PDA

View Full Version : ADRs in October?

disneynarula
02-21-2012, 03:52 PM
I am in a bit of a pickle. Sorry for the long post. We have room reservations for January. We are 95% sure that is when we are going to go. If a discount becomes available at the end of October we may change our plans and go then.

We live overseas right now and one of my sons goes to the DoD schools and one is in German schools. It's easier to pull them out of an American school so our vacation window is when the German schools have a break, either the last two weeks in October or the first two weeks in January. I booked the trip for January because historically that is when they have discounts. If they advertise a discount in October I would prefer to go then because off property vacation rentals are cheaper then and we could spend one week in a condo somewhere off property and one week at Disney. Otherwise we will spend the holidays with our family in other parts of the U.S. and then just a week in Florida.

If we are going to go in October our ADR window is approaching. How late is too late to make ADRs?

We want to do O'Hana and maybe a character meal. Other places we possibly want to eat is Via Napoli, Boma, Saana, and La Hacienda, Sci Fi and Wolfgang Puck Cafe or Teppen Edo. I have not narrowed it down to seven yet but will soon. I won't be too upset if we can't get O'Hana but Sci Fi is a must for our boys.

Is it "bad form" to make ADRs if we are not sure about our trip?

Strmchsr
02-21-2012, 04:44 PM
You can definitely make ADRs if you're not sure about your trip if you think it's a possibility. I wouldn't consider that bad form at all. If you decide you're not going, just cancel them then.

In regards to "how late is too late" though, I had a surprising thing happen this past week. My son's spring football practice was moved from its traditional last 2 weeks of May to the first two weeks of May. We were scheduled to go the second week of May. We decided to move our trip back a week so as not to conflict with his practice. I'm less than 90 days out and still was able to get Ohanas, Le Cellier, and CRT with no problem. I spoke to a couple of my friends in Disney management. Apparently, since instituting the credit card requirement for the more popular places, no shows have gone from 30-35% to 5-7%. They have also instituted other measures to prevent double-bookings and the system seems to be really working. So I don't think you need to panic about booking exactly at day 180 as has become the norm. Usually they don't do "free" dining in late October and that will also help you with the ADRs.

wickedgin
02-21-2012, 05:36 PM
I don't think it's bad form. I'd make ADRs and then just cancel them if you find you won't be going then. I'd rather be prepared than scrambling at the last minute.

disneynarula
02-22-2012, 03:57 AM
I think I will. I just feel bad taking away a slot from someone who is going for sure. OF course I will cancel when we know for sure.

Can I say that I am so tired of needing to do the ADR thing so far out? It seems like a shame that we just can't decide where we want to eat the day of. I really miss those days. I don't want to have to plan every day according to our meals. MIL really wants the dining plan and we enjoy a TS meal every day. We enjoy lingering over a nice meal. It's a nice escapefrom the craziness of the parks. We are all "foodies" and enjoy trying different places each time we go to WDW.

I understand with the character meals and the dinner shows, having to book so far out but it seems silly for all the other places.

I am just concerned that if they offer free dining it will be crazy. We went one year when we just bought our house and had no money. They offered free dining and we had enough points on our Disney Visa to pay for the park tickets and a room at a value. The parks were almost empty but the restaurants were booked solid. We had a hard time getting ADRs anywhere. They starting offering exchanges, two counter service meals for one TS meal. We ended up eating at more obscure places (Olivia's Cafe and other resort TS). We did find some hidden jems but it was crazy, crazy, crazy. It was when you booked 90 days out and we called to make our ressies at around 75 days.

I think I will go ahead and book our "musts"

Jillirose
02-22-2012, 07:25 AM
I don't think it's bad form. I'd make ADRs and then just cancel them if you find you won't be going then. I'd rather be prepared than scrambling at the last minute.
:thumbsup: agree

AgentC
02-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Can I say that I am so tired of needing to do the ADR thing so far out? It seems like a shame that we just can't decide where we want to eat the day of. I really miss those days.

Unless I am going at a super busy time of year, I have stopped doing ADRS so early. It was driving me crazy. I book early on must do character meals and a few really hard to get meals (Le Cellier for example).

I am not telling you not to book in advance anymore. You need to do what you are comfortable with, but I wouldn't stress about as much as we all used too. I agree with Strmchsr. ADRs are getting easier to get.

In the past, I had those trips too where you couldn't find any place available too. Recently, I have been able to find decent meals now up to a couple of days before my trip. In fact I haven't even booked meals yet for my April trip.