PDA

View Full Version : splitting a stay between 2 resorts

madhatterrules
02-18-2012, 09:46 AM
I'd like to hear from anyone who has split their stay between 2 resorts. I just booked for 6/29-7/8 with 5 nights at POFQ and 4 nights at WL. How does it work; does the resort move your bags to the other property? Do you have to check out of one at 11AM? and not have access to your room again until 3PM? I hope it's worth the extra expense. My husband and I would be content to stay at POFQ the entire trip but my DD has begged us to stay somewhere else becasue she's tired of staying at the same place. How smooth of a transition can I expect?

eam
02-18-2012, 10:55 AM
We do a split stay almost every visit, and it goes very smoothly. Although we drive and just put the luggage in the car, I have read many posts from fellow Intercottees that Disney will transport your luggage for you. If your room isn't ready at your next resort, they just put it in storage.
I am so excited for you as WL is where we always go for the second leg of our stay, and we absolutely love it there. Have a wonderful time and know that your move will go smoothly and without a glitch.

goofygirl67
02-18-2012, 02:09 PM
I did a split stay in Dec. Both reservations were at Port Orleans. I stayed first at Riverside then FQ. I moved myself leaving at 11am. My room was not ready yet so I went downtown for lunch and during that time I got a text saying it was ready, it was about 1pm.
My next trip I am doing the same, mostly due to price. POP first then Riverside.

one2goofy
02-19-2012, 08:09 AM
We did it last year. We split our stay between POP and Beach Club. We gave them our bags on our way to the parks. After spending a couple of hours at the parks, we checked in at the BC. Our bags arrived a bit later in the afternoon. It worked well for us and was easy. Best of luck!

Eric87
02-19-2012, 10:00 AM
We did a split stay once going extreme to extreme. We started at the Poly and went to All Star Sports (honeymoon and could only afford partial at Poly). I would recommend going from value to deluxe next time. The day we checked out at the Poly we took our bags to the front desk after explaining the night before we were switching resorts, and they took care of the bags for us. We went to a park that morning, and our mid day break we checked in at Sports no problem. It was pretty seamless and no hassle at all.

Quadstriker
02-19-2012, 12:59 PM
During our wedding/honeymoon we changed resorts 4 times, due to needing different size accommodations for various parts of the trip. The process is as easy as it can be. You call in the morning when you wake up to reserve a time for Bell to come up and get your stuff, and they'll move it to your new resort for you (Don't forget to tip Bell, they work hard!). Or you can take them down to Bell yourself as you go out in the morning.

The packing/unpacking process however does put a drain on your fun. I wouldn't want to do a split stay again just for that reason.

MinnieMommie
02-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Yes we've done this a few times (actually stayed at 3 resorts once). Split stays are unrelated to the check in/out times so that will not change. We check out early morning from the resort we are leaving and bring our bags down with us then go to a park. All times except once we had no problems with our bags being at our next resort when we checked in. This is generally a smooth process. Even when we have a car we usually let Disney manage the luggage change for us.

mom2morgan
02-19-2012, 05:37 PM
It's pretty easy, and a nice way to experience a second resort you can't afford to stay at for the entire time. 2 ways to do it - move your own luggage by calling a cab - won't cost more than 10-15 dollars. An advantage is not having to worry about it arriving, if you are paranoid like me ;-), but you still won't be able to move it directly to your room - and it will be a waste of a couple hours time for you. The other way, which I'd do, is to check out by 11:00, leave your luggage with bell services to transfer, go to a park and have fun for the day, then come check in at the new resort when you're done. Yes, packing and unpacking is a minor hassle, but not a big deal at all for me.

buzznwoodysmom
02-20-2012, 10:14 AM
We do split stays all the time. We've never had issues and have been able to try so many resorts by splitting. We have our own car so we move the luggage ourselves, but I've read many reports that Disney moves the luggage without problems.

The one thing to keep in mind when doing a split stay is that if you are on the dining plan you will have to have a package, meaning tickets, for each resort. I really wish Disney would work on this. Purchasing extra tickets just to continue having the dining plan after the switch is a huge waste of money, in my opinion. When we've done a split we have either not had the dining plan, or just had the dining plan at the resort in which we stayed longer. Now that we don't plan on getting the dining plan anymore it doesn't matter to us, but if you'll have the dining plan you may not find the switch to be worth it.

mickeys_princess_mom
02-20-2012, 09:55 PM
I would recommend going from value to deluxe next time. .

Yes, definitely! :mickey: We've done it a couple of times, and it was a breeze!

PlutoPlanet
02-21-2012, 12:43 PM
We do a split stay every year. On the day we changes resorts, we pack up in the morning, check our bags with the bell captain, much like we are leaving for good, but we tell the bell captain what resort we are moving to. We spend the day at the park until about 3 or 4 pm. We take the bus from the park to our new resort and check in. We enjoy the themes of different resorts so much a split stay is part of our vacation every year.