PDA

View Full Version : Little Red Scene to be Replaced

DizneyFreak2002
02-10-2012, 11:09 AM
According to the Disney Parks Blog, a savannah scene will be replacing the Little Red scene in Kilimanjaro Safaris... And will feature zebras...

Remember when the rumor broke about the poaching storyline being removed, well, here ya go... :)

wildernesslady
02-10-2012, 11:39 AM
That will be a welcome change.

DizneyRox
02-10-2012, 01:14 PM
There's still a Little Red Scene? I thought it went dark a long time ago. Can't remember the last time I saw it, and I haven't even been to the park for over a year and a half now.

DizneyFreak2002
02-10-2012, 02:08 PM
There's still a Little Red Scene? I thought it went dark a long time ago. Can't remember the last time I saw it, and I haven't even been to the park for over a year and a half now.

It was still there, the finale of the safari... Now it will become a watering hole... Supposedly by the fall.... I like the change over...

Melanie
02-10-2012, 02:13 PM

Yep. Still there. I know you don't follow our Twitter ;), but I just tweeted Little Red from my ride about an hour ago. :elephant:

www.twitter.com/INTERCOT

DizneyFreak2002
02-10-2012, 10:13 PM
Yep. Still there. I know you don't follow our Twitter ;)
, but I just tweeted Little Red from ride about an hour ago. :elephant:

I need to start following Intercot's Twitter if you are posting pictures of Animal Kingdom, my favorite Disney theme park...

Melanie
02-10-2012, 10:16 PM
I need to start following Intercot's Twitter if you are posting pictures of Animal Kingdom, my favorite Disney theme park...

I was there all morning, posting away. :)

DizneyFreak2002
02-10-2012, 10:24 PM
I was there all morning, posting away. :)

:thedolls:

Mel is not my fav mod anymore!!! Lol.. j/k Mel :)

Anyway, back on topic, with this change, i wonder if Wilson will survive and if so, how he will be implemented...

TinkerbellT421
02-10-2012, 10:49 PM
:thumbsup: that would be a good change. Hope it's changed for when we are there in December.

Thanks for the info DizneyFreak!:mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
02-11-2012, 12:17 AM
:thumbsup: that would be a good change. Hope it's changed for when we are there in December.

Thanks for the info DizneyFreak!:mickey:

Rumor says by fall so you should have it in December... and you are more than welcome...

Melanie
02-11-2012, 08:59 AM
Happy to see the attraction will remain open through the refurb! Here's the quote from the Disney Parks Blog:

Beginning this spring, the Kilimanjaro Safaris attraction will undergo some changes to give guests an additional opportunity to see more of their favorite animals, specifically zebra. To do so, Walt Disney Imagineering will make some creative changes to the last scene in the attraction by removing the Audio-Animatronics “Little Red” elephant and related set pieces. This area will then be reconstructed as savannah space and feature a new watering hole for live animals.

This enhancement is scheduled to begin this spring, and be completed by fall 2012. And don’t worry, the attraction will remain operational during the adjustment.

Dopey's Girl
02-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Yippee!!! It was cute for a while, but it's so tired now. You can tell that the CM's are over it too by the way they "perform" the script.

We were on a few years back with my dad in his ECV. It was late in the day and we were the only people in the ride vehicle. We told the CM that he didn't have to do the Little Red script and I thought he was going to kiss us. He was really excited just to talk about the animals and chat with us. It was a lot more fun that way I have to admit!

JPL
02-11-2012, 10:55 AM
The Little Red Script was a watered down version from day 1. The original was suppose to really drive home the point by showing a carcass of Little Red's Mother to show the real effects of poaching. Disney felt that it was too disturbing so they changed it. They continued to remove effects from the storyline like the moving Jeep that would fire on your vehicle and the plane at the end. I'm glad they are finally realizing that seeing the animals is the reason people go on the ride and more oppurtunies to see them is much better than a watered down tired story.

ronandjulie
02-11-2012, 11:05 AM
About time. The Jungle Cruise finish was lame!

EeyoresBestFriend
02-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Thrilled to hear it!

Like others, it just seemed wrong at the end ~ like a half hearted attempt to 'theme park ride' the tour.

LOVE the idea of it totally becoming a Safari! :thumbsup:

PopPhan
02-13-2012, 08:27 AM
Nobody has mentioned this, but I wonder what the new script will be when this is removed...Perhaps just information about the animals and their habitat and no more poaching sermon? Hmmmm....that would take away from what the ride was 'teaching' wouldn't it?

Bass T-bone
02-13-2012, 10:58 AM
that would take away from what the ride was 'teaching' wouldn't it?

... just like so many other extinct rides from EPCOT... hmmm...

DNS
02-13-2012, 12:18 PM
I'm a little sad for it to go. I thought it was a cute little twist.

seanyred
02-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Nobody has mentioned this, but I wonder what the new script will be when this is removed...Perhaps just information about the animals and their habitat and no more poaching sermon? Hmmmm....that would take away from what the ride was 'teaching' wouldn't it?

The problem with the "poaching sermon" is that it actually ends up desensitizing not educating the guest (especially younger guests). If people learn more about the animals themselves they will have a better appreciation for the animals. The teaching could still be there through learning more about the animals themselves.

Stu29573
02-13-2012, 01:47 PM
Ok, I know I'm really in the minority here, but I really wish they would do some kind of "show" instead of just dumping some zebras on us (not literally, but you know what I mean). I agree that the Little Red bit had gotten stale, but the truck zooming over the bumps and around the geysers and stuff was a fun way to end a very slow ride. It sounds like now we are just getting the Disney version of "Lion Country Safari..." (if anyone remembers that place)

dnickels
02-13-2012, 04:44 PM
The problem with the "poaching sermon" is that it actually ends up desensitizing not educating the guest (especially younger guests)

Is that an actual study-based fact or is it just a personal observation? :confused: I'm not in the psychology field or anything and maybe you are so you may know better than me. I get that people can be desensitized to violence by seeing it over and over but I'd find it really hard to believe that if you take 100 kids and show them the 'dead' mommy elephant and take another 100 kids and show them the current version that the 100 kids who saw the dead elephant would be the group that end up being less bothered by poaching.

Ian
02-13-2012, 08:19 PM
The Little Red Script was a watered down version from day 1. The original was suppose to really drive home the point by showing a carcass of Little Red's Mother to show the real effects of poaching. Disney felt that it was too disturbing so they changed it. They continued to remove effects from the storyline like the moving Jeep that would fire on your vehicle and the plane at the end. I'm glad they are finally realizing that seeing the animals is the reason people go on the ride and more oppurtunies to see them is much better than a watered down tired story.Right, once they (in typically fashon) starting stripping away the supporting portions of the story in the name of saving a few bucks the whole thing just ended up feeling really disjointed and poorly strung together.

It was like, "Welcome aboard, 8 second bit about keeping an eye out for poachers, sight seeing, sight seeing, sight seeing, Warden Matua mumbling something about a red something, sight seeing, sight seeing, sight seeing, more mumbling Warden Matua, sight seeing, sight seeing, sight seeing, OH NO THEY GOT LITTLE RED, SWEVE, BOUNCE, ACCELERATE, roar past a Jeep with an elephant's rear end sticking out of it, the end."

Most guests who had never seen it in its original format were probably like, "Wait ... what happened? :confused:"

AXOAlum
02-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Most guests who had never seen it in its original format were probably like, "Wait ... what happened? :confused:"

:ditto:

We used to wonder what the poor CM standing "guard" at the jeep had done wrong to get put on that duty!

I am an animal rights advocate. I have been a vegetarian for 19 of my 38 years, and both our kids are being raised vegetarian. I believe wholeheartedly in educating people about the importance of conservation. All that said, I have always thought this was the LAMEST story line they could run about poaching. It was done in such an adventurous manner that it made it hard to accept any lines about preventing poaching, and almost made it seem like something fun (from the viewpoint of helping the warden).

While I do not believe you have to put anything gruesome out to prove a point (I would be most disturbed for my very sensitive kids to see this), there are better ways to educate guests. (Getting off soapbox now... :soapbox:)

mickeys_princess_mom
02-13-2012, 11:47 PM
I'm a little sad for it to go. I thought it was a cute little twist.

I'll join you on this one. Another change. I really am fond of the traditional things, and it just seems like a lot of changes snowballing right now. I don't handle these well!

cuteduck223
02-14-2012, 10:33 AM
Ok, riding around and looking at animals...fun. ANY sort of story to get you even slightly more engaged...more fun. Thats one of those Disney things that i'm sad to see go. It doesn't even have to be about poachers. I love getting told i'm going on a 2 week safari. i want to believe it. Any story is better than no story. :( I guess I'll just go live on the jungle cruise. :blush:

Stu29573
02-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Ok, riding around and looking at animals...fun. ANY sort of story to get you even slightly more engaged...more fun. Thats one of those Disney things that i'm sad to see go. It doesn't even have to be about poachers. I love getting told i'm going on a 2 week safari. i want to believe it. Any story is better than no story. :( I guess I'll just go live on the jungle cruise. :blush:

Agreed. I think I'll move into that little shack across from the dock on JC...:thumbsup:

mickeys_princess_mom
02-14-2012, 10:07 PM
I'll sleep in the back of the truck and keep an eye on Little Red! :camp:

darthmacho
02-15-2012, 02:48 PM
No one has mentioned this, but does this also solve the issue of what to do with the zebras, which have been rumored to be aggressive towards the other animals?

Also, I'm not sure if this would be feasible, but I would love to see them have a larger wildebeest herd at some point in the ride that would give you the impression that the great migration was going on. Perhaps they could have 30-40 of them. I'm guessing there would be a lot of issues involving that idea, and rules against having too many animals. I thought it would be cool though. :D