFreak2002
02-26-2012, 07:35 PM
Does anyone have an exact date, maybe for a soft opening? I am going to be there 3/15 - 3/21!

Parts of Storybook Circus will be open at the end of March... you may hit it lucky... The rest of New Fantasyland won't be open...

minnie04
02-27-2012, 03:18 PM

I feel the same way. I was there in Dec. and we rode it with my 8yr.old and he was like mom this is really bad. They are used to all the 3d technology and want to be wowed just like we did when we were little and it was the newest thing at Disney. I'm looking forward to the changes. I just wish they would change the race track to "Cars" ... for those of us in our 40's its time to let today’s kids be wowed by the imagination of the Disney techs. Don’t get me wrong I’m sad to see things change, but as long as they change for the good I’m happy to keep going to see them…plus it’s an excuse to go …lol.. so I say :thumbsup:

disneynarula
03-03-2012, 03:37 AM
I am so excited for Little Mermaid. I am also glad that they putting a new "E Ticket" type ride at MK. It's about time.

Anyone know what the height restrictions are going to be on the Seven Dwarfs?

DizneyFreak2002
03-03-2012, 11:50 AM
I am so excited for Little Mermaid. I am also glad that they putting a new "E Ticket" type ride at MK. It's about time.

Anyone know what the height restrictions are going to be on the Seven Dwarfs?

There are no E tickets coming to new Fantasyland... Mermaid is a C ticket and the Mine Coaster is MAYBE a D.. MAYBE... There are no E's coming... If the reduce Mine Coaster any more, it will be a B like Barnstormer LOL... As it stands now D is being generous as it is more like a C+....

disneynarula
03-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Technically when the Submarine Voyage opened at Disneyland it was an "E" ticket ride as was the Monorail. "E" ticket was just a popular ride. Although now most people consider the thrill rides "E" ticket rides it was orginally a term for the more popular rides.

For example... while not a thrill ride TSM would probably be an "E" ticket ride due to is popularity.

DizneyFreak2002
03-03-2012, 02:38 PM
Technically when the Submarine Voyage opened at Disneyland it was an "E" ticket ride as was the Monorail. "E" ticket was just a popular ride. Although now most people consider the thrill rides "E" ticket rides it was orginally a term for the more popular rides.

For example... while not a thrill ride TSM would probably be an "E" ticket ride due to is popularity.

Dumbo is popular, would you consider that an E??? Dumbo is a B... But not an E... Mermaid is a C+, maybe D, as it is referred to internally... Read around, you'll see what Imagineers consider it... But in no circle does anyone consider it an E...

brivers222
03-05-2012, 11:52 PM
rest in peace.... SWSA.... you will be missed, despite freaking out children of all ages, you will be missed.

DizneyFreak2002
03-06-2012, 11:32 AM
UPDATE: Storybook Circus opening pushed back to March 31... So, won't be opening on the 19th now....

TracyL
03-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Very mixed feelings about SWSA. First time I rode it I was probably 4-5 years old and it terrified the bejeezus out of me. For many years, even as an adult, I refused to ride it. Not kidding, I had nightmares about that ride.

So yeah, it's a classic, and yeah, we all have our fond memories, and yeah, a princess meet & greet is not what I want to see replacing it. But I have to say I'm not as sorry to see it go as the rest of y'all.

Glimpsed some Dumbo "flight tests" over the wall on 2/29 when I was there. The bright colors are really something on those tents! And the Fantasyland train station should be lovely when it's done. It'll be so nice to have a third stop on the train again -- as it is now, the train is not very useful as transportation!

Ian
03-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Technically when the Submarine Voyage opened at Disneyland it was an "E" ticket ride as was the Monorail. "E" ticket was just a popular ride. Although now most people consider the thrill rides "E" ticket rides it was originally a term for the more popular rides.

For example... while not a thrill ride TSM would probably be an "E" ticket ride due to is popularity.Actually the term "E" ticket is really used more to apply to outstanding attractions that would have warranted one under the old ticket book system.

I believe, although I'm not 100% certain, that the formula for determining what attractions were A, B, C, D, or E tickets was relatively simple ... expensive, elaborate attractions rated the less common tickets (D or E) while the simpler or less expensive attractions got the more common A, B, C tickets.

A good example of this would have been If You Had Wings back in the day ... it was an attraction very similar to some that were C and D tickets, but it required no ticket at all because it was funded almost entirely by Eastern Airlines.

disneynarula
03-08-2012, 01:12 PM
I guess I could have explained what I meant, but that was what I was thinking Ian. Thanks for clarifying.

I meant to clarify that back in the day, an E ticket ride did not have to be a thrill ride. I think that Toy Story Mania would probably have required an E ticket because it is a very elaborate ride that cost a lot of money to build.

Ian
03-08-2012, 04:15 PM
I guess I could have explained what I meant, but that was what I was thinking Ian. Thanks for clarifying.

I meant to clarify that back in the day, an E ticket ride did not have to be a thrill ride. I think that Toy Story Mania would probably have required an E ticket because it is a very elaborate ride that cost a lot of money to build.Yeah and I probably should have mentioned that I completely agree with you about TSM. There's no doubt in my mind that would have been an E-Ticket attraction.

iluvdumbo
03-12-2012, 09:42 AM
I'll miss SWSA, but a lot of children are afraid of the ride. One of my old friends was terrified of the ride at 12 years old when we went in 2006. Even though it will be sad to see it gone, it was more depressing when Mickey and Minnie's homes were taken down in my opinion.

RBrooksC
03-12-2012, 11:11 AM
I just read that Storybook Circus has started soft openings, including 1/2 of the new Dumbo rides. Just an FYI

BIGDOG
05-24-2012, 07:10 PM
Very sad indeed Snow White has always been one of my favorites and probably not for the same reason as the rest of you. I did enjoy the ride with my children many times and loved the theme and so on. The main reason I have always loved Snow White is that with out her character and the success of the 1937 movie Walt Disney would never have been as successful. In fact he took a huge gamble borrowing a lot of money to make the movie and of course the rest is history. I just think there should always be some sort of area or ride or something to do with Snow white In Disney World. Look on the bright side maybe there can now be a new ride:
SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN?
Kids should love that ride

Melanie
05-24-2012, 07:16 PM
I'm going this weekend to ride one last time! :thumbsup:

DizneyFreak2002
05-24-2012, 07:22 PM
Fairy Tale zzzzzz, Oh I'm sorry, fell asleep thinking about the replacement...

Fairy Tale Hall won't open til 2013.. LATE 2013.. For a meet and greet...

DizneyFreak2002
05-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Very sad indeed Snow White has always been one of my favorites and probably not for the same reason as the rest of you. I did enjoy the ride with my children many times and loved the theme and so on. The main reason I have always loved Snow White is that with out her character and the success of the 1937 movie Walt Disney would never have been as successful. In fact he took a huge gamble borrowing a lot of money to make the movie and of course the rest is history. I just think there should always be some sort of area or ride or something to do with Snow white In Disney World. Look on the bright side maybe there can now be a new ride:
SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN?
Kids should love that ride

Hmm, if Snow White and the Huntsman does well in the box office, maybe Universal would consider some sort of Snow White ride since they are putting out the movie... But I wouldn't hold my breath on that... I cannot picture Kristen Stewart in any theme park attraction...

And as much as I hate the princesses taking over 90% of fantasyland, I do agree with you.. Snow White should have representation in Disney... And she will... She is supposed to have a meet and greet (agh, I hate even saying those words) by the Dwarf cottage... The ride will not feature her at all...

Melanie
05-24-2012, 07:30 PM
The ride will not feature her at all...

Well, remember that Snow White wasn't represented in the original version of Scary Adventures either. The rider was supposed to be her.

I don't have an issue with her not being part of the new ride. The dwarfs are still a part of her story and I have a feeling this attraction is going to be great.

Ian
05-24-2012, 10:22 PM
We saw the new Fantasyland expansion display they added to One Man's Dream today and man is it impressive looking. If the real thing turns out to be even half as gorgeous as the model it should look just out of this world.

I still, though, am having a hard time getting past the fact that when all is said and done all this money will have gone to fund exactly +1 new ride. Seems like they really could have done more with all that they're spending ...

DizneyFreak2002
05-24-2012, 11:27 PM
Well, remember that Snow White wasn't represented in the original version of Scary Adventures either. The rider was supposed to be her.

I don't have an issue with her not being part of the new ride. The dwarfs are still a part of her story and I have a feeling this attraction is going to be great.

That''s right... The rider was supposed to be Snow White in the original version.. Forgot about that part... I only remember seeing Snow White as part of the attraction...

I have no issues with her not being part of mine coaster.. The them is the diamond mines... Snow White was never in the diamond minds and doesn't belong in the ride because of that.... I think we may see one or two scenes with the 7 Dwarfs... Which is just fine by me... Plus, I believe Snow White will actually be visible inside the cottage as you exit the ride, so I guess, in a way, she will be represented...

Just don't get your hopes up on a great ride Mel... it isn't going to be a show stopper... Will be fun and fit right in... But I'd stop short of calling it great... That may be setting expectations too high... Only my opinion though...

DizneyFreak2002
05-24-2012, 11:29 PM
We saw the new Fantasyland expansion display they added to One Man's Dream today and man is it impressive looking. If the real thing turns out to be even half as gorgeous as the model it should look just out of this world.

I still, though, am having a hard time getting past the fact that when all is said and done all this money will have gone to fund exactly +1 new ride. Seems like they really could have done more with all that they're spending ...

Let us not forget the $1 billion on NextGen... Could have went to the parks to improve DHS, add to DAK, give Epcot much needed love, fix Splash Mountain, and redo Tomorrowland... Instead, we get, guest tracking devices to monitor your spending habits... Oh, and interactive queues...

disneynarula
05-28-2012, 07:52 AM
I will miss this attraction. So tired of meet and greets. Since the Seven Dwarfs Mine is not going into the same location they could have left it. It's probably more of a nostalgia thing for me.

Melanie
05-28-2012, 10:30 AM
Rode it yesterday for probably my last time, and I taped it. Sad to see it go!

Disney4
05-28-2012, 12:53 PM
I will miss it by one week . . . :(

Kathy Jetson
05-29-2012, 01:31 AM
I'll miss it by 2 days:(

Ian
05-29-2012, 10:58 AM
SWSA was one of our last rides before we left on Sunday. I'll admit that I'll miss it ... it was always one of DD10's favorite rides when she was littler (Snow White was her favorite princess) and with twin girls who are almost two I feel bad that it won't be around when they hit prime princess age.

The other thing I'm struggling with is the fact that they're shuttering it to replace it with a meet-n-greet. You're telling me that in all that new space, with all those new castles, there's no other spot to put princess meet-n-greets??? Also, why close it now when the new Fantasyland rides won't be online for months to years yet? Seems like they could have kept it open at least until Ariel comes up later this year? I find that slightly irritating.

Goofster
05-30-2012, 09:44 AM
The other thing I'm struggling with is the fact that they're shuttering it to replace it with a meet-n-greet. You're telling me that in all that new space, with all those new castles, there's no other spot to put princess meet-n-greets??? Also, why close it now when the new Fantasyland rides won't be online for months to years yet? Seems like they could have kept it open at least until Ariel comes up later this year? I find that slightly irritating.

Couldn't agree more. They could've also turned it into a non-Snow White themed attraction using the existing track.

Ian
05-30-2012, 09:56 AM
Couldn't agree more. They could've also turned it into a non-Snow White themed attraction using the existing track.That would have been highly preferable, IMO. Really, if you think about it and look at the concept art, they're adding a huge new area to Fantasyland that at the end of the day has three new rides and that's it. One of them is a copy of an existing attraction (Dumbo II) and the other is a net-break even because it replaces another attraction (Seven Drawfs Mine Train/SWSA).

So w're really getting one new attraction for all this hoopla and it's actually starting to irk me a bit. The rest of it is restaurants (which I find ironic, since they already have two restaurants they aren't using!), shops, meet and greets, and a playground. I can't believe they couldn't, in all that new space, find a place for a meet and greet that didn't require shuttering an existing ride.

And yeah to your last point, if you're going to shut SWSA down because you think it's old, no one loves it, it's too scary, or whatever then replace it with a new ride. Just put like Pinocchio or Alice in Wonderland in there from DL or something, if you want to save some money.

The more I dig into the FLE, the less excited about it I am.

Stu29573
05-30-2012, 11:09 AM
That would have been highly preferable, IMO. Really, if you think about it and look at the concept art, they're adding a huge new area to Fantasyland that at the end of the day has three new rides and that's it. One of them is a copy of an existing attraction (Dumbo II) and the other is a net-break even because it replaces another attraction (Seven Drawfs Mine Train/SWSA).

So w're really getting one new attraction for all this hoopla and it's actually starting to irk me a bit. The rest of it is restaurants (which I find ironic, since they already have two restaurants they aren't using!), shops, meet and greets, and a playground. I can't believe they couldn't, in all that new space, find a place for a meet and greet that didn't require shuttering an existing ride.

And yeah to your last point, if you're going to shut SWSA down because you think it's old, no one loves it, it's too scary, or whatever then replace it with a new ride. Just put like Pinocchio or Alice in Wonderland in there from DL or something, if you want to save some money.

The more I dig into the FLE, the less excited about it I am.

The point that bugs me is that out of all the expansion we get not one E ticket. Not one.

Putting in a new ride in the old SWSA building would have been wonderful. Heck, they could have even brought back MTWR, but I guess they assume that princesses will generate more money. Its sickening, in a way...

Ian
05-30-2012, 01:34 PM
The point that bugs me is that out of all the expansion we get not one E ticket. Not one.Well the jury is out on that in my mind at least until more detail around 7DMT are released.

From some of the early descriptions I've heard of it, it could be close to an E-Ticket type attraction.

Stu29573
05-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Well the jury is out on that in my mind at least until more detail around 7DMT are released.

From some of the early descriptions I've heard of it, it could be close to an E-Ticket type attraction.

I was going off the first reports that it would be a D ticket at best. I hope those are wrong!

DizneyFreak2002
05-30-2012, 05:25 PM
I don't think those reports are wrong... One or two small show scenes added to a coaster no more thrilling than Barnstormer... Not an E ticket by any stretch of the imagination, and if anyone thinks it is. sadly, they are fooling themselves... MAYBE it is a D... but possibly a C+....

joonyer
05-30-2012, 05:56 PM
I think the 7D Mine Train, from photos and diagrams that I've seen, won't have anywhere near the speed or "thrills" of even the Barnstormer, but I still think it will be innovative and fun. The proof will be in the pudding, of course, but I agree there's no way it would rate as a "E" ticket attraction. If BTMRR and Space Mountain are "E"s, then Barnstormer would be no better than a "C" or maybe C+. Thrills alone don't make an attraction an "E" level attraction I know, so I'm hoping the new technology of the Mine Train will give it a boost as a new type of attraction. How good it will be will depend a lot on what you see from the cars, (scenes and theming) and not just the physical sensations of the cars and track.

Melanie
05-30-2012, 06:42 PM
Well the jury is out on that in my mind at least until more detail around 7DMT are released.

Can't believe all the poo-poo on this attraction. Not sure why, and if I listen to most of you I'm wrong, but all I've seen reminds me of 20K Leagues at Tokyo DisneySea, which is definitely an E-ticket. Mufasa???? Where are you????

DizneyFreak2002
05-30-2012, 07:33 PM
I think the 7D Mine Train, from photos and diagrams that I've seen, won't have anywhere near the speed or "thrills" of even the Barnstormer, but I still think it will be innovative and fun. The proof will be in the pudding, of course, but I agree there's no way it would rate as a "E" ticket attraction. If BTMRR and Space Mountain are "E"s, then Barnstormer would be no better than a "C" or maybe C+. Thrills alone don't make an attraction an "E" level attraction I know, so I'm hoping the new technology of the Mine Train will give it a boost as a new type of attraction. How good it will be will depend a lot on what you see from the cars, (scenes and theming) and not just the physical sensations of the cars and track.

You should get a view of the new areas of Fantasyland and not much more... Disney is being very loose with what they consider show scenes for this ride because it lacks any real ones...

They can't let it go too fast because they have to put kids on it... There can't be much in the way of any real drops or swaying of the cars for the same reason... When it comes down to it, it may be a tad better than Barnstormer... But not much more...

Bethanymouse
05-30-2012, 08:57 PM
Call me "old" but I miss the days of characters roaming the park. All these meet and greets take the fun out of it....

Then again, I dont have kids yet....maybe that makes a difference?

Aurora
05-31-2012, 01:04 PM
Call me "old" but I miss the days of characters roaming the park. All these meet and greets take the fun out of it....

Then again, I dont have kids yet....maybe that makes a difference?

There are still some minor characters that are out and about, but the major ones are meet and greets, because of the bottlenecks they create and because people don't just get pics anymore -- they get autographs too, which creates more waits. Also people like seeing their favorites and are disappointed when they don't get to.

I totally agree it takes some of the fun and "magic" out of spontaneously seeing someone you didn't expect. But it doesn't seem that you can find much spontaneity at Disney anymore. :(

The point that bugs me is that out of all the expansion we get not one E ticket. Not one.

I'm not at all concerned about not having an E-ticket ride. I will reserve judgment about the two NEW rides until after I experience them.

The bigger picture is that looks to me like they are trying to create a more immersive experience, not just put in more rides. That area of Fantasyland was due for a 21st Century upgrade, and people FOR YEARS have complained about dark rides like SWSA being outdated (I don't agree, but that's another story). Yeah, they could have put in another attraction there, but it doesn't mean they won't ever.

I'm really looking forward to another "land" to experience in the Magic Kingdom for the first time in many years.

AgentC
05-31-2012, 02:05 PM
The bigger picture is that looks to me like they are trying to create a more immersive experience, not just put in more rides. That area of Fantasyland was due for a 21st Century upgrade, and people FOR YEARS have complained about dark rides like SWSA being outdated (I don't agree, but that's another story). Yeah, they could have put in another attraction there, but it doesn't mean they won't ever.

I'm really looking forward to another "land" to experience in the Magic Kingdom for the first time in many years.

I think I'm with Aurora here.

I went on SWSAfor the last time last night. I have fond memories of being terrified on that ride at 6. :) I still enjoy riding it but I can understand why it feels dated to some especially for someone visiting for the first time who doesn't have the nostalgic feelings that many of us have.

I do wish they were keeping it open longer since the meet and greet won't be opening for quite some time but I can understand why they are putting it there.

To me, the mine train is the replacement for SWSA. It is not going in the same space, but it is replacing it. It wouldn't really make sense to try to redo SWSA into the mine train. The train needs a new location.

And I don't think we need more princess meet and greets but you have to admit it is pretty disjointed. You have assorted princesses meeting in Town Square Theater, Rapunzel next to City Hall, Merida in the fairy tale gardens and Ariel in Adventureland and Tiana in Liberty Square. Doesn't it make sense to have them in a central location for most of the princesses and shouldn't that location be Fantasyland?

And I know it is not what some would like, but my children are so excited for the Casey Jr Splash Zone. We could see them testing it last night when we rode Dumbo. After we got off , they went over and pressed their faces against the screens to watch it. They wanted to sneak in. :D

DizneyFreak2002
05-31-2012, 03:35 PM
And I don't think we need more princess meet and greets but you have to admit it is pretty disjointed. You have assorted princesses meeting in Town Square Theater, Rapunzel next to City Hall, Merida in the fairy tale gardens and Ariel in Adventureland and Tiana in Liberty Square. Doesn't it make sense to have them in a central location for most of the princesses and shouldn't that location be Fantasyland?

I have made this argument (not a fighting argument, but, maybe more like a proposal argument if that makes sense) regarding these princess meet and greets... here is how I said they should do it:

Cinderella meets at Cinderella Castle

Aurora meets by one of the coves at Cinderella Castle (or aother idea was to make the Snow White ride into a Sleeping Beauty ride and add a meet and greet there, like they are doing over at Pooh)

Ariel has her own in Ariel's Grotto

Belle has her own at Maurice's Cottage/Beast's Castle

Tiana can stay at Liberty Belle (why not? The theme fits perfect with the river boat)

Rapunzel gets her meet and greet at the new Tangled theme section across from Peter Pan

Snow White can meet at the dwarfs cottage...

Am I missing anyone? Jasmin can stay in Adventureland (loose theme I know)

So, they can be spread out instead of losing a ride... I mean, I understand why they are doing it, but it is really not necessary...

And I know it is not what some would like, but my children are so excited for the Casey Jr Splash Zone. We could see them testing it last night when we rode Dumbo. After we got off , they went over and pressed their faces against the screens to watch it. They wanted to sneak in. :D

The pictures I have seen of the construction area make Casey Jr look pretty neat for the kids.. I'm sure the play area will be popular with the children and parents who want a break and want their kids to blow off some of that pent up energy... Should be a cute addition...

AgentC
05-31-2012, 04:34 PM
So, they can be spread out instead of losing a ride... I mean, I understand why they are doing it, but it is really not necessary...

I am not going to disagree with you. The spread out meet n greets don't bother me, but since we are Florida residents, passholders and visit frequently, I'm not sure my pattern is what holds for the majority of Disney visitors. It does seem like they are trying to make the infrequent visitors happy. I know people who don't want to "run all over the park" for meet n greets and it does make it hard to get them all if you really want to. For me, there is always next time.

The pictures I have seen of the construction area make Casey Jr look pretty neat for the kids.. I'm sure the play area will be popular with the children and parents who want a break and want their kids to blow off some of that pent up energy... Should be a cute addition...

Definitely for me. I know lots of people thought the Pooh Playground was a waste of space but my kids loved it. Last night they didn't want to ride Pooh but they played in the interactive queue for quite awhile.

Buttercup
05-31-2012, 06:43 PM
Meh I don't care either way if all the princesses are in one spot, or spread out around the park.

You could say, since they're now going to be all in one spot, that leaves a bunch of empty places around the park to bring out some maybe more obscure character meet & greets?

Even still, I would have rather they brought some of the other dark rides from DL to WDW, like Pinocchio or Alice. Disappointing, but hey, who's to say they won't do that down the road when they've got a little more cash in their pockets.

Disneyfirsttimer
06-04-2012, 11:48 AM
We will definitely miss it :(. Rode it every time.

We actually thought the ride made us "look scary". Did anyone else notice this? If was due to the lighting. If those riding in the front of car turned and faced back and then smiled, all you saw were teeth and devil looking eyes. We enjoyed doing this each time we rode :mickey:.

Karyn