PDA

View Full Version : Bugs in April

hauntedmansiongirl
02-17-2012, 02:20 AM
Hello! We are going back to WDW in April and wondered if there are any bugs to worry about in April. We're asking because we have been in Sept for love bugs, Oct for Mosquitos and were in Mexico in Sept for locust season (that one was definitely the worst, but the love bugs can be pretty disgusting too!). We just want to be mentally prepared... Thanks so much! :mickey:

BrerGnat
02-17-2012, 08:44 AM
We went the first week of April 2012. No bugs to report.

I hate love bugs too...they are so annoying, so I know what you mean.

c&d
02-17-2012, 08:59 AM
We usually go the third week of April and I don't remember any bugs. We've been in September with the bugs all over everything. Yuck is all I have to say about that.

faline
02-17-2012, 09:43 AM
Actually, Florida has two love bug seasons per year - April/May and August/September. I think the most are toward the latter part of April and early May, ebbing the further into May you go. You may see just a few or you may see tons - depends on the year. The good news is that, while annoying, they are mostly harmless (except to the paint jobs on vehicles!)

hauntedmansiongirl
02-17-2012, 11:59 PM
Thanks so much for all of your info! I'm glad to know that Florida has two love bug seasons. Hopefully it will be in the early stages when we are there!

Faline, what do the love bugs do to a car's paint job? We've never had an issue so far but my DH is a car nut and always has many layers of wax on the paint- maybe that helped? :mickey:

faline
02-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Faline, what do the love bugs do to a car's paint job? We've never had an issue so far but my DH is a car nut and always has many layers of wax on the paint- maybe that helped? :mickey:

When they splatter against a car, they release an acidic substance which can damage the paint on vehicles. Keeping waxed helps. Removing the splattered bugs as soon as possible is important. Some folks use baby oil on the parts of the car most likely to be impacted by the critters to help make cleaning and removal easier.

hauntedmansiongirl
02-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Thanks so much Faline! I'll pass the info on to my DH!! :mickey: