PDA

View Full Version : Best Moderate Resort for Family w/9yr boy

BugsGrama
01-25-2012, 11:55 PM
We are planning a trip and would like some recommendations. We have always stayed at WL, because we like the size and the proximity to MK. We are looking at POFQ as an option. Does anyone have any other suggestions? :mickey:

RedSoxandPatsfan
01-26-2012, 06:23 AM
CBR pirate room is very cool for someone that age. The main pool area is also themed that way. When we went there my son was that age and he loved it. Big spread out resort though, but we liked it overall.

Jillirose
01-26-2012, 07:16 AM
My kids loved CB atmosphere and pool.

brownie
01-26-2012, 11:13 AM
It really depends on what you want and how you're going to spend your time. What are the 9 year old's interests? If there's any interest in pirates, I'd probably lean towards Caribbean Beach Resort. If you're set on Port Orleans and plan on swimming, I'd might stay at Port Orleans Riverside over Port Orleans French Quarter due to the main pool at Riverside (although you can use the pools at Riverside if you're staying at French Quarter.)

buzznwoodysmom
01-26-2012, 12:11 PM
We loved POFQ, except for one thing....the pool. My boys, ages 10 and 8 at the time thought the pool was rather lame. They said the slide was a "baby slide". The good thing is you can also use the pool at POR since these two resorts are "sister resorts".

My boys' favorite moderate resort is, hands down, CBR. They love the pirate rooms, and they LOVE the feature pool there.

darthmacho
01-26-2012, 02:55 PM
POFQ seemed nice enough when we visited, but if you really like WL, maybe POR Alligator Bayou section would at least give you similar 'woodsy' theming and provide a nice sit-down option in Boatwright's?

The pool was nice too.

DVC2004
01-26-2012, 04:00 PM
My boys (who are older) loved Coronado Springs. They really loved the pool with the Mayan Temple, and spitting jaguars on the water slide. We overall really enjoyed that resort. It is large, and it does host conventions so some don't like that. Rooms have recently been remodeled and feature queen beds I believe.

I would also say the Pirate themed room at CB is awesome- very themed. I am sure at his age he would love it. That was not my favorite resort, by my boys (and my husband!) loved that pirate room.

Darbylew
01-26-2012, 04:25 PM
CBR is great and so are the two resorts of
Port Orleans. I know whatever you choose it will be right for you and your family. Have a
fun time!! :mickey:

Kairi_7378
01-26-2012, 09:50 PM
I haven't stayed at CBR but those pirate rooms look like fun! I think that CSR's pool area is nicer than the PO pools. The PO resorts have the advantage of the boat ride to DTD.

Bottom line... pick the one where the theme appeals to you. They all have some nice advantages :-)

Mousemates
01-26-2012, 11:00 PM
while POFQ is our favorite mod...the theme, pool, atmosphere would to be least desirable for a 9 yr old boy. My first choice if the extra money isn't an issue would be the aforementioned pirate room at CBR, then CS because of the pool, slide etc (my son loved it when we were there and he was about that age then), next would POR because of the better main pool and slide.

disneynarula
01-27-2012, 05:49 AM
I think CBR has the best "theme" for little boys.

Melanie
01-27-2012, 06:50 AM
I have boys (12 and 13) and they've always loved Caribbean Beach and Coronado Springs.

We stayed at POFQ one time and they were less than impressed with that pool and themeing.

If I had to choose, I'd pick Coronado because it has always seemed less crowded to us. Both times we've stayed at Caribbean Beach in the last 2 years, the pool was so crowded we could hardly find a chair. Coronado never seems that crowded and is therefore that much more relaxing.

grumpypima
01-27-2012, 02:15 PM
We have two sons, 21-years old & 9-years old, and have stayed at all three moderates. These days our 21-year old will longer go to Disney with us, but says that if he ever returns he would want to stay at POR.
We just returned from a 4-day (MLK) weekend trip. We stayed at POR and our 9-year old loved it. He loved the pool area and the outdoor movies. He too loves WL and says WL is his all-time favorite.
None of us are interested in returning to CBR. The resort is beautiful but just not for us.
My favorite moderate is CSR. I love the pool area, the volleyball court, and the bar & grill area.
Through-out the course of our stay, I'd say we spend a fair amount of time at the resort so there needs to be enough entertainment for our children; while DH & I relax and enjoy ourselves.
One other tidbit of info, POR & CBR have nice sized game rooms, while CSR does not. Game rooms are not deal breakers for us but we've found they can be a nice "extra" for our children.