PDA

View Full Version : Advice for before Thanksgiving

TysMomTink
02-19-2012, 02:23 PM
Hi, usually my family DH, DS (5) and I go to WDW in late September or early October. We usually tack on a week at my in-laws house in Tennessee too. This has never been an issue because my son was in VPK (preschool) so missing school wasn't a concern. This August he starts Kindergarten and I don't know when to schedule our WDW trip.

I've planned our yearly family reunion to be around Columbus Day so he will only miss a Friday and/or Tuesday. For WDW I'm torn between tacking on Labor Day weekend or the whole week before Thanksgiving (our school district closes the whole week.) I am looking for input from anyone. I am leaning toward leaving after school on the Friday before Thanksgiving and leaving to come home Wed. night before Thanksgiving. 5 nights works for us. Any thoughts on crowd level?

faline
02-19-2012, 02:44 PM
Crowds will, of course, pick up more as you get closer to Thanksgiving but I think that time frame is manageable.

BelleBeauty
02-19-2012, 04:02 PM
We did that week this year. We flew in late the Thursday a week before Thanksgiving and flew out the Wednesday night before Thanksgiving. Crowd levels were great on Friday and Saturday. We found Sunday unbearable at HS and the crowds got worse the closer we got to Thanksgiving. However, the Wednesday before Thanksgiving was EMH at AK and we went to MK that morning and were able to ride EVERY major ride before leaving the park around 1pm. We were also able to add ADRs day-of on Monday and Tuesday of that week. So if you take the time to plan correctly you will have a great time! If you can sneak in a few days earlier the week before the holiday that will help with crowds too.

RedSoxFan
02-19-2012, 05:13 PM
We went Thanksgiving week last year. Left on the Friday before and came back the day after Thanksgiving. Had a great time and I didn't find it overly busy.

iheartdisney
02-19-2012, 09:52 PM
That time frame is actually one of my favorite times to go to WDW. Christmas decorations are up and crowds are very manageable. You'll have a wonderful time!

TysMomTink
02-20-2012, 08:18 AM
All great points, thanks everyone.