PDA

View Full Version : Dining Plan Questions!

antngoof89
02-03-2012, 04:15 AM
Hello All! I'm currently in the very early stages of planning a Disney trip in May for Star Wars weekend for me and my girlfriend. The trip will also be helping set the mood for a wedding proposal! :party: I have a few questions regarding this situation.

1. I have found out it is VERY inexpensive to go in May, which is why we are going then. I am going to pay for just the room so that I can take a little more time to pay off the trip. My Mom told me that her and my Dad's anniversary trip they did not originally buy the dining plan and were offered it at Check In. Is that still true? I'm not sure on the dining plan yet and this will be a huge factor into whether I do it or not.

2. Where is the best place to have servers interact in the wedding proposal? If we do the dining plan, I am considering Le Cellier for Dinner.

3. I am considering these places as our Table Service Meals for a first trip as a couple and a special occassion trip!: Hoop Dee Doo Revue, Whispering Canyon Cafe, 50's Primetime, Le Cellier, and Raglan Road.

How do those dining choices sound and does anyone have any ideas for Disney Proposals?

BayLaker25
02-03-2012, 08:20 AM
Well first thing you have to think about is what your girlfriend likes...doing it at one of the restaurants that you mentioned may make a bigger deal then you want or it may, I think, ruin how special it will be. I personally knew my wife wouldn't like it done in front of everyone when we got engaged in Disney. I rented the yachat and took my (girlfriend at the time) out for wishes at the magic kingdom. I waited a half hour and the the first mate brought the ring down in a glass slipper that I had engraved with our engagement date (she's a huge Cinderella fan) and then had a bottle of champagne after. This can get pricey, I saved for a while.

Other ways I saw before, take her on a ride like splash mountain, ask to sit in the back, tell your girlfriend lets close our eyes for the drop have a sign made up with "Will you Marry Me" or just "Marry Me" and hold it up during the drop and when you get off of the ride go look at the picture and when she is looking at the screen get down on one knee. After you propose make sure you buy the picture from the ride. Very inexpensive.

There are also boats you can take out for illuminations that are less expensive then the yachat. You have to call well in advance to get the boats so call to check on prices and availability.

Just a couple of thoughts, there are many things you can do, just do a little internet search. I feel like the proposal at the restaraunt is over done, everyone does it. My last two times at Disney people did it at the restaraunts we were at. You are in the happiest place on earth, do it in a special Disney way; not a way you can do anywhere else.

GOOD LUCK!

WishingStar2006
02-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Just to the right of Cinderella's Castle...on the walkway to tomorrowland....there is a photopass photographer in a little alcove out of the way.....you could go there to get a photopass photo with the castle in the background and then, when the photographer is about to take the shot....down on one knee!!!! Photo, Castle and the girl of dreams....what could be better and no cost...except the photo!

Good luck!

Oh, and from what I understand, you have to add dining by 10 days before your arrival. Cannot be done at check-in.

mydisneygirls
02-03-2012, 10:55 AM
2. Where is the best place to have servers interact in the wedding proposal? If we do the dining plan, I am considering Le Cellier for Dinner.

3. I am considering these places as our Table Service Meals for a first trip as a couple and a special occassion trip!: Hoop Dee Doo Revue, Whispering Canyon Cafe, 50's Primetime, Le Cellier, and Raglan Road.

If you are considering the dining plan, be aware that Le Cellier (for dinner) and the Hoop Dee Doo are 2 credit table service restaurants. I would say go with the DP but look at other restaurants....Chef de France, GF Cafe, The Wave.

Congrats on the upcoming engagement and may it be truly MAGICAL!!!!!

Auroring Good Time
02-03-2012, 03:06 PM
These proposal ideas are making me all misty eyed.
I agree, think of what your girlfriend is like. If she's quiet or shy, she may not enjoy the hoopla that may come from a proposal in public.
I've seen two proposals at Disney and both, of course, made me cry. One was at La Nouba before the show started. The young man had one of the performers assist him. The second was truly magical just because of the surroundings. It was in the little area in the Rose Garden. It was a night a few years back when the space shuttle was launching. Disney delayed the fireworks for the launch. The young man proposed after the launch and then the fireworks went off. It was amazing.
I'm sure whatever you plan will be magical and something you both will always remember.

spinnerf
02-03-2012, 03:42 PM
I could be wrong but I think you can add the dining plan at anytime, even the day you arrive. The only advantage to adding it now is locking in a price.

TinkerbellT421
02-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Last I knew, you are unable to add the dinning any later atleast 10 days before arrival, you can pay on arrival but it has to be made on your reservation prior to arrival.

Secondly, go to youtube and type in disney world engagement, it was a flash mob video that literally makes me teary eyes everytime I see it.

I agree with other posters as to what your girlfriend likes as far as if she gets embarrassed easily, is she shy or outgoing, does she like attention or not? Then when you call to make ADR's maybe mention to the person on the phone that what you would like to do and that you would like the help of cast members and see if she gives you any information on who to contact prior to arrival. Maybe contact the restaurant ahead of time to let them know your plan and that you would like their help. :thumbsup:

spinnerf
02-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Oh, I think I was confused with upgrading park tickets, didnt realise it had to be added 10 day prior

DANAM
02-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Yep we have extended our trip before at check-in and we were not able to add the dining plan to the last night even though we had it for the rest of the trip. You need 10 days notice. BUT you could call 11 days before and add it.

Be careful to ask about any fee associated with changing a reservation before you do it. Because on a seperate trip we added a night and I didn't ask and when I got the new paperwork I noticed there was some sort of charge for changing less than 60 days out. I called and had it removed because it was in Disney's favor. I was giving them more money. I was told it was an oversite but they would have been a charge if I had removed a night.

antngoof89
02-04-2012, 12:57 AM
Thanks for all the help everyone! After doing a little math last night and thinking some things through I think I've decided on not doing the dining plan. I don't usually eat breakfast and what she normally does for breakfast is a bagel at most so we'd no quick service for those meals. The last three trips I've taken (one she was with me) we always felt like we were forced to eat rather than controlling it. So I think I've decided on doing Hoop Dee Doo, Raglan Road, and 50's primetime/Whispering Canyon(still undecided on the two). Also, I think you're all right, dining is a cheesy way of doing it and kind of a cop out since I can do that anywhere. She LOVES Tower of Terror so I am contemplating doing the sign idea on that ride since I usually hold my hands straight up on that ride anyway. Using the castle came into my head last night too, I'm just not sure which is more Magical. I definitely want to do it inside the park however. This trip is starting to feel like my most exciting one and I haven't even made the deposit yet!