PDA

View Full Version : Westminster Dog Show!!

Katzateer
02-14-2012, 09:56 AM
I was at the show yesterday and had a great time. Learned a few things that might help if any one decides to go next year.

I booked a room about 6 months ago and decided I wasn't happy with the price and the reviews I was getting about the hotel so decided to make it a day trip. Now I realize that was a mistake unless you are driving. taking the train I needed to leave NYC by 6:30 last night (got home at 9pm). There was one more train I could have taken but I don't like to take the last train of the night especially when traveling alone. Amtrak is normally on schedule but if not.......

I got to Penn station at 10am the show started at 8am but again taking the train that was the way it worked out. Madison Square Garden is in the same building as the train station so it was an easy walk to the show.

I was surprised a lot of people were just arriving. I skipped all the vendors and went straight to the benching area to check out the dogs. It was SO crowded in the area the dogs are groomed and crated. The show people were for the most part VERY friendly and let you pet the dogs unless they were being groomed forthe ring. The dogs LOVED the attention. You would think after being touched by hundreds of people they would not be as friendly but a lot of them would stick out their nose to you when walking by. I was in dog-loving heaven!

Some people were commenting on how crowded it was and that Martha Stewart was walking in the area with a lot of people surrounding her. I didn't see her.

When I went into the show area it was open seating. The ticket I had was for the night show as far as reserved seats.

Watching the judging was fun. A different area for the smaller breeds was also fun to go through and watch the tiny pups being shown ( I was standing next to the ring about 2feet from the dogs!). The people aren't as friendly with the toy breeds. Not much petting allowed and the owners didn't really want to talk to the non show people. But the dogs were adorable.

Katzateer
02-14-2012, 10:06 AM
Some tips now that I have gone-

If you are going, don't miss the evening events. That is the real show. They only show the dogs from 8am to 2 pm and then from 8-10 pm. There is a long afternoon break I wasn't aware of. You can walk around after 2pm the benching area but a lot of th dogs are crated and sleeping and the owners leave or are getting cranky.

Since I was there 10am to 6 pm it wasn't really worth the price of the ticket. I did enjoy it though.

The vendors gave away dog food samples(Purina) and a lot of rescue and working service dog booths (fundraising) which I thought was nice.

It was fun can't wait to see Best of Show on TV tonight!

SBETigg
02-14-2012, 03:37 PM
Great tips! Allergies usually keep me out of such events, but I risked it for a local show once and I would probably consider it for Westminster too. If I do go, I would stay the night. I love NY and any excuse to stay overnight there is a good one for me.

Weird that the Toy group people are not as friendly overall. Worried about the tiny dogs being more easily hurt, or more easily nipping at strangers, I wonder? Some of the toy breeds are high strung, also with terriers. I was disappointed the the Pekingese was headed to BIS, actually. Not a big fan. I don't have a favorite yet. We'll see what tonight brings.

NJGIRL
02-14-2012, 09:47 PM
I have never gone to a dog show, but used to be on the cat show circuit for the South Jersey/ Philadelphia area. I went for my local shelter, we were able to bring cats from the shelter to be adopted. Most of the cat show people were crazy and you couldn't touch their cats. lol Most had signs on the cages saying somthing like they would break your hands if you touched their cat.

Katzateer
02-14-2012, 10:06 PM
I have been to one cat show and I agree - it is really different! You don't touch their cats!

The other dog shows I have been to I don't think the people were as nice as the ones I met at the Westminster show. Everyone was so proud of their dogs and so glad to be there and it was nice to see the enthusiastic people and dogs.

SBETigg
02-14-2012, 10:30 PM
I'm cheering for Fifi, the Doberman Pinscher.