PDA

View Full Version : Timing and travel ques - arrival at MCO to Pop to Boma

ewasilau
01-26-2012, 02:09 AM
Hi all -

As I'm planning dinner for our arrival day on 2/29, I'm wondering if I've timed it right and if the transportation will work out.

We arrive at MCO at 5:25 and we have ADRs at Boma at 8:15 - will that work? We are taking ME, and I am planning to check in at Pop, then take the bus to AK and then the bus to Boma - but will the bus have stopped running to AK since the park closes at 5? Will that take us too long even if it is running? I figured we would take a cab back to Pop from Boma but was hoping to utilize the bus to get there. (unless it just won't work)

Does anyone know how much a cab would run?

Thanks!

DizneyRox
01-26-2012, 05:46 AM
I say three hours minimum from the time you land. You may need more, AK will not be an option, MK wouldnt be smart do to the travel time.

Make sure you put what you need in your carry-on, I doubt you'll have your bags in time.

Cjsmom1811
01-26-2012, 07:09 AM
ME will take your bags to POP. You could skip check in, check in online. Go right to dinner.
Hop in a cab or on a bus. The bags will take a little time getting to your room. Is changing clothes an issue?

disneynarula
01-26-2012, 10:39 AM
We did something similar with SSR resort last year. You may want to consider using a cab rather than disney transport to get to Boma. That's cutting it really close.

ewasilau
01-26-2012, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the input. I'm not sure we'll be checking bags (it's a short trip) but if we did, based on the comments above, would it then be possible to take ME directly to AKL while our bags go to Pop? Or do we have to go to Pop first?

If that doesn't work, maybe we just have to take a cab each way.

Is there anywhere to go for a birthday dinner that would be easy, transportation-wise? I don't want to do the food court at Pop.

DANAM
01-27-2012, 12:15 AM
I am wonder if you call the hotel directly, if they will hold your bags for you for an hour or two while you eat. That way you can take ME directly to that hotel. I feel like they would do it as long as you ask in advance. I mean you are staying at another hotel on property. Can hurt to call and ask.

DizneyRox
01-27-2012, 03:25 AM
ME brings you to your hotel POP, not AKL.

Much of the problem is, you are assuming that your airplane is going to be on time. Airport delays are not unheard of, so it would be real easy to eat 30 minutes or more from your window without even getting off the plane. Then you have the walk through the airport to ground transportation with bathroom stops, etc.

Your ME bus could share with three other hotes, and could be the last stop. WDW is about 35 minutes from the airport if you catch the lights, etc, that doesn't take into account waiting for the bus, and also waiting for it to fill up.

Then, someplace like POP could have a lot of people checking in/out. Plus the time to get to your room, drop off you stuff, freshen up for the trip to dinner, etc. If you're lucky you may be right near the bus stop, maybe not.

Finally, getting from resort to resort usually involves two bus rides, with possibly a 20 minute wait for each. AKL is one that you don't really have much choice. There are resorts that you can "cheat". For example, Chef Mickey's can be gotten to by taking a bus to MK and a quick walk. Cape May Cafe, bus to MGM and walk. Walking however takes some time too.

In a best case, you could be walking into a park 1 hour after touchdown at MCO, I've done it and there are reports of others doing it. However, you never know... Direct personal transportation will save you a ton of time, at the cost of money.

disneynarula
01-27-2012, 06:24 AM
You could eat somewhere at Downtown Disney.
Then you would only have to worry about getting to your hotel and then to Downtown Disney.You would not have to deal with park entrances or security lines. How "special" you want the birthday dinner to be? Is it for a child or an adult? Rainforest Cafe is fun. We actually love the Wolfgang Puck express. There are tons of nice places to eat there and they stay open later.

I would call Disney directly and see if you can take the bus directly to AKL if you heart is set on Boma instead of depending on speculation from other posters.