PDA

View Full Version : Just Venting

clausjo
02-17-2012, 03:58 PM
First, I'm really upset and angry and typing very fast, so I apologize in advance for any typos and/or gramatical errors.

Okay, so here’s a little background – I’ve worked for this company for almost 8 years. I was part of a company that was acquired and I’m one of the few from that acquired company left. A couple of years ago, they restructured the company and essentially shut down the office I was working in in South FL. I was offered a relocation package or a severance. The market in FL being what it is, I moved my family to Denver. My job changed and I was moved into a different group within our larger group. There is a person here that I’m supposed to be working with that is extremely territorial of her work. I was working here for over 3 months before I actually got any real work to do because, although she continuously complained that she was overwhelmed with work, she wouldn’t pass any along to me. Finally, my supervisor at the time forced her to hand over a region for me (I’m a contracts paralegal). Eventually I was given another region as well. The work load balance between us was still extremely unbalanced in her favor.

So, now I’ve been here in Denver for over a year and my supervisor in FL is my supervisor again. We have a great relationship both professionally and personally and he’s been working hard to try and balance the workload between the two of us. There’s plenty to go around.

Okay, so here’s what happened today to kick off this rant. I got a phone call from my boss that said that his boss talked to him about me to see if I was happy, etc. because “someone told him that its common knowledge that I’m looking for employment outside of our company.” I was totally blown away because this is completely untrue. My boss said he told him that he would be surprised if that was true because we talk and he feels that I would have told him if I was looking outside the company. He’s right, I would have told him and asked to use him as a reference. I’m sure that I know who it is, but ultimately I’m not sure how much it matters. I plan on talking to my boss’ boss today, but he’s been in meetings most of the day.

I’m just blown away at how hurtful and vindictive people can be. If these two guys were different type of people and managers, my job could be in jeopardy. I didn’t ask to be moved here or to take work from her; it was the company. If she has issue with anyone, it should be with the management team, not me.

I just don’t know what to do and I feel terrible right now. I’ve never had anyone at any office I’ve ever worked with that I didn’t get along with so this petty stuff is new to me. It just seems so juvenile.

I’m so glad that all of my Intercot family is here to let people vent when they need to. I’m so upset and angry of what happened at work today, and I can’t talk to my husband until I get home tonight. Obviously, I can’t really talk to anyone around the office, so it’s really nice to know I have a place where I can go. Thanks for listening and sorry this is so long!

Disney4us2
02-17-2012, 04:28 PM
Jodi,
Hope it all works out well for you. Vent away.:grouphug:

VWL Mom
02-17-2012, 04:30 PM
So sorry you're going through this. Luckily, it sounds like you have a good relationship with your boss. When you meet with him just calmly explain what you just posted here. Don't accuse the other lady of spreading the rumor directly but I would say something like "I who would be vindictive enough to start a rumor like that".
Good luck!!

disneymom15
02-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Hope it works out! We're all here for you!
P.S. I didn't notice any typos:thumbsup:.
Jodie

cer
02-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Well, the typing looks really good.

Office politics STINKS!

Rant away!

DVC2004
02-17-2012, 04:46 PM
I'm sorry- I would be mad too! Some people just love to cause trouble or stir the pot. I agree with VWLmom, don't accuse her directly but that general statement of I don't know who would start a rumor like that?

It's great your supervisor knows you and you get along well. I am sure he has your back so to speak. It is so unprofessional of her to start rumors or say things like that...that's alot of nerve! Just keep doing what you are doing. People like that- eventually it comes to light who is saying or doing things.

If it happens again, definitely go to your supervisor again and possibly even HR...but supervisor first since you are on good terms. I think it's serious stuff when someone is saying or doing things that affect your professional reputation and livelihood. Good luck!

SBETigg
02-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Jodi, yes, rant away. What an awful situation for you. There's just no making sense of some people. I'm sorry, and I'm glad you have a good relationship with your boss to help out right now. But errrg! How frustrating.

Ian
02-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Ten or fifteen years ago this probably would have shocked me, but by now I've just seen so much from people that I can't be surprised anymore.

The American workplace has become a wasteland of talent and a breeding ground for petty, do-nothings who run around telling tales and trying to brown-nose their way to the top.

DizneyFreak2002
02-18-2012, 02:58 PM
Ten or fifteen years ago this probably would have shocked me, but by now I've just seen so much from people that I can't be surprised anymore.

The American workplace has become a wasteland of talent and a breeding ground for petty, do-nothings who run around telling tales and trying to brown-nose their way to the top.

Or locking themselves in their boss' office, but we won't go there (yes, this happened where I worked)...

Jodi, rant away... I think you feel the way majority of Americans feel about their work place today...

Dopey's Girl
02-18-2012, 04:52 PM
Rant on!

The office politics make me crazy too. I'm a very hard and dedicated worker(in 20 years of working I have worked at 2 companies. One in High School and college for 10 years and my current company for another 10) but refuse to play the games most people do. I have been passed up for promotions in the past because of it, but I leave my desk each day knowing I didn't compromise my integrity. It sounds like your boss knows this is just some petty person making up stories.

princessgirls
02-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Rant on!!

The work place has become a back stabbing mean spirited place.

Kind of like Survivor. The last man standing wins!

Great...I'm just not cut out like that.
It hurts when people are mean and vindictive, PERIOD!!

You have sacrificed for your job. You moved your family half way across the country.
Julie:mickey:

clausjo
02-20-2012, 01:17 PM
Thanks everyone. I spoke to my boss' boss and he told me in no uncertain terms that he knew what she was doing and they need to "manage her better than they have in the past." He acknowledged that they had previously placated her because she was essentially the only one that could do the job, but that's not the case any longer. It made me feel better about the situation in general, which is good. The worst part is that I broke down in his office - something I never, ever do. But he was good about it and let me do my thing.

Anyway, thanks to all for your support. Its crazy how juvenile people can be. I really do apprecaite all your supportive comments. :rocks: You guys are the best!

SBETigg
02-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Thanks everyone. I spoke to my boss' boss and he told me in no uncertain terms that he knew what she was doing and they need to "manage her better than they have in the past."

Well, breaking down is a little embarrassing maybe, but at least they know you care about your job. It's not really a bad thing. I'm sure they have seen that sort of thing lots of times. And great news that they are on to her. What a relief!

Disney4us2
02-20-2012, 04:35 PM
Jodi,

Glad they know what she was up to and will get better managing. Hopefully things will be better soon.

garymacd
02-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Sounds like you have a great boss and a great upline supervisor. A lesser person may have taken the false information as true and not confirmed the facts of the matter and made changes towards you.

I think you're in a good position with your company. I wouldn't worry about the breakdown in the office. I've dealt with that a few times and actually have felt better towards a person who can show their human, vulnerable side especially in my line of work. I also like to think that they left feeling better about their own situation and about me as a supervisor.

Keep going, don't let it get you down, and as Abner Doubleday said, "Don't take the World Serious!"