PDA

View Full Version : The Voice

Melanie
02-06-2012, 03:39 PM
So I kept my promise and DVRd the show last night and just now watched. I really liked it. That bit at the end with Christina and Tony Lucca was cute. She obviously didn't recognize him until he got a little closer as he was walking by.

It broke my heart that one pitchy guy that didn't make it. :( I know he wasn't good enough, but they sure do set up these stories to tug at your heartstrings.

So someone please explain to me how it works once the 12 person teams are set. Is it kinda like how the X Factor was set up?

PirateLover
02-06-2012, 06:39 PM
After the judges have filled their teams they move onto battle rounds. The judges work with their contestants and then match them up against each other. The contestants have a "sing off" in
a boxing ring. They use celebrity advisors in these rounds too. I think they already announced who they'll be this season but I forget who they were. The judges decide the battle winners. After that it moves onto your more typical competition style show where the audience gets to vote.

Dopey's Girl
02-08-2012, 10:16 PM
I was wondering how it worked too. I didn't watch last season, but have been sucked in this year. The backstories are really interesting. I like it better than Idol. I like that the judges can't see them first. I think it makes it more about the talent, less about how they look it how old they may be.

tinkerbelle75
03-14-2012, 04:52 PM
I was so into this show last year, liking it pretty well this year, until today. As Juliet Simms (who I really don't find charming at all) was performing last week, I instantly recognized her boyfriend (He's Andy Biersack, the lead singer of Black Veil Brides). This morning, I happened on a CeeLo Green interview. Guess who one of his favorite bands right now is? Yep..Black Veil Brides. Her comment about not knowing if she was going to be able to afford to eat made me sick, considering that her boyfriend's band has the #1merchandise sold by Hot Topic in the last couple of years and has sold several hundred thousand albums. I won't look at the show the same way ever again. Also, anybody recognize Jordis Unga? She was on Rockstar: INXS.

PirateLover
03-14-2012, 08:06 PM
I was so into this show last year, liking it pretty well this year, until today. As Juliet Simms (who I really don't find charming at all) was performing last week, I instantly recognized her boyfriend (He's Andy Biersack, the lead singer of Black Veil Brides). This morning, I happened on a CeeLo Green interview. Guess who one of his favorite bands right now is? Yep..Black Veil Brides. Her comment about not knowing if she was going to be able to afford to eat made me sick, considering that her boyfriend's band has the #1merchandise sold by Hot Topic in the last couple of years and has sold several hundred thousand albums. I won't look at the show the same way ever again. Also, anybody recognize Jordis Unga? She was on Rockstar: INXS.
The Voice doesn't hide the fact that they actively go after "known" vocalists who haven't hit it big. Jamar was an American Idol contestant who didn't make the finals, and a few others have had previous chances. I don't necessarily think you can judge Juliet's comments by her boyfriend's band's recent success. Selling T-shirts and albums does not automatically make you rich and famous. There are a lot of people in between who have to get paid, then it splits between the band, and whose to really know how much there is to go around? And I really don't think Cee-Lo advanced her just because he likes her boyfriend's band. Everyone has different tastes. She's not my favorite, but I preferred her in that battle.

tinkerbelle75
03-15-2012, 06:11 AM
Andy became a millionaire at the age of 19, so yeah, he happens to be rich and famous. That's a far cry from not being able to eat. They made some YouTube videos and took off from there. They have a HUGE following now, basically the new KISS due to some ingenious marketing.
I realize they go for established musicians, that's not my problem with the whole thing- it's making drama where there really is none to get ratings (for the Voice) and votes (for Juliet).

PirateLover
03-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Andy became a millionaire at the age of 19, so yeah, he happens to be rich and famous. That's a far cry from not being able to eat. They made some YouTube videos and took off from there. They have a HUGE following now, basically the new KISS due to some ingenious marketing.
I realize they go for established musicians, that's not my problem with the whole thing- it's making drama where there really is none to get ratings (for the Voice) and votes (for Juliet).
Well then forgive my ignorance on his particular case as I have never even heard of him or his band. I just happen to know struggling musicians who had record deals and even songs placed in TV shows and nation-wide tours but were still basically living hand to mouth, so that's the perspective I was coming from. Anyway, all of these reality shows are built around drama. It used to bug me when American Idol tried to do this stuff but now I just realize it's par for the course on these programs.