PDA

View Full Version : WDW vs Disney Cruise vs DL? Which do you prefer???

forever a child
01-30-2012, 11:43 AM
I looked quite a bit yesterday at Disney Cruise website (which is they only one I really want to consider because I would want Disney theme-ing)

For those of you who have done any two or three....which do you prefer and why?

WDW

Disney Cruise

Disneyland

Just trying to consider options for Graduation trip for myself and my DD. She graduates in May and I would like to do a trip together. I have considered a Disney Cruise in the past and we didn't feel interested at the time and went on our two 2010 WDW trips instead. But DD wants something different for her Graduation trip.

So tell me what you have liked or disliked about your DL or DCruise vacations....thanks

ColleenMcD
01-30-2012, 12:33 PM
i vote for disney cruise because it would be a new experience for both of you...

Disney4us2
01-30-2012, 12:41 PM
I voted for WDW. That is where we like to vacation. We can go to Disneyland(lucky us) anytime since we live in SoCal.

joonyer
01-30-2012, 01:18 PM
If you had been on a cruise 6 times already, and never been to WDW or DL, I'd choose the parks. But if you've been to the parks several times already, it's time to take the cruise. Go for a new Adventure!

c&d
01-30-2012, 01:44 PM
I voted for DL. It was just nice to be where it all started. I loved the smaller feel of the park and that the rides, although the same are different. I loved walking out of our hotel and into the park. For someone who loves Disney to be able to see where it all started was really special.

We've been on a couple of Disney cruises and we enjoyed those also. I enjoyed the dining rotation and loved eating at Palo's. Castaway Cay was our favorite part of the cruise. I would suggest if you go to do the 7 day cruise. I loved being on the ship and the 2 days at sea were great.

forever a child
01-30-2012, 01:54 PM
I voted for DL. It was just nice to be where it all started. I loved the smaller feel of the park and that the rides, although the same are different. I loved walking out of our hotel and into the park. For someone who loves Disney to be able to see where it all started was really special.

We've been on a couple of Disney cruises and we enjoyed those also. I enjoyed the dining rotation and loved eating at Palo's. Castaway Cay was our favorite part of the cruise. I would suggest if you go to do the 7 day cruise. I loved being on the ship and the 2 days at sea were great.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I worry that for someone like us who is used to 4 parks and all of the extra stuff that the hotels offer in WDW, that a cruise or even DL will seem like less to do. Also, on a cruise it seems like activities are designed based on age groups, so DD could do clubs and I could do whatever....but not necessarily together. I could be wrong since we have never done either...it is just a concern. We tend to be die-hard park rambo's at WDW and love doing rides and the free shows in the park as well as all the parades and evening shows. So not having as many choices is concerning. I guess this could be viewed as a more relaxing trip, LOL by slowing down the pace?

Tygger7
01-30-2012, 01:57 PM

This was my vote as well. The nostalgia factor is so great, and you HAVE to do the Indiana Jones ride at least once in your life. :D

jodijo
01-30-2012, 05:30 PM
I have done all 3.

I found DL does not have a lot to do. If you are visiting in the winter or off season, the 2 parks are often closed by 8:00pm with no fireworks or things to do after that. On our trip last February, out of the 3 nights we were there, they did not have any fireworks and WOC was only shown once in the pouring rain. I also found that we did everything early and wished there were other parks to go to.

We love WDW and thought a cruise was not for us. However, we found that we loved the cruise even more. Our kids don't like the kids clubs. They hang with us. We enjoy all of the family activities and shows together. If you have never done a cruise, I recommend starting with a 3 day cruise. You might even split it and do a few days at WDW and a 3 night cruise. That's what we did and loved it so much we booked a 7 day cruise when we got home.

DizneyRox
01-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I worry that for someone like us who is used to 4 parks and all of the extra stuff that the hotels offer in WDW, that a cruise or even DL will seem like less to do. Also, on a cruise it seems like activities are designed based on age groups, so DD could do clubs and I could do whatever....but not necessarily together. I could be wrong since we have never done either...it is just a concern. We tend to be die-hard park rambo's at WDW and love doing rides and the free shows in the park as well as all the parades and evening shows. So not having as many choices is concerning. I guess this could be viewed as a more relaxing trip, LOL by slowing down the pace?
Lack of options isn't something I'd attribute to a cruise. If anything there is too much to do and not enough time to do it. They are designed that way to keep people coming back.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-30-2012, 07:25 PM
IF it were my husband and I, I'd split it between WDW AND a Cruise.

DD and I, WDW and that's what we are doing for 10 days in June. But she's only been twice, once at age almost 6 and then again at almost 9. So, she asked for a Mother/Daughter trip to WDW for her graduation gift.

forever a child
02-01-2012, 03:33 PM
Lack of options isn't something I'd attribute to a cruise. If anything there is too much to do and not enough time to do it. They are designed that way to keep people coming back.

I am wondering if you or others could share what you do on a cruise both on ship and then at port?

I think the time docked at port seems easier to assume there will be things available to do. But I am limited in knowing what happens when you are out to sea. I get the pool, dinner, shows. But what else? :confused:

jodijo
02-01-2012, 05:59 PM
I am wondering if you or others could share what you do on a cruise both on ship and then at port?

I think the time docked at port seems easier to assume there will be things available to do. But I am limited in knowing what happens when you are out to sea. I get the pool, dinner, shows. But what else? :confused:

We like to watch the 1st run movies in the Buena Vista theater, play in the family wii tournaments, and attend some of the classes (for example, my daughter and I loved the towel folding class). We just get a highlighter and go through the daily Navigator each night. (It is a little paper that gives you a list of all of the events going on each day.) I always amazes me at the amount of activities they have going on.

forever a child
02-04-2012, 01:53 PM
We like to watch the 1st run movies in the Buena Vista theater, play in the family wii tournaments, and attend some of the classes (for example, my daughter and I loved the towel folding class).

Some how these activities don't make me want to go on a cruise over visiting the parks. Hmm... I still am leaning on WDW. I guess it is just hard for me to change. :D

Katzateer
02-04-2012, 04:34 PM
I would go on the shorter cruise that includes a few days at WDW. After you have eaten the fabulous food, seen the shows and been to Castaway, I would get bored with a longer cruise and want to be at WDW.

We have been on the cruise once and enjoyed but I would take WDW over it. And DL is great but more to do at WDW.

Katzateer
02-04-2012, 04:41 PM
If you have never been on a cruise, I would pick a shorter one to start out with. Both of our daughters enjoyed the cruise but our youngest was sea sick a lot of the trip and was glad to get off the ship. Our oldest has always had trouble with getting car sick and she did't have any problems on the cruise.

forever a child
02-04-2012, 11:26 PM
I would go on the shorter cruise that includes a few days at WDW. After you have eaten the fabulous food, seen the shows and been to Castaway, I would get bored with a longer cruise and want to be at WDW.

We have been on the cruise once and enjoyed but I would take WDW over it. And DL is great but more to do at WDW.

If you have never been on a cruise, I would pick a shorter one to start out with. Both of our daughters enjoyed the cruise but our youngest was sea sick a lot of the trip and was glad to get off the ship. Our oldest has always had trouble with getting car sick and she did't have any problems on the cruise.

Thanks for the suggestion of the short cruise. That may be the best option. I get motion sick and DD does occasionally get car sick (but I think most recently just because she was reading in car, LOL). I haven't found a short one that really seems interesting.....but I think I need to take a second look.:thumbsup:

forever a child
02-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Ok, I think we have decided! Yippy!:rotfl:

DD and I have decided to take summer and she is going to visit a dear friend in NC for two weeks then I will join for a few days. We also are going to do a couple of days and revisit Chicago and some places in Detroit and maybe even a weekend in Mackinaw since we will be returning to MI in June.

Then once I know her winter break schedule for college (Need to know which college first!) we are going to plan a trip to WDW for Christmas! I loved WDW during Christmas time and was disappointed that we didn't go this year.

I appreciate everyone who suggested the short term cruise and I think that would be something I might consider for her and I to do next year when I have more time to devote to research and I think I would like to book it further out than I am used to doing with our WDW trips. I don't think I am going to plan on DL because I have a feeling DD might apply there for her one of her college internships or she may do a visit with her friends in college for spring break or something, either way...it will be there for us to visit on some future trip.

But I will take your advise and plan a short cruise...for 2013. I am really interested in the Alaska cruise but I would rather DD be 18 (instead of 17) so she can do everything that might be available without age restrictions.

Thanks again everyone for your help. Now I get to plan for our Christmas trip!!!!!! :cloud9:

Katzateer
02-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Sounds like you have some great plans. We did do a short Disney cruise just 3 nights. That way you can decide if cruising is your idea of a fun vacation. Have fun!