PDA

View Full Version : Going Home for the Holidays Day 6

buzznwoodysmom
02-13-2012, 11:43 AM
Day 6
Sunday, December 25th! Merry Christmas!!!!

Today the boys were up early to see if Santa had come. Of course they each found a small pile of gifts. They both got an ipod touch, earbuds, an otterbox, and tiny stockings with itunes gift cards. Once Santa gifts were opened we got ready and headed out for Christmas Mass at the Contemporary.

We decided to call a taxi just to make sure we weren’t late in getting there. We got to the Contemporary so quickly that I was almost embarrassed for taking a taxi. LOL. We could have easily made it in time by taking the boat. We attended the Christmas mass, and then headed to Chef Mickey’s for our Christmas breakfast. This was DH’s request. He loves the breakfast at Chef Mickey’s and the last few trips we’ve opted for Ohana’s for our character breakfast. We had a wonderful breakfast, and a great time with the characters. It was definitely a great start to Christmas day.

After breakfast we headed to Animal Kingdom. We picked this park for Christmas day because it’s usually the least crowded park. All week we kept commenting on how surprised we were with the lack of the huge “holiday crowds”. Well today they all showed up, looked like everyone got the memo that it was Christmas in Disney! Even with lots of people we were still shocked at how much we were able to do in such a short amount of time. We didn’t get to the park till at least 2 hours after the park opened. I think we arrived around 11, maybe a bit later. We went straight to get FPs for EE. We got our FPs and then noticed the line was only 20 minutes! We hopped in line and were off on our expedition in no time. I don’t remember the order in which we did things, but I know we road Dinosaur, the boys played in the Dino play area, we rode Primeval Whirl, watched Festival of the Lion King, rode EE again, saw a few characters in their Christmas gear, shopped in a few shops (I love all the shops in this park). I think we may have gotten snacks at some point. The lines were all short, but getting around was becoming tough because of the amount of people there. With all of us satisfied with our time in AK we decided to head back to WL to get ready for our Christmas dinner. Upon leaving we noticed signs out stating that MK was closed due to reaching capacity.

Back at the lodge we hung out in our room, the boys got on the laptop and started getting apps and downloading music from the laptop for their new ipods. We spent some more time in “our living room”. DH and I had a drink at the pool bar while the boys played on the beach. There were lots of people swimming, but the boys didn’t feel like getting wet, so they just played on the beach. We just hung out until it was time for dinner.

It was so nice to have dinner at our resort. No hassle of getting there, no crowds to fight, we didn’t have to leave an hour early. I was so glad we picked WCC for Christmas dinner. Our meal was great, but we actually prefer the regular menu. The Christmas menu was good, but not as good as their usual skillet. The boys had a blast here as usual. Usually when we eat here it’s obvious that lots of people have been here before and know all the antics. Today it appeared that most of the people dining with us had never been here before. It was fun to watch the surprised looks on the faces of our fellow diners. However, I could tell there were a few people who were annoyed and would have preferred a quiet Christmas dinner. After dinner the plan was to go to MK.

Back in the room to freshen up before heading back out I decided to call the front desk to make sure MK was open again. We were told it was and off we went. When we got to the boat dock it was so full of people heading that way that we decided to just stay at the lodge. We had had such a great, stress free, quiet day that we didn’t want to end it fighting large crowds. Instead we headed to the beach and watched the water parade, then spent the rest of the night at the lodge. It had been such a quiet, relaxing day, and we were so glad to have decided to keep it that way.

Back in the room I decided to start packing a few things. At this point we had been telling the boys we might, or might not, stay an extra night. We kept saying that dad didn’t know if he’d be able to take another day off of work so if work was too busy we’d have to go home instead of staying the extra night. So while we packed they were so sad to be leaving that we decided to let them know we were going to stay the extra night. We put a few things in the car before calling it a night.

All in all it was a very nice way to spend Christmas Day. Looking back it seems we didn’t do much today, but it was just a really, really nice day. I was worried that the parks would be too packed to be enjoyable. And even though we said from the beginning that we were just going to go with the flow and not let crowds get us down, I didn’t want Christmas day to be a mess. Our plan of Christmas Mass, breakfast at Chef Mickey’s, Animal Kingdom Park, and dinner at the resort turned out to be a wonderful plan. I wanted to eliminate the usual stress of Christmas at home. I have to pat myself on the back because I accomplished just that. We had a totally stress free Christmas!!!!!

sgdisney
02-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Sounds like a wondeful Christmas Day. I've often wondered what it would be like spending Christmas Day at WDW and if I'd miss the traditions that we have established over the years.

faline
02-13-2012, 12:52 PM
I think you made a very wise choice in not going to the Magic Kingdon that evening! What a lovely Christmas day!

mouseketeer mom
02-13-2012, 02:32 PM
Did it feel like Christmas? I can't even imagine this. When we were there for both Easter and Thanksgiving, it never actually "felt" like the holiday. That bugged me a little. The only holiday that felt like a holiday to me at WDW was Halloween!! I'm happy it was a stress free holiday for you guys. Beautiful!

buzznwoodysmom
02-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Did it feel like Christmas? I can't even imagine this. When we were there for both Easter and Thanksgiving, it never actually "felt" like the holiday. That bugged me a little. The only holiday that felt like a holiday to me at WDW was Halloween!! I'm happy it was a stress free holiday for you guys. Beautiful!

It kinda did, and kinda didn't. Not sure how to explain it. I think it was just a bit too warm to feel like Christmas, but then with all the decorations and being at WL it definitely looked like Christmas. I think had the weather been a bit cooler it would have fully felt like Christmas. We've had trips for Thanksgiving that had plenty of cool/cold weather, but this particular Christmas week was really warm.

I wanted to add that being from Southern Louisiana, a warm Christmas is nothing new to us. We've had plenty of Christmases that felt way too warm, so being warm in WDW wasn't really surprising or offputting to us, like it might be for those from up north used to a cold Christmas.

Suz36
02-17-2012, 11:04 PM
Another perfect day!

vizsla
02-18-2012, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the report.

forever a child
02-18-2012, 11:52 AM
I have really enjoyed your trip reports. Thank you for sharing how you handled the Christmas crowds. We will be there this Christmas and I wasn't sure what to expect...but looking forward to it! Thanks again! :santa: