PDA

View Full Version : which is your favorite and why?

disneymomma2010
02-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Which is the best resort out of these?

Port Orleans Riverside
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Coronado Springs
Caribbean Beach

I just can not decide which resort to stay at next :confused: .... if money was not an object, it would be the Poly! :cloud9:

DreamFinder2
02-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Probably not a good one to reply, since I've only stayed at one that you listed, but I'll put in my vote for the AKL. It's amazing. Spend the extra $ and get a savannah view...waking up to a giraffe outside your window is priceless :thumbsup:

RichGuy
02-02-2012, 11:29 PM
Probably not a good one to reply, since I've only stayed at one that you listed, but I'll put in my vote for the AKL. It's amazing. Spend the extra $ and get a savannah view...waking up to a giraffe outside your window is priceless :thumbsup:

I agree with everything DreamFinder2 says here. The bus transportation is a little frustrating, but the hotel itself is great... some great restaurants in there, too.

Kairi_7378
02-03-2012, 06:42 AM
I've stayed at POR and CS. Ate at AKL on my last trip.

The staff at the AKL is friendly, and you can not beat the theming here. I have always wanted to stay here. The one thing that I didn't care for was the long ride to the Magic Kingdom from this resort.

Of the moderates, CSR is my favorite. The grounds are beautiful, the staff is amazing, the hotel has been recently refurbished, and the bus transportation is good. Even if you are in one of the rooms that is far from the main building, you get the perk of being picked up first on the buses.

I didn't care for the decor at POR when we stayed there, but the resort is currently going through renovation, so I may try it again someday.

JenniferS.
02-03-2012, 06:44 AM
Isn't Animal Kingdom Lodge and Poly in the same price range??

Melanie
02-03-2012, 07:20 AM
Isn't Animal Kingdom Lodge and Poly in the same price range??

No, Poly is more because of location/monorail.

I've stayed at all these, and if I had my option, I'd choose Animal Kingdom Lodge. Second would be Coronado Springs.

Basket Mommy
02-03-2012, 08:01 AM

Just got back from 8 days at a 2BR with Savannah View in Jambo House. Amazing. I've stayed lots of places on property, but AKL is my new favorite.

The bus transportation is a little frustrating, but the hotel itself is great...

We used the buses for everything except going to DTD. I thought that the "long" drive to MK would bother me, but it didn't. The only thing about staying in Jambo House (main bldg) that bothered me was that most days the bus picked up at Kidani (DVC) first. That meant a full bus if you were leaving first thing in the morning. I didn't mind standing, though, so it wasn't a problem.

I have only stayed at one other place on your list - Port Orleans. To me, Moderate resorts don't compare with Deluxes. I'm a DVC girl, so my vote is always going to be for the Deluxe/DVC property.

MississippiDisneyFreak
02-03-2012, 08:21 AM
Akl

c&d
02-03-2012, 08:45 AM
AKL. Absolutely love the feel of the lodge. It takes me to a whole different place, although I'm at Disney it never felt like it had the hustle and bustle of other resorts. I can't wait to get back there in April.

BugeyedMuggy
02-03-2012, 09:38 AM
We have stayed at 2 of the 4 you listed and of all the resorts in Disney AKL is our favorite. So much to do at the resort and it is very relaxing at the same time.

Mickey'sGirl
02-03-2012, 09:47 AM
I have stayed at all of these resorts, and I would choose Coronado Springs over the others. The grounds are beautiful, the pool is spectacular and the rooms have queen sized beds. It is a very nice resort.

We stayed at the AKL last year, and honestly, we did not feel like the price differential from the Moderates was worth it.

brownie
02-03-2012, 10:01 AM
I'd go with Animal Kingdom Lodge because of the animals and restaurants. Port Orleans Riverside would also be a consideration due to the landscaping.

Mousemates
02-03-2012, 10:12 AM
My take:

1. Animal Kingdom Lodge - best of the mentioned by far...its a truly magical place to stay --and as for the bus transport we have had no worse luck there than elsewhere...fact is that occasionally you can have a long wait on a bus at any disney resort.

2. Port Orleans Riverside-- we prefer the more compact FQ, but riverside is a nice stay too.

3. Coronado Springs -nice amenities

4. Caribbean Beach - not my fave, though if our son was still the right age for pirate theming, I would probably change my mind.

buzznwoodysmom
02-03-2012, 10:44 AM
I've stayed at all of them and I'd pick AKL.

Honestly for us staying at AKL is special if we stay on the Savannah. I know this doesn't matter to everyone, but I can't see us staying there again without the Savannah view. The added Savannah view increased the price a good bit, so if I couldn't swing the Savannah view I might stay elsewhere mainly because of the bus situation. We did not have good bus service anytime we've been at AKL, whether it be during a trip we were staying there, or just visiting for dinner. We've opted to call a taxi more than once after waiting for a bus that never came. We've never had that issue at any other resort, but for us it's been the norm at AKL.

Our second choice would be CBR. We actally enjoyed them all, with the exception of POR, which we didn't care for at all. I'd much rather POFQ!

disneymomma2010
02-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Wow, it sounds like AKL is the favorite. Thanks for the advice :number1: I would love to stay there...maybe next trip :mickey:

Joeybun
02-06-2012, 12:31 AM
I have stayed at all but AKL...

1...POR by far is the best of your selections! The resort is so beautiful with all the trees and bayous. To me it feels like a deluxe resort. Oh and Bob the Piano player! No matter where we stay we always go to see his show! The food court is huge. I love the pasta station. There is also the boat to downtown Disney that stops at POFQ along the way, where you can eat some yummy beignets! Speaking of POFQ you can also use the pools there, which doubles the fun!

2...CSR is very nice and has that lovely lake and a cool pool. The food court is one of the best. This resort I found to be very quiet. I don't like the theming as much as POR and actually think it is more suited to adults than kids.

3...CBR is in serious need of room renovations! The pool was so noisy and so crowded that we couldn't even find a spot in the water! The food court is nice with many selections. The lake is pretty and I even saw a friendly alligator floating around. The bus situation isn't the best since the resort is so huge it takes forever to even get out of the resort.

Won't comment on AKL since I've never stayed there but it does look very nice. For the difference in price from the moderates though, you could do a whole lot of shopping!

minnie-mouse
02-06-2012, 09:41 AM
I have only statyed at CBR of those choices and loved it but we are trying CSR on our next trip.

Pocahontas
02-08-2012, 01:20 PM
I have stayed at all but AKL...

1...POR by far is the best of your selections! The resort is so beautiful with all the trees and bayous. To me it feels like a deluxe resort. Oh and Bob the Piano player! No matter where we stay we always go to see his show! The food court is huge. I love the pasta station. There is also the boat to downtown Disney that stops at POFQ along the way, where you can eat some yummy beignets! Speaking of POFQ you can also use the pools there, which doubles the fun!

2...CSR is very nice and has that lovely lake and a cool pool. The food court is one of the best. This resort I found to be very quiet. I don't like the theming as much as POR and actually think it is more suited to adults than kids.

3...CBR is in serious need of room renovations! The pool was so noisy and so crowded that we couldn't even find a spot in the water! The food court is nice with many selections. The lake is pretty and I even saw a friendly alligator floating around. The bus situation isn't the best since the resort is so huge it takes forever to even get out of the resort.

Won't comment on AKL since I've never stayed there but it does look very nice. For the difference in price from the moderates though, you could do a whole lot of shopping!

Wow, I could have written this! I've had the same experience and agree completely.

I haven't stayed at AKL and never considered it because of the distance it is from all the parks (except AK). However, all the praise I'm reading about it is making me reconsider.

Dopey's Girl
02-08-2012, 03:21 PM
I'm the exception to the rule. I have only had one really bad WDW resort experience, and it was at AKL. It was a highly unmagical experience, and it was not dealt with by multiple managers. The resort is beautiful, but I won't ever be able to step foot back there without getting angry.

I love POR. Just got back from a lovely visit. The theme is fun, love the quiet pools, and the boat ride to Downtown Disney is awesome and relaxing. Plus you aren't too far from 75% of the parks (AK is still a longish ride) which is good at the end of the night!

darthmacho
02-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Which is the best resort out of these?

Port Orleans Riverside
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Coronado Springs
Caribbean Beach

I just can not decide which resort to stay at next :confused: .... if money was not an object, it would be the Poly! :cloud9:

Wow! What a tough choice! If Wilderness Lodge was on the list, it would have been a clear cut favorite. However, three of the four on the list contend for my second favorite resort of all time. I guess I'd rank them this way, and here is why:

1. AKL: If you can afford to stay in a Savannah View, this would be my first choice. Despite never staying here, I think this is a close second behind WL for favorite resort. That is on my bucket list!
2. POR: This is a sentimental favorite. We stayed here in 2010, and had one of the best trips of our four. Great theming, good location, and a surprisingly good sit-down restaurant.
3. CSR: We stayed here in 1999, and I loved it. It was so beautifully themed, I might have ranked it above POR, but I think the memories from our recent trip have swayed me.
4. CBR: We've never stayed, and it's not on my wish list right now. I'd probably stay at one of the above two choices a second time before choosing this resort. That's not to say I dislike it, but I visited it once, and it doesn't inspire me like the others do.

mickclub1955
02-08-2012, 08:35 PM
First I will say that I have never stayed at Coronado Springs so I am not going to comment on that other than that I heard that the food is more expensive there due to being a business resort (higher tax or somthing). Someone may correct me on this but that is what I have heard. I have stayed at all of the others and any would be a great choice. Carribean Beach is a bit spread out but there are bus stops throughout the resort. POR is a wonderful resort also. I have never stayed at the plantation side, we always get stuck in the rustic side. My wife doesn't like the rustic side. We just got back from staying at the AKL. It was wonderful. The bus rides aren't that bad. We did have a Savannah view and I would highly recommend it if you can afford it. I wouldn't stay there unless you had a Savannah view. That too me is the whole purpose of the resort. My wife says she would stay there anyway because there are viewing areas at the resort. Any resort from this list is great. :thumbsup:

disneymomma2010
02-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Wow! What a tough choice! If Wilderness Lodge was on the list, it would have been a clear cut favorite. However, three of the four on the list contend for my second favorite resort of all time. I guess I'd rank them this way, and here is why:

1. AKL: If you can afford to stay in a Savannah View, this would be my first choice. Despite never staying here, I think this is a close second behind WL for favorite resort. That is on my bucket list!
2. POR: This is a sentimental favorite. We stayed here in 2010, and had one of the best trips of our four. Great theming, good location, and a surprisingly good sit-down restaurant.
3. CSR: We stayed here in 1999, and I loved it. It was so beautifully themed, I might have ranked it above POR, but I think the memories from our recent trip have swayed me.
4. CBR: We've never stayed, and it's not on my wish list right now. I'd probably stay at one of the above two choices a second time before choosing this resort. That's not to say I dislike it, but I visited it once, and it doesn't inspire me like the others do.

Darth I have always thought about staying at wilderness lodge. I love visiting there every trip. It is beautiful. Im just not crazy at all by how the rooms look in the pictures. Plus, I'm from tn so it reminds me of staying in a cabin, which I usually do here on small trips. When Im in florida I do not want to feel like im at home! ..... We have stayed at POR several times and we love it there! Im to the point where I don't know if I would rather stay with the known and loved or venture out and try new things.

disneymomma2010
02-08-2012, 11:11 PM
We just got back from staying at the AKL. It was wonderful. The bus rides aren't that bad. We did have a Savannah view and I would highly recommend it if you can afford it. I wouldn't stay there unless you had a Savannah view. That too me is the whole purpose of the resort. My wife says she would stay there anyway because there are viewing areas at the resort. Any resort from this list is great. :thumbsup:

I don't know if I could ever afford a Savannah view. It would be so nice! I have heard however of some who have been upgraded at check in. Maybe I could be so lucky!

Mickey'sGirl
02-09-2012, 09:35 AM
Darth I have always thought about staying at wilderness lodge. I love visiting there every trip. It is beautiful. Im just not crazy at all by how the rooms look in the pictures.I hear you. Honestly momma, there are only 3 resorts we haven't stayed in, and of all the others, the only ones I've ever been disappointed in are the Wilderness Lodge and the Animal Kingdom Lodge. We found the rooms at the WL dark and crowded, and the AK, lacking storage and sooooooooooo faaaaaaaaaaaar from everything! They are the only two resorts we would choose to NOT return to. I honestly don't think they are different enough from the Moderates to support the price differential.

mickclub1955
02-09-2012, 09:07 PM
I don't know if I could ever afford a Savannah view. It would be so nice! I have heard however of some who have been upgraded at check in. Maybe I could be so lucky!

Our first visit here we were upgraded to a Savannah view. That hooked us.

disneymomma2010
02-09-2012, 09:59 PM
I hear you. Honestly momma, there are only 3 resorts we haven't stayed in, and of all the others, the only ones I've ever been disappointed in are the Wilderness Lodge and the Animal Kingdom Lodge. We found the rooms at the WL dark and crowded, and the AK, lacking storage and sooooooooooo faaaaaaaaaaaar from everything! They are the only two resorts we would choose to NOT return to. I honestly don't think they are different enough from the Moderates to support the price differential.

Good to know!

disneymomma2010
02-09-2012, 10:00 PM

You give me hope! :D

j2k
05-07-2012, 10:04 PM
This is all good info. I am currently booked at a value and am having second thoughts about our resort and would like to try a moderate. I've been thinking of booking at CSR so the info on this thread helps. :thumbsup:

Crow
05-08-2012, 01:21 AM
Coronado is tied for my fav mod so Id go w this..not POR. i didnt like POR. but i did POFQ
AKL. nice but its further from the parks except for AK and thats t park i spend the least time.
CBR ive stayed a few times. not my fav mod but its not bad..and better located than AKL

Fastpasssteve
05-08-2012, 03:25 AM
I've stayed at three of the resorts you listed.

Coronado Springs is lovely, but very large. So, if mobility is an issue, this might not be the resort for you.

Port Orleans is smaller than Coronado.

But let's just cut to the chase. Animal Kingdom Lodge is the best. I could give you a list like all the people above, but it comes down to this for me: Every night, when I got off the bus from the Parks, tired as can be, I walked up to the Lodge...
...and smelled the smoke from the restaurant inside, I heard the music, and was excited and energized that I was staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I walked in and looked up in wonder. I was SO happy my entire stay there. I never wanted to leave. I remember sitting in the lobby of the wonderful furniture waiting for a reservation at BOMA, one of the fine restaurants there...and was completely content just sitting there listening to the music and seeing all the happy people in that lodge. The atmosphere is pervasive. Wonderful.

If you cannot stay at the AKL this time, promise yourself that, in the future, you will make every effort to stay there.

LandFan
05-08-2012, 12:09 PM

Us too! We LOVED it!! It was soooo cool and relaxed after a hot day in the parks! If I have the $$ to stay somewhere other than Pop or AofA, then AKL it is!

ThanxForNoticin
05-08-2012, 12:28 PM
Absolutely another vote for AKL. It's become one of our favorite resorts anywhere, not just at WDW. If the expense is a huge factor, then I would head to Coronado next - very nice there, as well. But AKL is so peaceful and relaxing - and the service is second to none. Have a great trip!