PDA

View Full Version : We lived the Dream

wildernesslady
01-31-2012, 05:42 PM
Our trip dates were Jan 21 - 26.

Our purpose of the trip was to visit our daughter who works on The Dream

We live approximately 25 miles outside of Philadelphia which has been unseasonably warm this winter. Of course, the day we are supposed to leave, there is a snow storm on the way. Thinking we would beat the storm, we decided to spend the night before at a hotel at the airport the night before.

On the morning of the 21st, we walked over to the airport to hopefully get on the 9:15 flight since our 11:35 flight was already delayed. We still could not figure why the earlier flight was on time. We tried stand by which we did not get on and 6 1/2 hours later at the airport we were finally on the plane, getting de-iced, and on our way to warm, wonderful Orldando.

We quickly got our rental car and just made it to our ADR at Ohana. What a great meal. After dinner we checked into BLT for our one night stay in the world. As we got there, Wishes was starting so we got to enjoy that. When we got to our room, we were upgraded to a MK view. What a nice bonus. We were all exhausted by this point, so we settled in for the night looking forward to seeing our daughter the next day. She has been gone since mid November and we missed her alot.

The next morning we drove to Port, returned the rental, and were quickly shuttled to our home for the next 4 nights. The Dream. What a beatiful ship. Disney does the theming right. My daughter was working the terminal that day, so we didn't have to wait long to reunite. If anyone saw 3 crazy people running, hugging, and then crying in the terminal that was us. Did I say we really missed her.

She works in the Youth Activities department and did have to work while we there, so we did make the most of the times we got to be with her. The Youth programs are amazing on this ship. We did see many children crying when it was time to leave.

The cruise was a great getaway for us. The ship is beautiful. Castaway is my second favorite place in the world. DW comes in a slight first. I do wish they would skip Nassau. Isn't there anywhere else they could stop. We also had a sea day on our sailing and thouroughly enjoyed the adult pool area. We did however feel the food was just OK. Everlything was good, we just weren't blown away by it. We had booked a guaranteed verandah room and were very pleased by the room. The size was great for a ship cabin.

All in all it was so great to be able to see our daughter. Also, my husband lost his job of 30 years Thanksgiving week, and we found out the day before we left he got a job. It really was the icing on the cake. What a relief.

We flew home uneventfully right after we got off the ship to a warm Philadelphia. What a crazy winter it has been.

Thanks for reading.

faline
01-31-2012, 07:56 PM
Nice trip! Glad you got to catch up with your daughter! Congrats to your husband on his new position! Now...if my husband could get similar news, life would be very good!

wildernesslady
01-31-2012, 09:18 PM
Good luck with your husband. It is so stressful. I hope he finds something soon.

Goofeygal
01-31-2012, 09:49 PM
great trip.

johnO
01-31-2012, 11:55 PM
Sounds like a great time. What drove your daughter to work aboard DCL? I believe my aunt was on the cruise with you.

Another coincidence, I used to live just north of Philly!

wildernesslady
02-01-2012, 06:00 PM
Sounds like a great time. What drove your daughter to work aboard DCL? I believe my aunt was on the cruise with you.

Another coincidence, I used to live just north of Philly!

She actually was not enjoying her job here and wanted to get out of our area for a awhile. I suggested she apply at some cruise lines and explore the world. The next thing we knew, she was leaving. She only did apply at Disney and is happy with her choice. How funny your aunt was on the ship. It was pretty busy.

VWL Mom
02-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Sounds like you had a nice trip and visit with your daughter! Good luck to your DH on his new job.

CanadaLovesDisney
02-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Thanks for sharing and I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your husbands job - but congrats on the new one!!! Things happen for a reason :)

vizsla
02-02-2012, 05:13 AM
Thanks for the report.

DVC2004
02-13-2012, 04:30 PM
Glad you had a nice trip! I am sure it was even better since you got to see your daughter a little, too. It is a beautiful ship!

We returned from our 3 Day cruise on the Dream last week and I agree with all that you said. I also felt the food was OK. Even at Palo, where there was an extra charge, I wan't blown away by the food. I wanted pasta initially, the server talked me into splitting pasta as a side with the husband and get the filet mingon as my main course. It was just very plainly prepared, the filet. It also was described on the menu as having a blue cheese crust and it didn't. She poured a blue cheese sauce on the side and it reminded me of dressing, I didn't enjoy dipping the steak. If I had known that I would not have ordered it.

Agree also about Nassau. I don't feel it has much to offer. Especially if you've been there before. We did the Blue Lagoon Isalnd Beach Day and that was pretty nice. We had no desire to shop or go around Nassau. I also wish they would swap that out for another port.