PDA

View Full Version : Universal Studios Orlando Janaury 25 Announcement

DizneyFreak2002
01-25-2012, 12:16 PM
2012 IS THE YEAR TO BE HERE!

Universal Orlando Resort to Offer More New Entertainment Experiences Across the Entire Destination than During Any Other Year in its History

Universal Releases First-Ever Looks at All-New Experiences, Including Upcoming Despicable Me Attraction, New Interactive Parade and Spectacular Nighttime Show

Orlando, Fla. (Jan. 25, 2012) – This year, Universal Orlando Resort will debut more adventure, excitement, laughter and awe-inspiring moments than ever before – making 2012 an extraordinary year to be here.

There will be something for everyone and every family. From a new Blue Man Group show and newly re-created experience inside one of Universal Orlando’s most popular attractions to a stunning parade, spectacular nighttime show and brand-new blockbuster attraction based on an incredibly popular film – Universal Orlando Resort is bringing guests more new entertainment across our entire destination in 2012 than during any other year in our history.

The new experiences will begin debuting in February. Guests will discover the exhilarating entertainment of a new Blue Man Group show; marvel at breathtaking new animation and effects in The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man; dance and celebrate with their favorite animated characters during Universal’s Superstar Parade and relive memorable moments from Universal Pictures most powerful and beloved films during the nighttime show Universal’s Cinematic Spectacular – 100 Years of Movie Memories. And coming this summer – families will laugh together as they are transformed into minions for an incredible adventure inside the new Despicable Me Minion Mayhem attraction.

Universal Orlando will also be marking the Universal Pictures Centennial Anniversary Celebration during 2012 with a series of events to be announced throughout the year.

“We are about to offer our guests a historic range of incredible new entertainment experiences,” said Alice Norsworthy, Executive Vice President of Marketing and Sales for Universal Orlando Resort. “This year will be filled with excitement and entertainment for the entire family.”

The new 2012 experiences at Universal Orlando Resort include:
Blue Man Group ~ Opening February 2012 at Universal CityWalk
Universal Orlando’s Blue Man Group show is taking their unique and captivating mash-up of high energy music, comedy, audience participation and collective exhilaration to another level. Featuring a new show environment, new music, new technology and new experiences, the show will allow audiences to join the Blue Men as they discover, engage and explore the world’s obsession with cutting-edge technology. Signature Blue Man Group moments combine with breathtakingly fun new pieces for an explosive evening of entertainment. New show elements include the curious Blue Men interacting with enormous “GiPads,” a funny and insightful look at contemporary communication vehicles, and a pulsating new finale with an original Blue Man Group music score that will have guests jumping to their feet. Look closely – you may even see the Blue Men take a spin on one of Universal Orlando's most popular attractions.

The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man ~ Experience March 2012 at Islands of Adventure
Universal Orlando is transforming what is already one of the most amazing attraction experiences ever created into what will feel like an all-new adventure. The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man will soon feature all-new, 4K digital high-definition animation, new high tech 3-D glasses and upgrades to the set, audio and lighting systems. The re-animation of the ride film will include an entirely new level of detail for guests to discover, including a cameo by legendary comic book icon and Spider-Man co-creator, Stan Lee.

Universal’s Superstar Parade ~ Opening Spring 2012 at Universal Studios Florida
Some of today’s most beloved characters and stories will bring new adventure to the streets of Universal Studios during Universal’s Superstar Parade – an all-new daily parade that features larger-than-life floats, state-of-the-art technology and hundreds of energetic street performers. Guests will sing and dance along with characters like the minions from Despicable Me, E.B. from the hit comedy, Hop, Nickelodeon’s Dora & Diego and SpongeBob SquarePants during the interactive experience. Guests will have the opportunity to enjoy performances and character meet and greets prior to the parade at select locations throughout the day.

Universal’s Cinematic Spectacular: 100 Years of Movie Memories ~ Opening Spring 2012 at Universal Studios Florida
Narrated by award-winning actor and recent Golden Globe - Cecil B. DeMille honoree, Morgan Freeman, Universal Orlando’s brand-new nighttime show, Universal’s Cinematic Spectacular, will celebrate the most powerful and emotional moments from Universal Pictures’ most iconic films – all on cutting-edge waterfall screens within the Universal Studios lagoon and surrounded by colorful fountains and pyrotechnics. The experience will take guests on a journey through epic cinematic moments filled with heroes, horror, laughter, good vs. evil and triumph. The new show opens this spring, runs all summer and then on select nights through the end of the year.

Despicable Me Minion Mayhem ~ Opening Summer 2012 at Universal Studios Florida
Universal Orlando’s newest attraction, Despicable Me Minion Mayhem, will take guests on an unforgettable 3-D adventure with their favorite characters from the hit film – Gru, Margo, Edith, Agnes and the mischievous minions. The experience begins when guests enter Gru’s home, where they learn that they’re being recruited to become minions and undergo “minion training.” Things don’t go as planned, and guests find themselves on a wildly hysterical journey with Gru and his daughters. Once guests make it through training, they join an interactive, minion-inspired dance party where they can show off their best moves.

Universal’s Creative team is working closely with Chris Meledandri’s Illumination Entertainment to bring this all-new adventure to life in the most authentic way possible. In fact, the beloved characters in the attraction will be voiced by the film’s original cast: Steve Carell (Gru), Miranda Cosgrove (Margo), Dana Gaier (Edith) and Elsie Fisher (Agnes). The ride’s experience is being developed by the same creative team that brought you the award-winning film, Despicable Me. The motion-picture event Despicable Me 2 arrives in theaters on July 3, 2013.

Other New Experiences Opening this Year
Hollywood Drive-In Golf, a unique 36-hole miniature golf experience inspired by the classic drive-in movie era, will open in February at Universal CityWalk.
A great, new immersive retail entertainment experience that will become home to SpongeBob SquarePants and other characters from the number one kids animated TV series, Nickelodeon’s SpongeBob SquarePants. It will open inside Universal Studios this year.
Minutes away from Universal Orlando, the popular Wet ‘n Wild water park will open its first interactive family water play area, this summer – allowing everyone in the family to splash and swim together. Amidst lush, tropical landscaping, the new area will feature 15 water slides and more than 100 soakers, jets, waterfalls and water cannons - making it the largest interactive water play experience in Florida.

DizneyFreak2002
01-25-2012, 12:17 PM
There is some concept art to go along with this press release... Mods, I would be happy to provide the art to you to post here in this thread, if you don't already have copies...

Melanie
01-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Concept Art from today's announcement - thanks DizneyFreak2002! :thumbsup:

First two are from Universal’s Cinematic Spectacular: 100 Years of Movie Memories. Has a World of Color feel to me.

Melanie
01-25-2012, 07:34 PM
Next two are from Hollywood Drive-In Golf which is located at CityWalk.

Melanie
01-25-2012, 07:40 PM
Next from Despicable Me Minion Mayhem, which looks really cute.

Melanie
01-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Next are a few of the floats from the Superstar Parade.

Melanie
01-25-2012, 07:55 PM
New Villains for Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man.

Melanie
01-25-2012, 07:57 PM
And finally a teaser poster for the new Blue Man show.

NJGIRL
01-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Wow! So much going on. I can't wait to see it. The art work makes it look really good. So glad to see there are finally some characters for boys, even though mine is too old at this point to care. :(

DizneyFreak2002
01-25-2012, 08:47 PM
Thanks for posting the pictures Mel... out of everything today I am more excited about the lagoon show...

buzznwoodysmom
01-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Does anyone know where, exactly, the new nighttime show is going to take place? Looking at the pictures I can't quite tell where that's located.

Melanie
01-25-2012, 09:09 PM
Does anyone know where, exactly, the new nighttime show is going to take place? Looking at the pictures I can't quite tell where that's located.

Looks like a very large area of Universal Studios park to me. I would guess there is nowhere you could see the whole production, therefore the show will be designed to view from multiple areas?

DizneyFreak2002
01-25-2012, 09:13 PM

Looks like a very large area of Universal Studios park to me. I would guess there is nowhere you could see the whole production, therefore the show will be designed to view from multiple areas?

The entire Lagoon... And there shouldn't be a spot where you can't see it from...

buzznwoodysmom
01-26-2012, 05:02 PM
So this would only be able to be viewed from Universal Studios Park, not Islands of Adventure or City Walk?

Our visits to Universal usually only include IOA, for Potterland, so not sure when we'll get to see this, but it looks really cool!

DizneyFreak2002
01-26-2012, 07:05 PM
So this would only be able to be viewed from Universal Studios Park, not Islands of Adventure or City Walk?

Our visits to Universal usually only include IOA, for Potterland, so not sure when we'll get to see this, but it looks really cool!

Assume you will only be able to see it from inside Universal Studios theme park, not IOA or CityWalk...

2Epcot
01-28-2012, 12:43 AM
Concept Art from today's announcement - thanks DizneyFreak2002! :thumbsup:

First two are from Universal’s Cinematic Spectacular: 100 Years of Movie Memories. Has a World of Color feel to me.

That was my thought as well, even before I saw the renderings.

DizneyFreak2002
01-28-2012, 02:03 AM
That was my thought as well, even before I saw the renderings.

Which can be a good thing... I am hopeful Universal pulls it off...

NJGIRL
01-29-2012, 10:05 AM

Denise, how old are your kids? Have you ever been to the Studio? Out of the two parks my son actually likes the Studio better. Try it if you haven't already, they will probably love it.

Jared
01-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Denise, how old are your kids? Have you ever been to the Studio? Out of the two parks my son actually likes the Studio better. Try it if you haven't already, they will probably love it.
I'm with you here. I think the Studios is definitely the better park. I find Islands of Adventure to be a bit overrated on the whole, with the success of the Wizarding World leading to undue hype for the rest of the park. Forbidden Journey and Spider-Man are two of the greatest attractions on Earth, but I think the Studios park has a better collection of rides overall.

I'd line up Men in Black, The Simpsons, Mummy, Terminator and Disaster against five individual experiences from any park. (Jaws, may your space be used well. Rest in peace.)

Melanie
01-30-2012, 06:52 PM
I'd line up Men in Black, The Simpsons, Mummy, Terminator and Disaster against five individual experiences from any park. (Jaws, may your space be used well. Rest in peace.)

True. And even with age, Twister and ET are nothing to sneeze at. And I know there is a lot of love for Rip, Rock It, Ride as well. Add in Despicable Me and the park is complete. I love Mummy. Worth it alone for a trip.

I feel much the same way about IOA, Jared. Spiderman is incredible (and I'm really looking forward to the enhancements), and of course Wizarding World is fantastic, but for me, the rest of the park leaves A LOT to be desired. A LOT. The whole Toon area is blah, Jurassic Park is a waste and Seuss only goes so far. The themeing at the entrance is kinda lost on me as well.

Jared
01-30-2012, 08:03 PM
True. And even with age, Twister and ET are nothing to sneeze at. And I know there is a lot of love for Rip, Rock It, Ride as well. Add in Despicable Me and the park is complete. I love Mummy. Worth it alone for a trip.

I feel much the same way about IOA, Jared. Spiderman is incredible (and I'm really looking forward to the enhancements), and of course Wizarding World is fantastic, but for me, the rest of the park leaves A LOT to be desired. A LOT. The whole Toon area is blah, Jurassic Park is a waste and Seuss only goes so far. The themeing at the entrance is kinda lost on me as well.
Yeah, I still can't exactly figure out what's going on with Islands' "Main Street." I get that it's going for this mysterious "adventure" theme, but it leads to a bunch of lands themed to franchises. I think Port of Entry works well with Lost Continent, but the Wizarding World took most of that island's space. I always thought Lost Continent was actually the best themed section of the entire park, but its lack of attractions made it pretty useless.

I totally agree with you about Toon Lagoon -- such a waste of some awesome characters that never get enough credit. I actually like the main Jurassic Park water ride, but there's really nothing else there worth seeing.

Honestly, I think I'm done with Islands of Adventure for a while. I've now seen the Wizarding World three times. It's spectacular, but I don't feel the same pull to keep revisiting it the way I do the Disney parks. (It doesn't help that the Forbidden Journey ride made me feel quite ill the last time I rode. Not sure what happened there.)

I'll probably stick to just the Studios park for a while, especially with this Potter expansion supposedly going into the Jaws plot. (That said, I am looking forward to the Spidey enhancements, so I may end up changing my mind.)

NJGIRL
01-31-2012, 11:58 AM
I think that the "powers that be" knew that IOA was a little weak (I still really like the park) and that's why they went after Harry Potter. I think that with it's success they will only keep bettering and adding to IOA. My prediction would be that in a few years IOA will be just as good as the Studio.

Jared
01-31-2012, 03:24 PM
I think that the "powers that be" knew that IOA was a little weak (I still really like the park) and that's why they went after Harry Potter. I think that with it's success they will only keep bettering and adding to IOA. My prediction would be that in a few years IOA will be just as good as the Studio.
Definitely possible. The updated Spider-Man attraction will add a lot to the park. But with more Potter supposedly taking the Jaws plot, the Studios seems to only be getting better!

DizneyFreak2002
02-01-2012, 12:48 AM
Definitely possible. The updated Spider-Man attraction will add a lot to the park. But with more Potter supposedly taking the Jaws plot, the Studios seems to only be getting better!

Ahhh if only Lord of the Rings would make its way into IOA somewhere, somehow...

Jared
02-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Ahhh if only Lord of the Rings would make its way into IOA somewhere, somehow...
But that would mean the death of the Lost Continent altogether! The mystical water fountain there needs a home.

(But I wouldn't be at all surprised if that franchise winds up in Islands of Adventure within the next decade.)

DizneyFreak2002
02-02-2012, 02:19 AM
But that would mean the death of the Lost Continent altogether! The mystical water fountain there needs a home.

(But I wouldn't be at all surprised if that franchise winds up in Islands of Adventure within the next decade.)

LC is going anyway... It really is a waste of a land now... With Sinbad becoming the Hogwarts train station, and Posieden closing, LC is just asking for a remake... PLEASE LET IT BE LORD OF THE RINGS!!!!!! Something tells me, more Potter there though...

NJGIRL
02-02-2012, 06:58 AM
LC is going anyway... It really is a waste of a land now... With Sinbad becoming the Hogwarts train station, and Posieden closing, LC is just asking for a remake... PLEASE LET IT BE LORD OF THE RINGS!!!!!! Something tells me, more Potter there though...

I liked Posiedon but our last few visits it broke down while we were inside. :( Sinbad, not so much, I found the show boring, so I'm not sad to see that go. I'm OK with more Potter as long as they keep doing quality attractions and not just more stores.

DizneyFreak2002
02-02-2012, 11:34 AM
I liked Posiedon but our last few visits it broke down while we were inside. :( Sinbad, not so much, I found the show boring, so I'm not sad to see that go. I'm OK with more Potter as long as they keep doing quality attractions and not just more stores.

Since London/Diagon alley will be in Universal, and since JK Rowling has say over the content, what could possibly go into LC area for Potter??? The only thing that makes sense is the Hogwarts train station in Sinbad... Rowling is staying true to the word she created, so what is by Hogsmeade that can go into LC??? I really think LC needs to become a newly themed island because after Diagon Alley in Uni, I just don't see anything else in Potter that can be put into the park...

Jared
02-02-2012, 11:35 AM
They may as well theme the entire park to Harry Potter at this rate. It's a shame Universal decided to let Lost Continent rot. In my mind, it is the single best thematic environment Universal Creative has ever envisioned. But they ruined it by putting no worthwhile attractions there.

I suppose all is OK if they use the space for more groundbreaking attractions (rather than stores), but this is so representative of the issues facing both Disney and Universal these days: They are too scared to make attractions that aren't tied to a franchise. Pirates of the Caribbean and The Haunted Mansion and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad would never be approved today.

DizneyFreak2002
02-02-2012, 05:40 PM
They may as well theme the entire park to Harry Potter at this rate. It's a shame Universal decided to let Lost Continent rot. In my mind, it is the single best thematic environment Universal Creative has ever envisioned. But they ruined it by putting no worthwhile attractions there.

I suppose all is OK if they use the space for more groundbreaking attractions (rather than stores), but this is so representative of the issues facing both Disney and Universal these days: They are too scared to make attractions that aren't tied to a franchise. Pirates of the Caribbean and The Haunted Mansion and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad would never be approved today.

You are right.... But as of now, only a part fo LC, Sinbad's area, is going Potter, to accommodate the train station... The rest of LC, I just can't see it being Potter... I just cannot find any other portion of the Potter universe to put there that makes sense... JK Rowling wants the Potter areas to make sense theme-wise... That's why Diagon Alley won't be in LC as was originally planned... In the Potter Universe, Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley are no where near each other... So, what else can go there???

redunzl5
02-03-2012, 04:14 PM
any info out there on a re-opening date for Spiderman at IoA?

we're at Disney 3/3-3/9, and would like to spend a day at Universal....

DizneyFreak2002
02-03-2012, 04:45 PM
any info out there on a re-opening date for Spiderman at IoA?

we're at Disney 3/3-3/9, and would like to spend a day at Universal....

Chances are Spiderman will still be closed.. The ride is scheduled to close February 8th for at least 6 weeks... That will keep the ride closed through most of March...