PDA

View Full Version : TV Questions

DakotaDisney
01-22-2012, 05:18 PM
Anyone have knowledge about Insignia TVs? I know they are a Best Buy brand, but that is all I know.
I was looking at getting a new tv. It will not be my main TV. It will be for a den or bedroom, so I am looking at a 32" or 39".
I was looking at a Sony 32", 1080p, 60Hz, because I have read good reviews and have had good expeirence with Sony and Samsung tvs. But I found an 39" Insignia TV with the same specs as the Sony, just 7 inches bigger and cheaper.
Is the cheaper price and the larger size a good deal? Or would Sony or a Samsung be a better purchase?

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Does it have all the features that you want on it? Does it have all the connection ports that you want and need??

For the down and dirty - head to cnet and see what they say about the TVs. (I love cnet for electronics reviews.)

We ended up replacing a dying plasma with a Vizio because we could not beat the price for the features on Vizio AND having now dealt with customer service (remote DIED) I would buy Vizio again.

DakotaDisney
01-22-2012, 07:09 PM
Yes, I think it has the features that I need. The important numbers are the same as the Sony.

I did check cnet.com. Whenever I am buying electronics I usually check cnet. But they didn't have any reviews on Insignia,execpt one tv from several years ago and it was only a customer review. It concerns me a little that I can't find any reviews on cnet or anywhere else. The only ones I find are by customers on the Best Buy site and there are a variety of opinions there.

PopPhan
01-22-2012, 07:42 PM
This might help...

Insignia Product Quality

2.5/5 stars

Insignia positions itself as a value-brand HDTV. In non-marketing language, it means that it is low-priced and directed at consumers that don’t have a ton of cash to spend. The design and picture quality of an Insignia TV won’t impress your friends and family but not everyone is looking to buy the best of breed HDTV anyway.

Insignia TV’s appear to have a somewhat higher failure rate, specifically with the remote controls. Several users have noticed the Insignia remote controls lag when trying to change channels or perform other functions on the HDTV. If you end up using a remote from your cable/satellite provider or use a universal remote, this may not be an issue.

Many reports show that the picture quality tends to fade and get worse over time. You may start to see lines or other picture defects over time. These are all things to consider and weight against your budget and how you expect to use the Insignia TV.
Insignia Pricing & Value

3/5 Stars

As mentioned above, Insignia’s are one of the most competitively priced HDTV’s out there. But nobody wants to knowingly buy a dud if they think it is going to break in a year. If you’re shopping for a secondary TV, a kids room TV or if you’re just not a heavy TV-watcher and don’t need all the latest and greatest features, Insignia may be worth considering based on the price.

However, if you are an average TV viewer and this will be used as your primary television, the value isn’t as great and you may want to consider stepping up to a more reputable and reliable brand.
Insignia Customer Service

3/5 Stars

Our reviewers have never personally had to deal with Insignia’s customer service team. Being a Best Buy store brand, you may be able to get some assistance through Best Buy employees or the “Geek Squad” that is available from Best Buy for a fee. If you are worried about getting support after your puchase, we recommend calling in to their support line and seeing what kind of response you get. Make sure to note the wait times, the competency of the service rep you talk to and any other items that are important to you.
Insignia Overall Quality

3/5 Stars

Overall, it’s not secret that Insignia isn’t the #1 brand in the world when it comes to HDTV’s. However, there are wide ranges of people looking for HDTV’s. If you’re looking for top tier TV’s, keep looking at other brands like Sony, Panasonic and others. However, if you’re looking for more of an entry-level HDTV that you can watch a few movies on and just lightly use, Insignia has some options that will meet your needs. However, it may be worth finding an extended warranty to ensure that if the Insignia TV fails within 5 years or so, you can get a replacement.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-22-2012, 07:43 PM
No review on cnet and lack of reviews else where would put me off.

DakotaDisney
01-22-2012, 08:21 PM
PopPhan,
Where did you find that review of Insignia TVs?

DizneyRox
01-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Personally, I'd stay very far away from WostBuy stores and products. Sony isn't much better in my opinion either.

Samsung makes a nice TV, but LG is my personal favorite. I've got three, from a 22" in the bedroom to my main 55" TV in the great room.

All were purchased online for much less than the local stores and I've had zero problems with them. I've been steering friends/relatives to LG products and they have all been happy. I will say, one had a problem with a main board, and LG got someone right out there and fixed it on-site under warranty, no bubbles, no troubles.

Any product can breakdown. I find it's less about the problem than it is about how it is handled. I've been disappoints by WorstBuy too many times (as have the above mentioned friends/relatives) to recommend that anyone give them any business. They just don't deserve it.

7165red
02-15-2012, 04:20 PM
I have one and so far I am very happy with it.