PDA

View Full Version : Contemp. yes or no

squad51
01-23-2012, 10:09 PM
First of all this is post #100.:thumbsup:

It has always been a dream of mine to stay at the Contemporary Resort, park view, higher floor. I think I have my 6y/o on board. I don't know if it's the monorail, the magic kingdom right next door, or staying in the first (of 2) resorts when WDW opened in 1971.

I want feedback. I don't know when our next trip will be but I know we will stay at Contemp, Wilderness, or one of the Epcot deluxe.

Please help:mickey::geek2:

jmj18
01-23-2012, 11:03 PM
I am probably 1 of the few that did NOT like it...

I just didn't feel the warmth I feel at the other resorts...my favorite being the POLY...

Having said that...I still think everyone should stay there at least 1x...the view was AMAZING and the kids LOVED the monorail going thru the hotel...

Whatever you decide...enjoy!

:mickey:

GeorgieRussell
01-24-2012, 12:10 AM
Congratulations on your 100th post.
On my first trip to WDW in the seventies, I saw the monorail going through the hotel and thought that that was about the coolest thing I'd ever seen. It took thirty years, but DW and I celebrated our tenth anniversary there in 2006 (thanks again to Karen at Magical Journeys), and we loved it. We were on the Bay Lake side, one floor below concierge level if I remember correctly, and the room was upscale and surprisingly very quiet, with a couple of Disney-detail amenities that we would never have dreamed of. It remains one of the two most memorable hotel stays (in the best way) that we've enjoyed.

JenniferS.
01-24-2012, 06:25 AM
YES! We stayed there one year and LOVED it! It's so nice to be able to walk to MK. The rooms are really nice too! We stayed in the tower room but with the bay lake view. I would love to stay there again, but we are a family of 6 and we'd have to get 2 rooms or a suite, which costs way too much to be worth it.

DizneyRox
01-24-2012, 06:52 AM
Add me to the list of no desire to stay there. When I go, it's usually a bathroom break on my way over to the Hoop Dee Doo.

WL, been there done that, no need to go there again either.

Epcot resorts are where it's at, if you can find a room at AKL.

SBETigg
01-24-2012, 08:25 AM
If you've always wanted to stay there, I think you need to go for it. The views are amazing from both sides of the A-frame. It's cavernous and busy, and not quite for me now, but it was overwhelmingly wonderful when I was 12 and we took our first trip to WDW. It's a great location.

BrerGnat
01-24-2012, 08:53 AM
I love the Contemporary. Always have. It was technically the first resort I ever stayed at...when my parents took me in 1979 at 9 months old. :baby:

I love the rooms here. Our last stay, a few years ago, was in the tower, Theme Park View, 10th floor. It was AMAZING. I loved it. Best view ever!

However, the Beach Club is also an amazing resort, through and through. For my family, the Epcot resorts are where it's at. I think my kids would love the Contemporary (and my husband too, he has never stayed there), but it would be hard to give up being within walking distance to Epcot, our favorite park.

If MK is your favorite park, Contemporary is a great option. However, my other favorite MK resort is Wilderness Lodge.

In general, go with what resort appeals to you most, from pictures or whatever. If there is one you are drawn to more than others, choose that one.

Mickey'sGirl
01-24-2012, 09:01 AM
Yes. The Contemporary is beautiful and convenient. We had a 10th floor tower room in 2010, and our then 6 year old LOVED it!

zipadeedoodah
01-24-2012, 05:46 PM
I personally, have never stayed at the Contemporary, but anytime I've been in there, it has seemed more like a busy train station than a luxury Disney resort. But, I haven't seen the rooms, and I'm sure the views are spectacular! When I stay at the Magic Kingdom resort area, I always choose Wilderness Lodge. It's the cheapest out of them, and is absolutley beautiful! Whatever you choose, I'm sure you will still have an amazing time! :)

AgentC
01-24-2012, 06:16 PM
I stayed at the Contemporary in Dec with a tower Bay Lake view. I also stayed at the Yacht Club in October.

I like the Contemporary and would stay there again, but I would pick the Yacht/Beach Club resorts over the Contemporary.

For my family-

Contemporary pluses

-beautiful views/firework viewing
-beautiful rooms though the desk set up felt very business like
-walk to MK
-monorail
-food choices

minuses
-can be loud.
-no real grounds to speak of/theming rather plain
-flat large sinks with not a lot of counter room. I felt like I had to use part of the sink as a counter
-average pool

But if you've always wanted to stay I would try it, you might love it.

If I wanted to stay in MK area, I would pick WL over the Contem. The rooms are not as large but I think the overall resort theme makes up for it.

If location doesn't matter, I would pick an Epcot resort.

Have fun choosing! :mickey:

DVC2004
01-24-2012, 06:28 PM
We have stayed here a few times, in 2003 we stayed in the Tower, on a higher floor, and had an MK view. We loved it. Our kids loved it. The room was not redecorated at that time, and it was not a "pretty" room (very bright primary colors everywhere, migrane inducing!) however now all the rooms are redone and look better. The view, however, could not be beat. Imagine walking out to your balcony to see the MK fireworks! It seriously looked and felt like a private show just for us. In 11 years of visiting WDW 2-3 times per year, that was probably the most awestruck we have ever been.

My boys at the time were litte, it was their second trip and they were 4 and 6. They loved it, they loved watching and getting on the monorail. Not to mention the Electrical Water Pageant floating past each night with it's cheerful music. Honestly, nothing has been better, before or since.

We stayed there again a few years ago, this time in the garden wing with no special view, but we still really enjoyed it. And the rooms were the newer decor.

I would go for it. It was a dream of my husband's since he first visited WDW to stay there and it was worth every penny we spent.

Keneva
01-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Congrats on #100!:party::party:. We stayed with our 5yo DD on MK side, 14th floor Tower club level. We all loved it. My DD would fall asleep looking at the MK castle as it changed colors. She was on the day bed/couch. Great location. Going to the pool was a little awkward as we had to schlep up and down the elevator dripping as we went. We are glad we went but are not planning on going back as we got hooked on the Poly. It really depends on what atmosphere you are looking for.

squad51
01-24-2012, 10:23 PM
I did not forget about the Poly but I also did not consider it. Now I am thinking that the Poly might be good. With the path to the TTC it makes the Poly the only monorail resort to Epcot. The boat to MK is also nice. I have not stayed at the Poly in over 20 years. I might need to look into this further.:mickey:

tdk316
01-25-2012, 06:47 AM
The Poly would be my first choice, but seeing that you've never stayed in the Contemporary, I'd stay there. It's just magical for a kid to be able to watch the fireworks from bed. :) Stay at the Poly next year...

Mousemates
01-25-2012, 07:18 AM
The CR is my favorite monorail resort...and with the feature of having the monorail actually drive through it, the absolute coolest form the perspective of a six year old (or even nine year old ...as was the case during my first stay back in the 70s).

ChipDale2708
01-25-2012, 10:21 AM
Add us to the few people who did not enjoy the Contemporary. Most of our dislikes come from circumstance and being unfamiliar with the resort. We stayed there two years ago in December because we wanted the convenience of the monorail for MK & EPCOT since our Christmas concentration would be btwn those parks. We were there during record cold temperatures and our room just never felt warm. We had a tower MK view room as well. Since it was so cold, the monorail was iffy on it's operation and for a lot of reasons it stranded us and made us late for several events. I didn't think the lack of Disney themeing in the rooms would bother me, but it did.

I can't say it was ever super noisy, but we could hear the concourse level from time to time. Also, my mistake not requesting, but our room was flipped so we couldn't see the MK from our beds as we had hoped. Now I know the rooms to request and to be on the non-Chef Mickey side.

I would maybe consider trying it again (in warmer weather), but would really rather be at the YC or BC. :cloud9:

twinboyz
01-27-2012, 12:38 PM
We own property at Bay Lake, so we are partial to the feel of the Contemporary, i would stay there if possible. :thumbsup:

WE toured the Wilderness on our last visit and it reminded me of Great Wolf Lodge or Wilderness in the Dells. Seeing you are from Wisconsin, I thought it might be a good reference.

Whatever you pick, have fun and happy planning!!!

mydisneygirls
01-27-2012, 01:22 PM
I think the Poly is more kid-friendly, especially the volcano slide at the pool which my girls always loved. My two favorite resorts are the Poly and WL --- to me they have an atmosphere whereas the CR doesn't.

KarenP
01-27-2012, 01:34 PM
Like you I always wanted to stay in the Contemporary and when I did I ending up loving it.

The view from our room in the tower was spectacular. We felt like we were right in the center of the magic with the monorail going right through the lobby and the closeness to Magic Kingdom.

I would certainly give it a try!

eire
01-29-2012, 12:16 PM
If you have always wanted to stay at the Contemp, I think you should do so! It IS a cool resort and I have enjoyed staying there. You can dine with characters right at Chef Mickey's and you are close to MK. There is nothing wrong with the Contemporary, in my opinion.

However, if you are just looking to stay at one of the originals with the monorail, then stay at the Polynesian! It is so beautiful, kid and adult friendly, and as the kids in my family say, "it smells good!" To me, it is the best place to "come home" to after dealing with heat and crowds at the parks all day!

Happy Planning- even when you are not sure exactly when you will be going, isn't it fun to know that you WILL be going back someday??!! We will spend a few days there after Easter - anticipation is half the fun!

RBrooksC
02-01-2012, 08:46 AM
We liked the CR. Yes, it is a bit "sterile." But, at least it isn't like the gaudy value resorts. Both views you get from the tower are good. My inlaws were in the garden rooms. The rooms were the same size. They are a little removed from the tower, but that isn't a problem.

We had a MK view and loved it. My fear of high places took a little while get get over but once I did I was able to enjoy a couple of evening on the balcony with a beer watching the lights of the MK. The fireworks from the room were a great perk.

I still think I like the WL a little better when compared to the CR, but either one is a great choice.

whitney37354
02-01-2012, 02:35 PM
We stayed at CR 12th floor Atrium CL, TPV. DD was 5 years old at the time. We all loved it. I requested an odd# room, so I could lie in bed every night & watch the colors change on Cindy's castle. We liked being able to walk back & forth to MK if we wanted to & the monorail to TTC/EPCOT was good too.

A dinner at Chef Mickey's was an elevator ride away & a quick lunch at Contempo Cafe was nice on a hot afternoon. The pools looked nice, but we never took the time to use them. The flat sinks weren't a problem for us---I just used the second sink as I would have a countertop. We were on the side of Chef Mickey, but not directly over it, & we could only hear noise if we were standing right at the room door. There was no reason to be standing at the door unless were were going out or coming in, so it wasn't a problem. Riding up & down the elevator to get a mug refill was a bit of a pain, but not a biggie, since club level had sodas in the lounge.

We'll go to WDW again someday but I don't know how I'll talk DH & DD into staying at another resort! I want to stay at all of them at least once---this is one of the things on my bucket list!

squad51
02-02-2012, 09:15 PM
Well we shall see if I can get a deal for mid may. I finally graduate from college after 18 years, one career change, and one course a semester. If I stay at the CR I could wake up early enough to take video and pics of the monorail starting their switching in the morning.

Does anyone know what time that starts in the morning?