PDA

View Full Version : From San Diego to DL?

JabberJaws
01-20-2012, 09:12 AM
So my wife and I are flying into San Diego and driving from SD to DL (DL is just a 2 nt portion of our trip, hence the flying into SD rather than Santa Ana).

Anyways, I will have a GPS with me, but was just curious. Mapquest says to take I-5. For those with experience, is that the best route to take, or is there another that is better?

We will be traveling at night, so rush hour and the like won't be a problem.

Thanks!

tinkwest
01-20-2012, 10:07 AM
Interstate 5 all the way. :car:

NewDVCowner
01-20-2012, 11:42 AM
And just because you're traveling at night, don't think that traffic won't be a problem. I was driving down from San Francisco one time and got to L.A. around midnight and was still stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. What a nightmare!

BelleBeauty
01-20-2012, 01:31 PM
We've done the same drive on weekdays in the morning. As long as you aren't in rush hour you should be fine.

We always play a game that whoever sees the Matterhorn first from the highway gets $1 (from DH's childhood), but I don't know if you can see the mountain at night!

JabberJaws
01-23-2012, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the tips everyone! Seems I-5 is the way to go.

WDW_Obsessed
02-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Our experience has been that the traffic isn't bad at all coming from San Diego to Anaheim. If you get much past Anaheim on I-5 then yes, it tends to be bumper-to-bumper regardless of the time of day (or night for that matter!) but we've done the SD to DL lots of times with no traffic problems, even on weekends. No worries

BrerGnat
02-15-2012, 05:39 PM
Just wanted to clarify, there's really not another viable option. I-5 is basically the only direct way.

If there is some godawful accident or sigalert on I-5 north of the 5/405 split, you can take 405, then the 55 or the 22 East, up to Anaheim/Garden Grove. This is a major detour, though, and should only be used in case of a serious traffic incident.