BrerGnat
01-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Cast:

ME
DH
DS7 Max
DS5 Lucas

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Today was going to be a "whatever" day for us. We took our time getting up and ready for the day, eating breakfast rather late. DH did his standard morning workout, and the boys and I hung out in the room for awhile. Around 10:30, we decided to head out. The boys wanted to go back to the Boardwalk playground, so we headed that way. The weather was quite nice today, a bit more chilly than previous days, and a little cloudy. As we walked to the Boardwalk, we saw numerous people riding the Surrey bikes. The boys had really enjoyed this last year, and we were planning to do it again this trip, so how about now? Sounded good to us. When we got to the kiosk, we had to wait about 10 min for a bike to be returned, and then we enjoyed a leisurely ride around the lake twice. We decided we didn't want to sweat, so we took it nice and slow. Last time we did this, we made it three times around the lake, but it was WORK! We had fun, but the boys mostly just fought over who got to ring the bell. This will be our last time doing this with "riders" though. They are just too big, and barely fit in the little front seat. Next time, THEY are going to do the pedaling. :D

After returning the bike, we took the boys to the playground and DH and I discussed lunch plans. We were having dinner with my family at ESPN Club at 6:30, so we needed to eat lunch somewhere. While the boys played, I got on my cell phone and checked the DIsney mobile site. DH asked if Kona Cafe was available, and it was , so I made a reservation for 1pm. We let the boys play until noon, at which point we headed to the Boardwalk bus stop. We had quite a wait for an MK bus, and by the time we got there, and took the monorail to the Poly, it was time for our lunch ADR. While riding the monorail to Poly, we shared a cab with a family who was just loudly spewing Disney/Universal rumors right and left. DH and I couldn't even look at each other and keep a straight face due to the absurdness of what was being said. It was just funny...the conviction these people had that they were 100% right was just comical. It was always "You know what I heard..." followed by "yeah, that's what Joey/Vinny/Tommy's brother/son/father/boss told me." Classic. :laughing:

Funnily enough, that same family was ALSO eating at Kona. Awesome. DH was like "I can't listen to that anymore, I hope they get seated on the other side of the restaurant." They did. Thankfully. We were seated quickly, and Max had a mini meltdown about where to sit. Hunger striking full force, and it was making DH crabby too (he gets like them when he's hungry). ;) We ordered Max a smoothie and DH a beer to take the edge off. We placed our order for the food quickly as well, because we were all starving and we knew exactly what we wanted. Our waitress was so nice, and she provided us excellent service, even after she witnessed the tantrum. She really did go over and above to make our lunch enjoyable, and I appreciated that. Our food came out quickly and we all dug in. I had ordered the sticky wings (my FAVORITE!!!), Max had ordered the Pan Asian noodles with chicken (nothing on the kids menu here he would eat, but he loves chow mein), Lucas ordered a burger and fries (naturally), and DH ordered the Polynesian Plate Lunch with pan fried chicken. Unfortunately, they brought out DH's with a steak instead of chicken, but they took it back and corrected it quickly. All the food was fabulous! Max loved his dish, and I think he was happy to be eating something he really enjoyed. Most of the time, on vacation, he "tolerates" food. We were all stuffed at the end of lunch, and opted not to have dessert, as much as I wanted to. I love the desserts at Kona! Next time.

After lunch, we made our way back to the MK, and caught the bus back to our resort. We decided on some more pool time today, so we did that until about 5pm, at which point we headed in to shower and get changed for dinner.

Dinner tonight was at ESPN Club. We would have a party of 11. We arrived at the restaurant around 6:15 and spoke to a hostess, who assured us that they would get a table ready for us, and to let her know when everyone had arrived. Once my family arrived, we returned to the hostess stand. This is where the confusion began. They had originally said "we can push some tables together for your party." Then, when we were all there, it turned into "well, we can seat you at two separate tables, but we can't push them together." :confused: They walked me back to the tables they were talking about. They were high top 6 seaters, right next to each other. I said "this will be okay, I guess, but why can't we just push them together?" The guy was very elusive and vague, and just kept repeating that "we aren't able to push them together." Whatever. We were hungry, it was getting late, the boys were crabby already and I just wanted to get settled. When we got to the tables, my aunt and I just moved some chairs, shoved the tables together, and voila, table for 12. ALL we did was rotate the tables and push them back closer to the window. That's it. We didn't block the aisle or anything. The waiter arrived and looked all worried that we had done that, but whatever. It was so bizarre! At one point, DH and my Uncle were at the bar getting drinks (prior to sitting down) and they witnessed some guy yelling at the manager at the hostess stand about the SAME THING. He was saying "why can't you just push two tables together....that doesn't make sense...we have 10 people and we just want to eat at the same table." That guy left, though, and went elsewhere.

In any event, our dinner ended up being very enjoyable. The food was good, the company was great, and we didn't cause Armageddon by shoving our tables together. ;)

We bid goodbye to our family and walked back to the resort, where the boys were WAY past ready for bed!

Tomorrow would be our last day. No plans made yet, but MK and Epcot were likely.

faline
01-23-2012, 09:52 AM
It's so nice to have a relaxed day! Most restaurants routinely push tables together for larger parties so it's very strange that ESPN felt they could not do that??!!

mouseketeer mom
01-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Riding that Surrey bike around the boardwalk area is easier said then done!!
I had to laugh about the folks in the monorail with you guys. That drives me insane.

yjgirl32
01-23-2012, 11:13 AM
We had a similar experience at Planet Hollywood but they wanted to seat 10 of us at a small round table and when we asked if we could please have two table put together they gave us a problem. Weird.

MississippiDisneyFreak
01-23-2012, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the report...the table issue just doesn't make sense:(

buzznwoodysmom
01-23-2012, 05:49 PM
That is strange about the table. It's just silliness. My family would have likely done exactly what you guys did, take matters into our own hands and just push the tables together. That shouldn't be such a big deal.

We love Kona, and I know what you mean about their desserts. It seems every dessert there is wonderful!!!

You guys seem to have had a nice, slow day off. Probably just what you all needed.