PDA

View Full Version : Family Fun Time, Day 5 part Two

BrerGnat
01-23-2012, 09:08 AM
When I left off on my last report, it was day 5 (Monday night) and I was saying goodbye to DH and the kids at the entrance to MK. By the way, it was SNOWING on Main Street! Max loved it, and again, like at DHS, Lucas was afraid of it. It was a nice touch, though. After they left, I headed into the Confectionery to purchase some cookies for DH and I. It's an obsession, what can I say? I got two (yes, only two) chocolate chip supreme cookies for me and DH. The place was insanely busy! While in there, I kept hearing an announcement on Main Street about the "Magic, Memories and You" beginning in just 5 minutes. :confused: It was only 7:40. I double checked my times guide and it was only listed at 9:45pm. I was totally confused. I finished up the purchase and headed out to Main Street where the crowd was just amassed. They dimmed the lights, and started the music. Darn! I had REALLY wanted my boys to see this show, but they can't really stay up until 9:45 in the parks, and I was resigned to the fact that they would just miss it. I wish I had known about this "surprise" show earlier. DH and the boys were probably still at the bus stop. :mad: I made my way as far forward as I could, so I could at least take some pictures/videos to show the kids later. I got a pretty decent spot in a clearing by the hub, and got some good footage. Well, at least I got to see the show.

Afterwards, I took some nice shots of the castle, and while doing so, some sort of commotion broke out behind me, and it turns out a woman had tripped and both she and a man had fallen down. I didn't see what happened, but the woman seemed badly hurt (knee) and she was screaming and crying, but when people tried to help her, or ask her if she needed medical assistance she was REALLY rude and mean to them. She just kept yelling "get me out of here" to her companion, but she wouldn't let anyone help her. She limped off, cursing. Weird.

I decided to head into Adventureland. The Dole Whip siren song was calling me over. :D I got a Dole Whip, because I was craving something sweet (I saved my cookie for later). It hit the spot, and I did some shopping in the Adventureland shops while I ate it. I was feeling sort of "meh" about doing rides. I was glad to just be in the park, and with the freedom to do what I wanted. After the Dole Whip, I realized I was hungry. That half order of chicken nuggets at dinner hadn't really filled me up. I spotted the Egg Roll cart and grabbed a veggie one. Yum! So good.

I walked by PotC and Jungle Cruise (both of which had rather long lines, so I passed). Entering Frontierland, I noticed BTMRR still had FP left, for around 9:45, so I got one (Standby line was 70 min). I was debating Splash Mountian, and decided to go for it (Standby 10 min). I was soon on the ride, and asked to sit in the back (I did not want to get very wet). I enjoyed my ride as usual, but couldn't help noticing how many effects were not working. :( That made me sad. Usually, when I ride this, everything is working quite well, although I've read reports that mention what I experienced this night. In addition, the drop at the end of the ride did something to my neck. As soon as the boat hit the bottom, my head got thrown back, and it felt like I had strained my neck. :ill:

As I was riding Splash, the Main Street Electrical Parade was going by. I enjoyed the end of the parade as I got off the ride. I still like this parade more than Spectro. It's just so much more upbeat. At this point, I was starting to feel worn out. I quickly checked the ride waits using my cell phone, and most everything had prohibitive waits. I decided to skip BTMRR, not wanting to further mess up my neck, leaving the FP ticket on top of a trashcan right by the ride entrance. I headed back to the train station, and caught the train back to Main Street. I didn't feel like fighting the fireworks crowds. This ride was rather boring, although we did get a good look inside the construction area due to it being night, and there being floodlights in that area. We could see right through the mesh! Pretty cool. I can't help but feel underwhelmed by MK these days. I keep comparing it to Disneyland and it just doesn't measure up. I miss my Disneyland. :( I felt it a lot during this trip. I know, cry me a river, right? We should all be so lucky to even be able to experience one Disney park, let alone be so privileged to have a preference. I think I was just feeling homesick (for CA) in general, and visiting MK made me miss it even more. All of it, not just Disneyland, but it was the similarities and the "feeling" it brought back. Ah, life's tough. ;)

When I got back to Main Street, I did a bit more browsing in the shops, and found NOTHING I wanted to buy. Disappointing. I didn't even want to stick around for the fireworks. This mama was tired! I realized I had had a LONG day. I don't usually do this much running around all day, especially now that the kids are in school. I've gotten lazy. :-o

I made my way out of the park and was on a bus just as the fireworks were starting. I saw a few, but whatever. Wishes is not a "must do" for me. I've seen it enough times, and until they change to a new show, I don't see the point in seeing them every visit. Then, I realized they were doing the Holiday version, which I've not seen. Doh! Oh well. The few that I saw from the bus were nice.

When I got back to the BC, I did some browsing in the Marketplace, and then headed up to the room, where DH enjoyed the cookie I brought him while he watched the game. The boys were snoozing peacefully. Tomorrow would be a "day off" from the parks, and we had plans with some of my local family for dinner, so we went to bed with no concrete plans for the next day.

faline
01-23-2012, 09:21 AM
Being tired sometimes affects one's perception - perhaps that led to your lack of interest in the park on this evening. Hopefully, tomorrow's relaxed day will be good for everyone!

mouseketeer mom
01-23-2012, 10:32 AM
I agree with Linda, you sound tired, so hoping a day off tomorrow gets your motor running again. And also..I have to say, having been to SoCal only twice in my lifetime over the past two years, I have fallen in love with it. So I can only imagine how difficult a transition it's been for you to be on the East Coast now, and away from DL and So Cal in general, after having the privledge to have lived there.

BrerGnat
01-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Yeah, I was really tired. Also, I'm starting to get to the point where I've done enough "solo" time in the parks, and it's really not as fun anymore. I miss my family when I'm alone. Earlier in May, when I was there with my sister and she was laid up sick at the hotel, I didn't have as much fun on my own either. As much as my kids are very limited in what they want to do, I just overall enjoy being with them in the parks, even when it means I miss my favorite attractions.

And, I really, really, REALLY miss So Cal. A lot. Virginia is just not doing it for ANY of us. We're hoping and praying that we can return "home" in a few years, and DH can stay there until retirement from the military (7 years from now!).

We hope to get to Disneyland later this year!

yjgirl32
01-23-2012, 11:07 AM
Good report- sorry you were feeling homesick.

buzznwoodysmom
01-23-2012, 05:40 PM
I just overall enjoy being with them in the parks, even when it means I miss my favorite attractions.

This is exactly how I feel. Even tho DH and I talk about how cool it would be to one day do WDW just the two of us, without my kids it would be so different and I'm not sure I would enjoy it as much. I already feel like my kids are growing up too fast, I want to enjoy them as much as I can now while they are still "mine".

I can tell how much you miss HOME just by reading your posts. I wish you a quick stay in your current location and for a return to the place you guys have grown to love, and consider home. I do hope you make it to your beloved Disneyland this year!