PDA

View Full Version : Should we stay @ Dolphin/Swan??

Guinevere
01-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Ok, So I am starting back on the boards here after an 8 yr break. Love you guys!!:thumbsup:
We are planning a 2 family trip to Disney in the beginning of May with my family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids 5 &2) and my SIL family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids 5 & 3). We don't really want to spend a lot on accomodations so we were looking at value resorts or possibly mod resorts with the promo's going on right now. I found a good rate at the Dolphin & Swan with my Costco membership, so now I am thinking about staying there. What do you guys think?
Value resort we were looking at was Pop and then CB, PO, or CS for the mod (guess that is most of the mods huh?? :D)
We want a place that will work out nice for taking breaks with the kids, not be too crammed in, and possibly have a fridge, so we can eat breakfast in the room most days.
For some reason I don't have a good image of Swan and Dolphin from growing up. My parents never stayed there, and made bad comments about it. We stayed in Poly and Boardwalk a bit and also CB when I was growing up. I have heard they remodeled at Dolphin/Swan and it is a very nice place to stay. Is it too nice for families with small kids though too??

SBETigg
01-24-2012, 05:38 PM
You can't beat the location for the price. I was surprised to find that it did have the Disney feel for me, enough to suit the price and location. There's a great pool area, 24 hour quick service(Picabu at the Dolphin), spacious rooms, Disney gift shops and other great shops/restaurants. Queen beds at the Swan, doubles at the Dolphin, which might make a difference to you.

Location, location- for me, this has it all over the values and mods. You're within sight of Epcot and DHS, easy boatride or walk to either park, bus service to MK and to AK was pretty good, too. I had no problems when I stayed there and in fact enjoyed my stay very much. But I was traveling alone, attending a convention. That's one drawback, conventioneers, but I think the hotels handle it well.

DVC2004
01-24-2012, 06:22 PM
I am sorry to say, we didn't like it. Me and my boys stayed here one night a couple years ago before we moved on to GF. We have stayed at almost each place- Mods, Values, Deluxe and mostly DVC. We stayed at Dolphin because we thought the location was good.

I will say we did not dine there or visit the pool. It just did not feel "Disney" to me. The lobby was confusing because certain elevators only went to certain floors. It took us forever lugging around the suitcase to find the right one. Our room needed to be updated, I thought it was very "80's" with pastels, old/ dirty looking carpet. Furnishings looked really worn. We had a window that looked out onto another roof. The air conditioner did not work properly. It was very stuffy and musty in the room and it never got better. We did not sleep well all not due to the stuffy warm room. The walk from there to the International Showcase enterance at Epcot seemed long, veyr long. I have no problem walking but it did not feel quick or close at all.

Sorry I know alot of people love it but I just can't recommend it. I would stay at a Mod or even a value before going back. My kids hated it, and they still are talking about it 3 years later. They usually don't complain about any hotel, any where!

Kenny1113
01-24-2012, 06:26 PM
You can't beat the location for the price. ...
:ditto:
As a matter of fact we are staying here in March because of that. I got it for a little more than the values. (I hate the idea of paying double what i paid in Nov for the same room at POP) We have stayed at the swan in the past and had no complaints. I hope it is the same this time! We traveled with DSs 7 and 5 at the time. This trip we will be in same scenario, our fam of 4 and SIL fam of 5.

Awesome_guy
01-24-2012, 06:53 PM
We, too, loved our Dolphin stay. I certainly would recommend Dolphin or Swan after our experience. Great value for location! We had a great room, and great experience with amenities and staff.

We don't really want to spend a lot on accomodations so we were looking at value resorts or possibly mod resorts with the promo's going on right now. I found a good rate at the Dolphin & Swan with my Costco membership, so now I am thinking about staying there. What do you guys think?

A great rate was what also got us thinking Dolphin. Then after checking in with INTERCOT it just made total sense. Factor in that there are a few potential "extra" costs: transportation to/from any airport, a resort "fee" and parking considerations (if any of those apply)... we didn't have a vehicle. For us, it was still good value but always nice to factor everything in.

We want a place that will work out nice for taking breaks with the kids, not be too crammed in, and possibly have a fridge, so we can eat breakfast in the room most days.

We found transportation and the location PERFECT for potential breaks. We didn't request a fridge or pay extra for one and had one... that was a nice perk.

For some reason I don't have a good image of Swan and Dolphin from growing up. My parents never stayed there, and made bad comments about it. We stayed in Poly and Boardwalk a bit and also CB when I was growing up.

You have to do what's right for you. If you feel like you might be put off by staying there already, that's worth noting. Know that EMH privileges as well as having purchases sent-back to the resort all still apply. Again, we loved our stay.

We appreciated being in the Boardwalk resort area, too. It was nice to explore the nearby resorts which felt nice and close. Boardwalk Bakery, awesome. Beaches and Cream at Yacht/Beach, also awesome.

Jeff
01-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Next to the Poly, the Swan is my families favorite. We have stayed there many times! :thumbsup:

Guinevere
01-25-2012, 09:39 AM
A great rate was what also got us thinking Dolphin. Then after checking in with INTERCOT it just made total sense. Factor in that there are a few potential "extra" costs: transportation to/from any airport, a resort "fee" and parking considerations (if any of those apply)... we didn't have a vehicle. For us, it was still good value but always nice to factor everything in.

We found transportation and the location PERFECT for potential breaks. We didn't request a fridge or pay extra for one and had one... that was a nice perk.

Did you use the Magical Express from the airport. Looks like this deal doesn't include Magical Express, so I am trying to figure out how we get from MCO to the Swan. Any suggestions? Does anyone know if I can still get Magical Express by setting it up on m own?

Thank you so much everyone for your comments so far. Looks like we are thinking of the Swan most likely.

MOJoe
01-25-2012, 12:03 PM
My family loves the Swan and Dolphin. For us, the location is near perfect. With teen boys, The Studios is our favorite park. And with Epcot, the Boardwalk and Fantasia mini golf, all a short walk away, this location really puts us where we want to be.

There are a couple of drawbacks. You cannot use Magical Express. You must rent a car, taxi or limo service to get back and forth from the airport. You also have no real Disney theme. Unless being the Boardwalk's next door neighbor qualifies.
As a convention center, this resort really caters to adults. But kids enjoy it too. Especially the pool complex. There are people who don't care for the S&D. But i would not hesitate to stay there again. And it would be my first choice if the rate was the same as a Disney Mod.

SBETigg
01-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Did you use the Magical Express from the airport. Looks like this deal doesn't include Magical Express, so I am trying to figure out how we get from MCO to the Swan. Any suggestions? Does anyone know if I can still get Magical Express by setting it up on m own?

Thank you so much everyone for your comments so far. Looks like we are thinking of the Swan most likely.

No Magical Express, but there are plenty of transportation options at different price ranges. You can rent a car or arrange motor coach transport in advance (Quicksilver or Mears) or just go to a desk for car/taxi/motor coach when you arrive. I find it easier to have a reservation. It was absolutely no problem, though. I think I used Mears and they had some good round trip prices. Other times, we have used Quicksilver car service and we love them.

disneynarula
01-25-2012, 01:48 PM
I think it's all about perspective. It really depends on what you are used to. If you are used to staying at a deluxe villa it's probably a step down.

I think it's few steps up from a value and you can't beat the location for the price.

If you are going to spend most of your time at Epcot and HS I would go for it.

I think you are going to get the same range of replies for almost every resort on and off property.

kcrc
01-26-2012, 07:33 AM
You also didn't mention if you were interested in the dining plan or not. My impression is that it's not available here. Is that correct?

Melanie
01-26-2012, 08:32 AM
You also didn't mention if you were interested in the dining plan or not. My impression is that it's not available here. Is that correct?

That is correct, it is not available at Swan/Dolphin.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
01-29-2012, 12:34 AM
We've stayed at the Dolphin many times and I love it. The first time we stayed at POR was only for one night and my nephew was very upset that we had to stay there instead of "our" regular hotel. LOL and he was only about 4-5 at the time. So I guess for little kids it did/does have the Disney feel. I love it there.

The beds are so comfortable. And I love being able to walk back to the hotel without having to wait on boats, trains, planes, buses etc.
We've always rented a card when we stayed there because we'd go to the grocery store or up I Drive looking around and you can find some good prices on car rentals if you go to another website and get the codes look for car reservations.

nat
03-25-2012, 10:23 AM
"Queen beds at the Swan, doubles at the Dolphin, which might make a difference to you."
Is that still the way it is set up???
Also, do you have to pay to park your car?
Thanks, Nat

Kenny1113
03-25-2012, 10:58 AM
Yes and yes. Parking is $15 per day to self park. I believe $20 to valet.

nat
03-25-2012, 11:09 AM
Thank you!

GoldenDreams
03-25-2012, 08:34 PM
I have not stayed at the Swan or Dolphin, but we went down last year with my sister & her husband & kids and with my mom and got 3 rooms at POFQ. It really met our needs in the ways you are describing. We were able to get 3 rooms together with 2 of them having a connecting door so that the kids could play together in the morning and we had a nice time chatting on the balcony or sitting around the pool on our days off. A friend recently stayed at one of either the Swan or Dolphin and didn't find it very "Disney" because it didn't have the same level of customer service. I hope that helps.

d_m_n_n
03-27-2012, 10:03 AM
My husband and I stayed at the Swan for a quick trip last February and loved it! The price was very reasonable, but the BEST part was waking up every morning with a view of Spaceship Earth!!! We wouldn't hesitate to stay there again :)

mydisneygirls
03-27-2012, 11:24 AM
I've never stayed at the Dolphin/Swan, but I've heard good things about it from friends. The only thing I would suggest is to take into consideration the cost of transportation to/from airport or car rental expense as others mentioned. Also, staying at the Dolphin or Swan, you're not getting the Disney feel that your kids might be looking forward to.

For the heck of it (because I've heard the D/S rates can be more than a value/mod), I checked the Disney site a room at the Pop came out to $754 for 7 nights in May. That's a little over $100 per night. Staying there, you'd get to use Magical Express and will get the advantage of extra magic hours.

#1donaldfan
03-27-2012, 12:18 PM
If you want relaxing and a place to unwind a bit then you need to stay at Riverside !! It's very shaded, very laid back, quiet, many things to do and a mulitude of pools to choose from for the kids ( of all ages).....for the price, ability to utilize the DP, ALL Disney transportation, and definately the Disney "FEEL", you just can't go wrong !!!! :thumbsup:

Fastpasssteve
03-28-2012, 03:19 AM
My sister-in-law is a teacher and gets a good rate at the Swan & Dolphin because of it. She has always enjoyed it, but theming isn't as important for her. She likes a nice, clean room. I think she also likes the common areas and the Starbucks in the morning.

If theming is a big issue for you...that "Disney" feel...then maybe the Swan & Dolphin isn't for you.

sara114
04-28-2012, 10:29 PM
Here at the Dolphin now. I will not be staying here again. Only here now due to convention that I am attending.
Room is much needing update and the "luxury bed" is not very comfortable. I had to call front desk 3 times before getting problems resolved on missing blow dryer, refrigerator not working , and door not locking !
This hotel does not have the Disney feel or the guest service that others have. I have stayed at value, mod and deluxe. I would take value over this hotel.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-29-2012, 12:13 AM
I've never stayed at the Dolphin/Swan, but I've heard good things about it from friends. The only thing I would suggest is to take into consideration the cost of transportation to/from airport or car rental expense as others mentioned. Also, staying at the Dolphin or Swan, you're not getting the Disney feel that your kids might be looking forward to.

For the heck of it (because I've heard the D/S rates can be more than a value/mod), I checked the Disney site a room at the Pop came out to $754 for 7 nights in May. That's a little over $100 per night. Staying there, you'd get to use Magical Express and will get the advantage of extra magic hours.

You DO get the advantage of Extra Magic Hours when you stay at the Swan & Dolphin.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-29-2012, 12:15 AM
Here at the Dolphin now. I will not be staying here again. Only here now due to convention that I am attending.
Room is much needing update and the "luxury bed" is not very comfortable. I had to call front desk 3 times before getting problems resolved on missing blow dryer, refrigerator not working , and door not locking !
This hotel does not have the Disney feel or the guest service that others have. I have stayed at value, mod and deluxe. I would take value over this hotel.

Things must have changed because the beds at these resorts have always been the most comfortable that I've ever slept in. And I used to work in the hotel industry and went to many of the hotels that the company I worked for owned. I LOVE the beds at the S&D!

And I think it really has the Disney feel when you look out the window and you can see Spaceship Earth off in the distance.

I'm really sorry you had such a bad experience. When we've had anything go wrong, which was seldom, it was resolved ASAP.

Kenny1113
04-29-2012, 08:18 AM
In march, I found the beds to be the most comfortable hotel beds I have slept in. DH (:jaw: he is not a Disney person ) agreed with missing that Disney feel. For me being waking distance to EPCOT, and seeing either Epcot or DHS from your room make up for that!

Sorry to hear you did not enjoy it! At least now you know!