PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Living Club 2012

garymacd
01-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Hi All.

Well , Patricia has posted her desire to run a marathon at WDW next year for her 25th birthday and I think we all wish her well and will send her quiet or not so quiet encouragement.

Where are you in your plans for a healthy year?

I have not had a great fall this year. My family spent most of the past 5 to 6 months running back and forth to the hospital looking after our mother. She died on December 28th after a long, hard battle that started with salmonella poisoning and ended with her death due to c. Diff. and uncontrolled congestive heart failure.

We didn't have time to exercise properly or eat well. Most meals were on the run or grabbing something at the hospital - not highly recommended.

But, I am back on the P90X program as of January 10th and feel better already. It's hard work, but if if wasn't hard, it wouldn't be work, would it?

I will start off with the first healthy living tip for 2012:

DON'T EAT EGGS 3 WEEKS PAST THEIR EXPIRY DATE!

That can lead to salmonella.

What are your healthy living tips? What are your goals?

Would one of the Mods please make this a Sticky thread? Thanks.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-25-2012, 12:26 PM
What are we doing in my household in 2012 - we are walking a minimum of 30 minutes every day and limiting our dinners out to once a week and lunch out once a week.

We also don't over use antibacterial soaps and hand sanitizers.

garymacd
01-26-2012, 11:41 AM
We also don't over use antibacterial soaps and hand sanitizers.

That is an excellent point. You don't really need anti-bacterial soap and sanitisers all the time.

The simple action of wetting and rubbing your hands briskly for 15 seconds will kill most bacteria. Soap helps the water get into all the nooks and crannies.

The only time you really need waterless hand sanitisers is when you don't have soap and water. We use it extensively in the field when we don't have regular facilities available, but always follow it up with a good scrub when we get back to the station.

The only time you need anti-bacterial soap is when you have been handling infected bodily fluids, or those you suspect of being infected. The problem now is to try and find a liquid soap that doesn't contain triclosan, benzalkonium chloride or isopropyl alcohol in it.

If you are going to use an alcohol-based waterless hand sanitiser, make sure it has at least 70% isopropyl alcohol in it. Anything less just gets the germs drunk and mad and more resistant to the killing effects of alcohol. (I know: facetious statement and not 100% accurate, but that's pretty much what it comes down to.)

How did we survive for millions of years without these products?

magicofdisney
01-26-2012, 01:20 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your loss, Gary. :( I understand how that kind of schedule can wreak havoc on your eating goals.

I began kettlebell workouts this year. I'm doing it from the comfort of my own home using various videos. So far, so good. Something I find quite interesting is how I don't really feel it until about 24hrs after the workout. In fact, the very first workout left me useless for almost 3 days. Sitting down was like an experiment in medieval torture. :blush: Nonetheless, I'm excited to add to my video collection. So far my trainers consist of Bob Harper, Jillian Michaels, and Amy Bento. Like most others, I'm in it for the long haul, so we'll see how it progress. :)

TheVBs
01-26-2012, 01:42 PM
Very sorry about your mother. :(

I'm having a tough time getting off those last 10lbs I'd like to lose. I've upped my workout to include more core exercises, more reps and now do at least 3 miles on the treadmill at over 4mph, 5/6 days a week. I'm trying to track my food and calories more consistently and making sure we get more of a variety of fresh veggies in the house.

In the spring I'd like to get us all bikes and make riding a regular part of our routine.

Kairi_7378
01-27-2012, 09:26 PM
Gary, I am sorry to read about your Mom.

As for my "healthy living" goals... I did a CSA last year through work and really enjoyed that. It forced me to do a meal plan each week to use all of the vegetables. Now, I am meal planning, which keeps our family on track nutritionally. (I found that I am less likely to reach for an unhealthy option if I have planned out that I will make X tonight.) I am also making soups in my slow cooker over the weekend, and freezing for quick but healthy weeknight meals.

My husband told me that if I trained, that I could go to WDW for the Marathon weekend! I think that the Food and Wine run looks really fun, though.

TheVBs
01-30-2012, 11:03 AM
I'm hoping I can get some help on a couple of questions I have.

Since I got off track on my food choices over the holidays, I've started tracking my calories and exorcise on My Fitness Pal. It seems to be a good tool to at least get a handle on things.

My first question: I've read that you're supposed to eat back your exorcise calories so that your metabolism doesn't slow down. But, surely you wouldn't do this if you're trying to lose weight, right? I'm trying to kick the few pounds I gained over the holidays and the last 10lbs I need to get to my goal weight.

Second question, I've come to realize that even though I'm making healthy choices, some of them really pack on the calories, especially if you're grazing on them half the day. What healthy, low cal snacks to you guys like? I know I'm not good about eating raw veggies, although I do like salads. So, I'm trying to incorporate more of those into my diet, carrots, peppers, broccoli. I try to eat small meals and have filling, healthy snacks in between.

Just thought of a third question. Sit ups - which are better, the regular ones or the crunch ones? I do about 60 of the crunches every other day, the kind where you raise your legs and lift a ball up to your feet, then back up to take it in your hands again. Can you do those every day, or are they like the weight lifting where you should do them every other day?

Thanks in advance for any advice/help! :mickey:

magicofdisney
01-30-2012, 07:39 PM
I have not heard of the eating back exercise calories. When I'm trying to lose weight, I do NOT do this. Nonetheless, I do feel it gives you some leniency with your calorie count. Another tip (and you may already know this) is to NEVER skip breakfast. That will ultimately sabotage any efforts to establish a healthy metabolism.

Besides fresh fruits and vegetables, you can try low-fat yogurt, low-fat cheese (not processed), and walnuts or almonds. I know many people like to use egg substitutes but I prefer the real thing. Sometimes I'll have a boiled egg as a snack. Processed foods are the worst and I have, by no means, escaped them. However, I try to keep that in mind when snacking. Some days I'm more successful than others. Even lean cuts of meat can be a snack if the portions are right. I think that if you're one of those people that eats several small meals a day, pretty much anything goes if you're in the mood for it (and it's on your approved list of foods).

My grocery store (Publix) has a store brand of light bread that has only 90 calories per 2 slices! I believe it's called natural light grain. We stopped eating white bread a while ago. We're gradually trying to change our habits. We are committed to a lifestyle change and I know if we do too much, too quickly, we'll revert back to our old ways.

I was researching a diet recently called the Zone Diet. I believe it has a logical premise. Despite that, they prefer you use their food. I'm not a fan of that but I think he's on to something with dietary recommendations. Also, I don't think the information is glaringly new, but it's put together in a logical fashion.

As for exercise, I can only talk from experience which isn't that great for me, yet. I think Gary may be the one to guide you there. :)

magicofdisney
01-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Another thing I want to mention is water, water, and more water. It will also help maintain a feeling of fullness. Some people naturally enjoy water. I was not one of them. But again, because I'm committed to this, I've had a gradual change of taste. I still crave a soda and will drink one occasionally, but my water bottle stays with me always. If I leave the house, it goes with me. I've even taken it to the movies with me but they occasionally balk at that. It is one of the healthiest choices we can make for ourselves.

garymacd
01-30-2012, 10:17 PM
I was going to answer some questions, but I am just too tired right now and my post just wasn't making sense to me, and have to go to bed so I can get up and function at work tomorrow. I will try to make cogent arguments tomorrow.

magicofdisney
01-31-2012, 08:25 AM
I got this email yesterday with healthy snack ideas. Hope this helps. :)

• 1 medium apple with 1 tbsp almond butter
• 1/2 cup raw almonds
• 10 rice crackers with 1 tbsp hummus
• 1 sweet potato with ghee (clarified butter)
• 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
• 1/2 cup sliced mango and papaya
• 1 small box raisins
• 10 olives
• 10 frozen organic grapes
• 1 slice brown rice bread with ghee
• 10 grape tomatoes and cucumber slices with olive oil
• 1/4 cup dried cranberries
• One-half fresh pomegranate
• 1/2 cup raw, unsalted pine nuts
• 1 frozen banana

BrerGnat
01-31-2012, 10:00 AM
I'm hoping I can get some help on a couple of questions I have.

Since I got off track on my food choices over the holidays, I've started tracking my calories and exorcise on My Fitness Pal. It seems to be a good tool to at least get a handle on things.

My first question: I've read that you're supposed to eat back your exorcise calories so that your metabolism doesn't slow down. But, surely you wouldn't do this if you're trying to lose weight, right? I'm trying to kick the few pounds I gained over the holidays and the last 10lbs I need to get to my goal weight.

I am using MyFitnessPal too! It is an excellent tracking tool...best I've used. EVERY food imaginable is in there. It's amazing.

Okay, so to answer your question, did MyFitnessPal give you a daily calorie limit? My goal is to lose 15lbs total, and I'm a "lightly active", 140lb, 5'2" female, 33 years old. I wanted to lose 1-2 pounds per week, so my calorie "goal" is 1200.

You will see in the diary that it breaks it down into calories eaten, then calories used in exercise, then your remaining calories until you reach your "goal intake." You want your NET CALORIES each day to equal your goal intake. Like, for me, if I eat 1200 calories, but then exercise and burn 350 more, I need to eat 350 more calories to avoid my metabolism slowing down. At 1200 cal per day, I am at a deficit of 800 calories already, even if I just sit still all day. My basal metabolic rate is 1979 cal/day. So, in order to not mess up my metabolism, I need to NET 1200 cal per day to lose weight. I've been doing this for 4 weeks now, and I've lost 6 pounds already! To be honest, I've gone over my "goal" intake of 1200 cal quite a few times. I think this is actually an important point. Every seven days or so, for one day, eat whatever you want and forget about the calorie goal. This keeps your metabolism churning. I kid you not, I've eaten brownies, ice cream sundaes, pizza, cookies, etc. I don't deprive myself of anything. If I want to splurge, I work out to make up for it. I think this helps me stay on track, because I don't totally binge on anything. I allow myself to eat junk about 5% of the time. The rest of the time, I'm pretty strict about my calories.

To be honest, for WOMEN, especially, if losing weight is the main goal, don't over exercise. Women's bodies respond to exercise by becoming ravenously hungry. The more you exercise, the more you will eat. Exercise (hard aerobic) only about 3 days per week. The best exercise for weight loss is brisk walking. You can do this daily if you want. Once you have lost the weight you want, you can incorporate a more vigorous exercise routine/calorie intake to maintain.

Always take a day off between any type of muscle work, ab work included. Crunches are best, but what's even better is just sitting in the crunch position, with a constant muscle engagement (start by sitting up with your knees bent, put your arms directly in front of you, and then lay back slowly until you are sort of balanced on the very lowest part of your back/butt), and do TINY crunches from there, moving about an inch back and forth. You will feel a burn in your stomach. Do about 10 reps, then sit all the way up to rest. Repeat several times. Another good exercise is the plank. I do these two regularly and they really strengthen your core quickly.

TheVBs
01-31-2012, 01:52 PM
MagicofDisney, thank you for the snack recommendations! It's nice to mix things up a little. I do eat fresh and dried fruit, and I keep raw walnuts and almonds on hand, as well as Greek yogurt. I'm trying to be much better about drinking water. I sometimes just forget! I never forget breakfast though. I'd pass out!

BrerGnat - Oh!! Because it already gives you a calorie deficit for the weight loss, exercising gives you more of a deficit. I get it now, thank you! Right now I'm at 143 and I'm 5'5". I was 140 before the holidays. So I'd like to lose that extra 3lbs and an additional 10lbs. I think the calories MyFitnessPal gives me is something like 1260 and whatever calories I burn exorcising.

As for the exorcising, I do three miles on the treadmill at 4+ mph, 5 or 6 days a week. I had never heard of only doing it a few times a week. And, I DO get ravenously hungry sometimes! Although, I have to admit that I'm reluctant to cut back on the treadmill. How important is that? It also helps my asthma a great deal. I will stick to doing the crunches every other day and I will try the version you mentioned. I am doing a variety of planks on those alternating days as well, and some weights.

Gary, hope you've gotten some rest and are doing better today.

Thanks for the help everyone! :mickey:

BrerGnat
01-31-2012, 03:08 PM
As for the exorcising, I do three miles on the treadmill at 4+ mph, 5 or 6 days a week. I had never heard of only doing it a few times a week. And, I DO get ravenously hungry sometimes! Although, I have to admit that I'm reluctant to cut back on the treadmill. How important is that? It also helps my asthma a great deal. I will stick to doing the crunches every other day and I will try the version you mentioned. I am doing a variety of planks on those alternating days as well, and some weights.

I think you are doing alright, exercise wise. I was talking more about really strenuous workouts, like heavy duty running, biking, etc. These borderline anaerobic type workouts really sap your energy and cause extreme hunger, which is hard when you are trying to lose weight. You are doing more light-moderate exercise, which is exactly what you should be doing to burn fat.

I alternate 3 mile brisk walking workouts (3 per week) with jogging/running 3-4 miles (2 per week). I also ride my bike when the weather permits. I take two days off from aerobic exercise per week, and those are the days I do my strength workouts.

If you really want to see some weight loss results, and get toned up fast, try The Bar Method DVDs. Google it. My sister is a Bar Method instructor and she got me turned onto this. I do the DVDs at home. They work, and they work well! I use "Change Your Body" and "Accelerated Workout." All you need is a chair, and two 3-4 pound hand weights. That's it. I do each of these workouts once per week.

dnickels
01-31-2012, 04:34 PM
Just keep in mind that often we make things more complicated than they need to be. Selling fitness DVDs, exercise routines, diet programs, personal trainers, exercise hard this day but not that day, do this type of exercise but not that one, etc. is a multi-billion dollar industry, but at the end of the day, you simply need to eat fewer calories than you burn to lose weight.

Find what works for you, whether it's running every day of the week or alternating exercises or whatever else it may be. Some people have more time available for exercise so they can focus on that. Others have less time so they should focus on cutting back on the calories they eat.

One thing to maybe/hopefully scare some people straight
-There are no obese elderly people. There are smokers who live to be 100, drinkers who live to be 100, and people who eat bacon and eggs every morning who live to be 100, but none that make it to that age (or even into their 70s for that matter) while being obese. It's a better guarantee of early death than any of those things so for those who want to stick around and see what happens in life (or see grandkids one day) it's good motivation to lose some weight.

And finally, I often hear the excuse that people don't have time to exercise or they don't have time to cook healthy meals so that's why they're overweight. Fair enough, I think most people can find some time by simply turning off the television and / or computer, but I'll grant that some legitimately don't have time for those. Fortunately, I have stumbled upon a long-lost miracle diet plan for people who don't have much time. Eat less of what they're already eating. Make a dinner plate and then set half of it aside for tomorrow night. Ask for the take-home box when the meal arrives and put half of it away for dinner the next evening. Not only does it cut the calories, but it gives them more time as well because a) their next meal is already prepared and b) it takes less time to eat a whole plate of food than it does half a plate! Maybe I'll write a book about it and start selling them. :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
01-31-2012, 05:48 PM
One thing to maybe/hopefully scare some people straight
-There are no obese elderly people. There are smokers who live to be 100, drinkers who live to be 100, and people who eat bacon and eggs every morning who live to be 100, but none that make it to that age (or even into their 70s for that matter) while being obese.

Be careful with the generalizations. This is simply not true. My nanny died at the age of 97 of a stroke. She was obese. She ate a typical Puerto Rican diet (lots of meat, rice/beans made with LARD, root vegetables and fruits, lots of sweets, etc ). She had diabetes for over 40 years. She had a few strokes prior to the last one. She had an amazing life, ate what she wanted, had lots of friends and truly was a happy person. She was blessed with really good genetics, that's all, and an amazing outlook on life. Diabetes is not automatically a death sentence. Neither is obesity.

Also, while I totally agree with your assessment that burning more calories than you are taking in is how one loses weight, the problem comes from NOT KNOWING precisely how many calories one is burning at any given time. Most formulas and calculations are based on statistical averages, and do not take into account body composition or an individual's metabolic rate. No one will ever know their exact metabolic rate. Therefore, it's a guessing game at best, and since there ARE specific ways to boost metabolism, such as increasing muscle mass, this is why there are so many different ideas on how the best way to lose weight is. It's the same as "guessing" how many calories any given activity burns. It's a guess, but it can be off by quite a bit from person to person.

magicofdisney
01-31-2012, 06:40 PM
Be careful with the generalizations. This is simply not true.
I agree. While I don't know the magical number used to define "elderly" I do know people significantly older than me that are obese.

dnickels
01-31-2012, 07:48 PM
Fair enough, virtually no obese elderly people. If someone's plan for life is to be that 1 in 100 or 1 in 1,000 person who manages to live to 90 despite being 100 lbs overweight and living with type II diabetes they're free to shoot for that. The other 99 or 999 are going to lose that bet however.

TheVBs
02-01-2012, 04:37 PM
How do you figure out what your metabolic rate is? Just curious.

I do believe in keeping it as simple as possible. While I've made a lot of healthy changes to our eating habits, I was still completely ignorant of how many calories I was taking in, or even should be taking in. MyFitnessPal has been an excellent tool to keep me aware of that.

BrerGnat, I totally agree on taking a day off from the tracking! I haven't consistently been tracking, more like a few days on, a couple off. I tried the crunches you described and I could feel it right in my lower belly. Does that sound like I was doing it right? That's another stumbling block for me, am I doing the strength/core exercises properly. Anyone know a good one for the back of the upper arms?

So, keeping it simple, definitely yes! But, I want to make sure I'm making educated choices. :thumbsup:

BrerGnat
02-01-2012, 06:07 PM
How do you figure out what your metabolic rate is? Just curious.

I do believe in keeping it as simple as possible. While I've made a lot of healthy changes to our eating habits, I was still completely ignorant of how many calories I was taking in, or even should be taking in. MyFitnessPal has been an excellent tool to keep me aware of that.

BrerGnat, I totally agree on taking a day off from the tracking! I haven't consistently been tracking, more like a few days on, a couple off. I tried the crunches you described and I could feel it right in my lower belly. Does that sound like I was doing it right? That's another stumbling block for me, am I doing the strength/core exercises properly. Anyone know a good one for the back of the upper arms?

So, keeping it simple, definitely yes! But, I want to make sure I'm making educated choices. :thumbsup:

The only way to know your real metabolic rate is to go through some fairly extensive testing in a facility that most people don't have access to. This is why most people can only use the estimates.

For back of arms:

Sit down on the floor, knees bent, feet flat on the floor. Put your hands on the floor next to your hips, fingers facing forward. Lift up your hips, about 3-4 inches off the ground. Tuck your hips upward and shift your body back so your arms are pinned against the back of your ribcage. Bend your elbows so your butt touches the ground and then straighten. These are like "reverse pushups". Do a set of 10, then rest. Repeat 2 times. Afterwards stretch the backs of your arms.

TheVBs
02-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Thank you for that Natalie! I'll be giving that a try tomorrow.

And, ugh. I had one of those days where I sat like a lump and did nothing, except for my workout. And I couldn't stop eating. I probably ate 2 days worth of calories today. I don't know for sure, because I stopped tracking it after the second cupcake. :blush:

magicofdisney
02-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Thank you for that Natalie! I'll be giving that a try tomorrow.

And, ugh. I had one of those days where I sat like a lump and did nothing, except for my workout. And I couldn't stop eating. I probably ate 2 days worth of calories today. I don't know for sure, because I stopped tracking it after the second cupcake. :blush:
That seriously made me lol. :) Today was my son's birthday and I had cake, ice cream, pizza... ;)

garymacd
02-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Gary, hope you've gotten some rest and are doing better today.

Rest?

What's that?

I was supposed to have every weekend off this month. In the space of three days in mid-January I booked teaching gigs for every and all weekends in February, while still working full shifts during the weeks. The last two weekends will be spent teaching at a fire department way up in God's country on the shores of Georgian Bay. I'm actually looking forward to it, but will miss family and homecooked meals for a while.

As for those questions, BrerGnat answered them quite well. Thanks. One thing to remember about calories and metabolism. The more you work out, the more calories you will need, and not just while you are working out. Your body will require extra calories to recover from the exercise. It will repair any damage you cause during exercise while you rest and sleep. It repairs damage by removing damaged tissue and replacing it with more muscle, tendon and ligament. This is normal.

Yes, you will actually burn calories while you sleep. Creating new muscle takes energy. Feeding that new muscle tissue takes energy. Without energy you will crash if you can't feed all that muscle.

Is it possible that some of those last ten pounds you want to lose is muscle? The last thing you want to do is to burn muscle fibre. That is not healthy. Try to find a body fat skin caliper set and find out what your body fat percentage is. I just saw them listed on EBay for less than $20, some as cheap as $5. Follow the directions to see what your body fat percentage is.

Look at this table for fat amounts and fitness levels (it doesn't look very good, but..):

Fitness Level Female Male
Essential 10-12% 2-4%
Athlete 13-20 6-13%
Fitness 21-24% 14-17%
Average 25-31% 18-25%
Obese 32+% 25+%

Men generally carry more muscle and less fat than women, so these numbers are normal.

If a woman's body fat drops below 10%, her body will go through some radical and very unhealthy changes, the least of which is no strength reserves, losing hair and being cold all the time. You will look spectacular, if you like that bald, ripped, skinny, vein-y look with no ... um ... you figure it out, but not really healthy.

TheVBs
02-08-2012, 07:46 AM
That seriously made me lol. :) Today was my son's birthday and I had cake, ice cream, pizza... ;)

I just knew I wouldn't want to see the end results. :blush: When one of the girls has a birthday party, I eat all those things too!

TheVBs
02-08-2012, 07:50 AM
Rest?

What's that?

I was supposed to have every weekend off this month. In the space of three days in mid-January I booked teaching gigs for every and all weekends in February, while still working full shifts during the weeks. The last two weekends will be spent teaching at a fire department way up in God's country on the shores of Georgian Bay. I'm actually looking forward to it, but will miss family and homecooked meals for a while.

As for those questions, BrerGnat answered them quite well. Thanks. One thing to remember about calories and metabolism. The more you work out, the more calories you will need, and not just while you are working out. Your body will require extra calories to recover from the exercise. It will repair any damage you cause during exercise while you rest and sleep. It repairs damage by removing damaged tissue and replacing it with more muscle, tendon and ligament. This is normal.

Yes, you will actually burn calories while you sleep. Creating new muscle takes energy. Feeding that new muscle tissue takes energy. Without energy you will crash if you can't feed all that muscle.

Is it possible that some of those last ten pounds you want to lose is muscle? The last thing you want to do is to burn muscle fibre. That is not healthy. Try to find a body fat skin caliper set and find out what your body fat percentage is. I just saw them listed on EBay for less than $20, some as cheap as $5. Follow the directions to see what your body fat percentage is.

Look at this table for fat amounts and fitness levels (it doesn't look very good, but..):

Fitness Level Female Male
Essential 10-12% 2-4%
Athlete 13-20 6-13%
Fitness 21-24% 14-17%
Average 25-31% 18-25%
Obese 32+% 25+%

Men generally carry more muscle and less fat than women, so these numbers are normal.

If a woman's body fat drops below 10%, her body will go through some radical and very unhealthy changes, the least of which is no strength reserves, losing hair and being cold all the time. You will look spectacular, if you like that bald, ripped, skinny, vein-y look with no ... um ... you figure it out, but not really healthy.

So sorry you weren't able to rest! :( That's quite a schedule. I have no idea how you handle it, even when you're feeling well.

I'm definitely not going for the look you described! I guess it's possible that I'm not being realistic about additional weight loss due to muscle gain. But, I've got a couple of curves where there shouldn't be that are definitely not muscle. So I do feel that I still have fat to loose.

By the way, is it cheating if I brace my feet under something for the tummy crunches?

BrerGnat
02-08-2012, 08:36 AM
By the way, is it cheating if I brace my feet under something for the tummy crunches?

Yes, it is. If it's hard, stick a cushion behind you to support your lower back. That way, you aren't straining so much. You work your abs with your legs a lot of the time.

TheVBs
02-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Yes, it is. If it's hard, stick a cushion behind you to support your lower back. That way, you aren't straining so much. You work your abs with your legs a lot of the time.

Good to know! I will try using a cushion. When I tried them without bracing my feet it was hard to keep my balance, I would tip backwards. Does that sound weird? I wonder if I'm doing them wrong.

BrerGnat
02-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Good to know! I will try using a cushion. When I tried them without bracing my feet it was hard to keep my balance, I would tip backwards. Does that sound weird? I wonder if I'm doing them wrong.

No, you're doing it right, but your abs are just not strong enough yet. Keep doing it. I forgot to mention the cushion. I use one. Don't lean too far back. Put the cushion behind you (touching your body as you are sitting) and only lean back far enough so that your extreme lower back is touching the cushion. From there, either just hold the position while breathing short, quick breaths, for about 10-12 counts, or do the tiny crunches. Take a break after every 10 or so. As you are holding this position, work really hard to flatten your abs, think of pulling your belly button in towards your spine. Don't let your abs bulge out. It's challenging, but it will give you fast results.

garymacd
02-11-2012, 09:47 PM
If regular crunches are tough, try reverse crunches. Start in the up position and lean back until you feel the burn, then come back up. Keep gong until you reach your goal.

This will help you build the muscle tone you are after without the back strain that you feel doing regular crunches.

Do this for a few days and then put in some crunches...without bracing your feet under something. Remember, these are crunches, not situps. Just get your shoulders and back off the ground, not all the way up to your knees.

As for curves, I think most men like curves, not stick insects. A lot of fitness is in how you feel, not how you look.

TheVBs
02-13-2012, 06:47 AM
Thanks guys! I will give these a try as soon as I can. I've been out of commission for the last few days - the girls got hit with stomach flu. :( Aside from having to stay on top of them, I've been achy and low energy. I did manage at least the treadmill yesterday. Man, was it hard to get through.

On the upside I have a new favorite food thing! For salads I've been mixing a small amount of my favorite dressing (whatever sounds good at the moment) with plain Greek yogurt. I still get the flavor, but fewer calories and fat. :)

Bethis26fan
02-15-2012, 11:09 AM
Hi everyone! I joined this post a long while back and did really good with my weight. Well life happend(sad story and all) and I really stoped trying and you know what that means all the weight is back. I know that it's all on me to make the healthy choices and stick with them. We are looking at doing the ICOT 15th in Oct (8 months) and I really want to get back healthy and lose some weight. So I'm putting my goals out here long term & short term and maybe this will help me when i find myself doing the whole emotional eating thing.
1. lose 100lbs (long term)
2. lose 50 lbs by ICOT 15 (mid term)
Reward keys to the kingdom tour
3. Walk 30 mins 4 times a week (weekly goal)
Reward 1 new song off itunes
Is there anything else you can think to help me get on my way. I'm going to go to sparks to figure out my calories and get some food ideas.

garymacd
02-15-2012, 11:53 AM
HI Beth

No other ideas for you. Just keep going. You'll make it.

BrerGnat
02-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Hey Beth, thanks for joining us!

My suggestion to you, to get the "emotional eating" under control is, when you feel the urge to eat, get up and walk around for 15 min instead. You don't even have to go outside. Just walk around your house (or your work).

The act of changing what you are doing makes your brain "reboot" so to speak. I bet you that after 15 min, the urge to eat will be gone.

Try it!

Bethis26fan
02-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Hey Beth, thanks for joining us!

My suggestion to you, to get the "emotional eating" under control is, when you feel the urge to eat, get up and walk around for 15 min instead. You don't even have to go outside. Just walk around your house (or your work).

The act of changing what you are doing makes your brain "reboot" so to speak. I bet you that after 15 min, the urge to eat will be gone.

Try it!

Thanks i will. I'll try & report back in next week and see how it goes. I'm starting today but tomorrow is when I'm going to put as my offical start date so I can have everything wrote down from first thing in the am.

TheVBs
02-17-2012, 02:41 PM
I am very much an emotional eater! Particularly when I'm stressed, I really go for the sweets then. What I did was figure out what I most frequently craved at those times, and it was dark chocolate. If you can figure out what it is that you really want, and make sure you just have a small amount of it, you'll be more likely to be satisfied. Sometimes you eat 10 other things trying to avoid the one thing you want. Like with anything else, it's about portion control. I'll have one or two squares of dark chocolate and call it good. Or, if it's ice cream I really want, just a cup. It sounds hard, but knowing that you can have a small amount of what you feel you really need, can give you a big psychological boost and help you gain more control over your eating. That's what worked for me anyway. Hope this helps!

Bethis26fan
02-20-2012, 02:44 PM
What I'm learing is it's not so much emotional but being board and i'm having to stay away from watching food network. :thedolls:

TheVBs
02-21-2012, 07:59 AM
Yeah, boredom can be a killer too! If you find yourself wandering into the kitchen out of boredom, drink a glass of water. Try to find things to keep yourself busy. Organize photos, catch up on projects, go for a walk, run errands, or even just do some cleaning. It will help you re-wire your brain. Instead of looking for food you'll start looking for something to do.

BrerGnat and Gary, the cushion for the crunches has been working great, thank you!

Two more questions. What are some good exercises to strengthen back muscles? And, why is it, now that I've worked so hard to lose this weight, that people have decided that our house is some kind of dessert dumping ground?! :mad: I got insane amounts of chocolate for Christmas, and at the end of every family gathering they pack up the desserts and send them home with us. What is up with that??

BrerGnat
02-21-2012, 08:25 AM
Two more questions. What are some good exercises to strengthen back muscles?

Push ups.

Also, the "superman". Lay on your stomach, legs straight behind you, feet pointed. Place your hands palm down on the floor extended straight out in front of your head. Simultaneously lift your arms and legs about 6 inches off the ground, arching your back slightly. Keep your head and neck in line with your upper arms, eyes looking down at the floor. Hold for 5-10 seconds and repeat a few times. This will strengthen the muscles running down the sides of your spine. For a little challenge, "swim": move your arms up and down in synch with your legs. Lift the right arm/left leg, then switch. It should look like you're swimming. Do this until you can't anymore, rest, then repeat.

And, why is it, now that I've worked so hard to lose this weight, that people have decided that our house is some kind of dessert dumping ground?! :mad: I got insane amounts of chocolate for Christmas, and at the end of every family gathering they pack up the desserts and send them home with us. What is up with that??

That's just the way of the universe. I just discovered Williams Sonoma ice cream starter. I broke out my ice cream machine and it's been nonstop since. It's for the kids...I swear. ;)

dnickels
02-21-2012, 10:23 AM
And, why is it, now that I've worked so hard to lose this weight, that people have decided that our house is some kind of dessert dumping ground?! :mad: I got insane amounts of chocolate for Christmas, and at the end of every family gathering they pack up the desserts and send them home with us. What is up with that??

I think the only solution to this is to tell them that it will "...just go to waste..." if they give it to you. If they don't even get that hint you just need to toss it when they walk out the door. I know we're conditioned not to waste food, but in the long run, your physical health is far more important than making someone happy that you ate their leftover cake or cookies or whatever it may be.

garymacd
02-21-2012, 12:36 PM
What are some good exercises to strengthen back muscles?

Along with doing the superman move, try side tri rises. Lay on your left side with your legs straight. Place your left arm on the ground beside your torso. Put your right hand behind your head. Then lift your legs and shoulders off the ground and try to touch your right elbow to your right knee. Do it for about a minute and switch sides.

This next one requires a caution. Do not do this with and arched or bent back. Your back must be straight. You might think this is an arm exercise, but done right, it will strengthen the upper and mid back.

You will need some weights or resistance bands for this. Stand with your feet together. Bend you knees and hips so you are looking at the floor in front of you, kind of like sitting on a high stool. Keep your head in alignment with your spine.

Bend down to pick up your weights and get into a comfortable position, then pull the weights up to your body, like pulling on pants. Your elbows go back, not out. Your hands will hang straight to the floor. Hold for a second and straighten your arms. Repeat 8 - 15 times, rest and do it again.

You can do the same thing with one arm in a lunge. Rest your left arm on your left knee. Grab the weight and pull towards your shoulder, again keeping the elbow close to the body. Repeat 8 - 15 times, rest and repeat on the other side.

TheVBs
02-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Ugh! I knew someone would say push-ups. Natalie, Gary, thank you for describing those exercises! I will give them a try, and if all else fails I will try the push ups.

Dnickels, thanks for that reinforcement! I will try saying that next time. You're right, I feel like a bad person throwing things out, but I think if it comes here that's what I'll have to do. I threw out two whole pies after Christmas! I just thought, no way am I going to have those tempting me every day.

garymacd
02-23-2012, 01:56 PM
You could have sent me the pies!

By the way, have you tried Yoga? Great overall body toning and muscle conditioning, especially the back. It helps with flexibility and strength. A weird combination but it works. If only I didn't hate it so much.

TheVBs
02-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Next time I will send you the pie! Would you like some baklava? My mother in law sent us home with a whole tray of it. I've eaten too much of it and I'm thinking of trashing the rest. Not to mention, a friend of the family came over yesterday and brought donuts and cheesecake. Why?! I did have one donut this morning, but thankfully everyone else polished off the rest of them and the cheesecake.

Funny you should mention yoga, I've been doing it for years! I haven't done a class in years, but I do make it a part of my daily routine. I do the sun salute series of stretches and a few others. Part of the sun salute is a partial back bend and I think that helps me a lot.

garymacd
02-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Next time I will send you the pie! Would you like some baklava?

Funny you should mention baklava.

I just returned from a teaching gig up near Tobermory, Ontario. A great place to visit, and I highly recommend it, if you like cold-water SCUBA shipwreck diving, eco-tourism or just a great weekend away with dark skies, lots of stars and great trails for walking or riding on the 45th parallel.

While there, I ate at a small pub called the Lion's Head Inn. Dessert offered this past weekend was butter tart baklava! OMG! The rest of my meals there were great; but Butter Tart Baklava? It should be a sin!

If you find yourself in Lion's Head, be sure to stop in and say hi to Chef Terry and the crew who looked after me over the past two weekends.

Now back to reality and trying to eat right and get some exercise.

Bethis26fan
02-28-2012, 12:27 PM
Well my report back was the 1st week I did good. 2nd week not so good b-day party and girl scout cookies and i went nuts. So week 3 is a new week what's done is done and now it's time to move foward.

bleukarma
02-29-2012, 08:31 PM
I've been back into training for a half marathon again. I posted my story in the encouragement thread for White Rose but I figure I will post it here so you guys have some background.

Last summer I signed up for The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Team in Training program to run the half marathon at Disney this past January. It is an excellent program that teaches you how to run (which I had no clue how to run properly before I signed up) while you raise funds for Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I had a training program that I stuck to and had a GREAT coach (who was even on the cover of Runners World magazine!). Unfortunately I just couldn’t raise the amount of money needed for them to send me to the half marathon. But that didn’t stop me, I was determined to do it on my own. I raised a significant amount for charity, which I was proud of, it just wasn’t enough and I didn’t have the finances to pay the rest on my own.

Once November hit things went downhill. I got a sinus infection, then a respiratory infection, and then the flu back-to-back-to-back. I was sick for about 6 weeks straight and fell off the training. I’m just now getting back into running again and I feel like I’m starting my training over from the beginning. However I have my sights set on the Wine and Dine Half in October.

After reading through this thread I signed up for MyFitnessPal and I love it! It really does help control what you eat when you see it on the screen.

TheVBs
03-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Gary, that baklava sounds amazing! I have to confess that I did not throw that out. :blush: But I did stick it in the freezer. Every once in awhile I take a couple pieces out to defrost.

Bethis, great attitude! Put it behind you and start fresh. We all have moments when we overdo it.

Bleukarma, sorry you were sick for so long! I can imagine how that would feel like starting over. Glad you have a new goal. How long is a half marathon? I'm totally clueless about marathons.

Last weekend, for the very first time in my whole life I tried ice skating. DH was taking the girls and they were giving me what we call "Disney eyes" (or puppy eyes) because they wanted me to go. I was so sure I was going to come home bruised and miserable - but I actually skated!! This is not something I would have tried before I lost the weight. I'm looking forward to making this a regular family activity for us. We have an indoor rink just down the street. Even better, DH says if we do it regularly it will inspire him to look into joining one of the adult hockey leagues. :)

bleukarma
03-02-2012, 09:45 PM
TheVBs- a half marathon is 13.1 miles. I have no clue why I decided I wanted to do one. Before about 5 years ago I wouldnt run unless I was being chased...and then I would think about it. Today I still wouldnt call myself a "runner." But for some reason a half marathon is on my bucket list.

Congrats on ice skating! That is something that I def wouldnt do!!! When I was 9 I broke my wrist on roller skates, I fear what would happen if I get on ice skates lol!!

TheVBs
03-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Wow! I had no idea it was that long! I only do 3 - 3.5 miles on the treadmill and that's just at a really fast walk (4mph).

And, ouch! That's exactly the kind of thing I imagined might happen, breaking something. If I hadn't had the edge to hold on to and practice for so long, I'm sure I would have gone down several times. I've also tried DD7's karate class and DD11's horseback riding (English), two more things I would never have done before I lost the weight. I'm thinking about signing up for the adult karate class, and will definitely try the riding again when she offers another "mom's lesson" . Although, I have to admit, I kind of stunk at that! Fell off the horse my second lesson.

One thing I've noticed about MyFitnessPal, while it's a great tool, I do like to take a few days off from tracking. It gets to me after awhile, and I've used it long enough now that I've gotten a pretty good idea of whether I'm making good choices or eating too much.

BrerGnat
03-03-2012, 07:17 PM
One thing I've noticed about MyFitnessPal, while it's a great tool, I do like to take a few days off from tracking. It gets to me after awhile, and I've used it long enough now that I've gotten a pretty good idea of whether I'm making good choices or eating too much.

I've noticed that too. It's tedious. I've taken quite a few days off from tracking lately. I feel like I can do the math in my head at this point, most days.

brownie
03-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Had to hop on here to report this. I decided in November that I was going to lose my Dunlop before ICOT15. It was my eating that was doing me in. I work out 3 days a week doing push ups, body weight squats, and pull ups. I run 6 days a week and mix cycling in in the warm months. I started using a web and Android app to track my daily calorie budget.

I had to replace my belt last month. In the last week, I finally accomplished my goal of doing 100 push ups in a row and reached my 2nd weight loss goal. I have now lost a total of 25 pounds!

I'm not going to intentionally lose any more pounds, but I'm going to keep working on losing more of the belly fat that's left. It's sort of scary; I'm under 183 lbs. and haven't been at this weight since my freshmen year of college.

BrerGnat
03-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Way to go Steve! That's awesome!

garymacd
03-13-2012, 09:21 PM
Impressive results,Steve! I'm impressed. Keep going!

brownie
03-14-2012, 09:42 AM
Way to go Steve! That's awesome!

Impressive results,Steve! I'm impressed. Keep going!

Thanks! I just needed the discipline of tracking what I was taking in and what I was burning. I'll even pull out my phone before ordering when we eat out. The calories remaining in my budget for the day have impacted my choices on more than one occasion (Alice Springs Chicken I miss you, but you were just too much for me!)

bleukarma
03-14-2012, 08:38 PM
That's really awesome Steve!!!! Congrats!!!

I went running yesterday and today, although it wasn't as long and fast as I would like or nowhere near what I was doing in the fall. Yesterday was a mile and a half and today was 2 miles. I still have a long way to go till I get back up to where I was or close to those 13 half marathon miles. But one mile at a time! I will get there! :mickey:

TheVBs
03-15-2012, 08:09 AM
Go Steve & Amber!

I've had an awful cold that I'm just now getting over and I've been out of commission for a few days in terms of working out. I hate that. I always feel like I loose so much ground in just a few days.

brownie
03-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Go Steve & Amber!

I've had an awful cold that I'm just now getting over and I've been out of commission for a few days in terms of working out. I hate that. I always feel like I loose so much ground in just a few days.

I spent the first couple weeks of the year fighting a cold/flu. It really does set you back and you can't do a lot about it at the time.

bleukarma
03-19-2012, 08:49 PM
Yesterday morning I woke up motivated and went off and ran two miles. Then I came home and started feeling sick. When I woke up this morning my throat felt like it was swollen to the size of my head! I took a half day at work and went to the walk in clinic and they said it's most likely bad sinus attack. Our pollen count has been crazy down here this year. I've never had sinus issues before but she said it's so bad that even people that never had trouble are now having issues. She gave me an antibiotic in case it turns out to be strep, even though the test came back negative. I have to get better, I have a business trip that I fly out on Sunday for!

So...apparently running is making me sick. Every time I pump up my running I get sick.
Not good.

Bethis26fan
03-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Yesterday morning I woke up motivated and went off and ran two miles. Then I came home and started feeling sick. When I woke up this morning my throat felt like it was swollen to the size of my head! I took a half day at work and went to the walk in clinic and they said it's most likely bad sinus attack. Our pollen count has been crazy down here this year. I've never had sinus issues before but she said it's so bad that even people that never had trouble are now having issues. She gave me an antibiotic in case it turns out to be strep, even though the test came back negative. I have to get better, I have a business trip that I fly out on Sunday for!

So...apparently running is making me sick. Every time I pump up my running I get sick.
Not good.

I have really bad allergies and my doctor told me to get zyrtec she even told me just to get the walmart brand. It's less than $5.00 for 14 days they can make you sleepy so I just take mine before bed and so far they have really been working great. Our pollen is crazy high here as well. It may help you.

TheVBs
03-25-2012, 09:57 AM
Bleukarma, that's got to be so frustrating! I hope you're able to find a way to work around it.

garymacd
03-27-2012, 03:31 PM
I hope you feel better soon. I was going to say how much I hate allergies and colds, but it sounded too negative.

I just crushed 50 minutes of shoulders and arms work and followed it up with 15 minutes of abs. That makes 5 days in a row without missing a scheduled workout. I'm on a roll!

Now it's into the shower for me and get ready to go back to work.

Everyone have a safe day out there.

TheVBs
03-28-2012, 06:54 AM
Congratulations Gary! :D I'm at 2 days in a row so far this week and hoping to get back up to my usual 5/6 days a week. After the last rounds of germs running through the family, I've been lucky to get in 3 at the most lately. That's not good when you've been treating yourself to birthday cake the last few days. :party:

garymacd
03-28-2012, 12:40 PM
Been there with both the germs and the birthday cake.

I keep looking around for just one more piece of cake.

There's gotta be one around here, someplace!

Yoga day today. Wish me luck.

TheVBs
03-30-2012, 01:19 PM
Hope the yoga went well! Didn't you say you hated yoga?

garymacd
03-31-2012, 08:04 PM
It didn't. And, yes, I hate it!

You'd think after two to three years it would be easier.

nope

TheVBs
04-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Sorry to hear that. Why keep trying it then? It sounds like you do a lot of other things to stay fit that you enjoy more.

garymacd
04-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Sorry to hear that. Why keep trying it then? It sounds like you do a lot of other things to stay fit that you enjoy more.

I'm a sucker for punishment, and never give up, never surrender!

I know it's good for me, as just about any exercise is, but I just wish it would get a little easier as time goes by. I am more flexible than I was three years ago. That's good news.

P90X Yoga, at 93+ minutes is probably one of the toughest and longest workouts available. And I can't show weakness in front of the womenfolk! :rotfl:

Actually, I just did Yoga again today. I only did the movement segment since I didn't have time for the whole workout, but 50 minutes of upward and downward dog is plenty and just about all my wrist could handle.

TheVBs
04-11-2012, 11:23 AM
LOL! Good for you! That's a lot more yoga than I do these days. I'll do the sun salute and a few stretches and poses, mostly to warm up before getting on the treadmill.

garymacd
04-11-2012, 11:57 AM
LOL! Good for you! That's a lot more yoga than I do these days. I'll do the sun salute and a few stretches and poses, mostly to warm up before getting on the treadmill.

Well, guess what today is?

Yup! Yoga day!

Just going to drop my wife off at the hair dressers and then start crying and sweating.

Then, it's back to work.

magicofdisney
04-12-2012, 09:28 AM
I've found the best way to enjoy yoga...is from afar.

I could only handle so much. I need things that keep me interested and encouraged. Yoga was doing neither for me so I've stopped doing it. Good for you, Gary, for keeping up with it. :)

PirateLover
04-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Hello everyone. Well I finally got fed up with my weight. After about 2 years of yo-yo exercise/dieting I decided to get serious. I have joined Weight Watchers and I'm hoping to lose 20-25lbs and keep it off. Being a teacher who is also in graduate school, exercise has been the toughest thing to fit in, but I'm trying to walk for 30 mins each day and stretch each day as well. I'm waaaaay too stiff for a 26 year old! In two months, I'll be able to really kick up the notch on the exercise as I'm not teaching summer school this year. I have p90x, I did a month of it about 2 years ago but I got sick and fell off the wagon, and never started again.:( But I'm definitely going to get back to it.:thumbsup:

TheVBs
04-14-2012, 03:28 PM
Great news PirateLover! It's so easy to fall off the wagon. Don't let it discourage you. Just keep trying to tackle it and look for food/exercise changes you can make permanently.

bleukarma
04-21-2012, 02:06 PM
Congrats on the changes Piratelover!

I have been going to the gym instead of running outside. I hate the treadmill, it tends to hurt my foot when I run on it. So I am (slowly) trying to get used to the elliptical. I hate the elliptical, but it will help strengthen my legs for when I get back outside running. I also got on the bike and I find it easy. I did 11 miles on level 6 and barely broke a sweat. So either I'm doing it wrong or I'm just good! :mickey:

I miss running outside but continually getting sick afterwards was getting old. I take a friend with me to the gym and we motivate each other.

One thing I need to work on is my diet. I think I'm "there" with the workout mentality but my diet is basically the same. This can be harmful with my birthday less then a month away. One of my favorite things to eat is happy birthday cake.

I can't afford something like Nutrisystem but I was thinking of buying Lean Cuisine's for my lunch's. I'm wondering if Lean Cuisine is about the same as the food that comes in Nutrisystem? But a Lean Cuisine is better then eating a hot dog or pasta for lunch, I'm sure.

PirateLover
04-22-2012, 07:22 PM
I don't know how Lean Cuisines compare with Nutrisystem, but they are pretty tasty! Of all the frozen "healthy" options I think they taste the best. Healthy Choice is the most filling, and I rarely even eat their desserts that come with it. I also eat Smart Ones. I usually only eat them at lunch. I either have a frozen meal or a salad with little on it, and a bigger homecooked meal for dinner.

The life saver for me feeling hungry has been fruit. On Weight Watchers, fruit is 0 points! I am down about 5 1/2 lbs over the first two weeks. I find I'm getting by without having to use any of the extra points they allow throughout the week, and I'm not really exercising much other than the walking. I have tried to do some floor exercises but it's hard when my DH isn't around to distract our dog. The floor is his territory, so every time someone sits on the floor he thinks it's play time!

TheVBs
05-04-2012, 08:07 AM
ARGH! I've been so busy and have had so many stressful things going on that I've been having a hard time getting in regular workouts. Stress also makes me eat bad things. :( I've put on a few pounds recently (probably partially due to a NM trip too, but still...). I feel like I'm in a vicious circle here.

garymacd
05-04-2012, 09:07 PM
ARGH! I've been so busy and have had so many stressful things going on that I've been having a hard time getting in regular workouts. Stress also makes me eat bad things. :( I've put on a few pounds recently (probably partially due to a NM trip too, but still...). I feel like I'm in a vicious circle here.

I'm with you on most of this. I have been incredibly busy recently. We are changing our emergency medicine delivery system at work. We are moving away from a generic emergency care program to the Canadian Red Cross Emergency Medical Responder program, and since I am the only Supervisory Instructor Trainer on the department, a lot of the responsibilities fall to me to get our instructors up to speed before they can start teaching on their own. I have now been approached by two or three other departments to oversee their instructors. Less time for my beloved. More money for the Disney fund - or for our daughter's wedding fund.

Couple that with my regular shifts, my own small business and family responsibilities, I have had about two or three days off since the beginning of March. May and June aren't looking too good for respite, either.

I am still getting in about four workouts a week. Some of them at 9 pm, but I'm still doing it. I sleep like a baby when I do get into bed, though.

Since I don't get on the scales all that often, I usually rely on how my pants fit. Surprisingly, not that bad! Good thing I wear a belt.

My bike is crying in the shed. It's feeling really neglected. Soon, Darling. Soon.

magicofdisney
05-05-2012, 11:50 AM

I'm with you on most of this. I have been incredibly busy recently. We are changing our emergency medicine delivery system at work. We are moving away from a generic emergency care program to the Canadian Red Cross Emergency Medical Responder program, and since I am the only Supervisory Instructor Trainer on the department, a lot of the responsibilities fall to me to get our instructors up to speed before they can start teaching on their own. I have now been approached by two or three other departments to oversee their instructors. Less time for my beloved. More money for the Disney fund - or for our daughter's wedding fund.

Couple that with my regular shifts, my own small business and family responsibilities, I have had about two or three days off since the beginning of March. May and June aren't looking too good for respite, either.

I am still getting in about four workouts a week. Some of them at 9 pm, but I'm still doing it. I sleep like a baby when I do get into bed, though.

Since I don't get on the scales all that often, I usually rely on how my pants fit. Surprisingly, not that bad! Good thing I wear a belt.

My bike is crying in the shed. It's feeling really neglected. Soon, Darling. Soon.
Seriously, these two post have been just what I needed to read. Sometimes I let myself believe I'm the only one struggling. However, I'm determined not to give up on this effort.

TheVBs
05-05-2012, 12:33 PM
Sorry to hear you guys are struggling too. Why is it so hard lately? :confused: Not just time/stress-wise. I mean lately when I'm able to work out I have no enthusiasm, no energy, my body hurts and it's actually a struggle to get through it. I used to feel really good about my routine and sometimes even enjoyed it! I only managed 1 mile on the treadmill today. :(

stephicakes
05-05-2012, 04:56 PM
Great read so far! It is so great that everyone is striving for a healthier lifestyle! There is no “one size fits all” diet out there. Everyone can respond to the same diet differently based on genetics, metabolism, etc. I am by no means a professional athlete but I do work out hard 5 days a week. I am almost 36 years old, 5’4” at 115lbs. I run, strength train, spin, P90X, yoga, etc. During some bike sessions I can burn over 1200 calories. On those days I can eat more than my DH! LOL! One of the best choices I have made health-wise is to become a vegetarian (working towards vegan). Having this type of diet is a personal choice for ME (animal-based and processed food has been linked to MANY health issues) and is not right for everyone. Less than ten years ago I smoked a pack of cigarettes a day and didn’t even know what running sneakers looked like! I found myself depressed, low on energy (single mom working & going to college, my mom battling cancer), and unhealthy. Enough was enough! I had to make a change so I quit smoking and changed unhealthy habits for healthy ones (I have heard that you never get rid of habits, just exchange them for another). I know I am echoing some other posts so far but here are some things that have worked for me!:

•Drink water often throughout the day. This will eventually become a habit. Get headaches in the afternoon? You may not be tired… just dehydrated. Drink water while you exercise – it helps burn fat.
•Any exercise is better than none (energy creates energy!).
•Listen to your body. Allow yourself rest days and pat yourself on the back now and then. You’re doing great! Don’t overdo – injuries can set you back weeks and lend to frustration.
•Don’t deprive yourself completely of treats - have a couple bites but not too much. I tell myself the second cookie will taste the same as the first so there really is no need to eat it! LOL
•I can’t control everyone’s eating habits in my house – I can only control mine. Encourage, don’t nag.
•Stock the fridge full of fresh fruits & veggies. Dinner tastes better when lots of color is involved!
•Try new foods. I LOVE rice noodles… who knew?!
•Try new activities/exercises. Fight boredom and muscle memory by mixing things up!
•I don’t snack much throughout the day as I have a hard time knowing when I am actually hungry versus “tasty”. Fiber and plant protein will help keep me full.
•Portion control is key. Just because a plate is put in front of me with all that food does not mean I need to eat it all! And skip the “doggy bag” from restaurants.
•Don’t be married to the scale. Give yourself the “eyeball test” – look in the mirror and if you look overweight you probably are. Have a goal in mind but don’t think you failed if your weight fluctuates. Muscle weighs more than fat! Diet/food habits are a lifestyle – not a quick fix. It may take quite some time to reach your goal weight. Don’t give up even after a couple bad days!! Remember – there is no “perfect”.
•Make yourself a priority! No matter what is going on in my life, I always try to make “me time” (exercise time). If I don’t take care of ME then I will not be the best mom, wife, sister, daughter, or friend. Exercise is the best cure for stress!!

Anyway, hope some of this is useful?! Again, everyone is different! I don't track my calories or use any program. These have just helped me stay active & healthy.
Best wishes to all and I am proud of EVERYONE!!!
:grouphug:

steph

TheVBs
05-12-2012, 07:52 PM
Stephicakes, great post! :thumbsup:

And, I figured out what my problem is, I think. I'm sick! :( I've got a yucky virus and I think that's where the fatigue and soreness were coming from, then I finally ended up with a sore throat and cough. I'm sure stress contributed too. But hopefully this will pass soon and I'll be back on track.

stephicakes
05-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Stephicakes, great post! :thumbsup:

And, I figured out what my problem is, I think. I'm sick! :( I've got a yucky virus and I think that's where the fatigue and soreness were coming from, then I finally ended up with a sore throat and cough. I'm sure stress contributed too. But hopefully this will pass soon and I'll be back on track.

Ugh - that stinks! :( REST up and I hope you feel better soon! You will soon be back up and running to where you were before. I can't wait to hear about everyone's progress in the weeks to come! After fighting painful bursitis in my hip for years (inflammation in joint) I am slowly working my way up to longer runs again. I am at about 5 miles before my hip tells me "enough"! So I will keep everyone updated on my progress too. We can do this together! I am here to offer everyone any encouragement and support that you need :thumbsup:

garymacd
05-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Great posts, everyone! Glad to hear everyone is trying. Sorry to hear you're not well, VB.

I just got home this morning for the first time in what seems like over a week. This past weekend, I did a marathon work and teach: Taught most of last week, went to work Friday night after teaching most of the day, back to work Saturday night, taught all day Sunday, worked all night, taught all day Monday and worked that night, too!

When I got home this morning, I considered going for a bike ride but opted for a little sleep instead. Good choice on my part, I think.

Tomorrow, I am off to Toronto to assist with the Red Cross in finalising our new Emergency Care teaching methods and tools. Really looking forward to it, although it means another day without time to exercise.

I'll make it up to myself later. I plan to try and start riding to work next week.

It's really too bad I'm not a Type A personality, or I would really be enjoying all this.

bleukarma
05-16-2012, 08:16 PM
I can't post a progress report, I can only post a "fell off the wagon" report. I too have been sick. Two weeks ago I had to take my great aunt to the ER and hospitals always make me sick. I've been out of commission since. My diet consist of anything not good for me since I havent felt like cooking. I have been itching to go back to the gym but I'm afraid it will start up my cold/coughing/fever again. Since it seems like it's going away I dont want to jeopardize that. I can actually feel myself gaining weight and it's frustrating. Tomorrow is my birthday and I love birthday cake but....I love birthday cake and it has so many calories in it. But, I think I just need to get through the next week and hopefully I will be back on the wagon again. Something has to change!

TheVBs
05-17-2012, 08:20 AM
Thanks guys! I've been trying to take it easy and not give in to wanting to try to work out. I've tried to stay active around the house and yard when I feel up to it. It's just a nasty, nasty cold. I think (I hope!) it's on it's way out.

Bluekarma, don't be discouraged! I know exactly how you feel. You're sick, your body needs rest, and when you're better you'll get back on track! :thumbsup: Two weeks is not unreasonable for being out of commission with an illness. I think we tend to be hard on ourselves because we're so afraid of gaining the weight back. I know I am. But I also know that I will never go back to having 40 extra pounds on me. The few extra pounds I know I can get rid of, and you will too.

dnickels
06-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Hope everyone that has kind of gotten off track are feeling well again and back where you want to be in your progress! :thumbsup: Just keep in mind that you don't have to go back full-bore into exercising. Even a 30 minute walk helps and shouldn't put too much stress on your lungs or body if you're suffering from a cold. As a weight-management tip just remember that if you're unable to exercise for a period of time or if you're not up to making healthier foods and therefore have to rely on some of the 'junk,' you can always eat less of the junk. Half of the box, half of the take-out meal, whatever it may be. Believe me, I ended up with two paralyzed legs ten years ago and when you suddenly can't run you just can't burn the same number of calories. If I kept eating the same amount I'd gain weight so I had to cut down on the amounts plain and simple.

As for my current goals, just maintaining a base of training for the Disney half and full marathons in January. I do about 70 miles a week on my racing wheelchair and will bump that up in September or October. Some rainy weather kind of messing with the normal schedule so I have to do some days of 15 or 20 miles rather than a steady 10 per day. Again, good luck and hope everyone is feeling better!

lettripp
06-07-2012, 02:48 PM
So, even though this didn't start at the beginning of the year, I wanted to share with my husband (Plex) and I have been doing. We are "going primal," as they say and have stopped eating processed foods (sugar, processed carbohydrates etc) all together. It feels GREAT and we've both lost a ton of weight already. I know all the skepticism about low carb diets but for the first time in a while, I sleep well through the night, have a ton of energy and have been losing weight. It feels amazing!!! I'll start updating progress as we make more of it...

magicofdisney
06-07-2012, 08:15 PM
So, even though this didn't start at the beginning of the year, I wanted to share with my husband (Plex) and I have been doing. We are "going primal," as they say and have stopped eating processed foods (sugar, processed carbohydrates etc) all together. It feels GREAT and we've both lost a ton of weight already. I know all the skepticism about low carb diets but for the first time in a while, I sleep well through the night, have a ton of energy and have been losing weight. It feels amazing!!! I'll start updating progress as we make more of it...

I have no doubts we'd all feel better coming off processed food. I cut back here and there but have not completely eliminated everything. I also feel and sleep better during those times. Why oh why do I even consider going backwards except I'm addicted and it taste sooooo good. :( Honestly, I'm not sure I'll ever give up everything entirely, but I do try and limit portions and consider my health when making food choices.

I'm doing weight watchers right now. I began last week after having spent several days out of town. I knew my weight was artificially inflated because of how easily and quickly the weight fell off the first week. I still have a few pounds to go, but I'm more interested in the maintenance program. That's where I struggle the most. They also have etools, online resources, that I LOVE using. I keep track of everything with my phone or an online app. I also love that I can eat anything I want as long as my portions are reasonable. I'm also jumping back into my P90X videos. I'm not doing the series like previously, but picking and choosing my favorite videos here and there. My absolute favorite cardio workout is the elliptical. With the videos I can mix-up the routine.

stephicakes
06-08-2012, 07:13 AM
Hope everyone that has kind of gotten off track are feeling well again and back where you want to be in your progress! :thumbsup: Just keep in mind that you don't have to go back full-bore into exercising. Even a 30 minute walk helps and shouldn't put too much stress on your lungs or body if you're suffering from a cold. As a weight-management tip just remember that if you're unable to exercise for a period of time or if you're not up to making healthier foods and therefore have to rely on some of the 'junk,' you can always eat less of the junk. Half of the box, half of the take-out meal, whatever it may be. Believe me, I ended up with two paralyzed legs ten years ago and when you suddenly can't run you just can't burn the same number of calories. If I kept eating the same amount I'd gain weight so I had to cut down on the amounts plain and simple.

As for my current goals, just maintaining a base of training for the Disney half and full marathons in January. I do about 70 miles a week on my racing wheelchair and will bump that up in September or October. Some rainy weather kind of messing with the normal schedule so I have to do some days of 15 or 20 miles rather than a steady 10 per day. Again, good luck and hope everyone is feeling better!

Wow dnickels - you are an inspiration to us all!! You go!! Your internal drive & determination is awesome! And what a better place for marathons than Disney??! That's a great goal :thumbsup:

(oh... and my dinky biceps are very jealous right now of your most likely very tone arms!) :D

TheVBs
06-09-2012, 07:47 AM
Between illnesses running through the family and nutty schedules, my work outs have been spotty. It bothers me but I'm trying not to get stressed about it. I'm just hoping I can fully get back on track soon.

Dnickles, thanks for the inspiring words! I have had to ease back into things, and I've tried to adjust my calorie intake in the meantime.

Lettripp, I would love to hear more about the food changes you guys have made! Can you give some examples of what you typically eat now?

garymacd
06-10-2012, 03:49 PM
So much for easing back in to work outs. I am now riding back and forth to work at least half-time. Soon, just about every day will be a riding day. It's a 40 km round trip, sot that's a 1200 - 1400 calorie burn for my four-day work week, plus any rides or workouts on my days off.

Hope that means I can eat like Michael Phelps!

garymacd
06-18-2012, 11:58 AM
On a day off last week I decided to go for a training ride. Nothing too stressful, just an easy 22 km which I did in about 45 minutes. During the ride, I felt like I was dragging a bit, so when I got home I decided to clean and oil my chain.

And what to my horror-filled eyes did I see but that my back wheel was slightly warped. So out came the tools and I started to true the wheel. Then I saw the reason for the warp. The rim was cracked around one of the spoke connections. No wonder I was dragging, it was touching the brake pad on every revolution. It's a wonder it didn't snap off completely and ruin my day. I hate falling off my bike. It's embarrassing!

My beloved wife was sitting outside with me while I was doing this, so I told her I needed a new rim. She created a monster when she then said, "That bike has to be about ten years old. It survived the accident and you've ridden it so hard over the years, why don't you just buy a new one?"

Well I hate spending money frivolously, but when I considered that I spend a lot of time on my bike, and use it to get back and forth to work, and I wouldn't hesitate to spend money on a new car if I needed it, I decided to treat myself to a new bike. My mother's estate had just been finalised and some of the money had come in from the lawyer, so I spent the better part of an evening doing research on the internet on which new bicycle I should buy.

I ended up purchasing a brand new 2012 Giant TCR II. Shimano 105 deraileurs, 20 speeds, composite carbon fibre frame, saddle like a piece of wood! It weighs less than half what my old bike weighed. I love everything about it, except that saddle! So obviously I have to ride more to toughen up my - you know.

stephicakes
06-19-2012, 08:22 AM
That's awesome!! Enjoy your new bike! I am a firm believer that if you feel the part - you will perform better. Isn't it funny that when you buy new sneakers you suddenly feel lighter than air?? I don't think it's any coincidence that when I buy a new running or aerobics outfit that I suddenly have more energy :D Hey, you're doing a great job - reward yourself!

I have been kicking things into high gear here too. The nicer weather helps! I have a small home gym which has helped me decrease my body fat percentage from 21.5% to 11% over the past 2 years. The only thing is, it is easy to get bored and do the same things over and over again. (definition of insanity comes to mind!) I really wanted to kick things up a notch so I joined an awesome local aerobics place that offers many different classes throughout the week. Super affordable too! I can certainly justify $6-$8 per class! I needed to be challenged. So now I am doing a strength training class there 3 times a week as well as a “boot camp” once a week (interval training). I am still keeping my schedule at home as well so last week I did a total of 8 workout sessions in 6 days. To beginners that might sound extreme, but I was already working out 5 days a week so it really is only adding a few more rotations into my routine. This should help kick my metabolism up a notch too. I am not currently training for anything although last year I enjoyed being on a beginners crew team and I run some local 5Ks now and then. I just really enjoy working out and being in good shape and it wasn’t until my 30s that I discovered this part of me (or had time to!) so it has been really fun. I can honestly say that I am in better shape now then when I was in high school. Plus it sets an example for my teenage daughter that no matter what age you are, it’s never too late to try something new and to take care of yourself!

We go to Disney in September and I want to really look great in the pictures this year. That’s my goal for now – to feel great and look good in the Happiest Place on Earth :mickey:

So… that’s the latest on me for now. Keep up the great work all & keep us posted! We can do this! :thumbsup:
steph

garymacd
06-21-2012, 09:53 PM
Steph you have really gone all out and certainly turned yourself around with your fitness and goals. I applaud you trying to be a great role model for your daughter.

I don't want this to be taken the wrong way or sound preachy on the topic of weight loss (and remember, I am not a doctor, nutritionist or personal trainer), but I do want you to be cautious about losing more weight and body fat. You are now at the point where you have less body fat than an elite athlete. Way to go! Just remember that men need an essential body fat level of 3 - 5% and women, 10 - 13%. Anything less and you may end up having some medical problems.

Usually the problems resolve themselves once the person gains weight back; however I do have a friend/co-worker who spent years as an amateur body builder (properly coached, monitored and CLEAN). She is now having health problems that will last the rest of her life. Is this the result of her personal hormonal makeup, years of strenuous exercise, a low fat, low carb, high protein diet and years of keeping her body fat levels at or below the essential fat level? I don't know. It could be a combination of factors.

Check with your doctor to ensure your health is not suffering. I am certain your Disney photo's will look great. Mine always make me look like I'm a linebacker for some football team - complete with pads!

stephicakes
06-23-2012, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the concern garymacd - I totally know you have to be careful when it comes to calorie intake and staying healthy! No worries - I do see my doctor and she says I am in perfect health for a 35 yr old woman. I actually have a heart murmur so I am constantly making sure all is well :) Not only that, but I am also a vegetarian so I constantly have to make sure I am getting the right balance of protein, carbs, etc. Getting enough calories to maintain my activity and eating healthy is a big part of my day. I am only 5'4" so I have an athletic build and definitely not too thin. It comes down to health for me - not weight. I choose to be very physically active and I love that lifestyle. It's not right for everyone. I am very competive and love the challange physical trainers provide for me. I guess it's my "hobby"

stephicakes
06-23-2012, 08:41 AM
... sorry... I posted before I was done.

I totally appreciate your concern and don't take it the wrong way at all! I go on vaca in a couple of weeks so I will give my body a week of rest which is very important as well. I will be paddling in a kayak up in the Adirondacks :cool: and enjoying some veggie burgers on the grill. LOL!

stephicakes
06-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Hmmm… I’m back. I guess your post did bother me garymacd the more I thought about it. :( I find it a little ironic that a healthy person posting on the Healthy Living Club thread is the one that gets critiqued? I have read numerous posts on this thread by people who are overweight & unhealthy but somehow I feel singled out because I am very fit & disciplined? Nowhere in my post did I mention I was trying to lose weight. My body fat % went down due to my increase muscle mass over the past couple of years (gradually). I don’t need to lose weight nor is that my intent. I work VERY hard to keep an athlete’s body and I guess that is why I take it personally. And I take my health very seriously and would never do anything to jeopardize it (overexertion, etc.). I see my doctor regularly and this includes blood tests to make sure all things are where they should be due to my vegetarian diet (vitamin D, iron, etc). Hopefully everyone does this!

Let’s remember some statistics at the other end of the spectrum: An adult who has a BMI (body mass index) between 25 and 29.9 is considered overweight. An adult who has a BMI of 30 or higher is considered obese. There are calculators online that can help you determine where you are at. Health issues caused by obesity: Coronary heart disease, Type 2 diabetes, Cancers (endometrial, breast, and colon), Hypertension (high blood pressure), Dyslipidemia (for example, high total cholesterol or high levels of triglycerides), Stroke, Liver and Gallbladder disease, Sleep apnea and respiratory problems, Osteoarthritis (a degeneration of cartilage and its underlying bone within a joint), Gynecological problems (abnormal menses, infertility) *cited: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention*.

I just personally want to do everything I can to lessen my chances of getting any of the illnesses above. I’m sorry if this post sounded defensive… just trying to clarify who I am.

I wish everyone luck reaching their personal goals. :)
steph

garymacd
06-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Steph I am very happy that you take your health seriously and get constant checkups by your health care team.

I didn't mean to upset you and I apologise if I did.

After watching my crewmate (who is the same age as you, and about the same size, too) going through what she is dealing with on a daily basis, I just get a little concerned.

I'm sorry. I shouldn't stick my nose in where it really doesn't belong.

TheVBs
06-27-2012, 08:48 AM
Stephicakes, sorry you felt upset. But, I don't think Gary was critiquing you at all. Just offering helpful advice. I think it's important to remember that no matter where we all are on our journey to fitness and better health, we can all benefit from the support and advice that others are willing to offer. I've never seen anyone critique anyone else here, this is a very positive, supportive thread. If I'm further along in my journey than someone else is, I don't place myself above them in terms of needing that support. Gary's comment was very well intentioned, if it didn't apply to you, a "thanks, but I got it covered" would be a great response. :mickey: It's fabulous that you see your doctor regularly and it sounds like you've got a handle on things! :thumbsup:

stephicakes
06-28-2012, 01:35 PM
duly noted :) Again, I apologize for sounding defensive. I don't think anyone likes to be compared to anyone else. I could have been having a bad day and took garymacd's reponse the wrong way. :( I never think I am above needing support and/or encouragement and it is always welcome.

Looking forward to my time in the mountains and some peace & quiet (and rest!) in a week
:thumbsup:
steph

TheVBs
06-28-2012, 02:54 PM
No worries! :mickey: We all have those moments.

And, I could use some advice please! I'm on my second pair of running shoes. I get Asics and I love them! My first pair I had for a year, this pair I've only had for 6 months. Lately when I work out my feet are hurting! :( I am not a runner. I just do about 3-3.5 miles a day, 5/6 days a week (ideally) at about 4mph. So, fast walking on a treadmill for, say about 45 minutes. I'm finding it hard to believe that I've really worn through my shoes in this short of time. :confused: Are my feet hurting because my workout routine has been interrupted lately and I'm trying to get back into it regularly? Or do I just need new shoes? Is it reasonable to think they need to be replaced already? How do I tell? Thanks for any and all help! :mickey:

stephicakes
06-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Thanks for understanding :) Lots going on personally (mom starting radiation again and a sister's wedding that no other family is going to) so I have been over-sensitive lately. ugh.

As for running shoes I can only tell you what my sports medicine PT told me - treat them like the oil in your car... change them after so many miles or so many months! He suggested I buy new ones every 6 months and I am sure there are people who buy new ones more often than that. I know there are specialty running stores where they can film you running/walking and tailor inserts to best fit your foot or suggest better shoes for you. I personally keep gel inserts in mine permanently for more cushion. So, 6 months sounds about right if you are walking that often. Everything is connected... feet, knees, hips & back so treat yourself to a new pair if you find it helps!

Hope this helps a little :thumbsup:

TheVBs
06-29-2012, 08:11 AM
I do understand, I have so been there. Not the same specific things of course, but the same end result. Hang in there!

And thanks for the response! My gut feeling is that I need new shoes. But, my head was saying it just didn't make sense that I would have gone through them that fast. I thought the 6 month replacement thing was for serious runners and shoes that were taking a beating outside. Well, I can get new ones and see if that does the trick. If it does, I'll know I needed new ones. If it doesn't, I can always set those aside for when I do need them.

garymacd
07-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Before getting her real job (designing Disney clothing for stores like Sears, Target and Walmart - which she loves) my youngest daughter worked at a sporting goods store called National Sports.

Part of her training at the store was in shoes. She now has me replacing my shoes every six months, because, like you, my feet, knees and ankles start to hurt after that amount of time.

Shoes do wear out. And let's face it: we are all getting older. Well, everyone except me, of course. As we get older, our bodies change and aren't nearly as flexible and forgiving as they were in our 20's.

Another thing to consider is inserts for your shoes. There are always custom made orthotics you can get, but they are expensive. Dr. Scholl's now makes inserts for your shoes. I saw the display at Costco. Barefoot Science also makes a wonderful insole replacement with a series of inserts that actually train your instep to stay up. They are more flexible than hard custom orthotics.

Steph. We are here for you and each other. I hope your mother makes it through her chemotherapy.

TheVBs
07-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Ok. I ordered new shoes today. I kept trying the ones I have and it was so hard to get through the workout because my feet were sore. Not worth it. The upside is that I got 30% off, free shipping, no tax and the place I ordered from usually has them at my door in just a day or two! :)

TheVBs
07-11-2012, 04:20 PM
Got my new shoes today! :)

I also decided to kick it up a notch by joining a dance class. It's once a week, for an hour and a half for eight weeks. It's an African dance class but she actually started us out with Samba. I went to the first class this past Monday and it was an intense workout! Fun too though, we even get to dance to live drummers. :thumbsup:

Mrs Bus Driver
07-25-2012, 09:32 AM
Another thing I want to mention is water, water, and more water. It will also help maintain a feeling of fullness. Some people naturally enjoy water. I was not one of them. But again, because I'm committed to this, I've had a gradual change of taste. I still crave a soda and will drink one occasionally, but my water bottle stays with me always. If I leave the house, it goes with me. I've even taken it to the movies with me but they occasionally balk at that. It is one of the healthiest choices we can make for ourselves.
When I saw your comment about going to the movies I just wanted to say that our local chain of theaters sells a refillable drink cup. I bought one of these and just have them fill it with water (no charge for the water) and no one says anything about. :mickey:

TheVBs
08-13-2012, 09:48 AM
Decided to add something new to the mix and signed up for a karate class. Not exactly a cardio workout, but definitely gets my body moving in new ways. The frustrating thing though is that, with the addition of the dance and karate classes to my regular routine, I feel like I'm working harder, but getting less benefit somehow. :( My body isn't feeling the way I thought it would.

stephicakes
08-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Don’t get discouraged!! I have TOTALLY gone through the same thing (multiple times actually) where I feel like I am working my butt off but getting nowhere! If I change up my routine it seems to take my body a little while to catch up metabolism-wise. Thing is, you ARE getting stronger and healthier even if you don’t feel like it at the moment. And by switching things up, you are preventing muscle memory so you will see results. Plus it's so great that you are trying something new. It sounds like fun!!

I recently have started working with a personal trainer once a week to make sure I am working all my muscles evenly. She started me on “Shakeology” to make sure I am getting all the correct nutrients every day. I definitely feel better since adding one shake a day (NOT using it as a diet shake, just added it to my current regiment). Curious… does anyone else use Shakeology and if so, do you like it??

thanks! :mickey:
steph

TheVBs
08-13-2012, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the encouragement Stephicakes! It really helps to know this is something others have experienced. I'm really hoping that's the case, or something else that's just temporary. Just wish my body felt better right now. But, I'm not giving up, promise!

I have never heard of shakeology. Totally new to me! I would be interested in hearing more about it. Looking over some smoothie recipes recently, I found a lot that had veggies in them too. I'm trying to make sure I get more veggies in and I'm wondering if that's a good way to do it. Is that kind of the same idea?

stephicakes
08-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Shakeology is actually a powder that you can add to various liquids to make a shake. You can add fruit and other ingredients to make delicious recipes. It’s promoted by “Beachbody” (P90X) and claims to be one of the healthiest shakes out there (provides essential nutrients and eliminates toxins). If you Google “Shakeology” there is more info on the web. Of course, it’s NOT for everyone but I personally feel better since starting this 2 weeks ago. I drink 1 a day and it is VERY filling. I like it a lot better than the whey protein that I normally use to make a shake for a post-workout meal. Downside is, it is not cheap. But worth it for me and a lot cheaper than some breakfasts I could buy.

I love the idea of mixing vegetables in your shakes too VBs! My friend has a “Vitamix” blender and it is amazing! Have you heard of it? They have recipes on their website if you are interested in some ideas. The blender is not cheap but he uses it every day. He even makes healthy soups with it. I think it is more powerful than a regular blender for pureeing vegetables.

Let me know how your smoothies go! And share some ideas!
:walk:

PlutoToo
08-26-2012, 09:02 PM
Don't give up on Karate as an aerobic exercise. Once you start learning katas, all you have to do is katas at 100%. Trust me, I took for 20 years. Katas at 100% will tire you out. It's also great for flexibility and coordination.

TheVBs
08-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the encouragement! :mickey: I won't give up on it. I know that you build up your speed and that those sessions are definitely aerobic.

My workout routine is still disrupted in spite of (or maybe because of?) the additions to it. :( Still loving the dance class, but it's intense and I am sore for longer periods from it. I know when school starts next week the forced routine will help fix that.

I have to also get back to tracking food and really paying attention to what I'm eating. I seem to be battling belly fat right now. :mad:

Tink#64
08-29-2012, 12:53 AM
:blush:Gary, I'm so very sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is, I lost my dad 8 years ago next month & I miss him every day.

On the nutrition/fitness level, Myfitness pal is awesome! As is P90X! I work out mostly regularly, lately, not as much, but I think my "diet" has improved far & wide! Natalie - I've noticed Myfitesspal adding those calories in to compensate for my exercise but I've not added to my caloric intake. Needless to say, I can't seem to rid myself of those 4 pounds I gained over vacation! I eat 5 times a day, I usually stay inder 1200 calories a day, lots of days under 1000 and my weight mostly stays the same! I eat all day long, I'm never hungry, almost 100% good stuff, but now that I'm in my late 40's & hormone's gone haywire like a teenager, my body has changed more than my weight & I hate it! :mad: No matter the workout or the "diet". I'm small frame, eat tons of fruits & veggies, egg for breakfast everyday, & fast food only once a week & go for healthiest I can then! I'm happy to say that DS's & I have totally switched to water & soda's are far & few in between! I've read so much about Shakeology & I know many that are huge fans, I just haven't made the decision to try it yet. I'm afraid I'll feel like I'm missing out on eating! lol But I'm feeling frustrated, exercise & "diet" & still feeling "fluffy"! I know that I really need to recommit myself to P90X, I felt so much better when I was really following this workout program - 6 days a week! I've just got to dig deep & find that motivation again! :thumbsup:

TheVBs
08-30-2012, 10:22 PM
I so understand the feeling fluffy thing! I really feel like I was working harder, but feeling fluffier. :confused: But, I am so sore after the 90 min dance classes that it takes me most of the rest of the week to recover. :blush: I do still work out, but it's harder because I'm not feeling my best. I do need to crack down on the food I'm eating too. Not eating drastically differently, but haven't been tracking and I still need to improve my diet overall. I'm mid-40's so maybe I have some of the same things going on. Hang in there Tink! Hopefully we'll both be feeling a little less fluffy soon. :D

Tink#64
08-31-2012, 12:07 AM
I so understand the feeling fluffy thing! I really feel like I was working harder, but feeling fluffier. :confused: I'm mid-40's so maybe I have some of the same things going on. Hang in there Tink! Hopefully we'll both be feeling a little less fluffy soon. :D

VB's I'm late 40's and I think that age/metabolism/hormones are playing a huge role! As long as I can rmember I've excersized, ate pretty well & knew exactly what to do & how hard to work to be somewhat summer/beach/pool ready! Now - wow - it's just so frustrating, I feel like I'm working just as hard, eating even better & although I'm not overweight, I'm so frustrated trying to see the slightest change in my physique! And although the change on the scale is minimal - the way the clothes fit is :mad::thedolls::mad:! Today I looked into the the Shakeology 3 day cleanse & I'm just about ready to commit! It sounds great both nutritionally speaking and personal weight loss benefits! Can anyone that's tried Shakeology share their experience!

stephicakes
08-31-2012, 07:42 AM
Hi Tink#64! :D As mentioned before, I have been on Shakeology for about 3 weeks now (1 shake per day) and feel great! I don't use it as a diet drink, just a great way to get the nutrients I need. I use the chocolate powder with soy milk and it is delish and very filling (consistency becomes thicker when used in a blender) so if you wanted to supplement a meal with it, it will keep you full. I have used various protein drinks over the years and this is by far the best I have had. I definitely feel better since starting it which helps with my very busy physical training schedule. Give it a try!

I would also love to hear other's experiences with it as well... :)

steph
(turning 36 in the World next month! :cloud9:)

Tink#64
08-31-2012, 09:51 PM
Hey Steph, thanks for sharing! Sounds great, yeah the Chocolate was the flavor that sounded best to me! I defintely think it's time I give it a try! Everything about it sounds fantastic! I'm really excited about it! :D And wishing you a very happy birthday & trip! :tink:

brownie
09-18-2012, 11:40 PM
Have to share this. This is the 3rd year I've run in the Run Wild for the Detroit Zoo 5K. I knocked about 4 minutes off my time from last year and here are the results:

23:01
Overall place 91 / 1916
Gender place 81 / 649
Division place 8 / 76

garymacd
10-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Have to share this. This is the 3rd year I've run in the Run Wild for the Detroit Zoo 5K. I knocked about 4 minutes off my time from last year and here are the results:

23:01
Overall place 91 / 1916
Gender place 81 / 649
Division place 8 / 76

Well done, Steve!
If there is one thing I miss, it's running. My ankles just won't take the pounding anymore.

brownie
10-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Well done, Steve!
If there is one thing I miss, it's running. My ankles just won't take the pounding anymore.

For many years it was my knees. Did the couch to 5K program on a treadmill about 3 years ago, started running outside, and have been running ever since without any knee problems. Hopefully I have many years of running left on these knees.

stephicakes
11-12-2012, 06:32 PM
So… update. The ball of my left foot has been killing me the last 6-12 months to the point I stopped running completely a few months ago and replaced spinning on my stationary bike for it altogether. I put off seeing a doctor (like most stubborn people do!) hoping it was just a pulled tendon and it would heal on its own. I was wrong. It was getting worse this summer to where I couldn’t do any sort of jump training at all. Needless to say, Disney was a little painful this past September. So… I finally went to a podiatrist today who took x-rays and the diagnosis is a fracture of my sesamoid bone. *sigh* So now I am in this REALLY attractive shoe cast ;) for several weeks hoping it will heal on its own so no surgery is needed to remove the piece that has broken off. The doctor thinks I probably fractured it a couple times and it just wouldn’t heal due to repeated impact. The bone is only the size of a blueberry so I guess it was a pain I could tolerate all these months. I just need to be patient and let it heal completely so I can get back to running soon (hopefully!). I can still bike, weight train with my trainer, swim, etc. Just no running or high impact activities. Lesson learned that I need to listen to my body… even with the little things.

Well, that’s it for me!! Hope everyone else is doing well and staying healthy as we enter the holiday season!
steph
:D

garymacd
11-12-2012, 09:19 PM
Don't worry, Steph. You will get better. You have all the luck with neat footwear.

As for me, I made the decision today, reluctantly, to put my bike away for the winter. The weather is supposed to turn cold and with the rain today the roads will probably start to freeze.

I put about 2000 km's on my new bike this year and wanted to do more. Maybe next year.

For now, it's back into the gym for static workouts.

TheVBs
11-13-2012, 04:53 PM
Hope your foot heals quickly Stephi!

Gary, sorry you have to store the bike now. It has gotten really chilly out!

I've been struggling to stick with my workout routine for the last few months. Something's always interfering! But lately it's been easier to be consistent. Lots of bad food around this time of year too! Frustrating.

TheDuckRocks
12-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Help!!! I went to Weight Watchers yesterday and have now lost 25 pounds this year. Happy dance, happy dance. Still have another 25 to go. But........I want Christmas cookies and egg nog and pasta, pasta, pasta NOW!
Then we leave on the 29th for WDW and I want to eat everything while I'm there.
I won't get to another WW meeting until Jan. 15. I think maybe help isn't what I need so much as prayers.
Thanks for listening, I will now quietly slink off and behave myfatself.:blush:

magicofdisney
12-19-2012, 12:32 PM
Kay,

You are doing FANTASTIC! Personally, I'm of the belief that it's ok to indulge during the holidays. I'm not talking craziness here, because moderation is always best. I've learned to not deny my every desire. A little here and there will not ruin my long term goals if my overall consistency is balanced.

We had a week in Disney after Thanksgiving. We also had the dining plan. We splurge once a year for this treat. I came home with the scales reading 10lbs heavier. However, after about a week and a half of healthier eating and exercise, I was back to my pre-vacation weight.

Some may say I am sabotaging my efforts. I don't agree. I no longer view weight maintenance/loss as an event, but as a lifestyle. The slower it comes off, the easier it is to sustain.

garymacd
12-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Help!!! I went to Weight Watchers yesterday and have now lost 25 pounds this year. Happy dance, happy dance. Still have another 25 to go. But........I want Christmas cookies and egg nog and pasta, pasta, pasta NOW!
Then we leave on the 29th for WDW and I want to eat everything while I'm there.
I won't get to another WW meeting until Jan. 15. I think maybe help isn't what I need so much as prayers.
Thanks for listening, I will now quietly slink off and behave myfatself.:blush:

Just remember all the exercise you will get at WDW with all that walking! That will help eliminate a lot of calories, so you couldeat a little more. Makes me hungry for beignets.