PDA

View Full Version : WDW in August?

Mom on a Mission
02-15-2012, 04:45 PM
Hi all -- we're considering a trip at the end of the summer, the third or fourth week in August. Our kids are in high school now and taking them out of school isn't an option. Anyone ever been then? Is it brutally hot, crowded? Looking for some expert advice -- Thanks!

darthmacho
02-15-2012, 05:28 PM
It's a great question. I understand completely. I go in August now for the same reasons. We've done so in 2003, 2010, and are waiting to go in 2012. Here's my opinion:

1. Heat: The heat can be brutal. That being said, it's not unmanageable. If you plan for it being hot, and plan to get the outdoor stuff out of the way in the early mornings, affording you to spend hot or rainy afternoons inside and out of the heat, it's not too difficult to get through. It's all about how you manage your breaks. You can always use EMH and spend time at the pool.

2. Crowds: It's clear that the summer is not the least crowded time, but it's also not the most crowded either. The first two weeks of August are near peak, while the third week is average, and the last week can be decently thinned out. Like weather, crowds can be unpredictable at times so you never know. I find if you get out before Labor Day, you'll avoid that burst of a holiday crowd too.

3. Cost: The third week of August starts a "value season" which makes a big difference in how much money, and therefore how much time, we get to go. This year we're actually going for 14 days!

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please ask, and I'll do the best I can to answer from my experiences. :mickey:

SBETigg
02-15-2012, 07:05 PM
It is brutally hot and humid. It might be as hot and humid where you live in August, but most people are not outside in the heat as much as at WDW. It takes some planning, but is manageable as DarthMacho said. That said, my husband refuses to go in August anymore. The heat is just too much for him and it does slow you down and change the way you do WDW.

Our heat strategy was to get out and do things early in the morning and to take advantage of after dark hours/late EMH. We eat less when it's that hot out, but we prefer to have larger meals in the hottest part of the afternoon followed by some resort time instead of wasting the cooler evening hours in a restaurant. Also, we got to know which counter service places offered indoor seating and an extra chance to get out of the heat. Most importantly, use sunscreen and stay hydrated.

The crowds are manageable later in August, and really we've had some good times without big crowds at that time of year.

jillluvsdisney
02-15-2012, 07:21 PM
The humidity is brutal. You just have to prepare and accept that you will start sweating the second you step outside. If you care at all about makeup and hair, forget it. The best strategy is to start out early, take a break during the afternoon and the go out again at night. Hats, sunglasses and sunscreen are a must. Space your attractions between indoor and outdoor. Water, water, water.

olivegirl
02-15-2012, 08:14 PM
We always go to Disney the last 2 weeks in August and we LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!! Like the previous 2 posters, yes it is HOT and HUMID and the daily rainstorms are wild but QUICK!!!! As long as you have a game plan, early to rise to enjoy the parks. But then retreat back to your resort for enjoying the pool or maybe a quick nap to get refrershed, is what works for us!!!! We then continue back at the park when the sun is low in the sky!! If you plan on going full steam at the parks you are setting yourself up for a disaster!! Take it slow and enjoy all Disney has to offer!! Oh yes it can be done even in 98% humidity!!!!

sassafras
02-15-2012, 08:25 PM
I'm in total agreement with the first three responses you received. We went in August last year, and we pretty much handled things like they said. Go out early, back in in the afternoon, and back out by early evening. Even then, there were times the heat and humidity did me in. I am fair skinned and fair haired and the sun about did me in even with sunscreen and staying well hydrated. By the time we left, I said never again in August! Now, with time away from DW, I'd consider it again.:D

Mom on a Mission
02-15-2012, 08:34 PM
Thank you everyone!! We live in CT, so even though we think it's hot an humid, we know it's way worse in FLA than here ;-)

Luckily I love all your suggestions, because that is pretty much the way we've always done WDW. We've never been a go hard all day family. Much better to head back to the resort and relax for a few hours in the middle of the day.

I also like the idea of having the big meal in the middle of the day and not "wasting" night time inside eating. Great suggestion!

The start of "value season" is definitely a motivator for us. Our kids are 14 and 16 and this is probably our last family trip. We want to stay as long as possible -- although that probably wont be 14 days -- WOW!! But hopefully 8!

mydisneygirls
02-15-2012, 10:57 PM
We went the second week of Sept last year and the heat and humidity was as all have said about August. The minute we walked out of the hotel, it was instant sweat. We have always gone towards the end of Oct and the weather was perfect. Plan on going again late Sept this year. Can anyone tell me from past experience if Sept is as generally as bad as August or did we just experience unusual weather?

Pirate Granny
02-15-2012, 11:12 PM
I normally go in Sep...never bothered as much with heat and humidity as i did on the the august trip a few years ago...it poured every day, and the pools are closed during the thunderstorms (for good reason). Not sure I would take another trip in August, more due to rain, rather than hot/humid weather....Going in October this year...

mickeyman42
02-16-2012, 06:05 AM
we went last year, the last week of Aug and we were worried that it would be too humid for us, since coming from Nl we arn't used to humid, but it was quite nice. now was it hot, yes, and was it humid, oh my yes, but did it beat us down and make it impossible to enjoy ourselves, not a chance. we are going back this year at the same time and can't wait.

DVC2004
02-17-2012, 10:06 AM
We went a couple years ago in August, I want to say the third week, for the same reasons of avoiding taking the kids out of school.

Crowds weren't terrible, but I do remember it rained every day of our trip. Sometimes the short passing shower, and sometimes for hours. That was probably the biggest complaint from that time of year for us.

Auroring Good Time
02-20-2012, 12:14 PM
Hot and Humid. If you are prepared for being very hot and sticky, you will survive. Drink lots of water, don't pay too much attention to your hair and makeup and just have fun. It's not too crowded. Start early, take a break in the afternoon for the pool and a nap and back out in the evening.

dizneydeb22
02-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Thank you everyone!! We live in CT, so even though we think it's hot an humid, we know it's way worse in FLA than here ;-)

Luckily I love all your suggestions, because that is pretty much the way we've always done WDW. We've never been a go hard all day family. Much better to head back to the resort and relax for a few hours in the middle of the day.

I also like the idea of having the big meal in the middle of the day and not "wasting" night time inside eating. Great suggestion!

The start of "value season" is definitely a motivator for us. Our kids are 14 and 16 and this is probably our last family trip. We want to stay as long as possible -- although that probably wont be 14 days -- WOW!! But hopefully 8!

We also go the end of August. As all OP have said, planning is the key! And don't count out future family trips! Our nephews come with us every year and they are now 19, 20, and 21! They have been coming with us since they were 12! We have just as much fun as we did before! We will be there again in August 2012! Maybe we'll see you there!:fan: