PDA

View Full Version : Disney Premier Visa

sgdisney
01-28-2012, 03:47 PM
Sounds almost too good to be true. Chase just introduced a Disney Premier Visa. For an annual fee of $49, you can get 2% on groceries, gas and dining and anything spent at a Disney location. Plus all the other benefits of the regular Disney Visa. And for the first 3 months they will give you 5% on groceries, gas and dining. Anyone interested?

JIMINY13
01-28-2012, 04:11 PM
When checking my Chase account yesterday, I saw the ad for it. I called up and upgraded to the Premier Disney Visa Card. New designs for card and being I pay my card off at the end of each month, getting the extra points is well worth the annual fee of $49. Our Disney Rewards are paying a big chunk of the Resort stay for us this year.:minnie::minnie:

Melanie
01-28-2012, 05:55 PM
Nope! Not keen on anything with a fee.

faline
01-28-2012, 06:35 PM

I totally agree! We got this "offer" in the mail today and my first reaction is "$49 bucks?? Not happening!!"

DizneyRox
01-28-2012, 07:01 PM
While I would normally agree, however, we usually have enough points to cover a couple of APs a year, and that's with 1%. With 2% we will certainly come out way ahead. Yes, I understand it's only on gas and groceries and restaurants, but that's a huge chunk of what we put on the card.

It's like the TiW card where you pay for the privilege. Doing the math, I bet it would be silly to not join up for many.

Mr Wizard
01-29-2012, 08:14 AM
I don't pay for credit cards, I think It's nuts. But in this case I would come out ahead. Just figuring what we spend on grocerys the extra 1% would pay for the card and also add about $40 a year. So since I pay for all the gas I use in my buisness ( I'm an electrician and I drive a 3/4 ton van that is not very easy on fuel ) with the card I'm bound to come out ahead. I know it also includes restaruants but the occasional Big Mac is the only money spent there. I'm going for it. Look out treehouses, we're heading your way in two more years.

Kenny1113
01-29-2012, 09:17 AM

:ditto:

brownie
01-29-2012, 09:22 AM
While I would normally agree, however, we usually have enough points to cover a couple of APs a year, and that's with 1%. With 2% we will certainly come out way ahead. Yes, I understand it's only on gas and groceries and restaurants, but that's a huge chunk of what we put on the card.

It's like the TiW card where you pay for the privilege. Doing the math, I bet it would be silly to not join up for many.

We crunched the numbers and we'd come out ahead with this. If you look at your annual review statement, you can see how much you spent on restaurants, gas, and groceries. That will give you a good idea of whether you'd come out ahead or behind. We put everything on the card and pay it off each month, so that helps.

lindique
01-29-2012, 09:27 AM
A while back, I received an e-mail from Chase asking me to take a survey on the Disney Credit Card. The main question appeared to be - under what circumstances would you be willing to pay a fee? I answered "none", and the survey ended right there. I wish I had taken the rest of the survey. Getting extra points must have been the answer most given to the question.

The extra points seems to be worth it only if you have a large family (large food and gas bills) and spend quite a bit at Disney World (staying at Deluxe Hotels, for example). $5,000 in just those categories is a pretty high threshold to reach for a lot of us. Since I don't fall in this category, I'll stay with my original card. I just hope this isn't the start of fees for all.

DizneyRox
01-29-2012, 09:42 AM
We put everything on the card and pay it off each month, so that helps.
That is another key part. If you carry a balance, this (dare I say ANY rewards card) is not smart. Even a small balance carried over for only one month can, and probably will, eat all your rewards and then some.

The extra points seems to be worth it only if you have a large family (large food and gas bills) and spend quite a bit at Disney World (staying at Deluxe Hotels, for example). $5,000 in just those categories is a pretty high threshold to reach for a lot of us. Since I don't fall in this category, I'll stay with my original card. I just hope this isn't the start of fees for all.
We charge about $4K a month on our card, not all gas and groceries, but still. It's just the three of us. The Disney Rewards is mediocre at best in terms of rewards cards overall though. If you like it, great, if not there are others. A while back I remember a GM card offering like 5%, would have been great if I'd ever step foot in a GM. Been a Chase Disney card holder from the get go, it's been pretty good for us. Got a load o points though sitting around for when we next visit, whenever at will be. I might need to start checking the expiration dae on these points.

Mr Wizard
01-29-2012, 11:26 AM

OK what did I miss here? On the offer I got I read the fine print and I saw no mention of having to meet a certian amount every month to get the extra points. I am in the same boat as you in as the monthly total is about $4000. And I really dont see that increasing. I guess it's time to call them and get the real low down.

lindique
01-29-2012, 02:03 PM
OK what did I miss here? On the offer I got I read the fine print and I saw no mention of having to meet a certian amount every month to get the extra points. I am in the same boat as you in as the monthly total is about $4000. And I really dont see that increasing. I guess it's time to call them and get the real low down.
Mr Wizard, you don't have to meet a certain amount charged every month. What you have to do is charge over $4900 in Disney, food, and gas over a year to make it worth paying the $49 in annual fee. If you don't annually charge that much, you will be paying more in fees than you will get back in points.

TinkerbellT421
01-29-2012, 02:45 PM
Mr Wizard, you don't have to meet a certain amount charged every month. What you have to do is charge over $4900 in Disney, food, and gas over a year to make it worth paying the $49 in annual fee. If you don't annually charge that much, you will be paying more in fees than you will get back in points.

If it's 2$ per $100, then you would have to charge roughly $2,500.00 to make it worth it, in food, gas, Disney, etc.

Like others said I'm not too keen on spending a fee for a card anyway.

lindique
01-29-2012, 06:40 PM
If it's 2$ per $100, then you would have to charge roughly $2,500.00 to make it worth it, in food, gas, Disney, etc.

I'm not sure about that. I saw this argument on another website, and it seems to make sense to me. You're already getting 1% with the card. To get the other 1%, you'd have to pay the $49 annual fee. Therefore, you'd have to charge over $4900 to make it worth it.

Mr Wizard
01-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Oh OK, I get where you are going with this. I obviously miss-took things to mean if you didn't spend a quota amount each month then you woulden't get the additional points. Some of their previous bonus points offers were based on a minimum monthly purchase so I guess that's where I was confused. But as I said before just the extra point on grocerys alone will pay the $49 fee plus another $40 a year in points. I can't wait for it to kick in because I now have two beautiful grand-daughters to take to Disney !:mickey::mickey:

TinkerbellT421
01-29-2012, 07:05 PM
I'm not sure about that. I saw this argument on another website, and it seems to make sense to me. You're already getting 1% with the card. To get the other 1%, you'd have to pay the $49 annual fee. Therefore, you'd have to charge over $4900 to make it worth it.

Right. I was saying that to break even with the annual fee you would have to charge approximately the 2,500.00.

BrerGnat
01-29-2012, 07:34 PM

Don't you have a TIW card? You paid for that, but I'm sure you have gotten more than the amount back in savings, right?

It's the same with credit card fees. People are too quick to dismiss any "fee" cards, but it's often a foolish thing to do. We have an AMEX Gold card. We pay $150 annually for it. We have "earned" over $1000 in points each year we've had it so far. We charge EVERYTHING on it, and use the rewards for air travel, mostly, on whatever airline we want. We make sure we take advantage of any bonus offers that we can, and when we originally signed up for the card, it came with 50,000 bonus points. It was WAY too good of a deal to pass up. Right off the bat, we were handed, essentially, $500 worth of airfare, minus the $150 annual fee, we came out ahead $350 before we even used the card.

While this seems like a good deal, we will stick with our AMEX which has a much more flexible rewards redemption system.

Don't poo poo a credit card that has a useful (to you) rewards program just because it has a fee. $49 is a VERY reasonable fee.

DizneyRox
01-29-2012, 07:55 PM
It's like not cashing in that winning lottery ticket because you're going to have to pay tax on the winnings...

BrerGnat
01-30-2012, 08:35 AM
It's like not cashing in that winning lottery ticket because you're going to have to pay tax on the winnings...

Yep. Nothing is really FREE. You gotta spend money to make money. It's like investing vs. stashing money under the mattress. ;)

The Hitchhiking Ghost
01-30-2012, 10:59 AM
I generally hate and rip up any credit card offer that includes an annual fee. As a general rule there is no reason to pay annual fees. That said there are some exceptions. I hate it, but I pay the $90 annual fee for the Delta Amex card because one flight a year for my family of 5 (with the free checked bags) will more than offset the annual fee. The new Disney Visa isn't a slam dunk by any means.

I'm surprised that they didn't sweeten the pot a bit more. Getting 2% is great but my guess is a lot of families won't be able to really benefit by it when you consider the cost/benefit of the $49 annual fee. I did a quick calculation and by my estimates we will probably gain an extra $150 of reward points annually under the new card, so we'd see a net gain of basically $100. Which is good, not stellar, but its still a $100 I wouldn't have otherwise, so I'll swallow my pride and pay the $49. At least the 5% bonus in the first three months will generate a few extra reward $$. The way the DW is nagging me about our next trip, I need to accumulate fast!

Plus, I like the new red Mickey Sorcerer design.

Looks like really the only significant change, other than the 2% on gas, dining and groceries, is that if you charge airline tickets to your new Disney premiere card that you can then pay for them with your reward points. Otherwise I didn't see any new perks associated to park visits.

My original Disney Visa has the "Charter Cardmember" on it (previously Day 1). Hopefully the new one will too.

brownie
01-30-2012, 01:21 PM
Keep in mind that the amounts being charged are not based on what you buy but where you buy it. Walmart and Meijer are classified as grocery stores, so everything you spend there would count towards the extra 2%. If look at your annual review statement, you can see how much you spent in the categories to know if you'd come out ahead or not.

Dyanna
01-30-2012, 02:28 PM
As a family who also does not pay any annual fee for any of our cc's this is one we have to look at since we have been Disney Visa card holders since 2004. Just called DH after I looked at our yearly summary for our cc purchases. Just for groceries & gas alone the Disney Premier Visa card is a no brainer. Since DH own his business the $49 fee is a write off as well. So it looks like for us its a win win situation. Does anyone know if you can keep the same cc # as the current Visa? This would be the only problem we may occur since DH has the number on file with all his vendors as well as direct billing for some utilities etc.

brivers222
01-30-2012, 02:47 PM
i am going back and forth on the deal..

unfortuantly not having a Nemo design on the platinum is my DWs deal breaker.

Brian
01-30-2012, 03:30 PM
unfortuantly not having a Nemo design on the platinum is my DWs deal breaker.

They posted an article last week on the Disney Parks blog. In the comments section, they mentioned that, in addition to the new designs, you can select one of the old designs as well.

I haven't yet upgraded myself, so I can't confirm this. My wife wants to keep the classic Mickey card, which is one of the non-Premier designs.

VWL Mom
01-30-2012, 03:37 PM
Does anyone know if you can keep the same cc # as the current Visa?

I think you do keep the same number. When I did the upgrade online yesterday it said something to the effect that you need to contact those that charge your card with the new exp date and security code. Said nothing about a new number.

DizneyRox
01-30-2012, 04:15 PM
I think you do keep the same number. When I did the upgrade online yesterday it said something to the effect that you need to contact those that charge your card with the new exp date and security code. Said nothing about a new number.
I believe you are correct. You'll get a new expiration date and security code, so recurring payments WILL break.

badkitty
01-30-2012, 04:39 PM
So, I'm torn because I have the "out of print" 50 Years card design and would hate to give that up. Change is good though, right? Also, since my company cut back on travel, I have been using my airline AMEX card for everything lately for the mileage bump. The 2% though might sway me back to the Disney card. I need to do the math.

Dyanna
01-31-2012, 08:01 AM
I too was upset about not being able to have my Nemo card but now I know we can keep it I am a happy camper again :-)

KylesMom
01-31-2012, 08:57 AM
I am editing my original post here - in looking at the year-end statement, it appears that Chase has now allocated more stores in their grocery and gas repertoire. In the past, we've missed out on double points due to their "grocery store" classifications. May be worth considering . . .

BrerGnat
01-31-2012, 09:47 AM
I am editing my original post here - in looking at the year-end statement, it appears that Chase has now allocated more stores in their grocery and gas repertoire. In the past, we've missed out on double points due to their "grocery store" classifications. May be worth considering . . .

Is Super Target included? I do about 95% of my shopping at Super Target, and I spend a lot of money there! I would be willing to get this card and just use it for my Target (and gas) trips if it is included.

brivers222
01-31-2012, 10:20 AM
They posted an article last week on the Disney Parks blog. In the comments section, they mentioned that, in addition to the new designs, you can select one of the old designs as well.

I haven't yet upgraded myself, so I can't confirm this. My wife wants to keep the classic Mickey card, which is one of the non-Premier designs.

Hmm that is something to think about now.....

But i was looking at my Chase BP card and I get 2% cash back on all Gas, Grocery and restaurants without an Annual fee... And whats nice is you can request a check in the mail (not just apply it at the pump).

so i may just "save" the $49 and keep with the cards i have now.

The only card we have with an annual fee is the Gold Delta Sky miles and that is $95. each time we fly we save $100 on free bags and they also give you a $99 companion flies anywhere in a the contential US for $99+ Taxes.... thats huge especially when flying out to Cali for Disneyland once in a while :)

The Hitchhiking Ghost
01-31-2012, 10:34 AM
Is Super Target included? I do about 95% of my shopping at Super Target, and I spend a lot of money there! I would be willing to get this card and just use it for my Target (and gas) trips if it is included.

Target showed up under my "grocery" category on my annual spending report. Only problem I have is that just before Christmas we got the Target "Red Card" which gives you 5% off you purchases at Target right at the register. As much as I love Disney and want the reward dollars, doesn't make sense to opt for 2% at Target when I can get 5%, other stores yes, Target no.

I called yesterday to upgrade to premiere. I think I was routed to an India call center, very difficult to understand what was going on. I asked if I could have one design and my DW another and she said yes. I said, great, I want the red Sorcerer Mickey and I get, "ok- Mickey and Minnie?" So I feel its going to be a bit of a lottery when the actual card arrives. I'm supposed to get Sorcerer and the DW Enchanted Castle.

She also said that there will be new expiration dates on the card, but the actual 16 digit card # will remain the same. I don't know about the 3 digit security #. Even though the card # has not changed, any reoccurring (auto deduct) charges that you do on the card, you will have to update your profiles at the vendor.

I really wish they'd do more incentives during the year. I got the card initially in 2003 (still have the Day 1 pin on my bulletin board at work) as a novelty but didn't really use it as I was using either my Northwest Visa for miles or our Royal Caribbean card for cruise points. But they did a promotion where for three months you got 3X the reward dollars after you charged a minimum amount ($500 I think). They did this one other time and this is what got me using the card. It might have been a different card company back then too, not Chase. But I don't recall anything like that since.

I was hoping too that with an annual fee there would be an additional "at park" perk as well, but they seem to have remained unchanged.

BrerGnat
01-31-2012, 10:47 AM
Target showed up under my "grocery" category on my annual spending report. Only problem I have is that just before Christmas we got the Target "Red Card" which gives you 5% off you purchases at Target right at the register. As much as I love Disney and want the reward dollars, doesn't make sense to opt for 2% at Target when I can get 5%, other stores yes, Target no.

The only Target card available at our local store is the Red DEBIT Card. I don't want a Target debit card. Also, we asked if DH could sign up for the Target card and if I could be an authorized user. I don't want any other cards in my name, but I am the one that does all the shopping. They said "no", that the card would only be in DH's name. I would have to apply for a card in my own name if I wanted to be able to use it. Too many restrictions for us.

BrerGnat
01-31-2012, 10:54 AM
Just noticed that they are offering a $100 statement credit after first use of the card for NEW cardholders.

The pot has been sweetened. So, basically, new cardmembers are being paid $51 for the first year of the card, rather than having to pay $49. Or, you can look at it as two years "fee free".

Good deal. Might do it.

brownie
01-31-2012, 11:17 AM
Upgraded yesterday. You can select from the old card designs as well as from the new ones.

brivers222
01-31-2012, 11:20 AM
I really wish they'd do more incentives during the year. I got the card initially in 2003 (still have the Day 1 pin on my bulletin board at work) as a novelty but didn't really use it as I was using either my Northwest Visa for miles or our Royal Caribbean card for cruise points. But they did a promotion where for three months you got 3X the reward dollars after you charged a minimum amount ($500 I think). They did this one other time and this is what got me using the card. It might have been a different card company back then too, not Chase. But I don't recall anything like that since.

That was Bank of America Days i believe.... Thats the promotion that got me involved in it.... but ever since its been $1 per $100.

Upgraded yesterday. You can select from the old card designs as well as from the new ones.

Do you have to call to do it?

badkitty
01-31-2012, 11:38 AM

Unfortunately, my design has been discontinued. I wonder if they would still let me have it? Probably not.

badkitty
01-31-2012, 11:45 AM

I think it was Capitol One. Please report back when you get the card if it still has "CHARTER CARDHOLDER" printed on your card.

jenperich
01-31-2012, 12:20 PM
At first my husband said "no way" to adding a fee to our card. But then he crunched the numbers and realized it made sense, as long as we always pay our balance off. So, I just went online and signed up! Can't wait to start earning more!

The Hitchhiking Ghost
01-31-2012, 02:09 PM
The only Target card available at our local store is the Red DEBIT Card. I don't want a Target debit card. Also, we asked if DH could sign up for the Target card and if I could be an authorized user. I don't want any other cards in my name, but I am the one that does all the shopping. They said "no", that the card would only be in DH's name. I would have to apply for a card in my own name if I wanted to be able to use it. Too many restrictions for us.

When I signed up for the RedCard it gave me two choices, to set it up as a debit card, or as a regular credit card. Once I had my card I simply went on line and had a 2nd card issued in my wife's name (same account #). I'm surprised that Target would vary their policies by region, maybe? Might want to check again to see if there are multiple options on how you want your card (credit vs. debit).

Only thing I don't like about it is that you only get 5% discount on what you charge to your RedCard. If you used a $200 gift card, you wouldn't get the 5% off on that portion of the purchase. I understand why they do it, but I'd prefer that I choose my own credit card and still get the 5%. Won't happen, but that's what I'd like.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
01-31-2012, 02:18 PM
I think it was Capitol One. Please report back when you get the card if it still has "CHARTER CARDHOLDER" printed on your card.

I think it was Bank of America in the early days, and the card said "Day 1 Member" and then later with the switch to Chase it says "Charter Cardmember".

She said it would be 3-5 days to get the new cards issued. I'll be sure to look and report back.

AgentC
01-31-2012, 02:33 PM
When I signed up for the RedCard it gave me two choices, to set it up as a debit card, or as a regular credit card. Once I had my card I simply went on line and had a 2nd card issued in my wife's name (same account #). I'm surprised that Target would vary their policies by region, maybe? Might want to check again to see if there are multiple options on how you want your card (credit vs. debit).

Only thing I don't like about it is that you only get 5% discount on what you charge to your RedCard. If you used a $200 gift card, you wouldn't get the 5% off on that portion of the purchase. I understand why they do it, but I'd prefer that I choose my own credit card and still get the 5%. Won't happen, but that's what I'd like.

The Target debit card is actually isn't a true debit card. It is a preapproved ACH draft similiar to writing a check in Target/Walmart and having it converted to an electronic check. The card is just a vehicle to store your information.

If you are a debit card/cash user it makes a lot of sense to get the card through Target. It is a win for the customer because you get the 5% off and the ACH transaction generally takes 1 additional day to clear than if you used your own card. Target doesn't have to pay the interchange rate which saves them money.

But if you like to put everything on a credit card and pay it off, this is not the method for you. Since I am in Target daily, it makes a lot of sense for me.

Not sure why they wouldn't let Natalie be an authorized user. I do know they are not allowing applications for the regular Target card and pushing the Target Visa.

BrerGnat
01-31-2012, 02:53 PM
But if you like to put everything on a credit card and pay it off, this is not the method for you. Since I am in Target daily, it makes a lot of sense for me.

Not sure why they wouldn't let Natalie be an authorized user. I do know they are not allowing applications for the regular Target card and pushing the Target Visa.

This is us. We don't generally have much money (if any) in our checking account. We put everything on our AMEX (EVERYTHING, bills included) and make a huge lump payment at each payday. Any additional money we have gets moved into a savings account. I don't like to have a lot of money in the checking acct, so I don't want another debit card.

When we inquired about the Target card at the store, we were given an application for ONLY the Red Debit Visa. The cashier repeatedly said "it's not a credit card, it's a debit card." I asked if they had one that was a credit card, and she said "not anymore." She also said you could not add any additional users, and each person needed his/her own account, but she may have been wrong about that. I do know that she looked at the application, and there was not a spot to add any other users, so maybe that's why she assumed she couldn't.

In any event, I've cut back on my Target trips lately...it's one of my goals for this year. :blush:

AgentC
01-31-2012, 03:10 PM
T
In any event, I've cut back on my Target trips lately...it's one of my goals for this year. :blush:

It should be my goal too! I live less than 10 minutes from a Target and am there way too much! :D

VWL Mom
01-31-2012, 04:07 PM
Keep in mind that the amounts being charged are not based on what you buy but where you buy it. Walmart and Meijer are classified as grocery stores, so everything you spend there would count towards the extra 2%.

I would suggest checking this before purchasing. I buy a lot of grocery items at Wal-Mart and it is listed on my YE as wholesale/discount stores not grocery. Must be based on how it is filed by individual stores in your area.

Kathy Jetson
01-31-2012, 04:39 PM
I would suggest checking this before purchasing. I buy a lot of grocery items at Wal-Mart and it is listed on my YE as wholesale/discount stores not grocery. Must be based on how it is filed by individual stores in your area.

I do all my shopping at Wal-mart and if that DOES count for "grocery" then I might want to change to the new card also.

Dyanna
02-01-2012, 09:40 AM
On my yearly summary Walmart is not considered a grocery store but Target is. Does anyone know as a current Disney Visa card holder are you able to get the promotion of the $100 credit or is it for those who have never held the card before?

BrerGnat
02-01-2012, 09:43 AM
Does anyone know as a current Disney Visa card holder are you able to get the promotion of the $100 credit or is it for those who have never held the card before?

The offer said for NEW cardmembers only.

brownie
02-01-2012, 11:03 AM
Do you have to call to do it?

I did it online. I logged into my Chase account and followed a link from there. There's also a link in the mailer we received.

Our current cards say "Day 1." All the pictures in the mailer we received show "Cardmember Since Day 1," so I'm thinking this will not change.

brivers222
02-01-2012, 12:05 PM
okay so dumb question... I found the place to upgrade online.... If i do this will i lose access to my Current Disney Visa while the other one is in the mail???

I am liking how we can use the disney dollars earned to apply them money off airline tickets

The Hitchhiking Ghost
02-02-2012, 10:04 AM
okay so dumb question... I found the place to upgrade online.... If i do this will i lose access to my Current Disney Visa while the other one is in the mail???

I am liking how we can use the disney dollars earned to apply them money off airline tickets

I'm still using and have used my "old" Disney Visa while waiting for the new one. I have not noticed any interruption in my ability to use it or to check my account on line. The a/c # is to remain the same, just a new expiration date. My guess once the new card arrives we will have to activate it, which should effectively shut down the old one, hopefully.

AirlineGuy07
02-02-2012, 11:49 AM
My DW didn't like the idea of paying an annual fee but we crunched the numbers and we spend enough each year in groceries, gas and restaurants to make it worth it. However if they decide to up the annual fee every year or every two years then I'm back to the original Disney VISA.

brivers222
02-02-2012, 11:55 AM
My DW didn't like the idea of paying an annual fee but we crunched the numbers and we spend enough each year in groceries, gas and restaurants to make it worth it. However if they decide to up the annual fee every year or every two years then I'm back to the original Disney VISA.

its disney infused, my guess would be semi annually prices will raise ;)

Kenny1113
02-02-2012, 04:51 PM
I just got the flyer in the mail! I heard about it first here! :thumbsup: I originally though I would not do it because of the annual fee. However, with the promo for 5% the first 3 months it might be worth it for the first year at least.

brivers222
02-02-2012, 11:13 PM
I checked my year end statments over the last two years and it doesnt list Walmart under grocery :(

Dyanna
02-03-2012, 10:49 AM
I checked my year end statments over the last two years and it doesnt list Walmart under grocery :(

Walmart is not listed under my statements as grocery as well but Target is. So I guess I will be doing more shopping at Target just for the extra points. Just wish the $100 credit promotion was avail to all even the ones who are transferring to the Premier card, not just new applicants.

Kathy Jetson
02-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Hey everyone I just got off the phone with Chase and asked them about Wal-mart. I was told because some Wal-marts list themselves as grocery and some do not and the same with Target that they will be counting ALL Wal-mart and Target as grocery. Except the automotive department. I was also told if they raised the fee they would send a letter to opt out and go back to the original card. So I'm thinking this sounds like a good deal. Am I missing something?

The Hitchhiking Ghost
02-04-2012, 06:17 PM
Hey everyone I just got off the phone with Chase and asked them about Wal-mart. I was told because some Wal-marts list themselves as grocery and some do not and the same with Target that they will be counting ALL Wal-mart and Target as grocery. Except the automotive department. I was also told if they raised the fee they would send a letter to opt out and go back to the original card. So I'm thinking this sounds like a good deal. Am I missing something?

Like a lot of Disney discounts (ie the free DDP) it's never a slam dunk if its worthwhile or a really good deal. Most of us can do the calculations and for my family, we'll probably come out ahead $100-150 in the first year even with the $49 annual fee, so its worth trying for a year.

To confirm what you said about Target/Walmart. I upgraded my card earlier this week (still haven't received it yet:mad:) but I check my on-line statement daily. I noticed that my latest statement just became available. Here is what I noted:

-If you upgrade your card midmonth, they will convert points up to that point, then start at the new level, even if you haven't gotten the card yet (like in my case)

-Based on what I can tell, I had 4 charges at the end of my statement that qualified at the new 2% rate, including Target. What it appears is that even though we had little or no groceries on the charge, it all went in at 2%:party: so that's really a good deal. Unfortunately we didn't charge any dinner or gas during that period.

-5% bonus. Not sure how this will work. My statement clearly itemized the months rewards earned at 2% and those earned at 1% but I did not see any additional 3%. Maybe it starts at the beginning of a full billing period/cycle and continues for 3 months. I'll have to wait another month to see how the next statement breaks it out.

Unfortunately its going to be hard to reconcile what you earned. My statement simply said 2% =.... and 1% = .... but didn't give any calculation as to how they got to it, although I could back into it as I only had 4 charges. But a typical month with 30-50 charges, not so easy.

Maybe they'll put some kind of code next to the charge or better yet, list the 2% charges in one section and the 1% in another. Again, will need to wait and see.

But so far so good.:thumbsup:

Kathy Jetson
02-05-2012, 01:56 AM
Like a lot of Disney discounts (ie the free DDP) it's never a slam dunk if its worthwhile or a really good deal. Most of us can do the calculations and for my family, we'll probably come out ahead $100-150 in the first year even with the $49 annual fee, so its worth trying for a year.

To confirm what you said about Target/Walmart. I upgraded my card earlier this week (still haven't received it yet:mad:) but I check my on-line statement daily. I noticed that my latest statement just became available. Here is what I noted:

-If you upgrade your card midmonth, they will convert points up to that point, then start at the new level, even if you haven't gotten the card yet (like in my case)

-Based on what I can tell, I had 4 charges at the end of my statement that qualified at the new 2% rate, including Target. What it appears is that even though we had little or no groceries on the charge, it all went in at 2%:party: so that's really a good deal. Unfortunately we didn't charge any dinner or gas during that period.

-5% bonus. Not sure how this will work. My statement clearly itemized the months rewards earned at 2% and those earned at 1% but I did not see any additional 3%. Maybe it starts at the beginning of a full billing period/cycle and continues for 3 months. I'll have to wait another month to see how the next statement breaks it out.

Unfortunately its going to be hard to reconcile what you earned. My statement simply said 2% =.... and 1% = .... but didn't give any calculation as to how they got to it, although I could back into it as I only had 4 charges. But a typical month with 30-50 charges, not so easy.

Maybe they'll put some kind of code next to the charge or better yet, list the 2% charges in one section and the 1% in another. Again, will need to wait and see.

But so far so good.:thumbsup:

Thank you for the info! I forgot to ask them while I was on the phone when they charge the $49 I have around 280 points right now and i'm going to transfer all my points in May and use them for my room payment when I check in in June. I would hate to lose $49 right off the bat.

luvdiznee
02-05-2012, 07:53 AM
I have a Chase Visa and MC, both with no fees. My MC is giving me 5% for certain months on certain purchases. So while I usually charge gas, (unless my MC is not offering me the 5% on it) at other times I pay cash as there are some gas stations in our area that will give it to you cheaper if you pay by cash.

As far as groceries, I never charge them.

And dining, only if I have to. But usually if I do, then I prefer not to go out. We just went out Friday and it was paid with cash, so that was not a problem. So, though I have been offered the Premier Visa, I will pass on it.

Gregandmel
02-05-2012, 09:47 AM
We also have a Charter Cardmember imprinted on our card and we use it for nearly everything that we can (and pay it off each month). I loved the new card designs, and although we would probably come out ahead in points at the end of the year, I don't want to pay a fee for a card. So we are staying put.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
02-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Thank you for the info! I forgot to ask them while I was on the phone when they charge the $49 I have around 280 points right now and i'm going to transfer all my points in May and use them for my room payment when I check in in June. I would hate to lose $49 right off the bat.

I'd be surprised if they took the $49 off of your reward point balance. Generally it just shows up on your statement as a charge and you pay it end of month with the rest of that month's charges.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
02-06-2012, 10:29 AM
We also have a Charter Cardmember imprinted on our card and we use it for nearly everything that we can (and pay it off each month). I loved the new card designs, and although we would probably come out ahead in points at the end of the year, I don't want to pay a fee for a card. So we are staying put.

Sometimes you simply have to bite the bullet. Nobody hates paying annual fees more than I do. I probably went 20 years without paying an annual fee, but I pay $95 a year for a Delta Amex that I don't even use, but if I fly once a year with my family, the card covers all my baggage fees, so I save more despite still paying $95.

Same with the new Disney Premiere Visa. Its like someone saying, "if you give me $50, then I'll give you $150 back", seems silly, but in then end I come out the better.

So I swallow my pride (or righteous indignation) and pay the fees and hopefully will come out all the better.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
02-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Alright, took about a week, but my new Disney Premier Visa cards arrived yesterday:thumbsup:

Here's what I can say so far:

1. The newly issued cards still say "Charter Cardmember" (someday it would be nice if this actually resulted in a tangible benefit)

2. 16 digit account number is the same.

3. Expiration date HAS changed, so if you have reoccuring charges built in as "auto-deducts" you most likely will need to update your card profile at these sites.

4. 3 digit security code on the back of the card HAS changed too.

5. New cards look great!!

6. You can have different designs for each cardholder, even if its same account #. I didn't know you could do this, all these years my DW and I always had the same design. When I called in and upgraded I asked about this and was told, yes, you can have different designs issued. I have red Mickey Sorcerer (looks really nice!) and my DW the enchanted castle (looks good too, but not as cool).

I haven't had a chance to activate it yet, but I have not seen any on-line account interruptions or changes, so that seems to be a seamless transition, but I'll monitor it and see if anything changes once I validate the card.

I haven't seen the annual fee charged yet either, but assume it will show up simply as a fee charge on the monthly statement.

So far so good, only thing I haven't seen yet is how they will do the 5% during the promo period. Probably will have to wait until next month to see our statement.

brownie
02-08-2012, 10:14 AM
6. You can have different designs for each cardholder, even if its same account #. I didn't know you could do this, all these years my DW and I always had the same design. When I called in and upgraded I asked about this and was told, yes, you can have different designs issued. I have red Mickey Sorcerer (looks really nice!) and my DW the enchanted castle (looks good too, but not as cool).

I think it was last year that they started letting you pick different designs for cards on the same account. We've had different designs on ours since last summer.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
02-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Looking at my card, and at my old one I can't believe I missed the "day 1". I think on the older BOA cards it was more prevalent, on the new premiere ones it still says in fine print "cardmember since" then in upraised letters "Day 1". Then below that is my name and then below that it says "Charter Cardmember".

Also, when I validated the card last night the Chase service member said that it was possible that the 3% bonus that we get for the 1st 90 days might lag the rest of the rewards. Since the 1% and 2% rewards are constant they are awarded at the end of each billing cycle. The add'l 3% may follow on a month or so lag. Will have to watch and see.

grumpyguy
02-08-2012, 12:09 PM
Got my info in the mail.Did some math and opted Not to go for it...
Doesn't mean I won't be spending a significant amount of my income on Disney related things though !!:thumbsup:

DizneyRox
02-08-2012, 02:40 PM
I think it was last year that they started letting you pick different designs for cards on the same account. We've had different designs on ours since last summer.
We've always had different designs. We were told, order one of the designs, then call back and order a different one. The info on the cards was the same, so no problems using one or the other. We just fully destroyed the one(s) we didn't want.

It was wasteful, but no charge to me, so I changed my design often.

VWL Mom
02-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Doesn't mean I won't be spending a significant amount of my income on Disney related things though !!:thumbsup:

But the bonus is good for Disney locations, too :mickey:

floridamom
02-10-2012, 10:54 AM
We are not currently Disney Visa holders but just received the Premier ($49 fee) offer in the mail yesterday. The "pot sweetener" on this one is a $200 Disney gift card once you make your first purchase on the card. We normally put everything we can on our Amex and pay it off, but a few shops and gas stations in our area don't accept it. In those cases we use a Bank of America Visa we also carry. Now I am wondering if I should replace that.

From a credit standpoint, if we decide to go with the Disney Visa, I am wondering if would it be better to close the BOA Visa account first, or keep it open and add the new one. We have an excellent credit score so I don't want to compromise it. Anyone have any expertise in that area?

The Hitchhiking Ghost
02-10-2012, 11:52 AM
We are not currently Disney Visa holders but just received the Premier ($49 fee) offer in the mail yesterday. The "pot sweetener" on this one is a $200 Disney gift card once you make your first purchase on the card. We normally put everything we can on our Amex and pay it off, but a few shops and gas stations in our area don't accept it. In those cases we use a Bank of America Visa we also carry. Now I am wondering if I should replace that.

From a credit standpoint, if we decide to go with the Disney Visa, I am wondering if would it be better to close the BOA Visa account first, or keep it open and add the new one. We have an excellent credit score so I don't want to compromise it. Anyone have any expertise in that area?

Check your offer again to make certain you have it correct. The Disney Rewards website has it as a $100 gift card when a new customer gets the premiere $49 annual fee card and $50 if they choose the basic no annual fee card. So if you got one that gives you $200, its a no brainer, jump on it.

As far as credit history, I'm no expert, but I believe the only time having multiple credit cards can get you in trouble (other than maxing them all out) is if you were applying for a loan. They could potentially say, even if you had $0 balances on all but one of them, that potentially you have 5 cards with $20,000 credit limits so you potentially have the ability for $100,000 of debt (even though the balances are $0).

As far as your credit score, I think multiple cards actually help your score, assuming you are making all the necessary monthly payments. Credit agencies like to see that you can handle debt and manage it properly, so having an extra Visa shouldn't really be a factor if you want to keep it. We have a Royal Caribbean card that I keep active even though we currently don't use it, as well as a Delta Amex plus I think a credit union issued one that I don't even know where it is, and our score is at 800. So I would say keep the extra card if you want it, or cancel it, either way it really shouldn't impact your credit score.

disneynarula
02-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Normally I too am against cc that charge annual fees. I will have DH (The Math Guy) see how it will work out for us.

NJGIRL
02-10-2012, 04:03 PM

I agree. There is no reason to pay an annual fee for a credit card when so many are free. Plus they run "specials" all of the time giving extra percentages for certain purchases.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
02-10-2012, 05:31 PM
I agree. There is no reason to pay an annual fee for a credit card when so many are free. Plus they run "specials" all of the time giving extra percentages for certain purchases.

What specials have they been running? I've had the card since day 1. Back when it was a BOA issued card they would occassionaly (twice as I recall) offer a 3% reward for a 3 month window. But since its been a Chase issued card I'm not recalling any specials where they give extra percentages. I see it quite a bit on my Royal Caribbean BOA card, "earn and extra 5%" promotion, but they cap it at $25 in reward dollars. I have not seen that on my Disney Visa at all. If they are doing specials just to targeted groups I'd love to know about it.

There is a reason to pay an annual fee. I am giving them $50 and they are in turn giving me back $150. I come out at least $100 ahead, assuming we go to Disney World sometime in the near future.

If you are already a current Disney Visa card holder and you use it as your primary card, it should be pretty simple to figure out if its worth it or not. If you earn more "new" reward dollars than the cost of the annual fee, then it makes total sense to do it. If the increased % levels don't result in at least $49 in rewards, then it doesn't make sense.

DizneyRox
02-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Actually, the enhanced rewards are not universal. We have never gotten an offer of extra rewards for spending such and such and we've been card holders since day 1. We use ours for everything, so we get tons of rewards. Other people I know that use it infrequently get those offers all the time.

brownie
02-11-2012, 11:57 AM
We've had several times where we've received bonus rewards for some period of time since it's been with Chase.

DizneyRox
02-16-2012, 06:53 PM
The new cards do look nice. A step up from the older designs. They look better in person.

Now to start earning some rewards... Look out, here I come!

brownie
02-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Received our cards yesterday. They still say Member Since Day 1 and Charter Cardmember.

DizneyRox
02-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Question:

What's the difference between Day 1 and Charter Cardmember?

You can't have both, right? For some reason, I was assuming that they were one in the same, but then I looked at mine and it's Day 1, no charter, etc. Now I seeing some say Day 1 AND Charter and I'm back to being confused.

Is this two different cards? Maybe one says Day 1 and the spouse got one later that year on the same account and it's just "charter". Not that it makes a lick of difference since there's no benefit. Just has me thinking, that's all...

lindique
02-17-2012, 07:13 PM
My card (old model) says both Day 1 and Charter Cardmember on it.

mdhiggin
02-17-2012, 11:25 PM
We too got the premier visa. Did anyone notice the new cards have a picture on the back as well?

Disney Doll
02-18-2012, 09:24 AM
Yep, I chose the castle design specifically because the back was so cool. The front is the castle by day and the back is the castle with fireworks at night. DH got the sorcerer Mickey card and the back has the brooms carrying the buckets. Super cute!

I'll agree that credit cards with fees are not usually something I would consider. However, we checked our statement history and grocery was clearly our most used category so having the extra reward there will more than make up for the $49.

brownie
02-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Ours have always had both Day 1 and Charter Cardmember, as far as I can remember.

The Hitchhiking Ghost
02-18-2012, 09:23 PM
Ours have always had both Day 1 and Charter Cardmember, as far as I can remember.

When we first ordered the Disney Visa I'm pretty certain it was issued by Bank of America. When we signed up for it we got a pin that said Day 1 member and then the visa card also said Day 1 member. I don't think the original cards made reference to "Charter Member", I believe that was added at some point when Chase took over the card.

Maybe day 1 member is a reference to cardholders that enrolled for the card when it was first issued as a BOA card and then when it went to Chase if you enrolled right away you became a "charter member", so if you held the card from the beginning you are both.

Unfortunately as far as I can tell, neither of the references bring any add'l benefits.

DizneyRox
02-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Problem is mine say Day 1 not Charter...

Again, without a benefit, too much energy has been wasted so far thinking about it. No biggie...