PDA

View Full Version : Small World To Receive an Interactive Queue?

DizneyFreak2002
02-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Well, here we go again... NextGen interactive queues may be claiming another victim, this time Small world... Concept art has been leaked on a blog site, Stitch Kingdom... Looking at the pictures, you kind of get reminded of the tacky video in Spaceship Earth descent...

Now this is only a rumor obviously, nothing confirmed... But, this brings up a good discussion topic: how do you all feel if an interactive queue comes to Small World???

Melanie
02-11-2012, 11:49 AM
:bang:

I wish they'd put the character dolls in at Magic Kingdom before they waste time/$$$ on this.

Basket Mommy
02-11-2012, 12:04 PM
I don't mind the interactive queues, really. My only problem with them is that we never get to enjoy them and they're a distraction for my kids. We always go during Value season, so we rarely stand in line more than 20 minutes. My kids do love the games in the queue at Soarin', and they keep us occupied while we're waiting, but a lot of times we do the Fastpass to avoid standing in the lines.

BrerGnat
02-11-2012, 12:12 PM
Wow, so coincidence that this comes on the heels of the Small World interactive app for Apple products?

ronandjulie
02-11-2012, 12:18 PM
Interactive is cool the first and maybe the second time you visit the attraction. Who still goes through the HM interactive area after a few times? I hate sounding negative but it just seems like a waste. I would rather see them spend that money on a couple of coats of paint on some attractions instead of the interactive areas.

Fangorn
02-11-2012, 01:26 PM
I wish they'd put the character dolls in at Magic Kingdom before they waste time/$$$ on this.

Mel, I concur. My 4 year old granddaughter loves sitting on my lap and watching a YouTube video of IASW at Disneyland with the character dolls. Needless to say, I've now virtually ridden this several hundred times. Two weeks ago I was at Magic Kingdom and rode IASW there. Huge differences in the ride all around, and really lame in comparison to Disneyland. The character dolls would definitely "plus" the ride.

Steve

TinkerbellT421
02-11-2012, 01:29 PM
Interactive is cool the first and maybe the second time you visit the attraction. Who still goes through the HM interactive area after a few times? I hate sounding negative but it just seems like a waste. I would rather see them spend that money on a couple of coats of paint on some attractions instead of the interactive areas.
Agreed!! DBF and I did the interactive queue twice when we were there, only did it the second time because we were with a friend of ours and she hadn't seen it yet. Other than that we probably won't be doing it again. They get old fast. But I guess it could be because we don't go with kids either

I agree by ten million Mel!!

DizneyFreak2002
02-11-2012, 01:31 PM

Imagine if they spent the billion dollars on real attractions instead of this NextGen garbage???

Wow, so coincidence that this comes on the heels of the Small World interactive app for Apple products?

See, this is my fear... Disney is gung-ho on these apps for smart phones... I'm beginning to wonder if they are thinking the best way to give guests great experiences is if you play on your phone while in the queue... Technology is good, but in this aspect, I think it is a terrible use of it...

I saw the Pooh queue and HM queue for the first time last year... I think they did a good job... But, what it needed??? I think the interactive elements can be done without, just build a better themed queue without the interactive nonsense... I dread their plans for Peter Pan's Flight queue...

TinkerbellT421
02-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Imagine if they spent the billion dollars on real attractions instead of this NextGen garbage???

See, this is my fear... Disney is gung-ho on these apps for smart phones... I'm beginning to wonder if they are thinking the best way to give guests great experiences is if you play on your phone while in the queue... Technology is good, but in this aspect, I think it is a terrible use of it...

I saw the Pooh queue and HM queue for the first time last year... I think they did a good job... But, what it needed??? I think the interactive elements can be done without, just build a better themed queue without the interactive nonsense... I dread their plans for Peter Pan's Flight queue...

1) Could you imagine!?!? Ahhh the great ideas I'm sure we could think of with that money...lol

2) Ugh, I have a problem and annoyance with people constantly on their phones while they are walking around in their little bubble blocking your path when your standing there and can't get around them now!

3) Exactly. We didn't even go out of our way to see the Pooh queue. The HM queue was a little annoying when there was 8 kids blocking the area playing with the interactive queue and there was no one in front of them and they are letting everyone in and your standing there and can't get by because the pathways are extremely skinny in width so you are stuck there. Is it me? Am I just being a negative Nelly?? lol

Ian
02-11-2012, 02:10 PM

I wish they'd put the character dolls in at Magic Kingdom before they waste time/$$$ on this.:thumbsup:

DizneyFreak2002
02-11-2012, 02:50 PM

Natalie, I just caught this from the article:

Taking advantage of the NextGen infrastructure in which guests will be able to personalize their experiences at Walt Disney World, the “it’s a small world” interactivity begins at home. Using their computer or smart phone, guests will design their own “it’s a small world doll.” When they visit the attraction at the Magic Kingdom, monitors placed throughout the attraction will virtually ride along with the guest (or the monitors may be installed in the vehicles, this is an unknown at this time). Guests will also be able to send e-cards spotlighting their virtual trip aboard the happiest cruise to have ever sailed the seven seas.OK, so now does this finally convince anyone that TDO is made up of out of touch, clueless _______________ (yes I edited this myself :) )

Melanie
02-11-2012, 03:07 PM
I'm all for planning, doing research at home, etc., but if it gets to the point where we have to check every single attraction before we leave home to make sure we don't miss some 'cool' element when we get there, then blaaaaaaaaah!!! It's going to get to the point where you have to be a rocket scientist to go to WDW. Too. Much. Thinking. It's vacation, for goodness sakes.

BrerGnat
02-11-2012, 06:00 PM
I am not a fan of the interactive queues. I still haven't even bothered to see the HM one OR the Pooh one. Just don't care about it.

I understand Disney wanting to jump on the "handheld, interactive" bandwagon, but they need to reign it in a little. In a few years, I believe people will be "over it" as far as apps, social media, and having your phone in your face all day goes. I sense the overkill of it all lingering in the air. Or, maybe it's just me starting to get old. ;)

PirateLover
02-11-2012, 06:17 PM
I don't feel strongly either way about the interactive queues in general. The only one I've ever really personally enjoyed, as a 20-something with no kids, was Soarin'. I really had fun doing the group games the one time I waited in the regular queue. You didn't have to leave the line so to speak to partipate and all ages were involved. However, I think it is totally unnecessary for IASW. I thought the main point of these interactive queues was to lesson wait time or at least make it more enjoyable, but there is NEVER a wait for this ride! 90% of the time it's a walk on. Waste of $$$.

cuteduck223
02-14-2012, 10:40 AM
How many toddlers have smart phones? I better head to the store before September and get DD3 one. Otherwise, will she miss out??

PopPhan
02-14-2012, 11:00 AM
If they keep doing all this for iPads, iPhones (i.e. Apple products,) Android (except that they seem to be Android averse for most things!!!!,) etc., there will be no need for anyone to even GO to a Disney Park...You could have the whole experience without ever leaving your home!!

Then they could save tons of money by shuttering the parks, getting rid of all the CMs and selling off the properties!

BTW -- Just in case anyone would think different...that was sarcasm!!!!

As Mr. Horse would say, in the old Ren & Stimpy cartoons (not Disney!!), "No sir, I don't like it!!"

badkitty
02-14-2012, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Taking advantage of the NextGen infrastructure in which guests will be able to personalize their experiences at Walt Disney World, the “it’s a small world” interactivity begins at home. Using their computer or smart phone, guests will design their own “it’s a small world doll.” When they visit the attraction at the Magic Kingdom, monitors placed throughout the attraction will virtually ride along with the guest (or the monitors may be installed in the vehicles, this is an unknown at this time). Guests will also be able to send e-cards spotlighting their virtual trip aboard the happiest cruise to have ever sailed the seven seas.

Ew. I don't want a video monitor on the ride with me or everyone in the boat with their phone or pad screen light up throughout the ride.

Goofster
02-14-2012, 12:30 PM
[COLOR="Navy"]

Ew. I don't want a video monitor on the ride with me or everyone in the boat with their phone or pad screen light up throughout the ride.

I didn't even think about that. That would be annoying.

BrerSchultzy
02-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Whoever is green-lighting this stuff is short-sighted and uninformed. The funny thing about "smart phones" is that everyone who has one thinks everyone else has one. Not all of us do. In fact, I think I have two family members with them, and dozens without. And by the way, isn't WDW supposed to be a place where you escaped all that stuff...a "TIMELESS" land of make-believe. These parasitic pieces of technology have so attached themselves to our souls that we can't even leave them behind in WDW.

BrerSchultzy
02-19-2012, 09:48 AM
And, to be clear, I understand that one of the thngs that has always made Disney the best is that Disney has always embraced the latest and greatest technology....it's just that the guests were never expected to be the ones providing the technology.

waymickey
02-19-2012, 10:50 PM
Whoever is green-lighting this stuff is short-sighted and uninformed. The funny thing about "smart phones" is that everyone who has one thinks everyone else has one. Not all of us do. In fact, I think I have two family members with them, and dozens without. And by the way, isn't WDW supposed to be a place where you escaped all that stuff...a "TIMELESS" land of make-believe. These parasitic pieces of technology have so attached themselves to our souls that we can't even leave them behind in WDW.

:thumbsup:

darthmacho
02-20-2012, 04:45 PM
The thing that worries me about these interactive apps? Well for one thing, when we go out to eat here at home, my wife and kids ignore my attempts at dinner conversation and human interaction while using their devices, now they'll be able to ignore me while in line at WDW too!
So much for family togetherness and keeping lines of communication open. Maybe if I'm lucky, one of them will shoot me a text? :(

Mousemates
02-20-2012, 05:16 PM

While I agree with the sentiment to a point, I also realize the inevitability of the new technology taking hold and becoming the norm. While it might only be 2 out of 24 of your family members who have a smart phone today, my guess is that within a couple years it will be much closer to a fifty percent break. And remember, you can still personally "forget your cell phone" anytime you want (experience speaking here) if the feeling of being technologically unbound exceeds the enjoyment you get from the interactive queues.

disneynarula
02-25-2012, 04:23 AM
I am a bit out of it I think? You need to have a smart phone to use the interactive aspect?

DizneyFreak2002
02-26-2012, 07:44 PM
I am a bit out of it I think? You need to have a smart phone to use the interactive aspect?

From what has been rumored, no... The talk is you would be able to design your own doll at home, then your RFID chip in your room key/park pass would detect your doll creation and somehow project your creation in the ride...

An app was released for It's A Small World but as of now it has nothing to do with any interactive queue or NextGen coming to the ride...

Melanie
02-26-2012, 07:50 PM
From what has been rumored, no... The talk is you would be able to design your own doll at home, then your RFID chip in your room key/park pass would detect your doll creation and somehow project your creation in the ride...

Oy.

DizneyFreak2002
02-26-2012, 07:58 PM

An app was released for It's A Small World but as of now it has nothing to do with any interactive queue or NextGen coming to the ride...

Oy.

And why do I have the feeling that this is what the interactive queue will be as well??? if they are doing this at Test Track (designing your own car), the Small World queue may very well wind up the same way, especially IF (and let me stress if) they allow you to design a doll at home... Can't make Little Jimmy cry now since he didn't make one at home, can you????

jpcns50
03-08-2012, 02:56 PM
As another poster mentioned, the thing that scares me about all of the interactive stuff in the que lines is when there is no one ahead of the person still playing with the game....I understand a few seconds, but I was there in November and watched a group of kids play the Space Mountain game for about 3 mintues before someone finally asked to go by them....just seems all this stuff could lead to more frustrating things happening in lines for rides!:soapbox:

DizneyFreak2002
03-08-2012, 05:13 PM
As another poster mentioned, the thing that scares me about all of the interactive stuff in the que lines is when there is no one ahead of the person still playing with the game....I understand a few seconds, but I was there in November and watched a group of kids play the Space Mountain game for about 3 mintues before someone finally asked to go by them....just seems all this stuff could lead to more frustrating things happening in lines for rides!:soapbox:

You snooze you lose... I pass them up... Did it in October without hesitation... People wanna stop and play video games, let them... I'm not letting myself be held up...