PDA

View Full Version : Is POR right for us?

steamboat52
01-22-2012, 04:18 PM
I am about to book rooms at POR. By "about to" I mean that I have almost decided on that resort. Please give me your opinions on it for the following people:

A middle aged couple with mobility issues (using a walking aid)

A three year old

A young, newly married couple

College aged kids

If there is another resort you would recommend for this set of people (I would like for us to all be at the same resort), I'm all ears.:mickey:

And if you have a recommendation as to what area to request for the person with mobility issues, please share. We have only stayed at ALK before, but can't this year.

ColleenMcD
01-22-2012, 04:23 PM
From the map - it looks like PO- Riverside is quite large and requires walking a distance to the food court from even the preferred buildings...

PO- French Quarter looks smaller, with a simelar feel...

This is just my perspective from my own research on the POR. My family will be staying there for the first time in August.

The only other on-property resort we stayed at was All Star Sports 14 years ago...it was a lot of fun and if you stayed in the buildings closest to the main pool and food court the walk wasn't very far.

MstngDrvnDsnyLvr
01-22-2012, 06:38 PM
I'm with Colleen on this one....with mobility issues - I'd look at POFQ.

ibelieveindisneymagic
01-22-2012, 08:04 PM
Although POFQ is much smaller, and would be great for the mobility issues, it might also be better for the rest of your group, as the pool is also better for smaller kids (slide is smaller).

But, we stayed at POR on our honeymoon and loved it. We loved the winding paths, the almost-deserted quiet pools and the excellent food court. We felt like we were the only people around, it was wonderfully romantic.

We spent much more time at the quiet pool (which was really located about a two minute walk from the room, and has laundry), and (since we were close to the main building), it was easy to slip over for drink refills or to catch the bus.

POR has a large main pool, with a kids wading pool and many more activities (like fishing) and a food court that just can't be beat ... lots of selection!

So, if you book POR, I would look at a preferred room on the main floor, so you're closer to the main building and the main pool. But, it is a great resort and as long as you're close for the mobility issues, I really do think you'll love it.

KatrinaJ91
01-22-2012, 10:32 PM
POR is wonderful for any age group! Ask for the Alligator Bayou...bldgs 14, 15 or 18. They are very close to the main building and shouldn't be a problem for anyone. The quiet pools are very nice and the main pool is great for little ones. The food court is one of the best at any of the resorts. There is also a boat that you can take to Downtown Disney, which is a nice extra! In the Roost lounge, there is a wonderful performer that is awesome for the whole family. The atmosphere here is just amazing and you feel so relaxed!
(Can you tell this is our fav resort?) lol

No worries about this resort....it's wonderful!

RedSoxandPatsfan
01-23-2012, 07:27 AM
We love it there and are going back in April this year for our third visit. The kids love it. The Grand Parents loved it and the parents loved it.

My sister has mobility issues. She walks with a cane. We rent a wheel chair at the resort for the entire stay. Although we have been told this is a first come first served type thing we haven't had an issue here.

The grounds are peaceful and there is truly something for everyone there. We have always stayed in the mansions. The walk never seemed to far to either the main building or the buses.

We would highly recommend this resort.

WDWCrazyKaren
01-23-2012, 08:34 AM
Personally, I'd go with POFQ, simply for the smaller size and close proximity to everything. There is nothing that is far away. POR is a beautiful resort, and if you stay close to the main hall, it would be great, but if you want to go anywhere else on property, it's a heck of a walk. Everything is close by at POFQ.

pox24
01-23-2012, 08:59 AM
My wife and i just spent a long week end. I just had surgery and wanted to be close to everything. It was awesome. We were placed in Room 9536 at Parterre Place. Literally a 30 second walk to the quiet pool. Just over the bridge from everything, right on the waterway. This king bed room was perfect. Boatwright's was very good and I think this hotel has the best food court than any other, even a carving station. Boats to DTD, POFQ is nice too but not as nice as Riverside. We have stayed at every WDW hotel at least twice and for a moderate it is for sure the best we've stayed at. Don't let the size of this resort scare you. :thumbsup:

brownie
01-23-2012, 11:28 AM
I'd lean towards Port Orleans French Quarter, too.

disney_daddy
01-23-2012, 01:53 PM
I'd lean towards Port Orleans French Quarter, We satyed at Riverside and it could be a very long walk. The rooms listed above may now be preferred rooms which cost extra. Also I believe the pool and the playland is kind of on an island and you'll have to cross a bridge to get there. What I'd recommend it using Magical Journeys, explain to them who's going and have them set it up for you. They are very good and it costs you nothing.

We LOVE Disney
01-23-2012, 02:52 PM
POR is wonderful for any age group! Ask for the Alligator Bayou...bldgs 14, 15 or 18. They are very close to the main building and shouldn't be a problem for anyone.

Keep in mind that those buildings are now known as "preferred location" buildings and cost a little more. POR is our FAVORITE we and have always gotten a buliding close to the main building. This is the first year we are going that it's going to cost extra now. Oh well, we love the preferred location buildings because getting a late night snack or drinks is nice and close and we don't mind letting the kids go alone (well, together alone......if that makes sense)

Cinderelley
01-24-2012, 01:40 AM
What are the mobility issues? We stayed in the mansions, and it was not a very long walk to the main building and bus stop, but there was also a bus stop right out the back side of our building. We stayed at Magnolia Terrace.
I think POR would be very romantic for the couple. When I went with my boyfriend I loved meandering through the resort looking at all the greenery.
The college aged group and the three year old would probably be happy anywhere. lol

Pigtunia
01-24-2012, 04:21 PM
POR is wonderful for any age group! Ask for the Alligator Bayou...bldgs 14, 15 or 18. They are very close to the main building and shouldn't be a problem for anyone. The quiet pools are very nice and the main pool is great for little ones. The food court is one of the best at any of the resorts. There is also a boat that you can take to Downtown Disney, which is a nice extra! In the Roost lounge, there is a wonderful performer that is awesome for the whole family. The atmosphere here is just amazing and you feel so relaxed!
(Can you tell this is our fav resort?) lol

Ditto!

Also, the mansions aren't really all that far from the main building either. We used to think that, but they're really quite close.

Another great thing is that POR (and FQ) are very central to all the parks.

buzznwoodysmom
01-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Having stayed at both POR and POFQ I'd definitely recommend FQ for your group. What I loved about the resort is that it's so small, compact, and charming.

It's the perfect resort for anyone with mobility issues. The walk from any room on property to either the pool, restaurant, or bus stop is a shorter walk than any other resort we've stayed at.

I also feel this resort has the perfect pool area for a 3 year old. The slide is visually wonderful, yet its not a huge, fast slide, perfect for the smaller guests.

It's very romantic and charming, great for the newlyweds.

There is also a great pool bar that the college set might enjoy.

I can't think of a single reason your group wouldn't love POFQ!

mom2morgan
01-24-2012, 10:12 PM
I think you are good at POR, but ask for a "preferred" location for the couple that doesn't want to walk far. I think POFQ is great for young families, but the pool and other entertainment opportunities at POR are better for adults (including the college age kids). To me it is just more "grown up" - and it has a table service restaurant on site, which POFQ doesn't.

steamboat52
01-24-2012, 10:29 PM
I knew I would get the terrific responses I needed. Thanks everyone!